• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

We expect it to be heavily used but if you think about how often you're killed while reloading, when in that normal animation you get killed and how frequently you get to reload clear of danger, you can see its utility shrink (defensively) but that said, iit's on of my go-tos in part because of the psychological feeling of safety it provides.

I actually found that the animation without Dexterity was fast enough with the BR at least to warrant not needing it. Are you guys going to release the stats and numbers at any time? Will be interesting to see what the difference is like with certain perks.

Actually it would be great if you guys could explain the nitty gritty behind some of the perks, some of them behave in ways which isnt clear and would not be picked up on in normal play. I.e. on the podcast you explained shielding only takes effect during the shield recharge itself, and doesnt make the recharge happen sooner. - those kinds of things really effect the decisions behind which specs to use.

So after standing in the VIP line (without actually being a VIP :p), I got to play one match of regicide on Longbow. Really short impression:
Movement is good, feels like Halo. Not a fan of global ordnance at all. Regicide is weird. Don't think I like it.

Regicide on Longbow? I cant help but think that sounds like a bad combination.

JonCha

We expect it to be heavily used but if you think about how often you're killed while reloading, when in that normal animation you get killed and how frequently you get to reload clear of danger, you can see its utility shrink (defensively) but that said, iit's on of my go-tos in part because of the psychological feeling of safety it provides.

Does Dexterity work with power weapons? Getting a quick double kill with rockets because I could reload quicker seems a little ovepowered.

I think all of the support upgrades sound like they will make a decent size difference in comparison to the tactical upgrades:

Ammo - Having more ammo in all weapons... loadout AND ordnance. More shots in sniper, rockets, incinerator, needler (which I here needs ammo), sticky det, saw, etc... all great things to have extra ammo on. Could make a huge difference. Getting 6 rockets instead of 4 rockets sounds devastatingly powerful.

Dexterity - I don't need to cover this... lol

Sensor - As a camo player I know how awesome the radar is and if you are a player built around avoidance and engaging only in 1v1s, this could be your saving grace.

Awareness - Could be good for a sniper/DMR player, not really sold on its usefulness.

Explosive - Better chance for your grenades to hit AND taking less damage. We all know how awesome grenades can be, this sounds just awesome.

Ordnance Priority - I'm still convinced this will be a game changer in an ordnance chaining strategy. Keep dropping saws, OSs, damage boosts, speed boosts, snipers, etc. If you typically get 3-5 ordnance drops in a single game then I can see this being a real contender.

Stealth - Pretty obvious... it has 3 bonuses for stealth players like myself. Totally awesome. One of the few multi-faceted mods.

Stability - Not sure how big this will be now that they've changed it so that every weapon stays in scope, you just "flinch" on hits... I could see it being awesome if you were still unscoped, but not sure if it is worth the anti flinch.

Gunner - This could just be fun to use with turrets... hopefully it improves turn speed as well. Also gets better the faster vehicle turrets overheat. Not really sold though.

Drop Recon - This seems like it could be a big deal. Depending on how much earlier you get the notification it means you get to power weapons sooner and are able to use them on anyone that is going for them. You can also use this as bait for an ambush if you already have a decent weapon like the saw. Also gets better in a team communication setting.

Nemesis - Many people were worried about this as information is a powerful thing. It apparently only lasts a few seconds, but it could definitely give you a goal for revenge points which could fill up your ordnance meter faster.

Overall I think the best are Dexterity, Ammo, Ordnance Priority, Explosive, and Drop Recon. Stealth and Sensor with specific players and maybe Nemesis. Gunner, Stability, and Awareness don't really feel up to par right now. But I also haven't played the game. lol...

Talents

Banned
Ordnance Priority - I'm still convinced this will be a game changer in an ordnance chaining strategy. Keep dropping saws, OSs, damage boosts, speed boosts, snipers, etc. If you typically get 3-5 ordnance drops in a single game then I can see this being a real contender.

You can drop yourself overshields and damage boosters?

WUT!?

You can drop yourself overshields and damage boosters?

WUT!?

Yes...personal ordnance in infinity slayer has powerups (speedboost, overshields, and damage boosters) as a choice instead of a weapon.

Still think camo should be in with those three instead of an AA

DeadNames

Banned
The more I think of it, the more I start to dislike personal ordnance and the perks...

I'm fine with customizable loadouts though.

05mnP.jpg
Well it has been a good weekend so far. I got a copy of the Halo 2 map pack, the non limited edition Halo 2 manual, and a brand new Halo 3 Cat Helmet Edition all for $60. Not bad.

So we know that Grenadier gives you an extra grenade in your loadout, but does it also increase your grenade pickups by 1 (up to 3 since they typically come in pairs)?

Could anyone take the Chief from waste up in this pic and avatarize it for me?

infinityrally01jpg-4419c3.jpg

I can't figure out how to do it without making it super blurry.

Louis Wu

Yeah... not gonna happen.

One of the best games we've seen so far was this one - a 29-0 run. (I SERIOUSLY doubt there are more than a handful of GAFfers that can say they've EVER had a game that good - and NONE that have had MULTIPLE games that good.)

That guy got 4 drops.

5 is pretty much out of the question. Even 3 is non-trivial. Most of us will see one or two.

feel

Will a below average player be left out of the killstreak/powerweapon fun? That doesn't seem cool.

Every time I see a .gif of a BR I get so excited lol.

#teambattlerifleforlife
Yeah! Return of the empowered individual and interesting montages?? Hope so.

Will a below average player be left out of the killstreak/powerweapon fun? That doesn't seem cool.

Yeah! Return of the empowered individual and interesting montages??

Well, seeing as kills aren't the only way to get that meter up, I'd definitely say that most players in a single game will get to the first one.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sucks to hear that Marcus Lehto left Bungie and Marathon 4 may never see the light of day. :(

Seems to be an exodus from high profile companies as of late.

I can confirm, that I hold the first official pictures of Overdoziz.

I will release them to the highest bidder.

Wearing a nice jacket. he is not obese.

Those of us on FB have seen him already. ;)

Weak.

Tashi better release Dax pics from NYCC without consent. He's the only longtime gaffer that hasn't shown his face.

Yeah he has. It was a while back though, unless that was a joke. If I remember right he was a slightly chubby long haired pimply kid.

TheOddOne

*Perk breakdown*
Stealth plus camo could be an interesting mix, and also will be really annoying if used effectively. The more I think about it, I do wonder how different kind of AA’s and perks will play off each other – not just the obvious ones like going all stealthy. There are bound to be flaws in them.

Yeah... not gonna happen.

One of the best games we've seen so far was this one - a 29-0 run. (I SERIOUSLY doubt there are more than a handful of GAFfers that can say they've EVER had a game that good - and NONE that have had MULTIPLE games that good.)

That guy got 4 drops.

5 is pretty much out of the question. Even 3 is non-trivial. Most of us will see one or two.

Is it confirmed that points dictate personal ordnance?

Even at two ordnance I can see this being useful because you will get to your ordnance quicker and up the potential for a third, which unlocks the potential for a fourth. Essentially you get earlier ordnance and more than likely one additional ordnance than you would normally be able to get. I'd say that is still pretty worth it. And we are talking Team Slayer... if BTB is still to around 100 kills this gets even better because then you also get access to snipers in ordnance drops.

EDIT: How 'bout this if it unlocks the potential for 3-5 ordnance drops then it is totally worth it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Stealth plus camo could be an interesting mix, and also will be really annoying if used effectively. The more I think about it, I do wonder how different kind of AA’s and perks will play off each other – not just the obvious ones like going all stealthy. There are bound to be flaws in them.

Fuck dat noise.

I can't wait to use my headphones like radar though.

My ideas...what if...they're all funny?

NOPE.

You're joking, right? I can never tell with you.

Am I?

;)

Wth? Shitty reviews... "AR is OP"? Source

Good thing us LE users get a skin for that beast.

GET ON MY LEVEL BR USERS!

GAF folks.

Anyone want to play Halo or Murder Miners?

Disclaimer: I have not tried Murder Miners yet, so I will likely be god tier at it. Just prepare yourself for that.

GAF folks.

Anyone want to play Halo or Murder Miners?

Disclaimer: I have not tried Murder Miners yet, so I will likely be god tier at it. Just prepare yourself for that.

I will be on both this afternoon. Watching some football right now and eating lunch will be on in two hours.

Gray Man

Banned
I think I knew where the Marketing budget for Halo 4 went.

A week before release they will carve the Diadact symbol into the moon.

Or at least this happened in my dreams.

yeah.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
To avoid giving him hits.

As last year's Halo: Anniversary Edition indicated, Microsoft's flagship series has shown little sign of waning popularity. Typically of such series, this edition is the 6th in the range (not counting Halo Wars, just the first person shooters). However, this was the first not to be developed by Bungie , but rather 343 Studios. Settling down for a quick dose of the multiplayer mode, I wondered what had, or could, be changed to such a well known staple of the Xbox diet.

The answer, of course, was very little. It looks like Halo, plays like Halo, sounds like Halo, and is extremely similar to the previous outings, to the point it is very hard to tell what, if anything, has actually been done to the gameplay itself. There are more superficial and noticeable changes - the graphics look terrific and highly polished, whilst the option of different load-outs (as opposed to character classes) could be beneficial depending on the opponent – whilst old complaints still remain. The balance is still a major problem, with the assault rifle in particular feeling overpowered, and the shield still makes multiplayer combat problematic.

Still, if you love Halo then you will love this. All the staples are here; the fast paced combat, wild grenade fights and up-close punch-outs still rule supreme, as does the rare team player. Key weapons are now highlighted on the map in team death-match; a delay of a few seconds when picking up the items makes it a risky manoeuvre to attempt.

Realistically, there isn't really enough in the way of improvement or refinement to justify this as a new addition to the series from a multiplayer perspective; there is barely evolution here, let alone revolution. Yet, this may be a welcome relief to fans who have grown to love the signature multiplayer experience and who simply want more of the same. Judging by the fleeting glimpse offered at the heaving Eurogamer stand, this is exactly what they will be getting.

Regicide on Longbow? I cant help but think that sounds like a bad combination.
It is pretty big and yeah pretty boring for Regicide. Regicide is much more fun on Haven or Adrift.

OT but does anyone have the same problems with avatars like me? It seems they aren't getting loaded. I don't know the problem but it is kinda annoying. I already cleared my cache and used CCleaner too but both did not help.

raindoc

Wth? Shitty reviews... "AR is OP"? Source

It looks like Halo, plays like Halo, sounds like Halo, and is extremely similar to the previous outings, to the point it is very hard to tell what, if anything, has actually been done to the gameplay itself.

after watching the H4 forum on waypoint explode during, before, after and in between each and every bit of info regarding changes in MP that was handed out by 343i, that came unexpected.

Top Bottom