• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop and EB Games Canada won't guarantee Day 1 preorders for Wii U

Banned
Long ass title. Anyways, went to eb games today to buy a new 3DS XL and the manager i always talk to said "you're lucky you're third in line for preorders. We have shortages and are placing calls today to anybody who preordered a Wii U after September 25th will not get a Wii U Day 1. They will have to wait for the second wave of restock".

So yeah, I don't know if his effects the US as well but basically any late preorderers or people planning to line up aren't getting a Wii U day one in Canada.

Gadirok

If there weren't so many redflagdealers hoarding these consoles to resell we wouldn't be having this problem in Canada.

Yeah, I said it.

Its plastered all over the "hot deals" page after I've complained countless amount of times that MSRP is not a deal especially if its the point for reselling.

Tons of people plan to buy 10s of each console and resell it on classifieds/ebay. Absolutely disgusting community.

OP, I'm pretty sure this only applies for Canada though.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, wtf.

That's a whole lot of customers that are going to be annoyed. I know someone from the US that this happened to as well, they had to cancel his pre-order or have him wait for the second wave. Why bother taking pre-orders if you're unsure about how many you'll get day 1?

In any case - glad I pre-ordered from Best Buy. There's a reason why I avoid EBGames.

Median

Whelp, guess I'm running over to EB after work. Pretty sure I got in my preorder on the first or second day, but I can't remember when that was.

Jeff-DSA

Gamestop.com (I'm in the US) already charged my card for my Wii U preorder, so I'm sure they have to be putting me in on day 1 sales. I also managed to preorder before they put the link on their homepage, so I'm sure I'm among one of the very first to get in.

Long ass title. Anyways, went to eb games today to buy a new 3DS XL and the manager i always talk to said "you're lucky you're third in line for preorders. We have shortages and are placing calls today to anybody who preordered a Wii U after September 25th will not get a Wii U Day 1. They will have to wait for the second wave of restock".

So yeah, I don't know if his effects the US as well but basically any late preorderers or people planning to line up aren't getting a Wii U day one in Canada.

Congratulations on making a trolling thread titles. So people who didn't preorder first are not guaranteed unit day 1? How is it different from any other high-demand product?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This is probably just for your local EB Games or some of them at least. I'm pretty sure i preordered mine after September 25th and didn't get any call yet. Then again, the EB Games where i did that is small and there's rarely more than 2 customers in there.

aparisi2274

Good thing I preordered mine right after the NYC media event back on the 15th.

Tim-E

I'm glad I preordered mine a few hours after the price/date was announced. No waiting in lines or waiting for "second shipments." *smug*

Muffdraul

I actually don't mind. I'm dreading having to get behind my entertainment center to hook up a new console for the first time in... six years. Damn. Not exactly looking forward to it. If there was a launch title I gave more than two shits about I might feel different.

I was the first to preorder at my local Toys R Us in Toronto. I better not get fucked over. Especially after I've picked up a couple of games.

Vaati

Banned
Congratulations on making a trolling thread titles. So people who didn't preorder first are not guaranteed unit day 1? How is it different from any other high-demand product?

He's not trolling.

He said that preorders made after September 25th may not be fulfilled.

When you preorder something you are guaranteed to get it but in this case there are too many preorders to guarantee it.

Adr1an

Well I luckily managed to get a Wii u preorder on futureshop.ca this morning and by the afternoon my card was charged and I can't make changes to the order.

So Hopefully for me it means it might ship today or tomorrow.

Astra

I ordered mine online on 15/09/2012. My card hasn't been charged yet, however. If it's not charged by the end of the day tomorrow, I probably won't be getting one right away.

first pre-order in the store on the 15th. I walked in and paid off the whole thing day one. I will be first to pick up the console from that store on Sunday too. the manager of that store and I used to work together and he's going to cash me out and send me on my way before the store is officially open.

I have zero worries at all, which was my plan all along when I took off the 15th to be able to get down to the store once pre-orders opened.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
This is probably just for your local EB Games or some of them at least.
Yeah, my first thought was that this might be a localized issue.

If I was one of the pre-orderers, I wouldn't start worrying until a few people who've actually been called start posting.

this was bound to happen to someplace, it's really just shocking that only orders from before the 25th of september are being covered, that was a month and a half ago.

preordered from futureshop and they charged my credit card today, so heres hoping for that one.

Right this is all a bit sensationalist.
Customers may have been TOLD this when they pre-ordered.

Which means they've not 'not guaranteed' - they've guaranteed to some people that they'll get the second shipment.

He's not trolling.

He said that preorders made after September 25th may not be fulfilled.

When you preorder something you are guaranteed to get it but in this case there are too many preorders to guarantee it.

A preordered system has never been a 100% guarantee. It puts you on a list to be the first to get it from that store. The store cannot help if Nintendo gives them fewer than they want. GameStop only took preorders for like a day. It's not as if they were taking them weeks on end even though they knew they wouldn't get anywhere close to enough to fulfill all preorders.

This reminds me of PS2 all over again. I had no idea whether I would end up with my system until the morning I went to pick up my preorder.

The good news is that I haven't seen anyone freaking out about receiving these calls yet.

bumpkin

I'm just glad/lucky that the manager of the store I ordered at is also a friend of mine; he'll make sure I get mine on Sunday. Although I was one of their first preorders anyways. It's good to know people in high places. :)

Right this is all a bit sensationalist.
Customers may have been TOLD this when they pre-ordered.

Which means they've not 'not guaranteed' - they've guaranteed to some people that they'll get the second shipment.

Why would I give someone my money if the system was not guaranteed at launch? Basically, we're putting our money down so that we can get the system at some unspecified date in the future? I wouldn't put down my money if I was told that and I think EB's have been telling their customers that either since they want that cash.

SRTtoZ

More gamestop scare tactics? There's not a single company out there that makes you feel more guilty about NOT preordering something than Gamestop.

Why would I give someone my money if the system was not guaranteed at launch? Basically, we're putting our money down so that we can get the system at some unspecified date in the future? I wouldn't put down my money if I was told that and I think EB's have been telling their customers that either since they want that cash.

People hoping to get it for Christmas and not that bothered for launch.
I don't know why, just its all a bit vague.

Top Bottom