• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli 2013 movies - Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu and Takahata's Kaguya-hime

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

News:
http://mainichi.jp/mantan/news/20121213dyo00m200030000c.html
http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0048613
http://eiga.com/news/20121213/10/

Official sites:
http://www.kazetachinu.jp/
http://www.kaguyahime-monogatari.jp/

At a press conference today, Studio Ghibli confirmed that they will release two new films in Summer 2013. The movies will be Hayao Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu - based on his short manga series on Model Graphix about the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the designer of the Zero Fighter, and Isao Takahata's Kaguya-hime no Monogatari - the famous folktale of the bamboo cutter and the moon princess.

----

Kaze Tachinu
Original Work/Script/Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Music: Joe Hisaishi

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
Original Work: The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter
Concept/Script/Director: Isao Takahata
Script: Sakaguchi Riko
Music: Shinichiro Ikebe

qpcZ0.jpg

nZ6LA.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This is going be my first miyazaki and takahata film in theaters!

Can't wait. I've been waiting for a new takahata for years too.

Branduil

I wonder if the Miyazaki film will directly address the use of the Zero Fighter in war or it will just tiptoe around that part.

Exciting! I assume these will be double-billed like Totoro/Fireflies; should make for a really big event.

I like the key visual for Kaguya; looks like Takahata will be doing something outside the norm for Ghibli visually, just like he did with Yamadas.

duckroll

I wonder if the Miyazaki film will directly address the use of the Zero Fighter in war or it will just tiptoe around that part.

Based on what we know, the movie should be more about the earlier life of the designer, but it will also cover his disillusion with the nature of his inventions, and the aftermath. Honestly, it sounds pretty depressing for a Miyazaki film, so it should be interesting.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Based on what we know, the movie should be more about the earlier life of the designer, but it will also cover his disillusion with the nature of his inventions, and the aftermath. Honestly, it sounds pretty depressing for a Miyazaki film, so it should be interesting.
So it's about Hayao Miyazaki past few films?

Miyazaki seems like a pretty depressed guy. This really will be a very personal film for him then.

Branduil

I was just wondering because Miyazaki loves planes but is also anti-war. So it sounds like this film will mirror his beliefs to some extent.

Is the turn around from Japan > NA/EU a lot quicker with Ghibli stuff?

Ahahahaha.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Honestly I have a really good feeling about Miyazaki's latest. Despite his recent blunders, I have a feeling he is going be delivering something really special.

Hopefully at the very least!

Honestly I have a really good feeling about Miyazaki's latest. Despite his recent blunders, I have a feeling he is going be delivering something really special.

Hopefully at the very least!
I feel like Earthsea has been the only real misstep Ghibli has made in the past few years. Ponyo wasn't that stellar, but I think it achieved what was intended.

Arrietty was good and I'm excited for Poppy Hill.

Really excited about both, especially Takahata's Kaguya-hime movie.

All in all, I'm just happy to have both of these guys working on new films.

Duderz

Banned
This is probably the most interesting sounding Miyazaki project since Spirited Away. Howl's Moving Castle and especially Ponyo definitely didn't click for me, but this sounds great.

I have no doubt Isao Takahata will pull off another great film. It's been WAY too long.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I feel like Earthsea has been the only real misstep Ghibli has made in the past few years. Ponyo wasn't that stellar, but I think it achieved what was intended.

Arrietty was good and I'm excited for Poppy Hill.
I honestly don't think Ghibli have made a really good film since My Neighbour Yamadas and Spirited Away.

Yeah, Tales of Earthsea was the only one that was complete garbage. But the likes of ponyo, howls moving castle, arrietty simply weren't as memorable as their 80s/90s stuff, not to mention, the first two suffered from all of Miyazaki's worst TRAITS as a director.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Miyazaki and Takahata are back! :D I really like both posters, but I'm eager to see trailers for each. When can we expect them? Sometime next spring?

I love that Takahata is utilizing an Okami-esque water color style. Reminds me of the Yamadas. This is his first film since 1999 right? He's pretty old...I bet this will be his last film. :/

Is the turn around from Japan > NA/EU a lot quicker with Ghibli stuff?

Ghibli films usually make it to the EU pretty quickly. NA? Expect fall 2014/spring 2015. Things might be faster with GKids distributing though. We'll see.

Yeah, but only Disney knows what your needs are

and it includes shitty disney pop star songs dubbed over some of the original music
Wait, what? Hold on a second. Which movies have had this sort of treatment? Does the original Japanese audio still exist on the disc for purists? I was going to buy at least three movies(Whisper of the Heart, Castle in the Sky and Arrietty) tomorrow, but this is a gigantic red light.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Whoever decided to make the Ponyo Pop Song needs to be shot.
Good thing in australia we are likely to get a british version instead. Or for the takahata film - original language with subtitles in select art-house theaters.

Timbuktu

I honestly don't think Ghibli have made a really good film since My Neighbour Yamadas and Spirited Away.

Yeah, Tales of Earthsea was the only one that was complete garbage. But the likes of ponyo, howls moving castle, arrietty simply weren't as memorable as their 80s/90s stuff, not to mention, the first two suffered from all of Miyazaki's worst TRAITS as a director.

I would agree, that hasn't been a Ghibli movie of real ambition since Spirited Away. I was really disappointed with Poppy Hill as well, it did feel like daytime soap with a couple of narrative threads that didn't tie together at all.

Here's hoping for these next two, i don't expect that many more films from these two so every single one counts, though in some way i'd wish they'd swapped films, with Miyazaki for the fantasy and Takahata with history as it has been. porco roso wasn't my favorite from ghibli. We'll see how it goes though, that Kaze Tachinu poster does make it seem a low key affair. I guess i just don't want to get too hyped and be disaapointed. ghibli is overdue a big effort. Would also be interesting to see how these movies is present 'Japan', as they seem to be about its history and tradition more overtly than their recent films. I don't expect any kind of 'nationalism' from them.

qindarka

Banned
Never been a huge fan of Takahata but I am pretty excited about his new film. Also glad that Miyazaki won't be bowing out with Ponyo.

Wait, what? Hold on a second. Which movies have had this sort of treatment? Does the original Japanese audio still exist on the disc for purists? I was going to buy at least three movies(Whisper of the Heart, Castle in the Sky and Arrietty) tomorrow, but this is a gigantic red light.

I believe Arrietty had a pop song added. Other than it and Ponyo, I don't think Disney did that to any other Ghibli movie.

Of course, Castle in the Sky has a revised score by Hisaishi for the English dub.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wow, awesome news. Can't wait to watch them... in 2014. *fingers crossed*

zeroshiki

Its guaranteed to come out in Japan by 2013 but we don't know when. It could very well be late June like Ponyo. In that case, 2014 is the safest bet for international release.

duckroll

The poster for Kaze Tachinu says the film is a homage to both Jiro Horikoshi and Hori Tatsuo. Horikoshi is the designer of the Zero Fighter, and we already know the movie centers around his life (likely to be heavily fictionized). Hori Tatsuo is a famous Japanese writer who wrote a novel called Kaze Tachinu, a story about a pair of young lovers where the girl succumbs to illness and the guy returns to the village where they first met to spend his winter. Sounds like this could be the most depressing Miyazaki movie yet!

qindarka

Banned
The poster for Kaze Tachinu says the film is a homage to both Jiro Horikoshi and Hori Tatsuo. Horikoshi is the designer of the Zero Fighter, and we already know the movie centers around his life (likely to be heavily fictionized). Hori Tatsuo is a famous Japanese writer who wrote a novel called Kaze Tachinu, a story about a pair of young lovers where the girl succumbs to illness and the guy returns to the village where they first met to spend his winter. Sounds like this could be the most depressing Miyazaki movie yet!

Homage to both of them? Did they have any links in real life?

duckroll

Homage to both of them? Did they have any links in real life?

No, they're probably just both two people Miyazaki feels strongly about in his old age. But from a historical angle, the time period would be right to tell a story which covers both Japan's eventual entry into WW2 and the mass production of fighter planes, and the issue of tuberculosis in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom