View Single Post
jschreier
(10-26-2012, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by RedNumberFive

I appreciate your input and participation in this discussion, but relying on game journos to set their own ethical standards is how you guys got in this mess in the first place. You guys have been playing fast and loose for a while now, and are finally getting called out on it. It's good to see that Kotaku has a basic conflict of interest standard site-wide.

Seeing the entitled behavior of these individuals on Twitter over the last few days shows me that the last thing I should do is rely on their moral compass.

It would be lovely to have some sort of Unified Code of Ethics, but that's not going to happen, and it's not really my place to tell colleagues and competitors what to do.

As for Kotaku covering this, I can't speak for the site or anyone else on it, but I can say that I'm personally just more interested in spending my time writing about other things. I don't really see it as my place to serve as an ombudsman or watchdog for other members of the press, and I'm sorry if that's disappointing to you. I'm much more interested -- and I think my readers are much more interested -- in games, the people who make them, and the stories surrounding them. And also JRPGs. Lots of JRPGs.