• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I agree with you that even classic playlists will bring back Halo's big numbers, but I could play it again and enjoy it :(

But I doubt that Halo will beat COD for a long time.

If Halo is criticized and bashed like it is in here every time change is brought into the franchise, then its pretty much a guarantee. Not saying all change is automatically good, but its a fine balance. They've eased people into equipments first, then AA well imo.

zap

If you ignore Halo 4 problems at this point then just go here already.

f8Bsu.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
What are some really good doubles maps people have seen here? Gamertags with map names of course

Are you guys( CCs) also looking? I might have some cool maps, they are simple but work well.

For which gametypes do they have to be set up?

I'll pm you the maps tommorrow

CyReN

Speaking of Forge Maps, If you guys have a Forge Map that plays well we made this on our site since the fileshares in gimped. hope it helps:

Forge Maps Database
This page was made to provide an easily accessible database of community forge maps and featured works for players to find maps and gametypes to suit their needs for both competitive and social customs as well as general testing. Below you will find two categories: Completed Maps and Featured Maps. Completed Maps are maps forged by the community that have passed a baseline inspection for quality and functionality. Featured Maps are maps that The Halo Council has featured on our homepage. For all maps, we highly encourage you to post feedback in a map’s thread if you do play it. You can sort the databases by any field to quickly find what you are looking for.

DeadNames

Banned
You know Cyren, it really is amazing what you guys are doing to counter the lack of a functioning game/file share/theater.

Bravo to THC.

CyReN

You know Cyren, it really is amazing what you guys are doing to counter the lack of a functioning game/file share/theater.

Bravo to THC.

I'd be lying if I didn't say the lack of everything gimped didn't put a damper on our spirits. Thanks though:)

Holy shit really? My bad Ozzy, I know it sucks to see people who have differing opinions. I personally only surround myself with people whom I agree with. Makes life easy.

I'm trying to think of an equally clever reply, but we're already working on like 4 levels of meta here so I give up.

Tawpgun

If Halo is criticized and bashed like it is in here every time change is brought into the franchise, then its pretty much a guarantee. Not saying all change is automatically good, but its a fine balance. They've eased people into equipments first, then AA well imo.

Equipment was adding something new while keeping the core mechanic of map control and equality, something that is a core tenant of Halo to many people, intact.

The biggest problem with equipment that people had, or that I heard about, was some equipment was OP like regen, and some was just annoying in its implementation like bubble shield.

The other big thing was that you didn't know what the person had until they deployed it.

But Bungie thought the biggest problem was people accidentally used equipment prematurely. To put it bluntly, people who weren't that good. That was the part of the balancing of equipment. Gotta know when to use it.

If they had made AA's something you ALWAYS have as long as you live, but put them around the map, I'd have been fine with them. Hell, MLG used evade and jetpack as power AA's. Then I'd made it so they'd be dropped like equipment or weapons. They'd also have some sort of "fuel" to them.

Computron

just saw this now.

You! I read the DediServer readme last night, I made a quick SWAT revolving map playlist but I couldn't get the signon to work in the command prompt, didnt give me any message just didnt signon would stall or be loading something then it went back to the prompt but I was still offline when I checked status.

Have you done it?

ey, your finally doing a thing

First, do you have the game installed and fully patched? can you succesfully get into games online with your live gtag? did you download the latest dedi server version from MS?

Next, do you have the hardware/connection necessary to even host a dedi server?
BTW, you will potentially need another computer or instance or use some workaround to play on your server from the same PC that is hosting it, that was a quirk last time I was messing with that IIRC.

also This playlist helper might be of interest to you.

^That link is down, only posting it so you know what it is, you can find a mirror link for that app here.

Now get it done

Holy shit really? My bad Ozzy, I know it sucks to see people who have differing opinions. I personally only surround myself with people whom I agree with. Makes life easy.

Better circle those wagons because I ignore one person. Literally 1 person on my entire ignore list here at GAF. Keep up the excellent quality posts by the way I've never seen such insightful Halo posts before. The discussion value is second to none.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Better circle those wagons because I ignore one person. Literally 1 person on my entire ignore list here at GAF. Keep up the excellent quality posts by the way I've never seen such insightful Halo posts before. The discussion value is second to none.

That....that's parody

blamite

one thing i really do like about the campaign is the
speech during the epilogue

I don't understand
when that was supposed to take place though. It sounds like it's supposed to be from some kind of trial before he gets put in his cryptum, but from the terminals it seems like Librarian just goes off on her own and makes the decision herself. Unless we're getting into the whole two Didacts thing again, but that's just the worst.

I don't understand
when that was supposed to take place though. It sounds like it's supposed to be from some kind of trial before he gets put in his cryptum, but from the terminals it seems like Librarian just goes off on her own and makes the decision herself. Unless we're getting into the whole two Didacts thing again, but that's just the worst.

yea i dont know. the whole story of the game was kinda confusing if you've never payed attention to anything but the games. the terminals cleared some stuff up, but I don't know when/why it happens. i just thought it sounded good.

just saw this now.

ey, your finally doing a thing

First, do you have the game installed and fully patched? can you succesfully get into games online with your live gtag? did you download the latest dedi server version from MS?

Next, do you have the hardware/connection necessary to even host a dedi server?
BTW, you will potentially need another computer or instance or use some workaround to play on your server from the same PC that is hosting it, that was a quirk last time I was messing with that IIRC.

also This playlist helper might be of interest to you.

^That link is down, only posting it so you know what it is, you can find a mirror link for that app here.

Now get it done

Yes I have the dedi server and game installed with all patches and can connect and play games. Yes I have the required hardware. Yes, and I've already written the playlist script.

Yes ran across that quirk too after I had loaded the command prompt stuff up it wouldnt let me launch the game, said there was already an instance of Live for Windows running or something, I assume I'll have to launch it from another PC. (Possibly need another code too?) but thats all doable as I have several beefy PC's.

exYle

I don't understand

If I had to guess, this is right after the Forerunner-Human war, before the Didact exiled himself.

Fuchsdh

I don't understand

We don't really know what goes down after the Librarian incapacitates the Didact. He might have been given a trial. I assume we'll learn all about it in Silentium.

Questionable cover art aside, I'm supremely hyped for the book.

Striker

Competitive (NO LOADOUTS, Map specific starting weapons, static weapon spawns): Team Slayer, Team Objective, Team Doubles

There you go.
Even with Objective having no loadouts, no Incineration Cannons spawning on a select side randomly, and instead static weapons spawns, my gripe is still one that's very significant. The objective gametypes in H4 are freakin' awful. Went to Reach for about eight games or so tonight to play regular 2-flag and Neutral Assault and even in those settings, it's still way more fun than anything in H4 to me. Each game has their own issues, but gametypes are a big thing for me. There's nothing in H4 that grabs me and makes me want to stay there.

If there is one thing it still appears that developers have not grapsed it is that kids are going to be assholes online. When you give them the tools to further their assholery they are going to use them. There is no moral highground that a player is going to take. They're not going to be deciding their loadout and say, "I am too good for PV, Boltshot is for noobs, or Camo is for scrubs." They will exploit at all costs, and it is soley the developers fault, not the player.

willow ve

If there is one thing it still appears that developers have not grapsed it is that kids are going to be assholes online. When you give them the tools to further their assholery they are going to use them. There is no moral highground that a player is going to take. They're not going to be deciding their loadout and say, "I am too good for PV, Boltshot is for noobs, or Camo is for scrubs." They will exploit at all costs, and it is soley the developers fault, not the player.

This, in turn, has a terrible knock-on affect. If you want to win (the simplest and most pure "tenet" of Halo) then you will eventually have Boltshot in all of your loadouts too.

This, in turn, has a terrible knock-on affect. If you want to win (the simplest and most pure "tenet" of Halo) then you will eventually have Boltshot in all of your loadouts too.
Well it's not like there's much choice anyway, it's either that or PP since magnum was doomed to being shit tier forever.

So classic settings across the board then? Or do you mean limit loadouts to basic weappns and all others as pickups? Seems worse to just have one player with boltshot or PV etc.

I keep forgetting to add boltshot into my loadouts, then again I should really get around to putting an AA into my loadouts.

Stupid deleting loadouts bug.

Tawpgun

So classic settings across the board then? Or do you mean limit loadouts to basic weappns and all others as pickups? Seems worse to just have one player with boltshot or PV etc.

How is that worse? It'd be like someone picking up the shotgun on spawn. It's be like a more powerful mauler.

Havok

If they're a pickup, a conflict is created around what is essentially a limited resource and the offensive item in question can be taken out of play for a long period of time by player action. It creates a nice cadence of intensity as things spawn in at a predictable rate and location and the players create conflict over who controls them. What we have now with people spawning with them is a bit of a sense of futility and frustration - no matter what you do, that player will always have that item on spawn if he so chooses. That's fine...as long as those loadout items aren't particularly powerful, which things like boltshot and vision are (subjectively) considered to be. I don't know that it's the right solution, but it's a possibility that has worked extremely well in the past for power items and powerups/certain pieces of equipment, which are the closest analogue we have to the armor abilities in question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom