• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U gamepad screen protector. Are you getting one? which one?

nickcv

with the gamepad costing that much i really don't even want to think about scratches on the screen.

are you guys getting a screen protector? which one are you getting?

do you think the nintendo official one is a rip off?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ACALN0/
41ClRqeyoIL.jpg

what about Hori?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NRO1J2/

Jawmuncher

Out of those 2 whichever one is cheaper is the best bet.
EDIT: Yeah i'd go with the Hori unless you really want that stylus form the Nintendo one.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Getting the hori one mailed 2 day shipping. Can't go wrong with Hori, use it on all my gaming handhelds.

Pineconn

I'm going commando. Considering I haven't experienced the scratched screen issue with the OG 3DS, I stand by my decision*.

*until I get a deep gash in the screen :(

does this need a thread?

Why do people post this???

You could say that or think that about tons of threads.

But anyway, no, I am not getting any screen protectors.

I don't use them for any electronics which is odd as I am very anal about stuff like scratches and whatnot, they just seem to be more trouble than worth and I take very good care of electronics and even if it's not true, in my mind it will be compromising the quality of the display.

2San

I'm going commando. Considering I haven't experienced the scratched screen issue with the OG 3DS, I stand by my decision*.

*until I get a deep gash in the screen :(
I thought everyone got it. I personally hate screen protectors, but I'm using one on my 3DS because of that scratched screen issue. I see a line from time to time on the upper screen protector, so I'm pretty sure mine has the issue. It also suffers from a yellowish screen(the lower screen is fine, which makes it really obvious). The 3DS is really a step back from what I'm used to from Nintendo. :( Wondering if Wii U pad will also suffer from the yellow hue issue.

urfe

I won't be getting one.

I only use them for phones, because they get really scratched up in my pocket.

nickcv

mmm thanks guys... probably i'll go with Hori then...

does this need a thread?

probably not (to both my question and the OP's).

it can be useful to anyone in the future as a reference... if the mods want to close it i'm ok with it

This is not something I ever worried about so not going to get one
but if I feel the surface is large enough to be in danger of damage I may think about it

does this need a thread?

probably not (to both my question and the OP's).

this is a launch week so I think the threads are encouraged by mods
people should avoid these threads if they have no need for them

nickcv

Of course not. I don't want a 2nd class experience on any touch screen.

and here comes another question:
do you guys think a screen protector can actually hinder the experience?
this is a resistive touch screen after all, so i don't know if another layer could actually effect its performance.

i never used screen protectors on my DS/3DS, any insight would be helpful.

Thoraxes

I'm thinking of it, but the price is probably stupid and I almost have a phobia and general anxiety of applying them without getting one spec of dust under the screen...

So probably not.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Going without protection. Feels better, even if it's more dangerous.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
and here comes another question:
do you guys think a screen protector can actually hinder the experience?
this is a resistive touch screen after all, so i don't know if another layer could actually effect its performance.

i never used screen protectors on my DS/3DS, any insight would be helpful.

I don't think it should be much of a problem since it'd be pretty thin and the screen is resistive.

Dantis

People still buy screen protectors?

It seems like a waste nowadays, what with screen being so scratch resistant.

NinjaBoiX

Of course not. I don't want a 2nd class experience on any touch screen.
I use a protector on my Vita, and it's absolutely fine. I'd imagine it affects input ever so slightly, but as a pay off for never ever scratching your screen (unless something stupid happens), it's worth it IMO.

Rootbeer

Banned
i never use them on any of my devices and never have problems with scratches.

except with my original 3DS but that was due to a design flaw, not my negligence.

Dennis

Banned
Never had a scratched screen, RROD or other hardware problem.

Why can't GAF take better care of their stuff?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I do but I'm paranoid about screens I actually have to touch. My PSP is scratch free and I have no screen protector on it and just put it into my soft pouch whenever I stop using it.

Dantis

Does the screen have gorilla glass or something?

I dunno, but it has to be some kind of scratch resistant material, right? Everything is scratch resistant nowadays. The only scratch I have on anything is a scratch on my phone from where I accidentally knelt on it. My entire body weight caused a scratch that you generally can't see.

I also just realised that it can't be Gorilla Glass, because resistive screens are plastic.

Roo

I do but I'm paranoid about screens I actually have to touch. My PSP is scratch free and I have no screen protector on it and just put it into my soft pouch whenever I stop using it.

Same here, I tend to be very careful with all my screens but I'll probably get the screen protector just in case :p

Katzii

I ordered and have received mine from Barrier Chief; I went with them for my 3DS XL and am satisfied enough. They send you two in case you mess one up.

IrishNinja

Going without protection. Feels better, even if it's more dangerous.

+1, my OG 3DS had one, current XL doesnt, might be in my head but it feels just a tad better without. only games like Theaterhythm made me think id kill it one day anyway, heh.

oh baby i like it raw

moozoom

My latest attempts to put protection films on my 3DS have been total failures with dust and cat hairs stuck under it. So I guess I'll just be cautious with the pad.

The only problem is when you have friends playing the thing, some can be very brutal. I had a friend of a friend wrecking havoc in the living room while playing Wii Sports tennis, crashing into a table and nearly launching the wiimote in the T.V.

Blaming RROD on users is a bit much. I'm really careful with all my consoles and accessories and I certainly won't take responsibility for Microsoft shitty hardware.

My launch PS3 is still alright and is seeing a new life with its brand new 500go HDD, Sony almost redeemed for my 2 broken Ps1.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
post some videos, seems really cool...
the only concern is that it seems like something you spray on glass, not plastic.

Check my post above this.

Probably for glass? That site I linked, doesn't look like they were sure if it would work on plastic (or at least, work as well).

I'm probably going to order some of this stuff later this week, so I'll post some impressions. I plan to use it on my phone, Vita, nexus tablet, and the eventual WiiU Tablet.

nickcv

My latest attempts to put protection films on my 3DS have been total failures with dust and cat hairs stuck under it. So I guess I'll just be cautious with the pad.

The only problem is when you have friends playing the thing, some can be very brutal. I had a friend of a friend wrecking havoc in the living room while playing Wii Sports tennis, crashing into a table and nearly launching the wiimote in the T.V.

Blaming RROD on users is a bit much. I'm really careful with all my consoles and accessories and I certainly won't take responsibility for Microsoft shitty hardware.

My launch PS3 is still alright and is seeing a new life with its brand new 500go HDD, Sony almost redeemed for my 2 broken Ps1.

change friends dude o_O

Check my post above this.

Probably for glass? That site I linked, doesn't look like they were sure if it would work on plastic (or at least, work as well).

I'm probably going to order some of this stuff later this week, so I'll post some impressions. I plan to use it on my phone, Vita, nexus tablet, and the eventual WiiU Tablet.

keep us updated, i'm really curious

Double D

I probably should invest in one of these. It's primarily going to be for my kids so I really don't want to take any chances. I also need to find a place to buy styluses (styli?) in bulk. They really know how to lose those suckers.

GringoJB

I ordered and have received mine from Barrier Chief; I went with them for my 3DS XL and am satisfied enough. They send you two in case you mess one up.

Same here... trying these guys for the first time (instead of Hori) since I knew that I could get them shipped early and have them on-hand for day 1. I've heard good things, so we'll see!

Top Bottom