• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| - November is SPANKSGIVING! 30 Days of Appreciating Funnybooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
8VrXF.jpg

What are you Spankful for suckaz? Give big ups to your LCS, your favorite creators, and your favorite comics!

LCS Spanks: Carol & John's Comic Shop

ZDDR8.jpg

ShfuN.jpg

nXmsH.jpg

Check out the sweet sweet FCBD line! There's a party inside.

There's also a cat! Winston is an awesome shop cat.

SKHIu.jpg

Creator Spanks: Erik Larsen, creator of Savage Dragon.

up8be.jpg

"HE ONLY LIKES HIM BECAUSE HE'S A SKINHEAD!" </neogaf>

Comic Spanks: The Savage Dragon, 20 years of real time superhero madness.

Cd2TN.jpg

Find a comic shop near you and join in on the fun!

Comic Shop Locator
The Master List

Hmm, you have my attention. Talking about Orchid right? I'll add it to my list.

I loved the hell out of the first volume of Kamandi. Totally psyched about the next release in December.

I'm kind of approaching Prophet as a weird, serious sort of Kamandi riff.

I snagged Prophet in trade, but haven't read it yet.

Orchid is ending in two more issues. :( So it will be two trades.

Mike Allred draws flat and boring art. Come at me.

Like your avotar?! :O

Owzers

logo.jpg

DCBservice.com. I've been buying from them for about 3 years now i'm quite happy with the service.

1637408-jonathan_hickman_2_large.jpg

Thankful for Jonathan Hickman writing fantastic stories like Fantastic Four/FF. Looking forward to Avengers!!!!!!!!!!!!....in December......

Owzers

Reading iZombie by Robinson and fan favorite artist Allred right now, first trade, so far it's fairly enjoyable.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm thankful that there won't be any Cyclops debate in the November thread!

Resilient

Spankful to Collector's Edge - Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia!

543327_230034793766002_1976499408_n.jpg

644248_258778720891609_497802688_n.jpg

229876_262440720525409_968360547_n.jpg

I picked up Saga because I read a lot of positive impressions from ya'll. Hope it's as good as you all say!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Bro, I find TTOBro's lack of bro disturbing.

Chuck

Still without luck
I have to give props to the comic place that got me started a few months ago.

Comics, Toons, and Toys in Tustin CA!

Just and all around amazing shop. Thank you, CT&T. :)

However, I have since moved but now I have the Secret Headquarters in LA!

It's not a big shop, but they have everything I want and would probably order anything i'd ask for. It has a unique style, is always super clean and organized and I just love shopping there. And they're open until 9pm almost every night!!!

And they're way better than Golden Apple

rCIZZLE

Well, this was my old shop while I lived in Philly. New one is pretty small and I can't even find a good picture online LOL. They have by far the best deal for people with a pull list: 20% off any in store purchase.

Anyways, Atomic City Comics, Philly

JEKKI

I have to give props to the comic place that got me started a few months ago.

Comics, Toons, and Toys in Tustin CA!

Just and all around amazing shop. Thank you, CT&T. :)
I love that place!

it's kinda close to my work but actually takes me farther from home so I dont go as often as I should tho...

but they always give discounts so I definitely plan on going whenever I need to buy like a whole stack!!

Tizoc

I am thankful for Warren Ellis and Grant Morrison, two of my fav. writers.
Warren Ellis got me into comics, Morrison made me love them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm thankful for Amazon.com...

and the Barnes & Noble B2G1 deal on DC/Vertigo books that is still on through the 15th. Buying all the rest of DMZ and Scalped, plus a bunch of other stuff.

I snagged Prophet in trade, but haven't read it yet.

Orchid is ending in two more issues. :( So it will be two trades.

Is that a planned ending?

zYEgP.jpg

It used to be a New Age store so that's why the dragon and Egyptian eye painting. Been going to this store since I was a kid, although it was around the corner back then. I don't know when they moved cuz I took a long break from comics in my 20s.

I'm thankful for Amazon.com...

and the Barnes & Noble B2G1 deal on DC/Vertigo books that is still on through the 15th. Buying all the rest of DMZ and Scalped, plus a bunch of other stuff.

This. While I love to support local stores (I do occasionally), buying shit here (Australia) is so damn expensive.

sca2511

Yeah I still get most of my stuff from Amazon. Looking at what I have as singles, I seem to only collect them if they're a mini series.

Speaking of which:
WHERE'S MY NEW SAGA ISSUE?!?!!?!?!?

Coming this month. October's release was the TPB to get people caught up and to give Fiona Staples a month rest. They come back in November. Smart plan, versus the Marvel way of swapping out artists regularly.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also thankful there won't be anymore of that awful Cyclops discussion. I might check out the new Hulk and Cap series this month.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm thankful that there won't be any Cyclops debate in the November thread!

Wait for it, wait for it... CorvoSol hasn't posted ITT yet :p

I'm thankful for Comixology and my iPad. It's freed me from the piss poor excuse for a shop I was lumbered with after my LCS closed down, and it's freed me from the tyranny of paper for good.

I'm thankful for Comixology and my iPad. It's freed me from the piss poor excuse for a shop I was lumbered with after my LCS closed down, and it's freed me from the tyranny of paper for good.

It does suck when you don't have a good LCS. Mine is great (Excalibur Comics in Portland, OR), gives a 25% discount off retail which digital doesn't often match. Plus, I still love actually owning my comics and having the ability to resell.

Death before digital!

Lots of nice shops guys. Keep 'em coming.

TTOB: Disregarded, Marvel NOW! completely. >_>

EDIT: We Canucks had our Spanksgiving, last month.

Give Spanks!

Any chance to pimp savage dragon, eh bandit?

We got 30 days son. :D

I'm not crazy about the Spanksgiving either.

Don't worry, December will blow your f*cking mind. That's been in the cooker for months.

This is one of the nicer setups for a shop I have seen. I hate it when a shop has like one shelf for new releases and then 500 long boxes for anything older than 2 months.

They've been in business for many years. So I guess it's just getting leaner and more efficient with age. It's also one of the rare shops that has regular in-store events to keep fans excited.

Is that a planned ending?

Yeah, but that doesn't make the ending less sad for me. :(

Though it will free up Scott Hepburn to work on somebody else's book.

bengraven

Also, I'm spankful for The Source.

The best comic book store in the Twin Cities, which has apparently undergone some huge renovations since I was last there in September 2011. Those guys used to love me coming in with a $500 paycheck every week and making incredibly stupid purchases.

Sad that I'm 2000 miles away from it, though.

Sblargh

Banned
I am reading Marvel Comics - The Untold Story by Sean Howe, so I wanna give a shout out to all the lives sacrificed to this heartbreaking busisness. The book is a nice companion piece to Morrisson's Supergods in a way that they really complement each other.

Morrisson try to talk about the cruel busisness, but at heart, he writes about super-heroes and its artists and Sean Howe sometimes venture into finding the heart behind the busisness, but it is really a book about artists stuck in a busisness where they don't own the characters they create and that end up mattering more than they. Still, I got into the book ready to being told that my real life heroes (especially Stan Lee) were evil, but in the end it is doing a good job in painting them as human beings in a market that mix creative ego and the feeling that this time they will finally bankrupt because there is no way the industry can survive yet another crash. Stan Lee especially seems like a genuinely good guy always in the horrible position of being the middle man between the artists and corporation.

Finally, I want to give an eternal shout out to Jack Kirby. Saying he is the king is too little. Life was never easy on him, yet his creations makes ours seem a little less harsh. I really can't give enough thanks.

sorry if the message is kind of incomprehensible, lack of sleep

I've gone digital for the monthlies, but when I'm feeling a good trade or hardcover, these are my stores...

Collector's Corner - Baltimore County, Maryland

photo-2_5.jpeg

If you read Bleeding Cool, chances are you've seen their videos. Regular sales, decent peeps.

Alliance Comics - Federal Hill, Maryland

alliance+comics.jpg

Great people behind the counter, and they regularly sponsor an event I do. Really push their recommendations, and have great tastes.

It does suck when you don't have a good LCS. Mine is great (Excalibur Comics in Portland, OR), gives a 25% discount off retail which digital doesn't often match. Plus, I still love actually owning my comics and having the ability to resell.

Death before digital!

I've gone digital for the monthlies, but when I'm feeling a good trade or hardcover, these are my stores...

Collector's Corner - Baltimore County, Maryland

photo-2_5.jpeg

If you read Bleeding Cool, chances are you've seen their videos. Regular sales, decent peeps.

Shops that buy books / collections are pretty rare these days. That's a sweet deal.

Agreed on Death Before Digital. I download comics for my touchpad, but even for $100 I feel that I must treat my touchpad like a Fabergé Egg. Once the tablet market gets in the $75-100 range for all media consumption devices I'll be more open to it.

I am reading Marvel Comics - The Untold Story by Sean Howe, so I wanna give a shout out to all the lives sacrificed to this heartbreaking busisness. The book is a nice companion piece to Morrisson's Supergods in a way that they really complement each other.

Morrisson try to talk about the cruel busisness, but at heart, he writes about super-heroes and its artists and Sean Howe sometimes venture into finding the heart behind the busisness, but it is really a book about artists stuck in a busisness where they don't own the characters they create and that end up mattering more than they. Still, I got into the book ready to being told that my real life heroes (especially Stan Lee) were evil, but in the end it is doing a good job in painting them as human beings in a market that mix creative ego and the feeling that this time they will finally bankrupt because there is no way the industry can survive yet another crash. Stan Lee especially seems like a genuinely good guy always in the horrible position of being the middle man between the artists and corporation.

Sounds like a good compliment to Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book.

It opened my eyes to what a remarkable scumbag Bob Kane was. His father was smart enough to get some easy legal advice to cement Kane as one of the smarter guys at the dawn of the US comic industry, but holy crap - he will take credit for anything that isn't nailed down. Steve Jobs style.

Now I want to find a good collection of Jerry Robinson Batman work.

ReiGun

Alliance Comics - Federal Hill, Maryland

alliance+comics.jpg

Great people behind the counter, and they regularly sponsor an event I do. Really push their recommendations, and have great tastes.

This is my spot. Gonna head there today after not being there in a month.

As for creators, spank you Greg Rucka and Bryan Q Miller for writing the stories that made me fall in love with comics (Batwoman Elegy and Batgirl respectively)...

TrollECCC2007_GregRucka.jpg

Bryan%20Q.%20Miller%20pic.jpg

...spank you J.H Williams III, Francesco Francavilla, and Cliff Chiang for inspiring me to start drawing again...

JH-Williams-IIIBatwoman.jpg

bpmwf_513_low.jpg

va-teasers-wonder-woman-spider-island-L-BibHja.jpeg

...and a big spank you to Comic-Gaf for giving me some folk to talk about this shiz with. *hugs*

I for one STRONGLY SUPPORT TToB's AWESOME thread concept. Positivity and community IN ACTION.

Well done, sir. Well done. I'll have my Spanks up soon.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm spankful for Local Heroes in Norfolk, Va. The guys that run the shop have always been helpful to me as a newbie to buying comics.

lightbox-1.jpg

Also weren't we talking about moving the thread to community?

LiQuid!

Lost World of Wonders in Milwaukee. I used to go here a lot when I was only into animu and Japanese garbage and they had a corner of the store dedicated to it. I rarely ever ventured into the rest of the store and at the time didn't realize what a massive comic shop it was.

lg_photo12.jpg

lg_photo9.jpg

lg_photo8.jpg

lg_photo7.jpg

lg_photo5.jpg

lg_photo10.jpg

And the sad manga corner where I used to go every month or so when a new volume of G.T.O. came out...

lg_photo1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom