Hey, and plus, it's totally conceivable that I just completely suck at the game and managed to miss three different major things that were required. But the fact remains that it happened to be three
times, and that the game has zero
conciliatory measures in place to rectify the situation should that happen to occur.
I mean, even if it took a preset timeout period where after, say, 30 minutes of unsuccessful searching, the game drops a progressively more helpful hint, that's sensible. But here's what happened to me, for instance, one of the times:
- Game hints that we need to be at a particular location (we'll call it Location A). That's the only hint I get.
- Visit Location A and find the area where I think I need to search/solve a puzzle. Paperize to reveal a spot where a sticker can be placed.
- Try every sticker I have. Doesn't work.
- Return to town and load up with around 6 or 7 more large Thing stickers to try. Return to Location A to try each one. None of those works either.
- Close the game and restart since you lose Thing stickers when they're the wrong ones to solve the puzzle during paperization.
- Return to town again and load up with another 6 or 7 large Thing stickers to try. Return to Location A to try each one. None of those works either.
- Close the game and restart again.
- Return to town and try the final couple of Thing stickers I have. Return to Location A to try each one. None of those works either.
- Game still provides the same unhelpful hint about needing to be in the location I'm already looking.
- Finally give up and decide that I must need to actually be someplace else, searching for an item I missed that needs to be used in Location A, which is where the game is still telling me I need to be.
- Search literally every level I've been to and cannot find the answer.
- Eventually ask another game journalist for help. Although he got stuck in other areas for similar reasons, fortunately, he found this particular item the first time through and was able to inform me which item it was and where he found it.
- Travel to that level and collect the item. Return to the location the game told me all along I needed to be and used the item. Progress.
Without the internet, this game is, in my opinion, partially broken.