View Single Post
MonsterDunk
Giant Bomb eSports Editor
(10-30-2012, 11:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Dr Dogg

After your own experience it seams rather crass to suggest any ulterior motive regards to how you were presented with a 3DS.

My previous experience doesn't mean that I should be above reproach, either. I'm just some dude that has seen the industry go through a lot of weird changes, from the time Namco took us out to fly planes over Vegas to the Eidos E3 party in Atlanta that supposedly had "working girls" in some weird VIP area to today, with everyone running out of money and bringing their events down to a more reasonable level. So it's interesting to see people up in arms about the way things are these days... because it used to look a lot worse. Social media, for better or for worse, has made everybody a lot more accountable. There was no Twitter when Sony put us all into a demolition derby to promote Twisted Metal 4. Anyway, people often tell me that I should probably write a book at some point.

I often sweat decisions about whether or not to post things like that 3DS delivery, because I know how it can look. But it was just too weird. Sometimes I feel like people need to see the insane lengths that some companies go through to make their product stand out from the crowd of junk that crosses our desks every day. In the case of that 3DS video, I knew it would look flashy, but I also felt like people needed to know how fucking weird this business can be sometimes. In other cases, I might not say much publicly because I don't want to give any extra airtime to a brand. I got an autographed (by game developers) bag of chips with a video game logo on it today. Given the current promotions out there I'm sure it's not hard to figure out what I'm talking about. But if I promote their product directly by mentioning it by name on Twitter, they win. And fuck that.

Anyway, I think a lot of that fancy delivery stuff is more meant for the mainstream press. Obviously people like us would cover the 3DS, we're a game site. But if you're a PR person that needs to catch the attention of a tech editor at a newspaper that maybe writes one game article a month, you need to include some sort of stupid flag in the package. You need to send the chain of girls. You need to hope that you make an impression and get that writer to take one extra look at your product before tossing it aside. Because that guy reaches people who don't already read game sites and see game trailers and memorize game release dates. That guy isn't preaching to the choir. That guy is, like, the PR holy grail or something. If he writes about your product, millions of people who might not have heard about your game otherwise now know it exists.

Fun Sort-of-Related Fact: I apparently reach like 10,000,000 people a week or something with a syndicated 60-second radio bit I started doing when we were picked up by CBS. That sounds crazy, but then I don't know how radio works in terms of audience counting. It's sort of like that newspaper guy because 60 seconds is really only enough for one game and, except in rare cases, I try to pick something that's out that week. Should I pick Assassin's Creed 3 or Need for Speed: Most Wanted? Since I reviewed one and not the other, I'll probably pick Need for Speed, even though the dude who does the editing on them said that the car games "sound boring." I like doing it because it's giving me a little more perspective on the mainstream side of things and writing really short scripts that still say something meaningful about the game is actually really fucking hard.

Uh... OK, I really need to go to sleep now.