• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct - Today! Right Now! [cvxfreak summary Post #85]

EVOL 100%

Oh, OK. Just from listening to his cadence, it didn't sound like it would mean "up to," unless he had a particularly long pause before saying a quantity. I dunno, I know all of four words in Japanese. =P

Oh then what Duran said is right.

..I admit I answered that without actually watching the video

Jintor

I'm telling you. Nintendo will invent time-travel technology for the sole purpose of releasing Nintendo Directs in violation of causality.

USB Media

- Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
- One USB drive at a time only.
- Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
- You can use general drives.
- In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly.
- Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet.
- No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)
- Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives
- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.

But Reggie said 3.

Some questions...

- A powered USB drive is OK, but an unpowered one is not? They showed an unpowered device with an extra USB port for extra power:
MlHA0.jpg

Edit: Thanks, cvxfreak. The answer is that there's no guarantee unpowered drives will work unless you use that cable. Note that USB 2.0 by convention should provide enough power for those drives to work.

- Did they mention a Wii U virtual console finally for the first time?
- Did he say that the bonus 500 points you get using a premium account can either be Wii, DSi, 3DS, or Wii U points?

wrowa

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
- NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.

Lol. So, the basic edition leaves you with 3GB of available space? They should at least have made it 16 GB, seriously.

IrishNinja

- Did they mention a Wii U virtual console finally for the first time?
- Did he say that the bonus 500 points you get using a premium account can either be Wii, DSi, 3DS, or Wii U points?

would love to know about these, im expecting an HDD thread recommendation here @ GAF after the system's out. not gonna be too many games for me to hoard digitally right off the bat so i can wait for info.

neoanarch

Looks like the Wii U will format the drives and won't be usable on pc/other devices. Expected but still disappointed but that is what partitions are for.

They also said 3DS supports only 32 GB sd cards but people have also gotten 128gb cards to run on it. So it probably will be supporting bigger hard drives.

No he said anything above 2tb won't be recognized.

cvxfreak

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode
- Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."
- There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

@MUWANdo

Banned
would love to know about these, im expecting an HDD thread recommendation here @ GAF after the system's out. not gonna be too many games for me to hoard digitally right off the bat so i can wait for info.

Everything he mentioned about external drives is consistent with what's best/worst for Wii homebrew, so I'm guessing you can just go with whatever the Wiibrew dudes recommend.

cloudyy

Looks like the Wii U will format the drives and won't be usable on pc/other devices. Expected but still disappointed but that is what partitions are for.
You can probably create partitions.
Edit: wait, I didn't read your entire post or stealth edit? lol

Pineconn

- There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

That's what I gathered when I watched the video.

MEGATON.

Too bad you'll probably have to re-purchase the software, even if it's on Wii Mode.

reggie.jpg

Lol. So, the basic edition leaves you with 3GB of available space? They should at least have made it 16 GB, seriously.

You need an external harddrive if your serious about DD.
This is just how it is.

32 GB version is just there for people not wanting to add on and who will download sparingly.

EDIT: Did people actually not think there'd be a WiiU centric Virtual Console?

Chopper

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode
- Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."
Unfortunate. So we'll be expected to buy these games again. Not this time Iwata...

cvxfreak

Nintendo Network Premium

- For Premium Set buyers only
- Point service
- Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and user the service
- After logging in, you can see the points you have earned
- Buy with download card or download number
- Earn 10% back on purchases
- Earn back purchase points in ¥500 increments
- Works with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop

And that's it for this Nintendo Direct. Did this in a rush, so if something turns out inaccurate, I apologize. :p

Unfortunate. So we'll be expected to buy these games again. Not this time Iwata...

He never specifically says this tbf or even hint at it.
Not to say it won't end up true.

I suppose it may be fair to pay a very very small update fee. It will cost them money to produce. We'll see.

Backwards Compatibility

It's odd how we'll have to wait for later. It seems like such a no-brainer. At least we have confirmation, though. Here's hoping we can transfer our games over for free.

TriGen

Nintendo Network Premium

- Point service

And that's it for this Nintendo Direct. Did this in a rush, so if something turns out inaccurate, I apologize. :p

The Wii U deluxe deal works with the 3DS? That would be cool.

Erethian

Nintendo Network Premium

- Point service

To clarify the last part, does he mean that purchases on all digital stores count towards your purchase points, or that you can use those earned purchase points on any digital store (eShop, Wii shop, DSi shop)?

cvxfreak

Parental Controls

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls.
- Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings
- Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database.
- Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

USB Data Storage

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
- NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.
- Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
- One USB drive at a time only.
- Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
- You can use general drives.
- Nintendo cannot guarantee that small hard disks (bus-powered) that require more power than USB 2.0 can handle will work properly.
- Generally, hard disks that have Y-Cables (2 USB connectors) will work with the Wii U.
- Nintendo warns that for USB flash drives, even though the Wii U will detect and connect them as it would a hard disk, due to limitations on the number of times data is read from the disk and how this will eventually wear the USB flash drive down, Nintendo does NOT recommend leaving important save and other game data on a USB flash drive for long periods of time. How this plays out depends on the game, of course.
- Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives even if hard drive has more space.
- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.
- You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.
- At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely.
- SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

Backwards Compatibility

Nintendo Network Premium

- Point service
- Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and use the service
- Points earned can be used with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop

Chopper

He never specifically says this tbf or even hint at it.
Not to say it won't end up true.

I suppose it may be fair to pay a very very small update fee. It will cost them money to produce. We'll see.
Yeah, I'd pay 50p to upgrade a title. Not much more though. I've got alot of VC games!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nintendo Network Premium

- Point service

Didn't one of the websites say you wouldn't be able to spend premium points on non-Wii U digital games? Seems odd that non-U purchases give you points but can't be bought with them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I could swear that they said last time that the Premium Network wouldn't work with purchases on the 3DS eShop. Weird if true.....especially since those other shops don't support Nintendo IDs yet.

Ydahs

Some screens with basic explanations.
90pbl.jpg

2TB Limit for external HDDs
Fib0b.png

An HDD formatted for the WiiU cannot be used on PCs
282lq.png

SD cards cannot store WiiU games
Ccy3D.png

An SD card is used primarily for Wii BC
nLoyo.png

The gamepad cannot be used for Wii VC and software
zqWyf.png

The gamepad can be used for WiiU VC
JZwjZ.png

Free internal storage for the Basic edition (left) and Deluxe edition (right)
IfXik.png

According to cvxfreak, a USB powered hard drive may not work properly if a Y cable type is not used
QOFvA.png

According to cvxfreak, USB flash drives are not supported due to technical issues
UPekf.png

Choc

Banned
i have two consoles sitting here that can power USB drives

they are 7 years old

and this one cannot? the fuck Nintendo

I was just sleeping and dreaming about Wii U controller sold in an ice cream truck

then woke up because I was cold... checked GAF now... watching

TriGen

i have two consoles sitting here that can power USB drives

they are 7 years old

and this one cannot? the fuck Nintendo

It probably can. They just are being careful like with everything else and are recommending you be over powered.

Top Bottom