View Single Post
conman
(10-27-2012, 07:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Lunar15

Morality arguments aside, if you're a journalist, and you tweet a hashtag for a game you're at an event for to win a PS3, you look really, really silly. I'm really glad this was sniffed out and GAF is talking about it. This thread is about bringing up facts so that people can form their own opinions. I absolutely love that. If people look at that list and go "I'm not sure I can trust these people anymore", that's ultimately a good thing in my opinion. However, this is why I also brought up my experience working in ad sales. If this is a thread about bringing up facts, I'm going to bring up the fact that no advertising dollars have ever affected a review on any one of the sites I represent. If you still look at a site and get iffy about a review because of all the advertising, more power to you. I just wanted to throw out more facts.

There's a continued misunderstanding going on here between those working in the industry and those readers (former readers, now) who are bothered by the dismissive attitude and total silence from journalists. It's like we're speaking different languages. I don't know how often we can say this: we're not talking about blatant bribes or this-for-that exchanges of coverage for gifts. We're talking about a culture of too-close interaction between PR and journalists. They're so close that they don't even recognize it. Worse, they don't even want to talk about it. Instead, they just turn the discussion back around on us readers as if we're somehow to blame.

It's a shitty thing to do. And over these past few days, I've lost enormous respect for writers whom I've respected for years.

Originally Posted by Corto

So, nothing will change. Kotaku, IGN, GameSpot, GameInformer and the likes will always have a fresh supply of young people that won't bother with nothing else besides the "what's the most awesome video game that will release this month." That's the same audience PR people want to target, so, nothing will change. No party has the incentive to change the established system as they have nothing to win with that change (and perhaps they would even lose).

Unfortunately, this looks to be the case. Very few people in the press want to talk about this. I know now whose work I trust, and it's very few people indeed. I thought many of the writers whose work I read regularly could be trusted to be intelligent, sensitive, and critical voices in the midst of this. If there ever was a moment when games journalists could stand up for what they do and truly try to change the culture, now would be it. But they're all sticking their heads in the sand and calling us a bunch of paranoid idiots.

Nice move. Classy. If a few folks on GAF were unreasonably hostile to games journalism before, then there will be even more now. Well done, journalists.
Last edited by conman; 10-27-2012 at 07:59 PM.