• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2012 (Dec 03 - Dec 09)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nice numbers for WiiU. Nintendo are really good with their advertising. The ads I've been seeing show the gamepad with games, videos, the Google homepage, it's clear exactly what it does. Just straightforward, what the customer needs and wants to see.

I'm not so sure if this is the reason for the good start. At launch, fans will buy the console even if they are not absolutely convinced by it. Seeing that even the Vita had a great start, the effectiveness of Nintendo's commercials should be judged a bit later. Also, even if their advertising is great, I fear that no amount of advertising can make up for the barren release list going into the next year. Mario is no magician (at least NSMB2 seems to imply he isn't anymore ;)) and an old Monster Hunter as well as an old DQ will not convince the masses to buy an expensive new hardware.

watershed

Banned
Japan is in full holiday mode now. 3ds hardware numbers are nice along with the software bumps. Style Savvy is about to break 200k! Japan truly is the one place where the 3ds is rocking.

Road

Crazy numbers for the 3DS. Passed PS3's LTD.

I wonder how long it will take the Wii U to surpass the Vita LTD. That shouldn't really be a contest but I'm curious purely based on the amount of "lulz Vita outsold Wii U" headlines and rants from the UK and Japan launches over the last 2 weeks. Suppose we won't have a clue about that until at least next week to see how it's holding up.

If the Wii U continues selling 88% of the Wii (Media Create), then February.

watershed

Banned
Man I was looking forward to the Vita catching some holiday coattails. At this point we can cross the holiday season as one potential factor to boost Vita numbers. What's next?

squall23

Man I was looking forward to the Vita catching some holiday coattails. At this point we can cross the holiday season as one potential factor to boost Vita numbers. What's next?
There is no next. Don't you remember? We can finally start judging it!

Frillen

The big Holiday sales boosts hasn't even started though, which scares me a little. How high can the 3DS go? 599k high?

Majmun

Not sure if serious?

One came out ('Demon Training') on the same day as NSMB2.

Coming to the US/EU early next year.

It did not do nearly as well.

I didn't know..

Demon Training? lol
Just searched for it on Youtube. And yeah, that is a Brain Training game.

I hope they change the name in the West. Demon Training sounds stupid imo.

tkscz

For the east maybe, but lets see how they do in the west after Christmas. As for Nintendo, holy fruit flies captain, that's a lot of sales. Someone edit that pie chart with all of Nintendo's products as one big section.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I didn't know..

Demon Training? lol
Just searched for it on Youtube. And yeah, thati s a Brain Training game.

I hope they change the name in the West. Demon Training sounds stupid imo.

Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training

Nekki

1 down, 3 to go:

iA007Zs1Gg8FQ.png

Not for media create ;o

Nice opening for Wii U and accompanying software (even though ZombiU is a small dent lol). 3DS is just unstoppable, and AC has the holidays all for itself. Let's hope it lets other games in the platform grow and sell (meaning mostly third party stuff).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's Sony gonna say next when they can't pull the "it hasn't had its first holiday yet" or whatever line?

I'm not so sure if this is the reason for the good start. At launch, fans will buy the console even if they are not absolutely convinced by it. Seeing that even the Vita had a great start, the effectiveness of Nintendo's commercials should be judged a bit later. Also, even if their advertising is great, I fear that no amount of advertising can make up for the barren release list going into the next year. Mario is no magician (at least NSMB2 seems to imply he isn't anymore ;)) and an old Monster Hunter as well as an old DQ will not convince the masses to buy an expensive new hardware.

Maybe, but their advertising is ubiquitous, on the trains, on the TV and whenever I see their ads it's usually very straightforward, no weird or obscure stuff, just gameplay or families or kids playing a game. Sony ads are fewer and terrible in comparison and MS are almost non-existent. Obviously software is a big factor but the 3DS seems to sell regardless.

creid

04./00. [WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.12.08} (¥4.800) - 106.388 / NEW

Yikes, seriously? Compared to:

[PS3] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - 282,960

(from Famitsu though)

Edit: yeah, forgot about install base. Sorry, it's too early.

LOCK

NSMB2 is beginning it's ascent. I wonder if it will replicate AC DS. That's my predictions anyway. I bet it hits 200k one week.

Oh and Nintendo Land = prophecy

japanrenamednintendoland.jpg

CronoShot

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. 282,960

(from Famitsu though)

It's on a console with a userbase of 300k, compared to how many millions of PS3s were out there when MHP3HD came out. I think 100k isn't too bad considering.

bomma_man

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo deals with the widening gap between the interests of Japan and the west. The sales of the GCN/GBA and Wii/DS were roughly equivalent across the globe but this is something new.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wish it was doing as well outside Japan. Just release games Nintendo, content sells systems, even if it seems like a loss to localize games that don't get mega sales in the long run it's good to have that kind of library variety for all tastes. If it was doing nearly as good in the West I'd probably have one already and not fear of what support it will get here. As it is I mostly want it for Monster Hunter. 3G which I don't mind too much it won't be online and 4 which will be online on 3DS too. But by the time 4 comes out it might be a dead platform in the West, 3G may have underperformed here, and then they don't even localize 4 and/or wait for 4G.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Great numbers all around. Except for Vita and Layton Vs. Ace Attorney :/

(from Famitsu though)

There's always someone.

Nibel

- Didn't know that Yakuza 5 was releasing this week :D One day I'll play them all. Great numbers!
- Welcome to Japan, Wii U - they say if you can make it there, you can make it nowhere else, but whatever; congratulations on selling a good amount of consoles in a clearly handheld dominated country! The next weeks will be way more interesting though (especially Q1 2013) and let's see if there will be huge word-to-mouth recommendation
- 3DS, you fucking unstoppable beast! I remember people posting shit like "Nintendo should cancel the 3DS and create a new handheld with better specs ASAP", good times man. The 3DS is here to stay and I'm excited to see how good it'll perform in a few months since Nintendo already dropped all (?) of their evergreen titles

Culex

Banned
Vita sales actually DECREASED?! Japan really must hate the Vita. Will it break 50k the other 3 weeks this month?

Pranay

- Didn't know that Yakuza 5 was releasing this week :D One day I'll play them all. Great numbers!
- Welcome to Japan, Wii U - they say if you can make it there, you can make it nowhere else, but whatever; congratulations on selling a good amount of consoles in a clearly handheld dominated country! The next weeks will be way more interesting though (especially Q1 2013) and let's see if there will be huge word-to-mouth recommendation
- 3DS, you fucking unstoppable beast! I remember people posting shit like "Nintendo should cancel the 3DS and create a new handheld with better specs ASAP", good times man. The 3DS is here to stay and I'm excited to see how good it'll perform in a few months since Nintendo already dropped all (?) of their evergreen titles

Hope we say that one day for Vita

:lol

Nekki

(from Famitsu though)

33% of the Wii U userbase are playing Monster Hunter.

less than 5% of the PS3 userbase played MHP3rd HD.

Anybody can play that game.

It should be able to sell twice those numbers after the price drop next year, but I doubt there will be anything that can truly save it.

Top Bottom