• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV heading to iOS soon [Update: DS based, Screenshots]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just saw this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9TSg6E3oDo

And at the end, this:

OwMei.png

---------------------

Release date: December 20, 2012.

http://dlgames.square-enix.com/ff/

zXlFH.jpg

p7k2v.png

Screenshots: http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201212070033/
1800 yen
Dec 20th iOS, 2013 Android

2sak4t.jpg

3fjk9h.jpg

According to the Japanese article, the game will have improved audio and more than one difficulty level aimed at beginner players.

-----------

Credit to Yottamol

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-dimensions/id540992837
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy/id354972939
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-ii/id354974729

Description states:

"Take advantage of a limited-time sale celebrating the coming release of FINAL FANTASY IV!"

jbueno

Burned out on FFIV to be honest, hard to get excited for it nowadays. Bring on FFVI, any platform will do.

Ha. The game that keeps on giving.

I wonder which version it is, and what price? Probably the PSP one due to one screen, but I'd prefer the DS one.

Mikey Jr.

These fuckers use like, the UGLIEST fonts in their games.

The fuck is wrong with SE? What is that shit? Times New Roman? The hell?

These fuckers use like, the UGLIEST fonts in their games.

The fuck is wrong with SE? What is that shit? Times New Roman? The hell?

Making a font that scales well for retina and not retina requires too much work clearly.

Let's just use the freebies that come with the sdk!

ZeroAKA

I've played FFIV many times already, but I'll probably go for this if it fully supports the iPhone 5's widescreen.

(Still waiting for the TWEWY widescreen update...)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And in 6 months to a year it'll probably show up on PSP or Vita...

Beth Cyra

Won't be getting this regardless of the version. God I dislike four and how much they whore this freaking game out. Pisses me off when people have the nerve to bitch about VII when this thing exists.

antitrop

I played through the 3D FFIV version on DS a few years ago and had a rather good time.

Final Fantasy IV is still very much an NES style RPG, besides introducing the ATB. The series didn't feel truly 16-bit until FFV. FFIV has great characters and a decent story, but the gameplay and dungeon design is pretty much 8-bit. It just feels like a game made very early on in the generation, which is exactly what it was.

randomkid

Everyone knows that the best possible anniversary celebration this franchise could get already came out earlier this year.

B1G07.jpg

Too bad only 1000 of us got to partake.

Re: this topic, I've decided Square can do whatever it wants with this game, as long as I've got my GBA version, port port away, it's all good over here.

Esura

Banned
Everyone knows that the best possible anniversary celebration this franchise could get already came out earlier this year.

B1G07.jpg

Too bad only 1000 of us got to partake.

Re: this topic, I've decided Square can do whatever it wants with this game, as long as I've got my GBA version, port port away, it's all good over here.

Why don't they make many Nomura books as much as they do Amano's?

My guess is its the DS version upscaled like they did for FFIII.

I'm not interested unless there is something really new to offer. I'm kind of burned out on FFIV.

Beth Cyra

Amano has alot more he has done compared to Nomura.

What has Nomura even done outside of SE? Hell even the games that he designed the characters from have art and pictures done by Amano.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I haven't played FF IV since I got it for SNES and it's still burned in my mind. My whole family played that game. My dad played it and that's the only console game he has ever played. I can't remember why but I never played VI. Maybe because Mystic Quest was so bad (that, I remember). I think I remember also disliking sci-fi or steampunk which is maybe one of the reasons why I only ever watched other people playing the later games until FF XII (which is oddly enough more in line with FF 2 (IV) in the type of fantasy it is.

randomkid

Final Fantasy IV is still very much an NES style RPG, besides introducing the ATB. The series didn't feel truly 16-bit until FFV. FFIV has great characters and a decent story, but the gameplay and dungeon design is pretty much 8-bit. It just feels like a game made very early on in the generation, which is exactly what it was.

What's wrong with 8-bit dungeon design? Anyways, Schala had some neat insights on FF4 dungeons in the anniversary thread, you just have to dig through some weirdo nonsense about Batman or something first haha.

Dear god in heaven let's not start this line of conversation, Aeana protect us!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have enough FF4 love in me to play it one more time. You of all people must be thrilled though.
KuGsj.gif
Oh yeah. So thrilled. Following Cecil as a character is so enthralling.

6hCup.png

But I shouldn't worry because...

VcJQa.png

Somehow you've managed to play through it again. I couldn't even do that, stalled my whole FF series playthrough for months. (._. )
Making fun of the story keeps me going. But with that said, this is my longest playthrough of it. After I'm done I don't want to play it again for the next decade.

Einhander

Nah. I'll pass. I beat the GBA version some years back and will eventually play through Final Fantasy 4: The Complete Collection.

The bigger news is that Final Fantasy Dimensions is at a slightly more palatable price.

Playing through this right now. Those chapters are, indeed, pricey. ( ._.)

I gotta say, I'm liking the job system in FFD.

Berordn

What's wrong with 8-bit dungeon design? Anyways, Schala had some neat insights on FF4 dungeons in the anniversary thread, you just have to dig through some weirdo nonsense about Batman or something first haha.

There's nothing wrong with the design, it's just that the game ends up being completely on rails as a result of the storytelling and having no way to control the character's growth or abilities... you end up playing the same game every time with no variation. The dungeons themselves are probably the best part, which is weird for a game that was intended to usher in the next era of Final Fantasy on consoles when the most interesting aspect is taken straight from the previous three games.

Noi

Playing through this right now. Those chapters are, indeed, pricey. ( ._.)

I gotta say, I'm liking the job system in FFD.

I wouldn't even mind pricey chapters had SE released FFD for Android outside of Japan. :/ I paid for all of The After Years on WiiWare, I'll do it again for a game somewhat resembling FF5.

randomkid

There's nothing wrong with the design, it's just that the game ends up being completely on rails as a result of the storytelling and having no way to control the character's growth or abilities... you end up playing the same game every time with no variation. The dungeons themselves are probably the best part, which is weird for a game that was intended to usher in the next era of Final Fantasy on consoles when the most interesting aspect is taken straight from the previous three games.

Yeah, this I totally understand. If character progression and customization is important to you, you're not going to get what you need out of FF4.

Top Bottom