View Single Post
stephentotilo
Behind The Games
(11-01-2012, 06:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Jackpot

To make it harder to avoid.

Did Totilo ever comment specifically on what he did with the AC3 swag like other critics did?

I don't think I did. This is a screw-up, especially if you're being absolutist about what should be done with swag. In this case, it seems I failed to communicate clearly what my expectations were with swag. That's on me, no one else.

When folks were talking about the flag earlier this week, I was going to comment specifically about how much I disliked the letter, but then I realized that I couldn't remember what happened to the flag, which I figured was either still in the office in the wooden box it came in or given away (not publicly, by the way, because I've always felt that that is as much a free ad as anything else). We'd been sent two flags, and I can't recall where either wound up. Granted, with a flag, disposal is more of a hassle than with other stuff. The bigger point is that this reminds me to remind my team about our swag standards. It's not a standard if we don't enforce it. My error. I've asked Chris to take the flag down and we'll find a way to get rid of it.

We get sent a ton of stuff, and dealing with it is a pain in the ass. Many will say: "Then just tell people you don't want it." It's a little more complicated than that, but that's ultimately the right response. I'll have more on swag, among many other issues, when I run my full piece when Kotaku is restored.

Frankly, I'm glad this was caught because it helps me see where we had a blind spot. You can still take my answers to that Q&A as the standards I believe are proper.