• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2012 (Nov 05 - Nov 11)

Monster Hunter was a big deal because of what it took away from Sony.

Not that it has any sort of negative, or even stand-still, effect for Nintendo, but if Sony had Monster Hunter and Nintendo still had Nintendo games, it would have been a closer race with still the same winners.

Vita on life support. I love looking back at the old threads where people proclaimed that the 3DS was DOA because of the Vita pricing. Another reminder that the sales projections of people here are horrible.

jeremy1456

Not that it has any sort of negative, or even stand-still, effect for Nintendo, but if Sony had Monster Hunter and Nintendo still had Nintendo games, it would have been a closer race with still the same winners.

I really don't think it would be that much closer, but with the third party support that would come with MH the Vita would probably be doing at least 10k a week now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Without MH Nintendo also loses some of the tag along games...at least in theory as a bunch of them seem to be in Vita's lineup!

The real fun future argument has to be where the smaller JRPG developers go after the PS3 is finished. It's probably not going to be the Vita like it was with the PSP, which rebuilt itself as the market for some of those games after the PS2 finally died. They might not consider the 3DS either with it likely being fairly crowded by then.

Without MH Nintendo also loses some of the tag along games...at least in theory as a bunch of them seem to be in Vita's lineup!

The real fun future argument has to be where the smaller JRPG developers go after the PS3 is finished. It's probably not going to be the Vita like it was with the PSP, which rebuilt itself as the market for some of those games after the PS2 finally died. They might not consider the 3DS either with it likely being fairly crowded by then.

There's always the possibility that they just go nowhere.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A tablet isn't a new device for consumers, the magic trick that everyone wants to see is not there this time around; it's just a tablet, one that can't even be taken out of the house.

Modojo:
there are plenty of naysayers, critics who think tablets have already pushed their way into homes, and will therefore have a negative impact on the Wii U, to which we'd like to counter with:

Why can't it be the exact opposite?
Perhaps it is the Wii U gamepad that poses the biggest threat to tablets, and not the other way around. Web browsing? Check. Netflix? Check. Downloadable games? Check. Most importantly, Nintendo's new gadget lets you play console quality titles away from the TV, at an estimated range of 25-26 feet, which ultimately means it's possible to get your gaming fix in bed, at the dinner table and on the toilet. [...]
Modojo:
consumers will have to ask themselves whether they want Skylanders Lost Islands on IOS, or Skylanders Giants on Wii U. Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies on the tablet, or Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on Wii U. Mass Effect Infiltrator for iOS and Android, or Mass Effect 3 Wii U. Even for us, the decision to go with Wii U on all three is very clear.

With this in mind, don't expect everyone to continue enjoying their tablets once Wii U arrives November 18. Instead, the iPad and Kindle Fire HD may wind up collecting dust.
I always said people already equiped with tablets are the most likely to be attracted by Wii U. So I completely disagree with you. I think Modojo is right on the money, once GamePad lands in my house, my iPad will collect dust. Real games, GAF and miiverse conversations will take care of that. And with TVii around the corner...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases

{2012.11.22}

[3DS] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥5.990)
[3DS] Ouchi Mainichi Tamagotchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Dangerous Ji-San to 1000-nin no Otomodachi Yokoshima <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Pika Pika Nurse Monogatari 2 <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (Sega the Best) <ACT> (Sega) (¥2.940)

[PSV] PlayStation Vita Starter Pack <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥29.980)

[PSP] PSP Value Pack Red / Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥14.800)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random [Love and Youth Pentagon Box] <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.980)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue - Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.240)
[PSP] FairlyLife MiracleDays (Best Version) <ADV> (Piacci) (¥3.129)
[PSP] Eternal Etude: Canvas 4 (Best Version) <ADV> (GN Software) (¥3.129)

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Classic White 250GB <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥24.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Classic White <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Charcoal Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[PS3] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.990)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Chaos;Head: Love Chu Chu! <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah: Double Pack <ADV> (5pb.) (¥12.600)
[PS3] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu [Deluxe Limited Edition] <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥9.240)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ADV> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Killzone 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] Infamous 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] SSX (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥3.129)

[360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[360] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)

{2012.11.23}

[3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥4.800)

New releases

{2012.11.22}

[3DS] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥5.990)
[3DS] Ouchi Mainichi Tamagotchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Dangerous Ji-San to 1000-nin no Otomodachi Yokoshima <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Pika Pika Nurse Monogatari 2 <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (Sega the Best) <ACT> (Sega) (¥2.940)

[PSV] PlayStation Vita Starter Pack <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥29.980)

[PSP] PSP Value Pack Red / Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥14.800)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random [Love and Youth Pentagon Box] <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.980)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue - Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.240)
[PSP] FairlyLife MiracleDays (Best Version) <ADV> (Piacci) (¥3.129)
[PSP] Eternal Etude: Canvas 4 (Best Version) <ADV> (GN Software) (¥3.129)

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Classic White 250GB <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥24.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Classic White <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Charcoal Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[PS3] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.990)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Chaos;Head: Love Chu Chu! <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah: Double Pack <ADV> (5pb.) (¥12.600)
[PS3] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu [Deluxe Limited Edition] <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥9.240)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ADV> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Killzone 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] Infamous 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] SSX (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥3.129)

[360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[360] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)

{2012.11.23}

[3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥4.800)

Should be another big week for 3ds, how much do mystery dungeon games usually do first week?

jeremy1456

Not in the first year or so.
Then Nintendo buried Sony.

This is crazy talk.

All Nintendo had to do was push out a genuine new Pokemon and it would have been done. At the time the PSP had absolutely nothing that catered to the handheld market specifically, let alone something on the same scale as Pokemon.

After launch Sony paid so little attention to the PSP it was pretty darn clear it wasn't going to be able to compete.

orioto

Good Art™
There are really guys who think the PS4 could actually b a success in Japan ?...
There are pretty obvious, just in front of your nose elements that pretty much kill that possibility...

And to begin with. Look at the PS3 success since it was released. More and more, Japanese reject expensive new technology, and only want the affordable console where they have the game they love... Even 3DS was a worrying failure to Nintendo before a price cut and MASSIVE killer ap arrival.

In that context, seeing how long the small PS3 success needed to exist, how in hell would a 400$ high tech console, with basically, the same offer as PS3 in term of software (same type of game, same ips..), would perform better ??

Even the WiiU is far from being a certain hit in Japan, in the current situation, and despite it has ALL the best cards in its hat.

If PS4 is what it should theorically be, it's doomed (meaning the logical expansion of the PS3). It would have to be incredibly surprising and affordable to have a chance.

The Hermit

nc9HP.png

I said wow.

1-D_FTW

Vita on life support. I love looking back at the old threads where people proclaimed that the 3DS was DOA because of the Vita pricing. Another reminder that the sales projections of people here are horrible.

That's why I started the Wii U USA availability poll. I want as many votes as possible to give some clue as to how gaf thinks. Because I think we kind of glam onto the memorable quotes and then say gaf was completely wrong (no matter what the outcome is).

This way if people have revisionist history about what "gaf" was saying about Wii U (at least in the US), it's one thread to be able to link back to and show where the majority of expectations were.

It has to be the 3DS version, right?
Maybe yes or maybe no? Both versions seem pretty viable for different reasons. I originally thought it would be a game that anyone would want to play on a console, but I'm not so sure anymore. The 3DS version also got a better score in Famitsu FWIW.

Takao

Banned
Nice find. Some random quotes:

"How ___ will eat __'s face" is a parody of a ridiculous article IGN posted comparing Dark Souls to Skyrim. Not a real post.

That said, you could probably find some post from the past where I said I thought Vita would outsell 3DS in Japan. That was before the price cut, and under the assumption that key third party support had yet to be unveiled, rather than simply not existing. I changed my tune considerably after that the MHTriG announcement. Never did I anticipate Vita doing as poorly as it is though. It's a shame, but ultimately there's nothing I can do about it.

Doesn't the 3DS version of Ex Troopers lack online play? That might work against it since I doubt this game will sell any significant amounts...sadly.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"How ___ will eat __'s face" is a parody of a ridiculous article IGN posted comparing Dark Souls to Skyrim. Not a real post.

That said, you could probably find some post from the past where I said I thought Vita would outsell 3DS in Japan. That was before the price cut, and under the assumption that key third party support had yet to be unveiled, rather than simply not existing. I changed my tune considerably after that the MHTriG announcement. Never did I anticipate Vita doing as poorly as it is though. It's a shame, but ultimately there's nothing I can do about it.

It was also before the Medaroton.

Never did I anticipate Vita doing as poorly as it is though. It's a shame, but ultimately there's nothing I can do about it.

Honestly very few did. It'd be a shame if the system died out just based on the merits of the hardware, but at the same time when Sony is so lackadaisical about the system, well...it's really their own doing.

Takao

Banned
Medabots games being on Nintendo hardware is SHOCKING NEWS territory. There's only ever been 2 releases not on Nintendo platforms, and one was a port to Wonderswan, and the other a spinoff for PS1. They're games that were made to piggyback off the success of Pokemon, so it makes sense to release them on the platforms Pokemon would be on.

I always said people already equiped with tablets are the most likely to be attracted by Wii U. So I completely disagree with you. I think Modojo is right on the money, once GamePad lands in my house, my iPad will collect dust. Real games, GAF and miiverse conversations will take care of that. And with TVii around the corner...

You can't even take it out of the house, dude. To say that tablets should be worried about Wii U's game pad is ridiculous.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly the success of the Wii U growing the business out like the Wii did is going to come down to how well they market it.

Instead of the feel good story of senior citizens and non gamers playing Wii like crazy because of bowling it's going to come down to how well they get the whole tv remote/off tv play thing down. Parents have wanted something like this forever, uninterested boyfriends/girlfriends too. Being able to pause the game and move it somewhere else but still close and pick it up again would be really neat.

Takao

Banned
Good thing for Sony's engineers is that with Sony Mobile moving development to Japan they no longer are going to be boned by the software side not holding their end of the bargain.

I see plenty outside and in class. You can also actually run countless real non-gaming/movie programs & apps on a tablet. They're not comparable.

Seeing plenty outside doesn't contradict what I said also the vast majority of tablet use is playing games, browsing the web and watching movies, all things that can be done on the gamepad

Culex

Banned
For the 3DS to match last year, it has some fairly high numbers to hit. The next 7 weeks should be interesting.

2011:
103,962 - Nov 7 - Nov 13
197,952 - Dec 26 - Jan 1

Why has that completely disappeared when it's obviously still there? Is it gone for you just because Vita doesn't have the support to show the difference enough?

Interesting question, actually. I guess it's the fact that the system's presentation and software has felt (and, shallow as it sounds, looked) like something I'd expect to play on my set-top boxes. The proper, smooth dual sticks, Dat OLED, the much better speakers - for the first time in two decades of using handhelds, I don't feel like I'm getting an inferior experience with the Vita compared to, say, my PS3. RagOdyssey, Retro City, Dokuro - these are all titles I'd normally prefer to play on a set-top, and yet the Vita is so impressive and enjoyable to use that I don't feel like the handheld experience is markedly inferior. Even for the DS, outside of a few titles I could never say that.

Let me put it this way: the one thing I am cursing about my Vita is the lack of the sort of TV-Out capability that the latter-model PSPs had, as on some level I'd kill to see these games on a TV. I'd like to use my Vita as a console I hold in my hand rather than a "handheld"; that's significant, I think.

But it's all irrelevant, because for most people the software isn't there and they already own a PSP and are happy with it and thus see no reason to purchase a Vita. It kills me but the Vita is going to join the likes of the Dreamcast in Awesome But Failed Hardware Valhalla. There is no foreseeable way out of the death spiral, at present.

For the 3DS to match last year, it has some fairly high numbers to hit. The next 7 weeks should be interesting.

2011:
103,962 - Nov 7 - Nov 13
197,952 - Dec 26 - Jan 1

Well next week should beat last year easily, combination of AC second week and Mario XL should easily do it, week after has a good shot with mystery dungeon, then after that we'll just have to see

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
First couple pages are incredible.

Do half of these posters even have a Vita? Lol.

Wsippel and shuelma being the lone voices of reason:

Here's mine from page 6:
Plinko said:
I'm worried that with the low price Sony is going to try and make up the difference with the cost of the proprietary memory and the games.

$50 games will kill this system fast.

Plinkstradamus!

Seriously, though, at least they didn't go for $50 games.

Seeing plenty outside doesn't contradict what I said also the vast majority of tablet use is playing games, browsing the web and watching movies, all things that can be done on the gamepad

...a gamepad with an ugly design (compared to real tablets), a huge size, a weak screen, low resolution, and resistive touch. They aren't comparable. I just can't agree that tablets have something to worry about.

There are really guys who think the PS4 could actually b a success in Japan ?...
There are pretty obvious, just in front of your nose elements that pretty much kill that possibility...

And to begin with. Look at the PS3 success since it was released. More and more, Japanese reject expensive new technology, and only want the affordable console where they have the game they love... Even 3DS was a worrying failure to Nintendo before a price cut and MASSIVE killer ap arrival.

In that context, seeing how long the small PS3 success needed to exist, how in hell would a 400$ high tech console, with basically, the same offer as PS3 in term of software (same type of game, same ips..), would perform better ??

Even the WiiU is far from being a certain hit in Japan, in the current situation, and despite it has ALL the best cards in its hat.

If PS4 is what it should theorically be, it's doomed (meaning the logical expansion of the PS3). It would have to be incredibly surprising and affordable to have a chance.

*saved for later use*

...a gamepad with an ugly design (compared to real tablets), a huge size, a weak screen, low resolution, and resistive touch. They aren't comparable. I just can't agree that tablets have something to worry about.

I'm not suggesting tablets have anything to worry about or not, just saying you shouldn't be so dismissive,

Oh and higher PPI than iPad mini and resistive touch has many advantages

You should never assume third party support until the games are actually shown. Case in point, the new COD game for Vita that everyone held up so high in those threads then got a 3/10 in reviews from places like Game Informer. This goes for any system.

Erethian

Doesn't the 3DS version of Ex Troopers lack online play? That might work against it since I doubt this game will sell any significant amounts...sadly.

No, just local co-op. Which is more a important sales factor in Japan than online, honestly. If we were talking about a western release it'd be a different story.

Top Bottom