• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agni's Philosophy runs at 60FPS on a GTX 680, uses 1.8GB VRAM. Can next-gen run it?

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20121129_575412.html

New article has revealed the specs of the PC that the Agni's Philosophy tech demo was run on: GTX 680, i7-3770K 3.5GHz and 32 GB of RAM. Apparently the CPU was hardly stressed and it could have run on something much weaker. It also only used 1.8GB of texture data so next gen consoles should have very little problem fitting it onto memory. In terms of anti-aliasing I think it may have used a combination of 8xMSAA and FXAA which is massively impressive if true.

What was most impressive was that it runs at 60FPS as shown by this slide:
1040kmz.jpg

DieH@rd said:

What implications does this have for next gen? Considering that the rumour for PS4 is that it has a 7870, is there any reason to think that it won't be able to run this same fidelity of graphics but at 30FPS?

Here's the original video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Here are some new screens:

Damn, that's pretty impressively optimized already if true. Not sure if I buy 8XMSAA though... that seems a little nuts for 60fps, even on that hardware.

Looking forward to running Square games with SMAA injectors!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think the main question is what kind of graphical fidelity can you have in a big open world.

When all the game has to render is a dudes face and some monsters, of course it'll look great ... but what if you're riding an airship in real time in an RPG? How good will that look when you have to stream a shitload of assets without a framerate dip?

Seik

Banned
Well, it'll run on next-gen, but it won't be at its maximum. (Maybe at 30fps, like you mentioned, maybe a few effects less and I can see this happening.)

Still, its impressive to obtain such results on a single 680GTX, I am more and more tempted to buy one, my 480GTX is starting to get old.

Dat beard.

Terrell

I remember when the internet debated the FF8 demo and the FF7 PS3 demo. This shall be no different. And by "no different" I mean "meaningless in the long scheme of things".

kuroshiki

It's Square Enix that has to worry about that, not us.

Also some of current gen game like God Of War Ascension and Uncharted 3 looks stunning too. Surely next gen will blow us away.

DTKT

You cant have a 680 and sell the console at a 400$ price-point and make a profit. The card alone retails for 450$.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I really doubt that this will look like next gen, in fact I'd wager it won't look like this except for some Heavy Rain type experiences (if that)

Pre-scripted sequences is not a game, and a 680 is well above the tech next gen can afford.

antonz

Processor certainly stomps the shit out of anything we are led to expect in Next Gen Consoles. I would expect it will run alright but wont be reaching the kind of numbers that pc setup is

Tagg9

Seems like a massive amount of RAM. Presumably it could work with certain types of streaming tech as well.

Processor certainly stomps the shit out of anything we are led to expect in Next Gen Consoles. I would expect it will run alright but wont be reaching the kind of numbers that pc setup is
Article says processor load was very light, CPU power won't be the problem next gen in achieving this type of fidelity.

DonMigs85

I really doubt that this will look like next gen, in fact I'd wager it won't look like this except for some Heavy Rain type experiences (if that)

Pre-scripted sequences is not a game, and a 680 is well above the tech next gen can afford.

Wish it could be like the Xbox 1, where its GPU at launch was almost as powerful as Nvidia's top of the line card at the time (Geforce 3 Ti 500).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Switch out 8x MSAA for SMAA and pair back a couple things and it probably could. Definitely 30 fps at least. Those are way lower specs than I expected. If it's even possible to get near that at 60fps next gen will surpass my expectations. Even 30 would be impressive. 680 level output in a lower card should be within reach with proper optimization.

You cant have a 680 and sell the console at a 400$ price-point and make a profit. The card alone retails for 450$.

Does not really matter how much the card retails for MS and Sony not going to pay any where near street price .
Still we not going to get a 680 in a next gen system .

Demo look really nice carry down the AA and drop 30fps and i can see it happening on next gen systems.

RedSwirl

Definitely more optimized than I expected. Just goes to show that a 680 can really do if you push it. Also shows that few, if any PC games out now really push the highest-end gaming systems.

It's gonna be weird owning a gaming PC over the next 18 months, seeing this sudden massive bump in graphics, and then realizing your current hardware can already run that.

Damn, that's pretty impressively optimized already if true. Not sure if I buy 8XMSAA though... that seems a little nuts for 60fps, even on that hardware.

Looking forward to running Square games with SMAA injectors!
Judging from the fact that the MSAA isn't included on that particular slide, I believe it's probably not being used there (it has a measurable performance impact like everything else). I could be wrong, though.

Also, speaking personally, post-processing AA is pretty darn useless. Even in its best implementation, it does absolutely nothing for temporal aliasing, which is where the worst of it is.

I can only hope TXAA and SMAA 2x/4x see common usage in the future. A future without temporal aliasing would be a very nice future indeed!

I'm genuinely impressed by the fact that they had the demo running at 60 fps on a single 680. I assumed that it was running at 30 fps on a pair of them.

I know it's only a tech demo, but maybe next gen won't be so horrible after all.

Now I'm sad that my current rig with roughly twice the GPU power struggles with certain, much less impressive, current gen games :(

raven777

Judging from the fact that the MSAA isn't included on that particular slide, I believe it's probably not being used there (it has a measurable performance impact like everything else). I could be wrong, though.

Also, speaking personally, post-processing AA is pretty darn useless. Even in its best implementation, it does absolutely nothing for temporal aliasing, which is where the worst of it is.

I can only hope TXAA and SMAA 2x/4x see common usage in the future. A future without temporal aliasing would be a very nice future indeed!

There is a slide that shows it was using 8xMSSAA + FXAA for AA, at least on the character model bit.

Cake Boss

Banned
What are the rumored video cards that are suppose to be in the 2 consoles, have the rumors been all over the place or are they all mentioning the same cards?

Also, judging by what they said about CPU load, I'm guessing this demo could've run on a high-end i5?
The only difference between the two would be that the i5 isn't hyper threaded so yes, there wouldn't be any problems at all running it on an i5.

What are the rumored video cards that are suppose to be in the 2 consoles, have the rumors been all over the place or are they all mentioning the same cards?
Latest PS4 rumour has it at a 78050/7870.

Nibel

This is "just" a techdemo - with visuals and audio only; no game logic included.

I think we will see a 30 FPS version with minor visual downgrades and that's it.

And damn I want a 680 - that card seems to be magic

DonMigs85

Also, judging by what they said about CPU load, I'm guessing this demo could've run on a high-end i5?

Even in the old days most tech demos didn't push the CPU much. It's not like they have to run complex AI or physics routines, it's a pre-baked demo.

Should get reasonably close with compromises.

Lower res, or complete lack of MSAA. But this is all just speculation. We know very little about what either powerhouses are actually packing to say either way. I don't expect either to have anything close to the effective capability of the GTX 680. But it's not like they'd need it to get close.

Closed system designs.

This is "just" a techdemo - with visuals and audio only; no game logic included.
Game logic is, at this point, an exceedingly negligable portion of the power usage. Pretty sure the physics are also being done on the GPU.

I think we will see a 30 FPS version with minor visual downgrades and that's it.
Quite likely. It is, after all, VERY UNLIKELY that a console is going to have the equivalent of a GTX 680, based on price alone.

Don't bother - get a 670 and overclock it instead, it's just as good and shaves off $100 from the price. :)

(I have two of them. They are indeed magical.)

DonMigs85

Even the 7870 rumored in to be in the PS4 is likely to have half the ROPs and memory bus, much like RSX compared to a regular Geforce 7800.

Man stuff like this really make waiting for next gen hard .
Also since it a demo not surprise it not not using much of the CPU that often happens .
Don't for that these systems also going to have APU so that should also help even if the system don't have the power of a 680

Would we keep in mind that there would probably be greater optimization for consoles, and would be able to get more out of each. So it looks promising.

And FF games don't have AI so we don't have to worry about that :p

Salsa

nothing's magic, got one and still getting some fps drops on Hitman

I feel like PC games are surpassing hardware limitations. SLI was kind of a ridiculous idea before and now its very much needed sometimes.

Anyway, if anything I feel that next-gen consoles could reach the equivalence of a 680 at most really, considering that im sure they'll stick to 30fps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does anyone have a link to an HD version of Agni's Philosphy? I want to save it but haven't been able to find a good version.

Even in the old days most tech demos didn't push the CPU much. It's not like they have to run complex AI or physics routines, it's a pre-baked demo.
It would be running some physics routines from what I've seen, the particle effects, the hair and cloth simulation etc.

Top Bottom