• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniffle-GAF: How Do You Handle Coughs and Colds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I have strep throat. You know when Mankind/Cactus Jack would fall on thumbtacks? That's what my throat feels like right now.

So what do you guys do to feel better while you're sick?

For me, I just get myself a crap-ton of Gatorade and Saltines (though this time it's ice cream), play NES games (Mega Man is an excellent series to play while sick) and watch episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Aguirre

plenty of hot drinks then this:
iPXP3NowdN4Ta.gif

:>

Use spray and pills, drink a lot of water, hope for the best.

—None of these work that well when you have chronic allergies like me, though. I like to lament the fact that my affliction doesn't take me out of school, simply because the allergies aren't that strong. But they are there, and they suck hard.

I usually use this stinky, stinging Chinese medicine I get from Chinatown. It's a vapor rub, but it's a really good decongestant. I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. Anyone know the name of it?

DJ_Lae

Fisherman's Friends and hot tea.

I also make sure to remark how colourful and/or chunky the mucus/booger mixture is to my family when I blow my nose.

edit - also, Coke for sore throats. It's not a permanent fix but then again I've never had anything that's actually worked for a sore throat more than a few minutes, and it's by far my least favourite part of a cold.

Theraflu is magically. Even if you're in a State where they sell the weaker, non deliciously drugged up version, it works miracles. That and plenty of sleep/liquids!

dorkimoe

Cepacol warming sensations for sore throats, just discovered these...AMAZING. That spray crap does nothing compared to this.

Coughs, you need mucinex + cough drops
Colds you just need ibuprofen or whatever reduces fever and some mucinex or nyquil

source: always sick

Jhoan

Funny as hell because my voice is hoarse from the same thing (sans the strep throat). My doc gave me a cough suppresant and allergy pills. Been coughing up phlegm too. I feel like crap. Water, soup, and not using my voice helps.

My brother's been coughing up a storm and many people at school are sick.

alphaNoid

Banned
1. I"m stubborn
2. I hate sleeping when I'm sick

thus

1. Take some DayQuil/NyQuil
2. Stay home from work
3. Play video games, alllllll day.

4. Feel better.

Quick

Banned
1. I"m stubborn
2. I hate sleeping when I'm sick

thus

1. Take some DayQuil/NyQuil
2. Stay home from work
3. Play video games, alllllll day.

4. Feel better.

This is me, exactly.

I hate sleeping when I'm sick, since I feel like I could be doing something instead. But when I'm fine, I love sleep and wish I could just slack off all day.

lil smoke

Banned
You're in for a treat! Pho is amazing.

It is.

For the onset of a cold, I like Zinc tablets. Soup is good, it helps you sweat. Most of all, I wear a lot of clothes to bed, so that I wake up in the middle of night soaking wet. Have a change of clothes ready, go back to bed. In 2 days. Cold should be gone.

Try it.

Riggs

Banned
Why this gif specifically?

I don't know, he always posting weird anime girl stuff in the funny pics thread and has a rep now, he got banned before for doing it. Because it was ALLLLLLL he was doing lololll, the Aguirre saga continues.

btw I got nothing against her (aka him) , I just think its funny cuz everyone in funny pics thread hates her (him), I am just an observer.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vicks First Defense nasal spray has successfully reversed two fledgling colds for me so far. You start using it as soon as you feel a cold coming on. Very effective in my experience.

dBOL

Banned
If I am going for natural stuff, I like to hit up the Korean place and get some kimchi

If I want some chemicals I go for Cepacol lozengez and anything with psuedoephedrine in it.

Usually a combo of both works for me

Tefleon

Neo Member
This is how I manage colds.

Take one large mug. Add the following:
1x good tablespoon honey
1x good measure whiskey or bourbon
Juice from 1/2 squeezed lemon
2x thin slices of fresh ginger root
Slice of lemon for show
Boiling water

Mix it well so the honey dissolves then take some painkillers, normal dose, and chase this up with the drink.

I repeat the drink every couple of hours and it makes me feel much better although it means I'm also stuck for driving and working.

ptolemy

Any spray with benzamine hydrochloride in it is great stuff to use on a sore throat. keeps the inflammation and pain away from the throat. After that fluids and sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom