• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

[Lots of pictures]

PfYM7.gif

Have you ever calculated how much money your collection is worth?

GameMaster78

Neo Member
PfYM7.gif

Have you ever calculated how much money your collection is worth?

I haven't. I sometimes dread to think what it costed. I just go with the mentality, "Oh, hey, more Skylanders stuff to buy. Buy-buy-buy."

EDIT: Here is what it all looked like when it came home.

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

DSC_0940.jpg

DSC_0929.jpg

By the way, that guide glows in the dark. It is exclusive to Walmart.

I haven't. I sometimes dread to think what it costed. I just go with the mentality, "Oh, hey, more Skylanders stuff to buy. Buy-buy-buy."

[More pics.]

Did some quick calculations, this post is worth more than 2000$. Damn.

Zing

Banned
They are saying middle of November. That's who I'm excited about too.
Who is "they"? We only have confirmation up through wave 2, and that was originally scheduled for November release. As far as I know, there is no known new release until after Christmas.

Ken

Seeing all your loot makes me kind of wish I was into the whole Skylanders craze.

Don't show your receipts though or it will break it.

Rootbeer

Banned
My heart goes out to any kids who live near GameMaster78 since they can't find any skylanders, and they most definitely can't find any of the variants or exclusives :p

Man and I thought the $200 I spent monday was overdoing it... O.O

Hmm, so, how exacly does the skylander figure-to-game relationship work? I know it uses NFC and stores some save data on the figure, but does the figure contain information embedded in it about its in-game model as well as powers, etc.? Like, when the game is released... does it already have all of the models, including all the possible variants, already on the game disc/cart? That really limits what future figures they can release, eh?

But I guess as long as they continue to release a new game every year it's not a huge deal.

TheGrue

Alright, I did what I said I wasn't going to do and got the rest of the Wave 1 stuff by buying the S2 versions of the original characters and the LC versions as well. My OCD got the best of me today. But I can find solace knowing that I will never go as far overboard as GameMaster78. ;)

Lenardo

Banned
my kids are plowing through the game.

usually they go the 2 giant route, but...in terms of chars:

we got most of the normal wave 1 group & an adventure pack

my kids have made copies of the character poster and have divvied up all the characters among the 3 of them, with negotiations on usage on some.

i do need to get a new display case though, the one we have up right now is too small, it is overfull now.

Hobbun

You keep this up GameMaster, and we’ll see you on the new season of Collection Invervention.

But I can relate. Where I spent nowhere near yourself, I spent way too much money on figures for the first game. Collected all the figures, except three (excluding collectibles).

I am going to try and curb it this time around. Not only because I don’t have the extra cash flow as I did before, but I just don’t have the space.

Although I spent over $200 when picking up my game and figures on Sunday. :/

bumpkin

You keep this up GameMaster, and we’ll see you on the new season of Collection Invervention.

But I can relate. Where I spent nowhere near yourself, I spent way too much money on figures for the first game. Collected all the figures, except three (excluding collectibles).

I am going to curb it this time around. Not only because I don’t have the extra cash flow as I did before, but I just don’t have the space.

Although I spent over $200 when picking up my game and figures on Sunday. :/
A buddy of mine who works at a GameStop went all out and collected the entire set of figures from the first game, legendary variants and all. Of course getting a discount on merch he buys from his store probably helped offset the cost a little. He ended up having to resort to ebay for a Wham-Shell though, IIRC. Myself, I think I only ended up with 15 or so. I doubt I'll go all out with Giants, other than maybe getting the series 2 of the characters I didn't buy for the first game. No way I'm going to re-buy ones I already own.

aparisi2274

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

DSC_0940.jpg

DSC_0929.jpg

Holy shit.... What happens if those things actually depreciate over time? Are you ever planning on opening or selling them?

You should put all that stuff on ebay right before Christmas. You could probably end up getting a 65" LED TV from the money you would make.

Hobbun

A buddy of mine who works at a GameStop went all out and collected the entire set of figures from the first game, legendary variants and all. Of course getting a discount on merch he buys from his store probably helped offset the cost a little. He ended up having to resort to ebay for a Wham-Shell though, IIRC. Myself, I think I only ended up with 15 or so. I doubt I'll go all out with Giants, other than maybe getting the series 2 of the characters I didn't buy for the first game. No way I'm going to re-buy ones I already own.

Wham-Shell is one of the figures I am missing from the first game. I ‘almost’ bought him from Ebay as well, but just couldn’t swallow paying the higher money for him.

I’m still annoyed at Activision for bumping the prices up on figures halfway through the first series. For those who don’t know, the single figures first started releasing at $7.99, and $19.99 with the three-packs. But then I start seeing them for $9.99 and $24.99 MSRP.

Sora_N

Wham-Shell is one of the figures I am missing from the first game. I ‘almost’ bought him from Ebay as well, but just couldn’t swallow paying the higher money for him.

I’m still annoyed at Activision for bumping the prices up on figures halfway through the first series. For those who don’t know, the single figures first started releasing at $7.99, and $19.99 with the three-packs. But then I start seeing them for $9.99 and $24.99 MSRP.

Well you could get the $30 cardboard box case, comes with a free WHam-Shell. I'm tempted but the case sucks.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but beyond the launch offerings, I've been seeing the following (to be) available as Wave 2 (most already available at Toys R Us):

Three Pack:
- Sonic Boom S2, Sprocket, Stump Smash S2
- Gill Grunt S2, Flashwing, Double Trouble S2
- Lightcore Prism Break, Lightcore Eruptor, Lightcore Drobot (Target Exclusive)

Singles:
- Sprocket
- Sonic Boom S2
- Stump Smash S2

- Flashwing
- Gill Grunt S2
- Double Trouble S2

- Bash S2
- Hex S2
- Drill Sereant S2
- Flameslinger S2

- Lightcore Jet-Vac
- Legendary Stealth Elf (Toys R Us Exclusive)

Giants:
- Hot Head

Ah! Watching the GB quick look, this Skystone mini-game reminds me of Triple Triad from FF8!

That is pretty neat. It seems a lot simpler which is a good thing, I think I can get my 5 year old to like it.

Hobbun

Well you could get the $30 cardboard box case, comes with a free WHam-Shell. I'm tempted but the case sucks.

Is that the case that holds only a small amount of figures?

No, I took GameMaster's idea and bought the Stanley storage containers. And where they don't take up a lot of room on their own (in the storage boxes), I just have a lot of shit already and any extra space takes up room I don't have.

Wham-shell is very common here (Brazil).

But the normal price of a single pack here is around US$ 32..... (well, at least I have a 50% discount since I work in the company that distributes them).

Sora_N

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but beyond the launch offerings, I've been seeing the following (to be) available as Wave 2 (most already available at Toys R Us):

Three Pack:
- Sonic Boom S2, Sprocket, Stump Smash S2
- Gill Grunt S2, Flashwing, Double Trouble S2
- Lightcore Prism Break, Lightcore Eruptor, Lightcore Drobot (Target Exclusive)

Singles:
- Sprocket
- Sonic Boom S2
- Stump Smash S2

- Flashwing
- Gill Grunt S2
- Double Trouble S2

- Bash S2
- Hex S2
- Drill Sereant S2
- Flameslinger S2

- Lightcore Jet-Vac
- Legendary Stealth Elf (Toys R Us Exclusive)

Giants:
- Hot Head

I personally can't wait for LC JV and L Stealth Elf.

Is that the case that holds only a small amount of figures?

No, I took GameMaster's idea and bought the Stanley storage containers. And where they don't take up a lot of room on their own (in the storage boxes), I just have a lot of shit already and any extra space takes up room I don't have.

Yeah that's the crappy unnecessarily big case that only holds like 8 figures. I'll wait for it to go on sale. It sucks that they priced it to almost market price of Wham-Shell. If it was $20 I'd grab it and toss the box.

nice collection but why multiple starter packs for multiple systems? i dont get the point of not opening characters and buying the same character more then once but whatever, its not my money...and here i am in Walmart yesterday staring at the display and feeling guilty about buying the starter pack and one new character, i ended up not buying it yet, im trying hard to wait till my daughers bday or xmas and see if she really wants it.

Man, your collection is so epic I actually found about this post through *Facebook. Kudos.

*StreetPass NYC's Facebook, but still.
Ditto, haha.

How do your kids feel about your collection, dude? Are they jealous? Do you have to keep them from wandering in and opening everything?

Sora_N

Can you play trough the game without a giant? Because maybe i just wanna borrow it from a friend just to play trough it once.

I have not finished the game with my gf yet but I think you need at least 1 Giant just to make things easier. They can smash some walls and lift some of the stones.

What about the chained islands? You need a Giant to pull the chain right? The few I've come across aren't crucial to completing a level, but for getting 100% completion its a must.

Katzii

I'm in Canada, no Targets up here yet. I hear he's decently stocked at Targets though.

Maybe see if someone online would be willing to pick you up one and sell at cost (plus P&P et cetera).

I'd offer to help but I can't seem to find him over here in the UK.

Sora_N

Maybe see if someone online would be willing to pick you up one and sell at cost (plus P&P et cetera).

I'd offer to help but I can't seem to find him over here in the UK.

Yeah, thanks. I think someone at DarkSpyro might try to help me out.

EDIT: Sweet, got hooked up on my Crushers. :) My gf will be pleased!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Thanks to everyone who posted about my collection.

To those who are now getting curious about the game, due to seeing these pics, let me explain why this game has me by the horns.

I appreciate gaming, I really do. While I am a screenwriter, I am also a gamer. In gaming, there are certain games that come along that will be remembered forever. I see Skylanders being one of those games.

In a day and age, where 95% of games out there are walk and shoot, drive and crash, and everything has to look realistic and gritty, you will get games that are truly worth owning. Now, I do own some of those gritty and lifelike games, but I grew up in the arcades, as well as Nintendo. Back in the simple days, games were more about fun than graphics and hour long cutscenes rendered in 1080p, thus it makes that game nothing more than a hallway for a world (ie Final Fantasy XIII).

This game reminds me of arcade games, but with a little more depth. This game reminds me of games I would play on the NES, SNES, PS1, Dreamcast, or the Wii. In other words, those systems allowed for some truly fun games to come out, in a time when gameplay ruled all. This is why I don't mention PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, and even the Gamecube.

See, sometimes it's good to diversify a collection, by just having simple games in it. This is a game that you can pick up and play, but be done just as quick.

To put it bluntly, when I first played this game, it reminded me of Gauntlet Legends on crack. Instead of running around with 4 characters, you can now have up 48 UNIQUE (not counting recolors, series 2, or lightcore) characters, that all play differently.

Other games I would call this or compare it to, is Diablo, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Champions of Norrath.

I could go on and on - and I have which has resulted in the sale of many copies of this game to locals in my area when they came across me at Toys R Us - but I'm sure there is a limit to words I can put in one post. I have truly thought about asking Activision to hire me to help promote and sell this game to others, because I have convinced so many people this game is awesome. After running into said people again - which were now looking for characters - they said they didn't regret it a bit.

It's just one of those games this generation of gaming needs, to diversify gaming as a whole, which are usually infected with gritty - focus more on graphics - dull and lack imagination.

I would compare this game to Gauntlet: Legends/Dark Legacy before all else, but it has a lot more to do. The figure collecting aspect just makes this even better, because you can take them to any friend's house that has Skylanders and use your figure there. Plus, it beats what could have happened, which could have been each figure being a digital DLC for 5-8 bucks each. I hate digital DLC, because I never feel like the stuff I download is mine. These figures I buy, I will have until they are lost in a fire, I die, a tornado sweeps them away, or lightning strikes my house.

The only bad thing about owning these, is one day I will die, and I won't be able to experience this cool game again - or life itself.

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope skylanders 3 adds a lot of new characters and fewer re-releases of old characters. most of the giants chars are reposes now that I'm learning more about it.

Syriel

I hope skylanders 3 adds a lot of new characters and fewer re-releases of old characters. most of the giants chars are reposes now that I'm learning more about it.

I suspect the reposes were there to placate parents.

As in, parents who have invested a shitload in SA (aka bought them all) only really need to buy 16 new figs to have a "complete" Giants collection. They can safely ignore all the Series 2 and LC reposes if they like.

Those who want everything can still go crazy and they get the benefit of new Wow Pow and LC powers.

It's kind of a middle ground. If Giants had a complete set of all new characters, you'd probably hear more parents complaining about how it's just a money grab. And truly, it's not. Giants is a surprisingly fun game.

The only bad thing about owning these, is one day I will die, and I won't be able to experience this cool game again - or life itself.
Or worse... expelled...
tumblr_lrd9eqMP711qc4i52o1_500.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just watched the first Harry Potter movie the other night with my wife and daughter and your last sentence totally reminded me of this quote.

Top Bottom