• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

The_Joker

so wiiu launch only 50k less than wii launch... considering the 100$ more that it costs i would say that the numbers can be considered better than wii's launch numbers

edit: and nintendo soldnearly 1.8 million hardware units

Road

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/12/06/npd-video-game-sales-november/1752081/

Sony's PlayStation Vita handheld had its second highest month of sales since launching in February, thanks to attractive bundles with third-party software such as Assassin's Creed: Liberation​

I have for Vita (based on Nintendo's graphs):

Feb: 225k
Mar: 210k

So Vita should be somewhere there if these hardware sales are still valid (NPD changes everything every day...).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No WiiU games? No PS All Stars? Yikes.

Sad to see no Paper Mario or LittleBigKarting either, even tho it was expected.

Cool to see Skylanders up there tho. Especially since its not its premiere month.

Wait, how could anyone logically think a wii u game would chart?

Unless you REALLY thought the top 10 were going to be down this year.

Haunted

Zelda did...an 87% attach rate in 2006? GOT DAMN.
That's about the highest I've ever seen for any game. Of course launch titles have a higher attach rate by virtue of the lack of competition and a smaller install base. But generally, I'd say 60% for NSMB is very good.

I'm assuming NSMBU numbers include eshop downloads too?

What was the attach rate for Twilight Princess?
I'd assume not, unless specified otherwise. Same for Mario Kart 7 (crossing 2m this month), Nintendo tends not to mix digital sales with their NPD PRs.

Also, comparing to other launches:

Xbox 360 (Nov 2005) 325,000
01 Call of Duty 2: 260,000
02 Madden NFL 06
03 Perfect Dark Zero: 160,000
04 Need for Speed: Most Wanted
05 Project Gotham Racing 3: 79,000
06 Kameo: Elements of Power: 73,000
07 Condemned: Criminal Origins
08 Quake 4: 57,000
09 NBA Live 06
10 Gun
xx Ridge Racer 6: 9,000
~1.2m total games sold

PlayStation 3 (Nov 2006) 197,000
01 Resistance: Fall of Man: 65,000
02 Madden NFL 07
03 Call of Duty 3: 24,000
04 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
05 Ridge Racer 7
06 Need for Speed: Carbon
07 Tony Hawk's Project 8
08 NBA 2K7
09 NBA 07
10 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
~215k total games sold

Wii (Nov 2006) 476,000
01 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 412,000
02 Red Steel: 107,000
03 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
04 Rayman Raving Rabbids: over 50,000
05 Call of Duty 3: 48,000
06 Madden NFL 07
07 Trauma Center: Second Opinion
08 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
09 Excite Truck
10 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
~1m total games sold (not counting Wii Sports)

NSMBU > entire PS3 launch lineup

Sadist

So wait, Nintendo's performance is considered... bad?

The Wii U I mean. It sounds like a pretty decent launch to me. The 3DS however isn't something to brag about. 540k isn't bad, but I guess that's Nintendo's fault for just releasing Layton 5 and Paper Mario Sticker Star as their only big titles this holiday season.

AniHawk

those 3ds numbers are fucking terrible. nintendo fucked up by not having pokemon 5th gen as a launch title and fucked up even further by not having the sequel to that game as a 3ds exclusive. and then the device is too expensive, the games are too expensive, and they don't have any vision for this thing. it's like the gamecube in handheld form.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/12/06/npd-video-game-sales-november/1752081/

Sony's PlayStation Vita handheld had its second highest month of sales since launching in February, thanks to attractive bundles with third-party software such as Assassin's Creed: Liberation​

So Vita should be somewhere there if these hardware sales are still valid (NPD changes everything every day...).
Thanks.

Mrbob

so wiiu launch only 50k less than wii launch... considering the 100$ more that it costs i would say that the numbers can be considered better than wii's launch numbers

I wouldn't say this. The demand for the Wii was astronomical. The Wii U demand is more subdued.

I still think the Wii U is going to do well, but comparing it to the Wii is bad thing to do. System was lightning in a bottle.

The only things these numbers tell you is how many systems were available at launch. Software sales can be useful to gauge enthusiasm, but hardware sales are locked by availability.

Hiltz

According to NPD November 2006 data, out of the Wii and PS3 launch exclusives titles, only Twilight Princess appeared on top 10 the charts. It came in 3rd place with 412k copies and lost to Final Fantasy XII and Gears of War. Wii sales for November were 476k units while PS3 sales were 197k units. No Wii or PS3 launch title exclusive appeared on the December NPD except for Twilight Princess, but that included the combined sales of the GameCube version which came out that month. It took 2nd place with 1.5 million copies sold, beating Call of Duty 3, but losing to Madden NFL 07. Wii sales were 604k units while PS3 had 490.7k units.

According to NPD November 2005 data, Call of Duty 2 launch title for 360 ranked 3rd on the top 10 chart, losing to Star Wars Battlefront II on PS2 and Xbox 1. Each sold around 200k + copies more than COD 2. Madden NFL 2006 for 360 placed 8th with 178k copies. PS2 version of Madden ranked 4th place with somewhere around 222-250k copies. Xbox sales were 326k units which surpassed GameCube and Xbox 1 sales.As for December NPD 2006 data, Xbox 360 only sold 280k units, coming in last place for all video game platforms. No 360 titles made the top 10 chart.

Ridley327

I guess it could be worse? I don't know, I can't imagine that it did anywhere near what Sony was hoping it would, especially with how hard they were pushing AC3:L and CODBLOPS:D.

Guevara

Vita sold 160,000 the week of BF alone

The company announced it sold more than 160,000 PlayStation Vitas during Black Friday week, its first since launching in the U.S. in February.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/11/29/sony-playstation-vita-sales-black-friday/1735709/

PS3 around 450,000?

If 360 sold close to 50% and we can round upto 1.3m for Wii/WiiU/PS3

We know Wii + WiiU = 845000

1,300,000 - 845,000 = 455,000

Please correct if I'm off.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wouldn't say this. The demand for the Wii was astronomical. The Wii U demand is more subdued.

I still think the Wii U is going to do well, but comparing it to the Wii is bad thing to do. System was lightning in a bottle.

Agreed. I do think you have to acknowledge the higher price and more competition from its legacy system though.

Pretty solid result IMO.

iammeiam

Yikes. And those numbers include Sony basically blowing their wad for western-appealing content.

The handheld moral of the story is people want cheap, even if the graphics are worse. 3DS and Vita both lose to the once and future king.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I am pretty sure a lot of WiiU units got moved the first week without people buying more software for it (yet). A friend bought mine and I only bought games later. Entire families in line were picking up multiple units to sell them. I've seen multiple people pick up the basic unit to exchange it for a deluxe when it becomes available.

What I am really curious to see is if Miiverse with it shoving new and popular titles onto your screen every time you turn the system on will do anything for sustained software sales. May sound stupid but those little text bubbles really can make you curious about games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Vita is dead as a door nail but Nintendo has to be worried about 3ds.

540k isn't like shockingly bad but this is the successor to the ds.

FIFA won't be in the top 10 next November now that Beckham has moved on...

..coz he's the only reason Americans like Soccer now, right? At least that the bullshit the UK press has been spewing over the last few weeks.

;)

Miles X

PS3 around 450,000?

Majorly .. already stated in the thread the x2 is on an individual basis, and PS3 did 525k on BF alone, maybe prelim numbers but doubt they were that off

sphinx

the piano man
Zelda did...an 87% attach rate in 2006? GOT DAMN.

the Legend of Zelda: Twilight princess is the only game people cried for in an E3 presentation XD ...and gamers thought it stood head to head with Gears and Resistance in HD consoles, as proven by the infamous NPD trailer that made us lose NPD info as it was.

Razdek

Banned
At the bottom it says it doesn't count bundled software.

EB Canada. I have yet to see the status change since launch. The same goes for FutureShop, BestBuy and Wal-Mart.

Not to say it's fully sold out, I'm sure if you looked you could find one, but the claims that you can find mountains of them at every big box store are probably exaggerated.

I'm in Calgary and you can find them at most Walmart in stock, especially the white ones but black ones aren't too hard to find.

Isn't that rather low for November?

Decent for Wii U - December will be telling, which we already knew.
60% attatch rate with Mario - some people just going home with Nintendo Land, or just plain doom mongering about third party sales?

3DS sales are pretty alright, not setting anything on fire though.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
PS3 around 450,000?

They never said they outsold Wii + U + PS3.

Only that they outsold Wii and Wii U combined. And "nearly double" the PS3.

those 3ds numbers are fucking terrible. nintendo fucked up by not having pokemon 5th gen as a launch title and fucked up even further by not having the sequel to that game as a 3ds exclusive. and then the device is too expensive, the games are too expensive, and they don't have any vision for this thing. it's like the gamecube in handheld form.

I do think that the name is responsible for a decent chunk of Nintendo's trouble with the system. That, and iOS.

So wait, Nintendo's performance is considered... bad?

The Wii U I mean. It sounds like a pretty decent launch to me. The 3DS however isn't something to brag about. 540k isn't bad, but I guess that's Nintendo's fault for just releasing Layton 5 and Paper Mario Sticker Star as their only big titles this holiday season.

Animal Crossing should've been released now. Big mistake by Nintendo.

Linkhero1

Those 3DS numbers are pretty bad. It could have been much better if they released Animal Crossing during the holiday season. Not sure what Nintendo's thinking at all.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Are 3DS numbers really cause for concern? I'm sure Nintendo would love to have it selling more but jeez Nintendo has 4 viable hardware pieces on the market at the moment. lol fucking crazy. That's a lot of revenue.

Mr Swine

Banned
Vita is dead as a door nail but Nintendo has to be worried about 3ds.

It all depends on how well 3DS sells in whole December with the new price drop. If that doesn't spurr sales then Nintendo is in big trouble in the next few years :/

Top Bottom