I canít remember all the perks in Halo 4, and Iíd have a hard telling you which does what. There are a lot of options, which is great, and there doesnít seem to be any redundancies. Much to choose from! I rolled with Stability and Shielding.
That all being said, despite the variety of options I felt like I was forced to pick Stability. Itís the perk that stops you from flinching when youíre shot while zoomed in. When I first heard about the flinching, I was pretty sure I wasnít going to like it. And I donít. At all. I played one game without Stability, and I was having a frustrating experience. I am not a fan of mechanics that make it harder for the player to play the game. Make the game harder, donít make it harder for the player to play. Halo does not (until now) Ė and should not Ė†employ mechanics like this. I think 343 would be wise to get rid of the flinching in Halo 5 and stay away from such decisions in the future. In a game all about its sandbox, this detracts from it because it interferes with your ability to fully use the options you have.
When fighting Ė I donít know if it was just me Ė†but I didnít even notice the perks. Youíll probably be able to pick Ďem out with more play time, but for now I was clueless as to who was using what. I see that as a good thing because that means theyíre not dominating the combat or not determining outcomes.
Global Ordnance System
I canít really form an opinion on this yet. In my games of CTF and Oddball, I wasnít paying much attention to the GOS. I dunno why I wasnít, but from what I played I could see the problems others have said on here.
One thing I did notice was that under the new system, I was going for power weapons far less than I had in previous games. More often than not I would only go for a power weapon if it was on my way. I dunno if this trend will continue long after the game comes out, or if itís a good thing or bad thing.
Okay. Iím going to go over, one by one, what I think (briefly) of all the weapons I was able to try out. No view is set in stone.
1. Carbine - Quite useful, but could use a slight buff. I enjoyed using it.
2. Boltshot - This weapon is just plain fun. A joy to use. I love getting kills with the shotgun charge on this thing. Iím absolutely addicted to it, and I think this will be my most-used secondary weapon.
3. Needler - LOVE. With the removal of standard weapon spawns, this has freed 343 to buff up the Needler considerably, and it so wondrous. This is likely just me, but Iíd take this weapon over any power weapon. It is too much fun and packs a considerable punch.
4. Incinerator - As deadly as it sounds, and so much fun to use. Best not to screw around with this weapon.
5. Beam Rifle - Itís the Beam Rifle. Sound for it is great, and I love the HUD when youíre zoomed in.
6. Sticky Detonator - A solid weapon in its own right, but it ultimately falls short compared to the grenade launcher from Reach. A considerable amount of the nuance is gone.
7. Rockets: Rockets.
8. BR - Didnít use it very much, but it seemed like a solid weapon.
9. DMR - Same as BR.
10. AR - Didnít use it.
11. Saw - Always had a great time when I used it.
12. Binary rifle - Very, very easy to use. Out of all the weapons, this one was what I was most unsure about. I donít think limiting it to two rounds before reload is enough to balance it out.
13. Shotgun - I love the first-person perspective of this gun. Canít remember if I got any kills with it. I think I did.
14. Spartan Laser - May be finally balanced. When I was using it, I noticed the aim assist was gone when zoomed in. Could really change how the weapon plays.
15. Plasma pistol - Tracking ability is low. Itís the plasma pistol.
16. Railgun - So much fun. Love getting kills with this thing.
The great thing about the weapons in Halo 4 is that they all seem very fun to use because theyíre all very powerful in their own unique way. A benefit of abandoning the weapon spawn system of the past, I figure.
Anyway, I think thatís it. Overall I had a great time and am eager to play more. Ask any questions you want and Iíll answer what I can.
Once more, please donít let any of my thoughts give you worry. As Iíve said many times on this board, theyíre just impressions. Any of the opinions I have expressed once Iíve really sunk some time into the game.