• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2012 (Nov 19 - Nov 25)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases

{2012.12.06}

[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 (Ultimate Hits) <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥2.940)

[NDS] Nanami no Oshiete Eibunpou DS: Kisokara Manabu Step Up Gakushuu (Support Deals Version) <EDU> (Media-5) (¥2.000)

[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Ultimate Hits) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥2.940)
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Ultimate Hits) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥2.940)
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Final Mix (Ultimate Hits) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥2.940)
[PSP] Gran Turismo (PSP the Best) <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PSP] Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida 3D (PSP the Best) <SLG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PSP] Sengoku Hime: Sengoku Ransei - Haruten no Saihai (SystemSoft Selection) <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥3.129)

[PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega) (¥8.800)
[PS3] Yakuza 5 [PlayStation 3 Yakuza 5 Emblem Edition] <ADV> (Sega) (¥37.800)
[PS3] Saints Row: The Third - Full Package <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.179)
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.990)
[PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)

[360] Saints Row: The Third - Full Package <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.179)

{2012.12.08}

[WIU] Wii U Basic Set <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥26.250)
[WIU] Wii U Premium Set <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥31.500)
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥5.985)
[WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥4.935)
[WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) (¥4.800)
[WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Wii U Premium Set] <ACT> (Capcom) (¥38.850)
[WIU] Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.980)
[WIU] Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.140)
[WIU] Warriors Orochi 3: Hyper <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.140)
[WIU] ZombiU <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥6.980)
[WIU] Assassin's Creed III <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥7.770)
[WIU] Mass Effect 3: Special Edition <RPG> (Electronic Arts) (¥6.090)
[WIU] FIFA 13 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[WIU] Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥5.980)

This Animal Crossing is a monster I thought they soured the IP with the last few games but people are eating this one up

cannot wait for US version, I'll upgrade to XL then

I don't want to get too far off topic so I'll relate this to Japan. In terms of getting the 3DS doing better, Reggie pretty much has nowhere to go with things. Western 3rd parties will not make signficant games for the handheld, so either the Japanese side can get 3rd parties to increase their output, the Japanese side can get a much bigger localization team for themselves to increase output (Animal Crossing should have been out this year), or the Japanese side (going along with 2) can increase the output of games in general. The Japanese side is just lucky that handhelds have become such a central thing in Japan. It's not through some sheer brilliance of Iwata and incompetence of Reggie that things look like they are.
I think a major problem is priorities. Why did they prioritize a 5th Mario game in a year over Animal Crossing or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Not too mention in the past they've assisted with localizing the Layton series, dragon quest series or monster hunter series. While none of these could be massive sellers in the west they'd be alright and help keep momentum rolling for the 3DS.

it seems no one has noticed Vita passed 1 million in Famitsu :(
I'd be curious for how many weeks it took vita in comparison to 3DS, PSP, GCN and Dreamcast.

PerZona

I'm still surprised COD sells in Japan, although their tastes in games shifted somewhat these past few years. Might be the surge of FPS games in the market now that's why.

E.X. Troopers not doing so good, I can't even imagine how the PS Vita version would sell lol...

Anyway, I noticed a slight bump on the PS3's sales. Christmas coming and the new hardware I assume?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This Animal Crossing is a monster I thought they soured the IP with the last few games but people are eating this one up

cannot wait for US version, I'll upgrade to XL then

Last few games would include the most popular game in the series. Last game was the one that disappointed.

Animal Crossing's success doesn't surprise me. It's essentially the first real sequel in the series. I expect it'll be big in the west too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Animal Crossing's success doesn't surprise me. It's essentially the first real sequel in the series. I expect it'll be big in the west too.

I find this disingenuous to say the least about all the significant changes Wild World actually has, for good or for ill.

AniHawk

playstation vita is doing well. it only dropped to under 10k during the holiday buying season after a massive increase the previous week. now it just needs some games to sustain it at that level and it could sell two million units a year.

Looks like Animal Crossing has chance of breaking 2 million by the end of the year, possibly? Did anyone expect sales like this? I'm assuming these are well beyond even Nintendo's expectations?

Hero

Good Animal Crossing numbers. Blops 2 is doing really well too, glad to see Japan selling a genre typically not in their tastes.

EX Troopers deserved to bomb after Capcom cancelled Mega Man Legends 3.

Meanwhile at NOA, Reggie screams out his window, "Why you no buy 3DS, America!!?"

I love this. Yesterday you proclaimed "Should I interrupt a bunch of people talking about the NBA and start talking about the NFL?" but you come into this thread where a bunch of people are talking about Japanese sales and don't mention ANYTHING about Japanese sales and make a drive-by statement about the state of 3DS sales in America.

Looks like Animal Crossing has chance of breaking 2 million by the end of the year, possibly? Did anyone expect sales like this? I'm assuming these are well beyond even Nintendo's expectations?
animal crossing wild world sold 5 million units in Japan. the game will most likely be in line with Nintendo's expectations, but it will meet them faster than Nintendo anticipated

New releases

{2012.12.06}

[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 (Ultimate Hits) <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥2.940)
Are we expecting much of anything from dragon quest?

Next week should be interesting with line pics and possible first day sales.
It also could be that animal crossing is a handheld franchise as the series didn't explode to pokemon, Mario, dragon quest, monster hunter levels until it was released on the DS.
I find this disingenuous to say the least about all the significant changes Wild World actually has, for good or for ill.
I'd hardly call any of those changes significant. Don't see how it's any bigger of a jump than city folk.

The last portable AC game sold more than 5 million in Japan...
Yeah but then the next iteration barely got to 1 million on the Wii. Considering how massive casual/ nongamer games or DS games in general have significantly dropped. I'd hardly say these sales were expected. Hence the massive surprise people have shown here with software and hardware sales.

Your last comment is a little weird though since Nintendo's the only publisher doing day one digital releases catalog wide on their systems. 3rd parties have started out okay on Wii U, but seem to be dragging their feet on 3DS for some reason. Hopefully Atlus leading with EO4 signals a change in that for 2013.
Well yeah I was talking about using D1D to encourage niche/overseas titles to release that might otherwise be put off by minimum print run costs.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah but then the next iteration barely got to 1 million on the Wii. Considering how massive casual/ nongamer games or DS games in general have significantly dropped. I'd hardly say these sales were expected. Hence the massive surprise people have shown here with software and hardware sales.
City Folk was a lack luster release on a home console, that would be like expecting a MH title to sell as much on a console as it does on handheld. A 3DS AC always was destined to sell a couple millions, anything less would be catastrophic for Nintendo.

stilgar

playstation vita is doing well. it only dropped to under 10k during the holiday buying season after a massive increase the previous week. now it just needs some games to sustain it at that level and it could sell two million units a year.

Vita is a monster.

RSLAEV

11./00. [PS3] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.22} (¥6.990) - 8.717 / NEW

I'm sorry, is this supposed to mean. 8,717 units sold? I don't understand why there is a period here.

wrowa

I'm sorry, is this supposed to mean. 8,717 units sold? I don't understand why there is a period here.

8,717 units?

You think they've only sold 8 units and uhm... one disc but without the Blu-ray case?

In some parts of the world you use periods as a thousands seperator, in other parts of the world you use commas.

Wild World was still based on the same N64 core though, even with all the additions and tweaks. It was basically "Animal Crossing G" while New Leaf is "Animal Crossing 2".

rpmurphy

8,717 units?

You think they've only sold 8 units and uhm... one disc but without the Blu-ray case?

In some parts of the world you use periods as a thousands seperator, in other parts of the world you use commas.
Using comma as the decimal separator needs to be ridiculed more.

Well yeah I was talking about using D1D to encourage niche/overseas titles to release that might otherwise be put off by minimum print run costs.
Nintendo doesn't do minimum prints runs anymore afaik. I think only Microsoft does at this point.

I understand your larger issue though, and I agree. I'm not sure if the issue lies with NOA or Xseed, but it's really unacceptible that Unchained Blades 3DS isn't available yet. That should've been a model for risk averse small time 3rd party localizations to follow, and it's turned into a complete disaster.

City Folk was a lack luster release on a home console, that would be like expecting a MH title to sell as much on a console as it does on handheld. A 3DS AC always was destined to sell a couple millions, anything less would be catastrophic for Nintendo.
The fact that this is having such huge stock problems including the dd cards selling out stock issues we haven't seen In two years suggests this level of demand wasn't expected amongst Nintendo or retailers. Looking jn this thread and the previous threads I'd say others weren't expecting it either. While cf was a lackluster title there was no way in predicting where the series popularity was at. Remember brain training sold around 5 million and now look at how it's selling. Many expected that along with the decline seen on the Wii version it'd also have the drop off DS to 3DS titles have experienced especially because it heavily relied on casual appeal. I still figured one to two million but I thought if Mario kart and new super Mario bros couldn't hit 2 million then animal crossing surely wouldn't.

Nintendo doesn't do minimum prints runs anymore afaik. I think only Microsoft does at this point.

I understand your larger issue though, and I agree. I'm not sure if the issue lies with NOA or Xseed, but it's really unacceptible that Unchained Blades 3DS isn't available yet. That should've been a model for risk averse small time 3rd party localizations to follow, and it's turned into a complete disaster.
Not even just for localizations, but they need to get this shit straightened out before the middle ground between AAA/B falls out on the WiiU just like it did for the PS360.

I cant see projects along the lines of Fragile, Oopona, or Earth Seeker get greenlit for physical release on the WiiU without dooming the studio to extinction.

ohlawd

man, them EX Trooper sales. I expected them to be low but not that low.

-Animal Crossing keeps going.
-Blops 2 sales are really high. It's a good game but fucking Treyarch, they gotta get their shit together. Tons of problems there, it's almost MW3-like... *shudders*
-Hot Shots Golf... isn't this the Vita port?
-lmao Kokoro Connect. Well deserved.

RSLAEV

9. Copies. 8 were factory while the ninth was missing the manual.

8,717 units?

The OP isn't American.

Uh-meeericahh, yeeaaaah!

Learn the system the rest of the world uses ;)

Using comma as the decimal separator needs to be ridiculed more.

Here you can see which parts of the world use commas or periods for decimal place:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Hindu.E2.80.93Arabic_numeral_system

Heheh uh thanks, this is the first time I've ever seen decimal points used liked that.

WQWxU.jpg
America still owns

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people in the world actually use comma for thousands and spot/period for decimals.

Including Japan and all English speaking countries, China, and India.

tiku

Spanish use commas for decimals, spot for thousands/millions and so. xD

Green coloured countries use comma for decimal. Blue ones use spot.

DecimalSeparator.svg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The number of countries that use one or the other is roughly equal. The population of those countries though is what I was thinking of. Spot for decimals seems to have the majority of the really large population countries.

Top Bottom