• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

i like the size, but not sure about the top loader design...
i think I will get a second regular slim in some cheap bundle for christmas to put in my gf's lounge...

DieH@rd

Banned

They described this as Ethernet cable:
qqf5kfx.jpg

Looks more like HDMI.

Clicking on the link in bigtroyjon's cite of my post takes you to the below.
So I take it this is you saying all of the out-there speculation you've been posting is still happening and you'll be posting about depth cameras, HDMI pass-thru and California energy laws for another two years?

from the ps blog:

"owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket"

Does anyone know if the mounting bracket is included in the bundle or sold separately?
i was hoping for a price drop anyway to replace my noisy 60GB ps3.. :(

Is the 12GB model only for Europe or will it release in NA too? If so would it be $229?

http://hardware-review24.com/news/sony_debuts_smaller_and_lighter_playstation_3/2012-09-20-758 said:
According to some unofficial information, the new PlayStation 3 super-slim model (CECH-40) is powered by IBM Cell microprocessor made using 32nm process technology as well as Nvidia RSX graphics processor produced using 28nm fabrication process. Thinner manufacturing technologies for key chips allowed Sony to reduce maximum power consumption of the new PS3
There is no support anywhere for this.

http://www.develop-online.net/press-releases/91110/PlayStation-3

With the extra HDD capacity which has been extended from 320GB and 160GB, users can store and enjoy more and more entertainment content including games, music, photos, and video on the new PS3. In addition, the new PS3 with 12GB flash memory offers opportunities to experience the world of PlayStation® at an affordable price point. Users can also expand the storage capacity of the new PS3 with 12GB flash memory by connecting a dedicated HDD (250GB) to be released concurrently with the new PS3 *1

*1 When using dedicated HDD, flash memory cannot be used as inner storage
Really disappointing. Can someone put a current reader on the PS3 4K and give us a power use at the XMB. If around 60 watts it's still PS3 3000 chips, if less then Cell and RSX may have smaller die and # 1 above is probably correct.

I thought that it was impossible to shrink the Cell's die below 45nm... oh wait!
Not impossible just very difficult and probably not worth the effort at 32nm. This is the opinion of a Eurogamer article, a 2010 Sony interview mentions skipping 32nm for Cell and the Linkedin article I posted of an IBM employee has work on a Xbox 360 @32nm finished and work on 22nm L2 cache for Cell and it appeared that work was suspended/not completed? Possibly waiting for 22nm process to be closer. At 22nm for both Cell and RSX it could probably meet the Goldstar rating and California's Game console requirements with out shifting to more modern hardware.

The above is all I have been able to find. As I said there is no support for the "rumor".

Brad Grenz said:
Eurogamer has some superslims. They posted an article with pictures of the hard drive slot and have power draw tests planned.
Thanks, I hadn't heard that.

Edit:

There were many reasons why I speculated Sony would totally redesign the PS3 this refresh, that if not done this refresh, imply a roadmap going forward that does not include the PS3 as a separate console.

It all depends on the cost of the PS4, if PS3 BC can be included economically and what it would cost Sony to refresh the PS3 to 22nm at the end of it's life. (22nm refresh would be released late 2014) Given Sony statements that they plan to support the PS3 till 2015, maybe more, it doesn't seem likely.

If the target price of the PS4 is close to $299 with a 500 gig hard disk and Sony keeps the PS3 price at $200 because they can't or do not want to spend the money for a complete redesign (that would allow for a cheaper PS3), who would buy a PS3 at $200 when they can get a PS4 at $299?

My mistake, if my speculation is wrong, was in believing that Sony would keep supporting the PS3 as a bottom end lower price game console primarily for the XMB/Browser front end. That they would redesign for a 1 chip SoC they could sell cheaper like Microsoft did with the 360S @ 45nm and is likely going to further reduce the price of the Xbox 360 refresh @ 32nm to be released this year.

Look at the press at the PS3 4K price; everyone is saying Sony is making a big mistake. Will Microsoft make the same mistake or can we expect a cheaper Xbox 360 this holiday season?

We still don't know the power usage of the PS3 4K....that will give us information, a tear-down and picture of the PS3 4K motherboard more information. If it's a one chip 35 watt at the XMB motherboard design (complete redesign using modern hardware or Coreless (cheaper to manufacture) and more efficient) then it changes the PS3 endgame.

From NathansFortune, a Sony Software Developer's post on BY3D 5/2011

Yes, I've always thought that the 2009 model is what Sony wanted to launch in 2006. There is definitely another slim in the pipeline before PS3 is EOL'd. It will be 32nm Cell, 28nm RSX, 2x 1Gbit XDR chips at 32nm, 2x 1Gbit GDDR3 at 28nm, and 20GB NAND with an empty 2.5" HDD slot for people who want to upgrade. If Sony really want to monetise they could make it 1.8" and team up with Toshiba to sell standard 1.8" drives with PlayStation branding and a tidy markup.

That would be the final stage of PS3 cost-cutting, and it will give Sony access to the $149/129/99 market for times after PS4 launches.
The thrust of the ?speculation? (seems too detailed to be speculation) is the same as mine (Cheaper PS3 refresh) but I could find no work by IBM on a 32nm Cell processor just Xbox 360 @ 32nm International project with no mention of the elements in the CPU just the cache (could have included SPUs). RSX @28nm and Cell @32nm with both coreless might meet the 35 watts at the XMB for 3rd tier EPA Goldstar specs.

But there is a statement that Sony was skipping 32nm for Cell and the IBM Linkedin Employee post with work on Cell at 22nm.

In any case I've ordered a PS3 4K chassis and if no one has done a power reading at the XMB I'll post one in this thread.

AlStrong

I thought that it was impossible to shrink the Cell's die below 45nm... oh wait!

It's not impossible, just extremely difficult. The layout (as it is/was) is not as well suited to conventional shrinking due to the placement of the memory controllers & FlexIO - the EIB connection makes things rather peculiar for layouts. (external buses are harder to shrink because those are the physical connections)

The amount of area reduction is quite pitiful after two full nodes (from 235mm^2 to 115mm^2).

netBuff

Eurogamer has some superslims. They posted an article with pictures of the hard drive slot and have power draw tests planned.

Their current article reads more like a design critique and doesn't provide much in terms of technical information. But Eurogamer seem to have planned a more in-depth look at the new PS3 Slim at a later date.

I'm mainly wondering which exact model of hard drive Sony ships, as I'm interested in upgrading a 12 GB model myself. Newer drives all use 4 KB "Advanced Format" formatting, which apparently performs worse on the current PS3 compared to traditional drives with 512 byte sectors.

Were Sony to ship drives with 4 KB sectors in their new "Superslim", that would indicate their new firmware to be able to take advantage of advanced format drives and align partitions properly.

I'm mainly wondering which exact model of hard drive Sony ships, as I'm interested in upgrading a 12 GB model myself. Newer drives all use 4 KB "Advanced Format" formatting, which apparently performs worse on the current PS3 compared to traditional drives with 512 byte sectors.

Were Sony to ship drives with 4 KB sectors in their new "Superslim", that would indicate their new firmware to be able to take advantage of advanced format drives and align partitions properly.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-hands-on-with-the-new-playstation-3

Prying open the top end of the casing reveals the hard drive bay, where we find a standard 5400rpm Hitachi hard drive - a Z5K500 HTS545050A7E380 model. It's a single platter 7mm drive but the bracket is large enough to support the more common 9.5mm units too.

http://www.storagereview.com/hitachi_travelstar_z5k500_review_hts545050a7e380

Aside from its monster 500GB single platter design and 7mm z-height, the Z5K500 has little in the way of uniqueness. It does use the new 4K Advanced Format, which increases the age-old 512b sector size by a factor of eight; theoretically this improves performance and reliability by a small amount (though in our testing, the difference is quite small).

netBuff

Prying open the top end of the casing reveals the hard drive bay, where we find a standard 5400rpm Hitachi hard drive - a Z5K500 HTS545050A7E380 model. It's a single platter 7mm drive but the bracket is large enough to support the more common 9.5mm units too.

Thanks for quoting the information, I missed the image caption. That's very good news for future do-it-yourself PS3 drive upgrades :D

netBuff

Is that cheap for Europe?

I assume that the 12gb ps3 will hit North America when the supply chain is empty.

Considering prices for the PS3 Slim 320 GB model over the last 90 days it is pretty much the opposite of cheap (quoted prices include all taxes):

Prices in Austria:
mPscj.png

Prices all over the EU:
ntfwz.png

Not looking good, they can't reduce the price as much as Xbox can, they will use more power than Xbox and if Xbox 361 comes with a HDMI pass-thru and Microsoft has a two tier Xbox Live and allows internet access/Browser without having to pay a fee then it's a game changer until the PS4. I expect the PS4 to be a $299-$399 game console with HDMI pass-thru and Google TV like interface (Just like in the Leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint). Xbox 720 will have Two SKUs a 5 Tuners 4 Gig of RAM model and 8 Tuners 6 Gig of
ram model.
PS4 and Xbox 720 about the same gaming performance but the PS4 cheaper to make.

Both platforms are targeting the living room and XTV; ATSC 2.0 and hbbTV DVB as well as Cable custom solutions built on ATSC-DVB Software stacks and Tru2Way/RVU. Xbox 720 with built in tuners and PS4 with HDMI pass-thru and something separate like NASNE providing Tuners/cablecard.

Oh, the Eurogamer article quoted the same Linkedin post I found, possible they found it reading one of my posts. Implications are not good for a separate PS3 console going forward BUT at the same time I believe a cheaper PS4 with backward compatibility is coming.

If Sony didn't spend the money to refresh the PS3 chipset this time I don't expect them to do so in 2 years. On the other hand I think both Sony and Microsoft next generation machines will be amazing with both concentrating on providing every feature we have heard about since 2010 with well thought out easy for developers to use libraries. As I said; "AMD is betting the farm on HSA" and will be full partners in insuring well developed libraries to take advantage of the hardware.

It was all orthogonal before, but rotating some of the chips must help them fit it onto a slightly smaller board.

OOOOH. I mistook what you said, I thought you meant chip heat. Lmao.

Yeah, I was like "wut" when I saw them at that angle as well, but it works I guess... the Bluray Drive is MUCH smaller too and also angled as well. It's odd to see.

OOOOH. I mistook what you said, I thought you meant chip heat. Lmao.

Yeah, I was like "wut" when I saw them at that angle as well, but it works I guess... the Bluray Drive is MUCH smaller too and also angled as well. It's odd to see.

Yeah I should have said diagonal. Only skipped through so I didn't notice the angled blu ray, that does look odd.

Neo Child

Banned
okay cool, could easily convert them though right?

I had videos on my old ps3 but I'll probably buy this new one to act as my media hub. I don't play games on it cause I hate the play station controller. also heavy rain move looks fun WAGGLE TO CHOP OFF UR HAND

Pooya

^ you're comparing the package size, that's mostly pointless. the RSX die is below the metal heat spreader, you can only see it in Super Slim shot in middle of 4 gddr3 ram chips. This is how RSX looked like in earlier models. you can see that it's smaller now because it's on a smaller technology, but package size is pretty much same still. I can't find any pics of it in the slim models. The RSX package in SSdoesn't have the metallic heat spreader, the pack size is still same, don't compare the die in super slim with the pack in previous models.

800px-RSX-GDDR-BGA-lifted.jpg

it had a square shape before, now it's rectangular and smaller

SS

Top Bottom