View Single Post
stephentotilo
Behind The Games
(10-29-2012, 06:06 AM)

Originally Posted by EternalGamer

Thanks for this. It is honest. It also lets me know I should avoid Kotaku for what I am looking for. I don't agree with your former ethics professor, but I certainly agree with him more than merely "laughing off" the argument. I am sure you guys have and will continue to have a great audience. I am clearly not it. Not with that editorial perspective. Laughing off that $500 of bullshit unboxing is not an argument in my opinion. It is simply a statement of your journalistic integrity as far as I am concerned.

Well, to be fair, the professor who laughed off the extreme position that a journalist should have zero friends was a bit of a free-thinker. When he was asked by a student what humanity's best invention was, he skipped easy answers like "the wheel" or "medicine" and went with "the weekend". I thought that was a wonderful answer. Power to the people, sticking it to the man, etc.

What would you have done with the Halo 4 Xbox 360 that Microsoft might have mailed you and that your readers might have been curious to see in something other than officially-lit product shots? Privately smashed it with a hammer, coughed up the postage to send it back, or written an expose about the insidiousness of PR?