• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like Halo 4's campaign and SpOps. (Yes I do!) But goddamnit I am starting to hate the MP. First of all: I think the objective gametypes have their best iteration with Halo 4. CTF, Oddball, KotH and Extraction are fun. But goddamnit those laggy matches, those glitches makes the game hard to be fun. (And I have fun if I play with a whole party of 10 and play without randoms) And the concept of personal ordnance should be thought about.

Crucio

wooooow

Programmed inconsistency. Ship it for Halo 5
Or perhaps this inconsistency is due to the way players are moving. In the same way as sometimes you THINK you hit someone with the Shotgun BUT in reality you missed for whatever reason. Maybe the issue is latency which compounds the scattershot's accuracy/inaccuracy in certain situation.
Id like to see a video of test shots from pre set distances and and firering speeds.

Loginius

I can agree with that, there was definitely a disconnect that made navigation feel somewhat imprecise. As it was though, it still resembled Halo, in the way games unfolded, the scoring, the objectives, the spawning. Then you had the UI, and the core Halo gameplay once bloom was removed. Obviously the grenades were a cause for concern, but overall the package fit the demand, eventually.

Halo 4 is a long, long way off matching those standards, for me. And some things such as the UI will never return to the pinnacle that Reach was.

I agree, it felt like halo should feel.

I still like halo 4 better because I like quite a few maps (considering there arent that many yet) and I like the core gameplaymechanics (shooting, granades and movement) way more than I ever did in Reach (even MLG).
I actually have no Problem with the UI in 4, dont even see how it can be such a big probelm.
Things I dont like are how ordenance drops are handled (the idea is good, the execution very lacking), vehicle health, some perks and weapon spawn choices and I think some weapons need a serious overhaul (boltshot, binary).

wooooow

Programmed inconsistency. Ship it for Halo 5

yknow i often find myself thinking "my games are all too predictable. they need more random factors in order for me to have 'fun.' I do hope that the developers remove all programmed consistency and predictability so that I may have more 'fun' and 'wacky' 'random' moments."

Halo 5 will ditch the loadout feature in order to implement 24/7 fiesta spawns

I like Halo 4's campaign and SpOps. (Yes I do!) But goddamnit I am starting to hate the MP. First of all: I think the objective gametypes have their best iteration with Halo 4. CTF, Oddball, KotH and Extraction are fun. But goddamnit those laggy matches, those glitches makes the game hard to be fun. (And I have fun if I play with a whole party of 10 and play without randoms) And the concept of personal ordnance should be thought about.

I agree that the objective gamemodes are really fun in Halo 4, oddball especially.

the problem lies in the fact that there are no maps that properly utilize these gametypes. there are two "small" maps that work well for them with 4v4. that's it.

Karl2177

Bullshit.

Hey, that is my line!
Talking about Spartan Ops?
Yeah, it is bullshit.

In other non-haiku news I was playing through Assault on the Control Room and I realized that you can be killed by the turret turning into your player model. Also, what's up with weapons getting stuck in the ground and messing up all of the sound? I don't remember that at all in the original.

Hey, that is my line!
Talking about Spartan Ops?
Yeah, it is bullshit.

In other non-haiku news I was playing through Assault on the Control Room and I realized that you can be killed by the turret turning into your player model. Also, what's up with weapons getting stuck in the ground and messing up all of the sound? I don't remember that at all in the original.

That's a glitch in the original game too. Happens to me at least once per run.

LosDaddie

Banned
I also enjoy SpOps, but I think I enjoyed Firefight a bit more. Hopefully 343i will improve on it for season 2.

We wanted to give choice and shitloads of players LOVED Vanilla Reach. It was inelegant but Reach crept up from 9th place to (at one point) 3rd place after that. Halo 4 has plenty of issues right now, but it will be lovingly cared for and globally and continually (including weekly fixes on certain issues).

Good to know....Not that I doubt you guys would continue to improve the game. And I'm one of those gamer who indeed loved vanilla Reach, although Armor Lock was annoying.

If you want to know why I don't post as much any more - it's this level of discourse. And this sin't even a bad example. I post here as a member of the community. It's not actually a part of my job. Before you go off and say "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO..." etc, of course me and any member of the studio are supposed to take care of the needs of the community, we do, and we take it seriously and will continue to do so nonstop, through long hours, holidays, etc.

But is it too much to ask for conversation to remain civil? I simply try to speak to people as I would in real life. That's all.

This isn't something unique to gaf, or Halo, it's a general trend in everything from movies, to music to politics, and since it's not in my area of responsibility, I am choosing to avoid responding to this tone. While simultaneously reacting to its content as a practical aspect of the job.

So no matter how salty the conversation, the topics are being addressed and taken seriously, but the tone of discourse has plummeted over the years. I think new folks are used to it, or entered into it when it was like this, but I am old and farty and I remember how excited and optimistic folks used to be about this hobby.

Great post. Needed to be quoted again.:)

I'm dedicated to Halo, I've been around since day one xbox CE and I'm outspoken on B.net and Waypoint etc. I'm not worried at all. Game has been out a 5 or 6 weeks and it's now XMAS holidays plus the developer has plenty of early next year updates, weekly changes and have stated ongoing support.

I have fun with Halo 4, just like I did Reach, just like I did 3 or 2 or CE. They've all had their + and -. Sure my friends list over the years has more COD games when they're online but the same core friends I played with in previous games are the same I'm playing with today. Why those same friends? Because we're all happy with a new experience each game and realise it's about the fun of competition, not just competition for the winner skilled sake all the time.

Sure some smaller maps, tweaks and classic iterations but that's coming so what's the big deal right now? Some features to get patched, ok so it's not perfect but no Halo or video game has ever been that way, so relax and have some fun with your favourite franchise.

Same here. I've played every Halo game except Halo Wars. Enjoyed each one more than the last. I guess I'm just easy to please. :kanyshrug Same deal with my group of friends. A few have gone the CoD-route, but there's a group of us who still enjoy Halo, and play regularly.

Not even close. You couldn't make this place less inviting if you tried.

Indeed.

Havok

Yes. I am having fun with 4's CTF.
It's okay, and I'm glad that you're having fun...but that waypoint, the global 35 second reset timer (even on small maps), no proximity return ability, a totally gimped sudden death mechanic, no proximity contesting? Gross!
I smell a blogpost coming. *Waits patiently*
I'm considering it, but the one I wrote in September when the changes were announced is still basically how I feel about it and I don't want to sound like a broken record. Next up is probably an expansion of the rebuttal I posted to that Kevin Franklin excerpt that NullPointer posted a few weeks back.

It's okay, and I'm glad that you're having fun...but that waypoint, the global 35 second reset timer (even on small maps), no proximity return ability, a totally gimped sudden death mechanic, no proximity contesting? Gross!
For the record I haven't said it is perfect. And yes. I easily forget those problems. (I am not thinking that the waypoint or 35 second reset time is a problem). And yes. The sudden death mechanic is fucked up.

btw. I won't play the game much because it is laggy for me. The biggest flaw I have. Dedicated Servers next time pls.

Doesn't the high rate of fire make up for the wide spread at those ranges? How does the UNSC Shotgun compare at similar ranges with it's much slower ROF?
It is either a one shot or a two shot one that distances.

TheOddOne

I'm considering it, but the one I wrote in September when the changes were announced is still basically how I feel about it and I don't want to sound like a broken record. Next up is probably an expansion of the rebuttal I posted to that Kevin Franklin excerpt that NullPointer posted a few weeks back.
Cool, always like reading your stuff.

It's really nice to see the progress on Halo Waypoint as far as stats are concerned. Good stuff! I can almost guarantee that stats/Waypoint will be more tightly integrated into Halo 5 when there's more system resources available. Actually, I'll bet that going to the dashboard will likely be as simple as suspending the current game as if it were an app like on the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita. Still, it's nice to see Bravo posting things, too. Hopefully he got a good hazing from Jessica and crew ;)

Do you have a link to your blog? I'd like to read it, thanks!

Wow people, the entire point of that video was that the scattershot takes at least 3 shots for him while that one dude one shot him from a much farther range.

I don't think people really understand the scattershot just yet. I'm sure there's some sort of latency advantage at play, here, but as far as I can tell when I use it, strafing doesn't combine with it very well (notice how many projectiles that go right past the first guy and hit the wall at white/light ramp). The reticle really has to be completely on the guy after a certain distance for the gun to be even slightly effective - half of it just won't cut it, even if it's red. I'd wager that the spread is more or less random as well after a certain distance, so the rate of fire makes up for that weakness. What happened at the end was probably just luck of the draw, really. Not saying that I support it, but to be honest I don't think it's that great of a weapon, anyway. I'll pick it up, sure, but I'd much rather a shotgun, that gun just feels a lot more powerful. All that said, it would be worth it to hop into theatre to take a closer look if he has the video up on his fileshare. Slowing things down and freezing frames can reveal a lot (or just confuse us more).

Wow people, the entire point of that video was that the scattershot takes at least 3 shots for him while that one dude one shot him from a much farther range.

GloveSlap

I still really like the game. Maybe it is my one man army style of play, but Halo 4's gameplay and ordinance system really suits me.

My main problem with the game besides camo and boltshot are the lack of good small maps. Haven and Adrift are pretty much the only 4v4 maps I ever want to play on. Abandon and Solace can suck it.

Loginius

From what I remember the glitch was only in certain versions of the original game. I've never had it happen in Halo 1 but it happens occasionally in CEA.

Happens for me all the time.
(german retail halo 1 at launch, some classics collection later on and in CEA)

Homeboyd

Was busy with school anyway but Words with Friends when I'm not doing more productive stuff with my time. Going to redesign a beer logo for my portfolio this next week instead of gamez.
I pictured you as more of a "Draw Something" kind of person. Hard on phones though... that and there's no real 'competition'.. just for fun.

GloveSlap

The scattershot is definitely unpredictable at range. If you want guaranteed kills (you still get robbed sometimes) with it you just have to treat it as a rapid fire shotgun.

The dumb thing is that its completely worthless to try to bounce it around corners, which I think is the whole concept of the gun in the first place.

The scattershot is definitely unpredictable at range. If you want guaranteed kills (you still get robbed sometimes) with it you just have to treat it as a rapid fire shotgun.

The dumb thing is that its completely worthless to try to bounce it around corners, which I think is the whole concept of the gun in the first place.

More or less, yeah I agree. I have gotten a couple lucky kills this way, though, especially on dudes trying to grease themselves out of a death with no shields and a Hardlight Shield. It's something that I wish worked better, though, and it's something I've wanted the Needler to do more effectively since Halo: CE.

Tunavi

Banned
Dont know if i did but if I drunkenly posted her last night, sorry.

apparently I talked with heckfu over the phone? lol

Same way I feel in terms of liking campaign and SpOps but hating MP. I Really enjoyed the campaign and SpOps, but MP is so inconsistent and a complete mess of a game, not even worthy to clean the gum off of Halo 3 MP's shoe... Reach's MP is the same way though. Still think Halo 4's MP is better than Reach, but at this point, probably not by much unfortunately.

Updates to the stats web app is good news, but when is the mobile app going to reach anything resembling platform- or feature-parity with Reach?

Grrr...

And how are you implying that providing stats in-game is resource intensive? Just make them available in the main menu system and blocked off during gameplay. They're just numbers that need to be presented clearly. Maybe it's the combo of clearly presented information and menus that makes them absent from H4...

I saw this at HBO. Goddamnit this dialogues are great for fiction fans:
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1169469

That's what I loved about the campaign, so much meat for fiction fans there - more so than any other game, I think, too. This line is of particular interest to me: "The naval networks have you listed as KIA since '52 Chief. Earth's gonna be surprised when they hear you're back. Things have been going sideways since the end of the war."

I'd love to see that expanded upon in the next Halo, what with all the craziness that is going on "back home". Politics, man. We've seen a lot of that in Halo 2 and 3 as far as the Covenant goes, but I think 3, Reach, and 4 especially have hinted at a lot of cool UNSC/Human politics.
That ONI ship in Spartan Ops dropping off Halsey was absolutely bananas, and super cool.

Updates to the stats web app is good news, but when is the mobile app going to reach anything resembling platform- or feature-parity with Reach?

Grrr...

And how are you implying that providing stats in-game is resource intensive? Just make them available in the main menu system and blocked off during gameplay. They're just numbers that need to be presented clearly. Maybe it's the combo of clearly presented information and menus that makes them absent from H4...

Oh, I don't necessarily think that, I think it's more an issue of having the stats be a separate application entirely. They've made the decision to have the information from Halo Waypoint (not just stats, there's a ton of other content there, too) to be available in that app. I think that's the right way to go for now. I suppose all the detailed stats could be implemented in-game, but then there's the issue of updates, etc having to be pushed directly to the game rather than just a separate app. It also leaves them the liberty to change the design or layout at some point much easier, I'd imagine. There's probably a few other reasons that I can't think of right now, but it really is a lot of information to have hidden away in an already fairly complex menu system. Keep the stats fairly light in-game, with the essentials like medals, etc staying, but have the other app for everything else. The resource part comes in with running both side-by-side. In the future, I don't think that'll be an issue. Still, they handled it in 4 a bit better, what with not having to go to the dashboard and "booting" directly to the app and vice-versa (I think).

The game is just inconsistent with damage taken with and from weapons. I’ve taken two people down with one Scattershot, but in other matches it feels like I should switch it for the Plasma pistol because that seems to more damage. I’ve had matches where one DMR shot at me takes down half my shield, yet it takes me 6 to 7 bullets to kill the other guy.

I'm not saying you're lying, but you could save the videos and clips later to better analyze what actually happened. If indeed half your shields were taken down with one DMR shot, then that's a bug, and making a video about it, like this guy did, could help to improve things in the future. I for one would like to see these issues, because I either haven't experienced many of them, or I don't operate on the proper wavelength in-game to notice it.

TheOddOne

The game is just inconsistent with damage taken with and from weapons. I’ve taken two people down with one Scattershot, but in other matches it feels like I should switch it for the Plasma pistol because that seems to more damage. I’ve had matches where one DMR shot at me takes down half my shield, yet it takes me 6 to 7 bullets to kill the other guy.

I pictured you as more of a "Draw Something" kind of person. Hard on phones though... that and there's no real 'competition'.. just for fun.

I draw concepts for logos and such but my drawing these days amounts to really simplistic forms that don't even look that good on paper. Most of my drawing is done with a pen tool these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom