• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Rumor: Battlefield 4 details leak from EA China [Up: Seemingly Real]

Reiko

Banned
That isn't happening. Dice has had plenty of chances to go for 60fps and they were directly asked why they didn't do in the past. This gen they wanted better textures this gen, next gen they'll still want better textures.

As for the rumor. The 1yr part alone makes it hard to swallow.

That is true. But it was telling that they were demonstrating MOH: Warfighter at 60fps on PC. (E3 2012)

At first glance I thought it was COD footage.

Bullshit. Are there 1500 people working simultaneously on the game or something?

I guess it's basically BF3.5, and I'm fine with that if I can enjoy nice graphics on a PS4. The more interesting part of this is the launch date: 23rd October? Date of PS4 and Xbox 3 launch?

KageMaru

Lol at the thread title change.

I will laugh so damn hard if it's really a 1 year dev cycle. It will be atrocious.

IF there is any true to this, I'd imagine they mean it's been in development for about a year. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to force this game out in two years to make it for the launch of the ps4/720. IMO CoD being a launch title for every system this Gen helped raise awareness of the franchise. Wouldn't be surprised if EA was attempting the same thing.

The guy who translated it is probably a console warrior.

Assuming you copied this from B3D, I wouldn't be surprised if ultragpu put M$ in the post.

How could you even remotely promise 100fps on PC given the range of configurations out there? Reeks of BS.

They mean capped.

Gemüsepizza;43935422 said:
I guess it's basically BF3.5, and I'm fine with that if I can enjoy nice graphics on a PS4. The more interesting part of this is the launch date: 23rd October? Date of PS4 and Xbox 3 launch?

Even Sony and MS wouldn't have the launch dates figured out this far away.

Reiko

Banned
Lol at the thread title change.

IF there is any true to this, I'd imagine they mean it's been in development for about a year. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to force this game out in two years to make it for the launch of the ps4/720. IMO CoD being a launch title for every system this Gen helped raise awareness of the franchise. Wouldn't be surprised if EA was attempting the same thing.

Assuming you copied this from B3D, I wouldn't be surprised if ultragpu put M$ in the post.

They mean capped.

Damn. I really should be paying attention before I copy & paste.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Gemüsepizza;43935422 said:

Most likely roll out this gen PS3/360 for the 23rd, then sell the next SKU when the PS4/720 release a month after

Or they can just sell it, I mean software for next gen sometimes sells earlier than the hardware

Longshot

Not sure why its bad? I love the game.
Really wasn't keen on the map size and design, flags being too close together, silly weapon attachments and unlocks (they weren't as bad in previous titles), classes being streamlined thus removing the need for a commander, no mod tools (BF2 had some awesome mods) and lack of VOIP. Off the top of my head but I really didn't enjoy BF3 and I really, really tried, EA DID say they wanted the CoD crowd afterall.

Don't mean to sound antagonistic or anything but it didn't feel right to me, couldn't get into it at all.

0207_d54p.gif

this, sounds like the jump from crysis 2 to crysis 3. Everything is jumping on the COD dev cycle now. HL3, reveal yourself and save us from this madness

The one year dev time thing in't just meaning already been in dev for a year? that or moving to make it a yearly franchise in the future would be the only things to make sense from a comment like that imo

majik13

As already mentioned the 1 year dev cycle most likely means, it currently has had 1 year.(bf3 launched a year ago) by the time BF4 launches it will be a 2 year dev cycle.

Also 100fps sounds like a maximum lock, of course it wouldn't require 100fps, and only 100fps

Also, there should be a wiiu version, 60fps and 64 player

thats even if the rumor is true, which it isn't

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
They really shouldn't call it BF4

This feels like an expansion

Do a full fledged BF4 in 2014-2015, just keeping doing themes using the BF3 Moniker

BF2143
BF3 Dino Wars
etc.

As already mentioned the 1 year dev cycle most likely means, it currently has had 1 year.(bf3 launched a year ago) by the time BF4 launches it will be a 2 year dev cycle.

Also 100fps sounds like a maximum lock, of course it wouldn't require 100fps, and only 100fps

Also, there should be a wiiu version, 60fps and 64 player

thats even if the rumor is true, which it isn't

most likely it would be in the 30fps and not 64player current gen group, but then again EA so far hasn't really looked like jumping too hard into the WiiU so who knows.

majik13

most likely it would be in the 30fps and not 64player current gen group, but then again EA so far hasn't really looked like jumping too hard into the WiiU so who knows.

likely, though according to dice the 32 player cap was imposed by psn and live bandwidth caps. Though i dont know if those systems could handle more graphically though.

Hopefully wiiu and next gen ps and xbox wont have such caps.

I think wiiu could hit 60fps with some work and scaling the IQ. Though I doubt EA would put much effort into the port, so I wont keep my hopes up.

Also, the next game should be Bad Company 3

Really wasn't keen on the map size and design, flags being too close together, silly weapon attachments and unlocks (they weren't as bad in previous titles), classes being streamlined thus removing the need for a commander, no mod tools (BF2 had some awesome mods) and lack of VOIP. Off the top of my head but I really didn't enjoy BF3 and I really, really tried, EA DID say they wanted the CoD crowd afterall.

Don't mean to sound antagonistic or anything but it didn't feel right to me, couldn't get into it at all.

I thought it was awesome as my first BF online game. I am mostly playing the small maps so flags being together isn't an issue for me. I can understand why you'd miss mod tools. I'm playing on the ps3, we get an even smaller experience than the pc, yet I'm able to enjoy it.

We need an actual translation of this, not the interpretation of a machine translation by some random member of the console warrior generation.

For instance the Google translation says
1 "Battlefield 4" release date tentative October 23, 2013.
2 Battlefield 4 "R & D projects just to start soon, the development cycle is only about 1 year.
Which tells a bit of a different story than
BF4 has a 1yr development cycle and has a tenative launch date of oct 23rd 2013
Here's the "locked to 100FPS" bit.
PC, PS4 and XBOX720 platforms will provide a stable 60 gaming experience (PC depending on configuration, fever may reach over 100, the Xiaobian hanging wire machine it 10 may). % D0 K! C0 P $ P0 @
I understand exactly.

There are possible interesting tidbits in there, like
Commander system officially regression, and log in directly through the peripheral, such as the iPAD specific implementation method temporarily unknown, but can be determined definitely can exist out of the game running body.

Support the Somatosensory with voice commands, voice commands for Commander system.
Now I have no idea what that actually means. But it sounds like it could be something cool maybe? Or something completely boring.

In addition, the staff also revealed "Battlefield 3" last DLC "finality (End Game)" Some new details:
1. Added four new maps, actually may just be the old map revision.
2 new air war mode, similar to the Armored Fury Battle City / armor advantage mode.
3 new Double prevention and control vehicles and two-wheeled motorcycles and other vehicles.
4. Increase in new jobs and new achievements.
And that's when we'll be able to tell if there's any credence to this to begin with.

We need to find someone who speaks Chinese. Preferably a Chinese sailor who drove a black car on that day it rained.

The game may be built-in store system, sold like items of DLC.
Well that sounds potentially terrible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We need an actual translation of this, not the interpretation of a machine translation by some random member of the console warrior generation.

For instance the Google translation says

Which tells a bit of a different story than

Here's the "locked to 100FPS" bit.

I understand exactly.

There are possible interesting tidbits in there, like

Now I have no idea what that actually means. But it sounds like it could be something cool maybe? Or something completely boring.

And that's when we'll be able to tell if there's any credence to this to begin with.

If an actual proper translation is given, I'll update the OP. (If a Mod doesn't already)
If they mean the full production cycle is only one year, that's pretty standard for EA (and AAA in general) games.

A lot of AAA development these days is done with like 30-50 people for a year, and then 200 flood in to make all the content once they're done prototyping.

The iPad thing sounds like smartglass and DICE is hiring for mobile integration for their games.

I'll see if I can get a full translation from duckroll since he actually speaks Chinese and then retitle the thread.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Female soldiers? That's pretty cool if true.

They've implied that they're actually interested in the past, just that they felt they never had the RAM to do it this generation (in terms of storing both the animations and character models).

That shouldn't be a problem next generation.

If they mean the full production cycle is only one year, that's pretty standard for EA (and AAA in general) games.

A lot of AAA development these days is done with like 30-50 people for a year, and then 200 flood in to make all the content once they're done prototyping.

Yup, and once EA China becomes involved that's probably the case.

antitrop

I'm totally down for female soldiers.

I don't know how they'll use them for BF4, but I know when I was deployed in Iraq we brought female Marines with us on vehicle checkpoint missions in order to carry out pat-down searches of female civilians.
I loved bringing the females on foot patrols because that always meant they would get tired very easily and we would get to return to base earlier than planned.

Their code name was "Lionesses".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, bumping this with a slightly different title since everyone I know who speaks Chinese is away right now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, I've gotten my friend who speaks Chinese to give an overview translation.

I didn't ask him for an exhaustive translation, but I will ask duckroll for any additional details people are curious about later.

Lasgana said:
Lasgana: BF4
Lasgana: Coming October 23rd, 2013
Lasgana: development just started, expected to be done in 1 yr [Nirolak's Note: Since this is the one likely to elicit the most "this is fake" notes, I feel I should elaborate. Given some later points (like already have an internal demo), this seems to refer to EA's normal two year development cycle of a one year pre-production cycle with ~30-40 people and then ballooning up to 150-300 people to make the game after most things are prototyped and planned out. Visceral, BioWare, and a fair number of publishers outside EA also operate this way since it allows you to have multiple projects without cyclical layoffs due to scaling down in pre-production and scaling up in production. For example, during the downtime between Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, DICE's spare staff worked on making Medal of Honor's multiplayer and helping to build Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. As to what the bulk of DICE's staff worked on prior to this going into production, it's probably either a second project or, once again, other EA games.]
Lasgana: will be on pc, ps3, xbox360 and next gen consoles
Lasgana: will be one of the first games for next gen consoles
Lasgana: commander system comes back
Lasgana: profile can be linked with other devices like ipad
Lasgana: auto login, need internet all time, support cloud saves
Lasgana: easier to pickup the game, to take care of players from CoD
Lasgana: support body and voice control for this commander system
Lasgana: better battlelog integration and better stats reporting
Lasgana: supports video playback and sharing
Lasgana: have gem store for dlc and other stuff like that
Lasgana: 3 factions: russia, usa and china
Lasgana: can deploy female soliders
Lasgana: frostbite 2.0 engine
Lasgana: pc, ps4 and xbox 720 supports 64 player maps
Lasgana: 360 and ps3 will be less
Lasgana: pc, ps4 and 720 will provide 60 fps
Lasgana: already have a demo video internally within EA,
Lasgana: matching the quality of BF3 already
Lasgana: bf4 will use 80% of power of frostbite 2, wheras bf3 only 30-40%
Lasgana: modern background
Lasgana: i mean story background

Reiko

Banned
All right:) Much better thanks!

Next Gen sounds great. Should give you a hint that PS4 and 720 will both be powerful.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right:) Much better thanks!

Next Gen sounds great. Should give you a hint that PS4 and 720 will both be powerful.

I never meant to imply your find was bad, just that the original translation made it seem worse than it was, haha.

Thanks for posting the thread.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just realising theres alot of bullet point type things like 60fps, 64 player etc but no 1080p mention for ps4/720.

I'd be pretty shocked if it was 1080p. You would sap up most of your power benefit doing both fps and resolution boosts.

I'm fairly surprised at the proposed 60 fps even, since I assume they don't intend on dropping it as the generation goes on, but perhaps they feel that they don't need the extra resources for the gameplay changes they want to do, so just upped the framerate.

Bullshit. Are there 1500 people working simultaneously on the game or something?

I would hazard a guess it would be similar to how ubisoft montreal released ACII, AC brotherhood and AC revelations one year apart from each other.

Same engine with minor upgrades, reused assets and content that was planned for since the start.

So in the case of BF4, chances are scenarios/stories were written before BF3 was released and assets the use for BF3 and warfighter can be repurposed for BF4.

Just a guess though.

I'd be pretty shocked if it was 1080p. You would sap up most of your power benefit doing both fps and resolution boosts.

yeah for sure just noting it as i think it's significant, comments from the sony rumours targeting 1080p and some peoples unreasonable expectations on what might be comming.

I would definately expect 720 w 60fps for games that need the response like this, COD, fighters, DMC etc and 1080 w 30fps for the "cinematic" stuff like Uncharted

and 720ish with non locked 30 fps for TES/Fallout

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yeah for sure just noting it as i think it's significant, comments from the sony rumours targeting 1080p and some peoples unreasonable expectations on what might be comming.

I would definately expect 720 w 60fps for games that need the response like this, COD, fighters, DMC etc and 1080 w 30fps for the "cinematic" stuff like Uncharted

Well I mean, we do have 1080p/60fps games this gen, just that they look like PS2 titles.

I imagine if you left your graphics and technology entirely alone, that would be doable next gen. It's just that you probably wouldn't want to.

I'm also expecting a fair share of developers to go 720p/30fps (or subHD/unstable 30fps) for the most power possible.

Top Bottom