• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword of Legendia (Wii) is the RPG Namco listed for Wii and likely ToL-Chloe-centered

I think this deserves a thread for speculation and discussion.

As you already know, Namco had 1 RPG listed for every next gen platform. Trusty Bell was revealed to be X360 and now Namco lists Sword of Legendia (Tentative Name) as RPG for Wii. PS3 still has its game as 'New RPG'.
http://namco-ch.net/list_game/list.php?hid=29
ソード オブ レジェンディア(仮称)(RPG)

There's more...in the Wii's interviews:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/interview.html

The first guy, if I'm right, is Makoto Yoshizumi (吉積 信) or thats what I think the upper kanji says. He's ToS producer if you remember the credits...
h-103_32779_cesa0002.jpg.jpg

He talks a little about the controller and then presents this...
swordoflegendiayk5.jpg

Sword of Legendia, with a Chloe-resemblant artwork...

Image1fxgjdfjgnj.png

· So, lets see, this 'Sword of Legendia' is the RPG that Namco had announced, listed for Wii.
· It seems its a Namco Tales Studio project if Yoshizumi is showing it.
ToL's producer was Jun Toyoda and it was made by a Namco Internal Team.
· And by the name and the artwork, it seems its Tales of Legendia and Chloe centered. Sword fits both Chloe and Wii...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I hope this isnt another 'use your wiimote like a sword' type of game that shit is getting really old.

sprocket

Banned
Error2k4 said:
I hope this isnt another 'use your wiimote like a sword' type of game that shit is getting really old.

Probably , But maybe its just for the battle system like i hope the DQ game is . :(

Error2k4 said:

When it was unveiled that seemed like the concept that peopel most wanted to see put to use (other than FPS).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I thought Tales of Legendia was the worst one recently?
Why not just base it off Symphonia, since that was, ya know, the only Nintendo GC release?

Error2k4 said:
That wouldn't surprise me, but they do call it an RPG, so there has to be more to it than that.

John Harker said:
Why not just base it off Symphonia, since that was, ya know, the only Nintendo GC release?
It doesn't seem to be a Tales of.. game. 'Sword of' Legendia just sounds like a stupid generic name.

Error

it seems like a lazy way to implement wiimote controls and screams gimmick... I seriously hope not all rpgs are like that.

Acosta

Old? Yes, I´m so tired of playing that type of game in my Wii.. buff, wish they stop with that shit already...

Irony apart, yes, I want sword games using wii, I want developers nail a complex melee combat system using the wiimote. If they manage to do that someway, I would be more than satisfied with the console (that and a Jedi Outcast with light saber combat so we can free the inner nerd everyone has inside).

MrDaravon

Hell yes, that would be awesome. Say what you will about ToL, it had a great cast, so hopefully it's with Chloe or someone from ToL.

Error

If Atlus goes this route with the SMT Wii game I will be seriously pissed.

let's just say that I dont want this "use wiimote like a sword" shit in every RPG, DQS is fine.

Error2k4 said:

Huh?
I want hundreds and hundreds of sword-play games.
There is no better weapon than a sword, and there is no better console to features such weapons than the Wii.

Zeed

Banned
Why Legendia? Didn't Legendia sell like the least of any of the PS2 Tales?

Give me Sword of Phantasia you ****s!

Error

MasterMFauli said:
Huh?
I want hundreds and hundreds of sword-play games.
There is no better weapon than a sword, and there is no better console to features such weapons than the Wii.
what? **** no

if every RPG on Wii has to have some gimmicky stuff like that, I'll bail out quickly on RPGs for Wii.

duckroll

I hope you find the Sword of Legendia which allows you to break out of the ToL world (which is really VR) and proceed to kill all the staff members behind the creation of that horrible game.

I would buy TEN copies of the game if Namco does that!

Error

MasterMFauli said:
Why is that "gimmicky stuff" ?!?
Are you...Mark Rein?:lol
stuff like swing your wii like a sword that doesnt add ANYTHING to the RPG formula is gimmicky.

now if the Wiimote is used for puzzles and a battle system that is completely designed around the motion sensing capabilities of the Wiimote is actually good then yeah that isnt gimmicky.

duckroll

The fact that it's called SWORD of Legendia, and not Tales of Legendia ~Chloe's Adventures~ should clue people in that it's most likely not going to play like a standard Tales game at all. Since Tales is really all about the battles systems (which is why ToL is a failure), don't put too much hope in this cash-in!

This is way more disappointing than Tales-of-Harmonia-the-new-Symphonia-team-Tales-on-Wii we were all hoping for :-(

Chloe is the best person from the Legendia cast though.

ethelred

Error2k4 said:

Quoted. I hope it's not, too.

John Harker said:

Tales of Legendia is considered by many, and by me certainly, to be the weakest. And yeah... it's certainly odd that they'd not do a Symphonia spinoff instead.

Error2k4 said:
it seems like a lazy way to implement wiimote controls and screams gimmick... I seriously hope not all rpgs are like that.

It's not lazy or gimmicky -- it can certainly be done well by talented developers -- but it does stand a serious chance of being overdone and overused. Let's say this: it's not lazy, but it's also not the most creative way to use the controller, and unfortunately will probably be used as the easy out for a lot of RPGs.

And that would certainly be very undesirable.

The Wiimote has a LOT of potential for really great innovations in RPGs - and while this is one way to use it and can be used to make a very good RPG (I expect DQS to be quite good) it's just the most obvious and I really hope developers think beyond such a simplistic approach.

duckroll said:
The fact that it's called SWORD of Legendia, and not Tales of Legendia ~Chloe's Adventures~ should clue people in that it's most likely not going to play like a standard Tales game at all. Since Tales is really all about the battles systems (which is why ToL is a failure), don't put too much hope in this cash-in!

I'm not. :/

I mean, if this is by Team Symphonia, it certainly has lots of potential -- I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until we see/learn more about it. But is it really by them? Or is a producer from Team Symphonia just, like, vageuly overseeing a spinoff game?

Either way, I would've preferred either an actual, genuine Tales game from Team S, or something more original than what the name of this game implies.

jarrod

Banned
Speculation time...

Tales of Harmonia = Trusty Bell (tri-Crescendo)

Tales of Legendia (original GC Symphonia followup) = Sword of Legendia (Team Symphonia)

Zeed

Banned
ethelred said:
Tales of Legendia is considered by many, and by me certainly, to be the weakest. And yeah... it's certainly odd that they'd not do a Symphonia spinoff instead.
It boggles the mind. This would've been a perfect opportunity to fill the huge gap between Symphonia and Phantasia.

Its not confirmed to be Team Symphonia at all, its not even confirmed to be Namco Tales Studio.

Tales of Harmonia = Tales of the Abyss

I said that many times, its just one of the other trademarks Namco tends to register before choosing one for the game.

-Tales of Harmonia
-Tales of the Abyss
-Tales of Mirage

-Tales of Justice
-Tales of Rebirth
-Tales of Honesty

-Tales of the Tempest
-Tales of Doom Sign
-Tales of Two Faiths
-Tales of Howling

-Tales of the Voice -> Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Edition

Although I agree with jarrod, Legendia and Abyss were both planned for GC, 3D tales to GC, 2D to PS2. We know how it end it up though.

Sagitario

I really like the ToL characters (and ToL in general, the hate this game gets is exaggerated), so I wouldn't mind... I hope that Go Shiina is on board at least... and if Tales Studio is working on this, it can't be that bad...

I just hope they include Norma... :D
normajaydancefb1.gif

BTW... New Chloe art > old Chloe art

ethelred

Farore said:
I really like the ToL characters (and ToL in general, the hate this game gets is exaggerated), so I wouldn't mind... I hope that Go Shiina is on board at least... and if Tales Studio is working on this, it can't be that bad...

BTW... New Chloe art > old Chloe art

FWIW, I don't *hate* Tales of Legendia -- I just feel it's the weakest of all the Tales games I've played, and it's my least favorite.

The character designs were great, though. But I have to agree, this new art is pretty nice, and it does top the old work.

Well this certainly sounds stupid. My guess is it'll be a "slash" wiimote adventure like Dragon Quest Swords.

If Go Shiina is doing the music, however...I don't care how bad the game is; sign me up. :D

(But why not a new Tales completely? er)

ethelred

Out of general curiousity, are any of our more fluent Japanese-speaking buddies willing to take a good listen to this video and post a translation of what he's saying?

And maybe do so for a couple of the other notable devs, like Kawazu and Matsuno? Please?

Amir0x

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
There are so many Tales games that I won't ever consider buying one. It's nearing EA levels.

Ha, I'm in the same boat. I'm giving Abyss a shot, but if that one fails to impress me I'm done with the series :lol

Polari

AndoCalrissian said:
There are so many Tales games that I won't ever consider buying one. It's nearing EA levels.

I guess you won't be buying Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games either?

ethelred

Shouta said:
Actually, it's a pretty good example for pure number of games. =P

I meant it's not the best example because most people here won't touch Pokemon, regardless of how many games there are. :D

ivysaur12

Banned
Just, wow.

Namco-Bandai has a great opportunity to deliver a stellar Wii Tales title (or another RPG) for that matter...

...and they chose to make a spin-off to probably the worst Tales game ever. **** you, Namco-Bandai.

EDIT: Legendia wasn't even for the GC. WTF gives?

duckroll

The producer is Makoto Yoshizumi, so it's definitely a Tales Studio game. Having said that, I doubt it's Team Symphonia. Makoto produces pretty much anything Tales Studios puts out, regardless of the actual team behind the game. So we really know..... nothing! Yay! :p

ethelred

duckroll said:
The producer is Makoto Yoshizumi, so it's definitely a Tales Studio game. Having said that, I doubt it's Team Symphonia. Makoto produces pretty much anything Tales Studios puts out, regardless of the actual team behind the game. So we really know..... nothing! Yay! :p

Well, at least the game's being done by Tales Studio. Even though Team Symphonia is the best, it's not like Team Destiny sucks. But, er, why are you so doubtful it's Team S? We don't really know what they're working on at the moment, whereas we know Destiny is working on the remake.

BTW, translation please, ducky!

Top Bottom