• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

Road

Thought the PSP/PS3 ones were of the separate Portable line, so wouldn't it just be comparing Wii/3DS/Wii U versions?

I was just thinking of all MH with "3" in the title. hehe

My point is the games are in sales bracket so apart from one another (5 million, 2 million, 1 million and 500k). There isn't much to compare. Maybe we can look in the future if MH3U (Wii U) will overtake MHP3HD (PS3), but not right now (especially since the Wii U isn't even in the top 30 anymore, so no numbers).

flippedb

Banned
Wii U is clearly not selling as well as Nintendo expected even in Japan.
If sales stay flat (or even drop) in the next two weeks, January could be brutal.
The rest is pretty much expected, 3DS is ruling the japanese holiday season, PS3 is doing ok, Vita is being simply skipped until there's enough software to make it an appealing purchase, Wii and 360 are dead. The only surprise this week is the PSP spike which basically proves that games sell the hardware.

But it is Japan's main home console!* It has even outsold the Wii!**

*In this holliday
**First 3 weeks compared.

BKK

Wii U is clearly not selling as well as Nintendo expected even in Japan.
If sales stay flat (or even drop) in the next two weeks, January could be brutal.
The rest is pretty much expected, 3DS is ruling the japanese holiday season, PS3 is doing ok, Vita is being simply skipped until there's enough software to make it an appealing purchase, Wii and 360 are dead. The only surprise this week is the PSP spike which basically proves that games sell the hardware.

With those sales it never will get any mass market appealing software, just ports and niche genres like STG and ADV. Similar to 360, which has been dead for years saleswise.

With those sales it never will get any mass market appealing software, just ports and niche genres like STG and ADV. Similar to 360, which has been dead for years saleswise.

Indeed. Vita has never been an appealing product to begin with, for what concerns the mass-market.

Elios83

Famitsu:

360 WK 51, 2006 - 19,511
PSV WK 51, 2012 - 19,056

Your point is completely broken as soon as you look at LTD numbers.
1 year of Vita sales: 1.1m
7 years of 360 sales: 1.6m

Vita's future depends on how convincing Sony's arguments can be and how much they're willing to invest to make it a success.
They have to stage a full relaunch to make a comeback. It's not something ordinary, but it's far from impossible. There have been good signs with the latest Vita software announcements.
Also there are unpredictable variables such as new original games which become unexpected hits and people start buying hardware to play them.
PS3 at some point was selling 4k units weekly and was struggling to reach 1m units LTD in Japan. Even PSP success in Japan came much later in the lifecycle and when it happened it was explosive, the same happened to the Nintendo DS but in the west, initially sales were poor then things changed completely with the DSi and a few specific games.
So no it's far too soon to draw conclusions.

Laguna

Banned
Namco Bandai is also trying to benefit from this period. Run for Money, Cinderella Lesson, Toriko, Taiko no Tatsujin (even though it was released this Summer) are all selling greatly. I'm expecting more manga tie-in next year, maybe the next One Piece will be on 3DS (Gigant Battle 3?).

Also Konami was right in releasing the 4th Magician's Quest. It'll do 100k easily.

I know that some 3rd party games are selling quite well but I was specifically talking about new releases in December, because if we include "evergreen" titles like Run for Money we could name MHTriG (a 2011 game) as well. Level5 seems to be one of the few exceptions that actually tried this December to profit from this predictable big 3DS hardware sales with their own new releases.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

The idea that you cannot draw conclusions on a device that has been on the market for an entire year and is selling historically bad is preposterous.

People expecting the Spring slate of Vita games to do anything meaningful for hardware sales are in for a rude surprise me thinks.

Rock_Man

ibzqU1ah0vKBwX.gif

Reminds me of the DS race to 4 million. It was a really close race between NSMB, AC and More Brain Age when Pokemon D/P hit and a few weeks later left the other ones behind. However, NSMB finally sold more than D/P. (I'm not suggesting any of the 3DS games will ever beat ACNL though :p)

Yjh9Q.png

I made this graph in June 2007. Four DS games that eventually sold more than 5 million were released within 10 months.

Spiegel

Your point is completely broken as soon as you look at LTD numbers.
1 year of Vita sales: 1.1m
7 years of 360 sales: 1.6m

Vita's future depends on how convincing Sony's arguments can be and how much they're willing to invest to make it a success.
They have to stage a full relaunch to make a comeback. It's not something ordinary, but it's far from impossible. There have been good signs with the latest Vita software announcements.
Also there are unpredictable variables such as new original games which become unexpected hits and people start buying hardware to play them.
PS3 at some point was selling 4k units weekly and was struggling to reach 1m units LTD in Japan. Even PSP success in Japan came much later in the lifecycle and when it happened it was explosive, the same happened to the Nintendo DS but in the west, initially sales were poor then things changed completely with the DSi and a few specific games.

I don't think BBK wanted to prove that 360 and Vita are in the same position. It just show how fucking disgraceful this Christmas season has been for Vita.

Dragon

Banned
I'll show you a glimpse of the future:

360 Week 51, 2012 sales: 1,689
PSV week 51 2018 sales: 1,689

Are Dragonsworne numbers similar to numbers from the site that shall not be named?

I don't think BBK wanted to prove that 360 and Vita are in the same position. It just show how fucking disgraceful this Christmas season has been for Vita.

Anytime you share similar numbers to the 360 in Japan you have failed worse than the Chicago Bears.

liger05

The idea that you cannot draw conclusions on a device that has been on the market for an entire year and is selling historically bad is preposterous.

People expecting the Spring slate of Vita games to do anything meaningful for hardware sales are in for a rude surprise me thinks.

A few weeks is too soon. I would say even 3 months is to soon but in no way is 1 year too soon.

Portugeezer

Highest 6th weeks:

1999-12-20 [NGB] Pokémon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) {1999-11-21} - 573,427 / 3,628,627
2002-12-23 [GBA] Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) {2002-11-21} - 385,614 / 3,197,762
2012-12-10 [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012-11-08} - 213,329 / 1,722,709
2006-10-30 [NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {2006-09-28} - 183,048 / 2,935,294
2005-12-26 [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) {2005-11-23} - 169,795 / 1,339,552

Highest 7th weeks:

1999-12-27 [NGB] Pokémon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) {1999-11-21} - 477,507 / 4,106,134
2002-12-30 [GBA] Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) {2002-11-21} - 408,831 / 3,606,593
2012-12-17 [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012-11-08} - 400,320 / 2,123,029
2007-12-17 [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) {2007-11-08} - 307,901 / 1,070,481
2006-01-02 [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) {2005-11-23} - 152,339 / 1,491,891

Pretty impressive.

Latest Vita software announcements are pure illusion. Multi with PS3 and ultra-niche games that will be lucky to sell 20k units... Hell, even the GC had a better line-up in terms of sales at a certain point.

Hoping to rely on "unexpected" hits is like hoping Vita will be successful thanks to Sony board of directors' prayers.

1. PS3 had big hits planned for it: MGS4, RE5, Yakuza, FFXIII, and basically all the top-tier support from third parties minus MH (which wasn't big back then), DQ and KH. Vita has none of them, and nothing comparable. Also: PS3 sold 4k units only before price-drops and new models.
2. PSP was selling reasonably after the launch, and never bad as Vita.
3. DS never sold as shitty as Vita. DS had Nintendo IPs, Vita has not.

Nope.

Takao

Banned
I expected the AKB48 game to sell better on Vita than those numbers, but hey at least it outsold the last PSP/Vita game, heh.

I guess if people keep telling themselves that the Vita will bounce back with high numbers, eventually they start to actually believe it! :)

Road

Reminds me of the DS race to 4 million. It was a really close race between NSMB, AC and More Brain Age when Pokemon D/P hit and a few weeks later left the other ones behind. However, NSMB finally sold more than D/P. (I'm not suggesting any of the 3DS games will ever beat ACNL though :p)

Yjh9Q.png

I made this graph in June 2007. Four DS games that eventually sold more than 5 million were released within 10 months.

The DS "5 million club" was really something out of this world. Before my time in sales-age. I liked it how later BW made it 5 games to reach 5 million.

As for game beating ACNL, history could still repeat itself and a new-gen Pokemon could beat it in the race to 4 million. Depends on when it's released (if December, then maybe not) and stock (BW reached 4m in 4 weeks; DP in 13 weeks). The other strong contender is obviously MH4.

If all align, we could be watching a three way race to 4 million next year.

Kandinsky

Wow@ 3DS
Meh@ PS3/PSP
D:mad: Vita
LOL!@ WiiU

Man I really can't believe those Vita numbers, I thought for sure it would sell 50k at least for a new platform/AKB1/week 51, holy shit wat.

Now time to read the rest of the thread, I really can't stay away from these.

test_account

XP-39C²
I guess if people keep telling themselves that the Vita will bounce back with high numbers, eventually they start to actually believe it! :)
Did anyone here say that? I've seen that someone keeps the options open that the sales can increase (not necessarily to high numbers), but not that it will be high numbers and that it will bounce back.

Celine

Wow@ 3DS
Meh@ PS3/PSP
D:mad: Vita
LOL!@ WiiU

Man I really can't believe those Vita numbers, I thought for sure it would sell 50k at least for a new platform/AKB1/week 51, holy shit wat.

Now time to read the rest of the thread, I really can't stay away from these.
Yeah vita number is incredible as the 3ds one, just for the opposite reason.
I m stll surprised mh for wiiu didn t chart in top 30.

liger05

Did anyone here say that? I've seen that someone keeps the options open that the sales can increase (not necessarily to high numbers), but not that it will be high numbers and that it will bounce back.

Of course the sales can increase but what numbers are we talking about where it isnt seen as a continued failure? 30k a week, 40k a week?

disco

I heard rumblings from somewhere on NeoGAF that MH4 is likely going to come out in August. Does that mean Pokemon is unlikely to hit sometime next year? I would've thought it would come out between June and August... Won't that be a bit too close for competition?

BKK

MH was also planned for PS3, Capcom moved it to Wii after PS3's terrible Japanese sales compared to Wii.

Of course PSV will go on to sell several million more than 360, but it's impossible to persuade 3rd parties to put significant games on a platform which is being outsold by so much more by it's main competitor and is also so far behind LTD. PS3 Vs Wii situation was never so bad, and Sony had already cut PS3 price after less than 1 year, so we can see Sony's commitment to PSV compared to PS3. They've basically done all they can with getting 3rd parties to support the platform ... ports of PS3/P games and niche genres which can survive off of small installed bases. Support wise there's little reason to expect it to be much different than 360 or DC.

Sony's recent track record with first party breakout hits in Japan is terrible, this will be even more compounded by having to ramp up development for PS4.

Nothing points to any of those things which might possibly turn Vita around being very likely, even if they're not technically impossible (winning the lottery isn't either).

Salvadora

I heard rumblings from somewhere on NeoGAF that MH4 is likely going to come out in August. Does that mean Pokemon is unlikely to hit sometime next year? I would've thought it would come out between June and August... Won't that be a bit too close for competition?

Pokemon generally comes out in September, B2/W2 excluded.

Rock_Man

As for game beating ACNL, history could still repeat itself and a new-gen Pokemon could beat it in the race to 4 million. Depends on when it's released (if December, then maybe not) and stock (BW reached 4m in 4 weeks; DP in 13 weeks). The other strong contender is obviously MH4.

Yes, I was referring to the games in your graph that won't have chance to beat ACNL. I won't predict future games but it would be nice to see a Capcom game on the number one spot in the end.

Looking forward to the 4 million race next year. :)

Snakeyes

Time for Sony to play their two trump cards: the Final Fantasy VII remake and Kingdom Hearts 3.

On a more serious note, is it safe to assume that Nintendo are more likely to adopt a bigger form factor for their next handheld based on the 3DS XL's success?

But, for a brand new system during the holidays with no shortages? Those sales aren't good at all.
They're not super braggy numbers, but they are above average. Wii is probably the only new home console of the last 20 years to have a better first holiday. PS2 being the victim of 9-months-after-launch-we're-finally-selling-outside-of-Japan shortages.

P90

Time for Sony to play their two trump cards: the Final Fantasy VII remake and Kingdom Hearts 3.

Sony owns a very small amount of SE. Sony doesn't have the pull or push that they had. Sony has no "trump cards" at this point in time.

Yeah vita number is incredible as the 3ds one, just for the opposite reason.
I m stll surprised mh for wiiu didn t chart in top 30.
3GHD had already dropped below 15k last week. Not to say the game is doing poorly, it's just that the holiday bump favored other games more.

Can someone explain to me how 360 got MH frontier and the PS3 didnt?

Did it really just come down to it being an easy port from PC?
That plus I think the 360 online ecosystem is a bit friendlier to it.

On a more serious note, is it safe to assume that Nintendo are more likely to adopt a bigger form factor for their next handheld based on the 3DS XL's success?
What makes you think Nintendo hasn't already scooped those two games up for the WiiU, hahha

Celine

I'm sure if they finance it fully, Square will be more than happy to oblige and take their cut of the profits
I don't think so.
Remaking Final Fantasy VII is a big undertaking (there is a reason why they are doing 10 first).
For what then, release it on vita or at best ps3?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Of course PSV will go on to sell several million more than 360

Several millions more sounds like a whole lot, but would you rule out a situation where PSV just repeats a GameCube (which would still amount to a rise compared to its current situation) - which would technically be "several million" - but only really be less than three millions more

NeonZ

I wouldnt say that but I'd say its fair to say that it has joined the ranks of pokemon, 2D Mario, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. Although animal crossing, pokemon and monster hunter can only pull these numbers on handhelds.

As far as Pokemon goes, it's not like Nintendo has ever tried to do a real Pokemon game for consoles. Maybe if the WiiU doesn't get any runaway hits and the third party support continues lacking they'll consider playing that card... Online and Wifi would allow them to include all features of the handheld games.

Was 25.5k last week and nsmb and NL increased slightly this week.
My bad, should have double checked before hitting Post. My earlier comment about the game doing about as well relatively compared to P3rd HD considering the smaller install base still stands though.

Road

Sony finances new FFVII remake

Square outsources it to Nihilistic who makes it a card battle game for Playstation Mobile.

Clueless consumers still buy 1 million copies.

?????

Profit
for Square Enix anyway

Remaking Final Fantasy VII is a big undertaking[...]

That's why Nintendo has I don't think so. Remaking Final Fantasy VII is a big undertaking (there is a reason why they are doing 10 first). For what then, release it on vita or at best ps3?[/QUOTE]"]two secret subsidiaries.

liger05

When the XL was announced was the general feeling that in Japan the XL wouldnt really be the dominant system and the original 3DS would still be the more popular version?

I'm surprised* there's so much heated discussion over what at first glance seems to me like a totally non-interesting update. Everything makes sense on the chart. I guess the wiiU could be a bit better but it's still too early to even form anything close to a conclusion about anything. These will be more interesting for me in a month or two.

*I'm not surprised.

BKK

Several millions more sounds like a whole lot, but would you rule out a situation where PSV just repeats a GameCube (which would still amount to a rise compared to its current situation) - which would technically be "several million" - but only really be less than three millions more

No, I wouldn't rule out GameCube numbers. I'm not predicting if it will do more or less though.

Top Bottom