• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Liverpool on Wipeout 2048 page: " WE. ARE. ALIVE. " [Well, not really]

Cornbread78

What? Kamiya isn't involved in the new DmC game. And Bayonetta 2 going Wii U exclusive wasn't due to some sort of hatred for Sony.

I'm glad to hear on the first part....I just need more coffee I guess because I thought he was it's creator as well....

The second part is up in the air, hasn't he trashed Sony a few times on twitter the past couple months? That of Nintendo just moneyhatted it...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Incredible news if true. Really hoping they still are a Sony first party and everyone got to keep keep their job.

Could it be possible that Liverpool Council along with some unnamed investor(s), bought the staff and resources from Sony post-closure, allowing the studio to be reopened as a semi/fully-independent entity with a new name?

I've no idea if this is feasible, we have so little information I'm just throwing ideas out to see what sticks.

If that was the case, I'd wonder if the agreement includes remaining exclusive to Sony, or complete self-determination regarding what formats their games appear on.

Tripolygon

Banned
adkmzPc0.gif

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm glad to hear on the first part....I just need more coffee I guess because I thought he was it's creator as well....

The second part is up in the air, hasn't he trashed Sony a few times on twitter the past couple months? That of Nintendo just moneyhatted it...

Devil May Cry was created by Kamiya, but he has no involvment in the new DmC game since he doesn't work for Capcom anymore. I don't know about Kamiya trashing Sony, but it wasn't really a moneyhat by Nintendo. Bayo 2 was cancelled by Sega, and pretty much dead, but Nintendo struck a deal with Platinum and Sega where Nintendo funds the game and publishes it in return for exclusivity. The game wouldn't have existed without Nintendo.

Could it be possible that Liverpool Council along with some unnamed investor(s), bought the staff and resources from Sony post-closure, allowing the studio to be reopened as a semi/fully-independent entity with a new name?

I've no idea if this is feasible, we have so little information I'm just throwing ideas out to see what sticks.

If that was the case, I'd wonder if the agreement includes remaining exclusive to Sony, or complete self-determination regarding what formats their games appear on.

I would imagine that's exactly what has happened. They can work for who they want, on what they want. They might do some sweet deals with Sony on exclusive stuff or whatever, but they could make a PC game if they wanted.

I am sure there will be a press release soon.....

I would imagine that's exactly what has happened. They can work for who they want, on what they want. They might do some sweet deals with Sony on exclusive stuff or whatever, but they could make a PC game if they wanted.

I am sure there will be a press release soon.....

Wait, do you have some kind of confirmation for this?

Only what I said a few posts back.

I know they were in talks with various options since closing. I guess since they have updated the Facebook page they have closed a deal.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If anything, if they are coming back, I imagine them taking a long break from the futuristic racing genre. It's probably just not bringing in the sales it needs, regardless of the extreme levels of quality.

Studio Liverpool working on a fresh project makes me pretty excited though!

Cornbread78

Devil May Cry was created by Kamiya, but he has no involvment in the new DmC game since he doesn't work for Capcom anymore. I don't know about Kamiya trashing Sony, but it wasn't really a moneyhat by Nintendo. Bayo 2 was cancelled by Sega, and pretty much dead, but Nintendo struck a deal with Platinum and Sega where Nintendo funds the game and publishes it in return for exclusivity. The game wouldn't have existed without Nintendo.

That makes more sense, Thanks for the clarification.

I just hope it's still a good relationship SL and Sony. Whipeout is a great franchise and I was really surprised to hear they were closed in the first place....

gtmax

If Sony shuts them down, does Sony own the name "Studio Liverpool" as well? I wish they'd become independent but that Sony let's them work on Wipeout and publish it on any platform. Maybe workout a deal where Sony gets some money out of it? Nah, sounds implausible.

I've been playing the hell out of Wipeout Fury. it's such a damn polished game. Online is a blast too. I hope the core guys stay together and become an independent contracting team.

Takao

Banned
I'm not sure why some seem to think Sony isn't involved. This was posted on an official WipEout page. WipEout is an IP owned by Sony.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
If Sony shuts them down, does Sony own the name "Studio Liverpool" as well? I wish they'd become independent but that Sony let's them work on Wipeout and publish it on any platform. Maybe workout a deal where Sony gets some money out of it? Nah, sounds implausible.

I've been playing the hell out of Wipeout Fury. it's such a damn polished game. Online is a blast too. I hope the core guys stay together and become an independent contracting team.

Never going to happen, sorry.

Unless Sony goes third-party.

8bit

Knows the Score
Nintendo should pick them up and have them do F-Zero.

Part of me would like to see the Wipeout in dev repackaged as F-Zero, this place would be hilarious. But as it is, it's good to hear there is some sort of future for the studio, one of my first personally bought games was Imagine's Arcadia for the Vic-20 and the Studio Liverpool news made me sad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not sure why some seem to think Sony isn't involved. This was posted on an official WipEout page. WipEout is an IP owned by Sony.

They might have used that account just because they know it's what interested parties are following.

However, using the wipeout artwork in concert with it would be...an unfortunate tease/error, if any new arrangement didn't have any connection with the IP. The most obvious connection would be via contract or ownership by Sony. Unless Sony sold them the rights to the IP but I would guess that is kind of doubtful...

I've been sent this (I'm an admin at GRcade where the story of Sony Liverpool closing originally broke):
That Tweet should not have been posted, Studio Liverpool is closed, there is no new Wipeout game. Ami Nakajima was not released [I wonder why ;) ], she was just tweeting to say that she "is still alive". Which is pretty tactless.

Corto

Sony could be involved ensuring some kind of special future relationship with this "new" studio that would arise from Studio Liverpool ashes. Like Bungie regaining their independency from MS and going multiplatform.

Top Bottom