• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

zkylon

zkylewd
Buy the Scorchers DLC as well!
The gunplay is great, but I'm not really feeling RAGE. The story lacks any real hooks and driving doesn't interest me.

It's also probably the only game I'm constantly disgusted by the terrible texture quality, and I'm not a graphics enthusiast by any means. It's even worse because the art direction is amazing.

Glass Rebel

The gunplay is great, but I'm not really feeling RAGE. The story lacks any real hooks and driving doesn't interest me.

It's also probably the only game I'm constantly disgusted by the terrible texture quality, and I'm not a graphics enthusiast by any means. It's even worse because the art direction is amazing.

That's a bummer, RAGE is among my favourite FPS ever. Guns are fantastic and I love every single enemy encounter. I guess it helps that I rarely care about story in my FPS as long as the rest holds up.

It's true that the textures are really poor in many places but I stopped noticing it during the gunfights. I recommend sticking with it as the game gets even better the more weapons and tools you get.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's a bummer, RAGE is among my favourite FPS ever. Guns are fantastic and I love every single enemy encounter. I guess it helps that I rarely care about story in my FPS as long as the rest holds up.

It's true that the textures are really poor in many places but I stopped noticing it during the gunfights. I recommend sticking with it as the game gets even better the more weapons and tools you get.
Yeah, I agree, shooting stuff is great, it's just that everything in between is very uninspiring.

OH shit....I didnt see the escape clause.
:D

Ledsen

The only thing anyone gifted you was the sequel to BOUT right? So you bought:
  • BOUT
  • ME3
  • Hotline Miami
  • Far Cry 3
  • Syndicate
Hmmm . . . seems to me that this challenge should really have been "For 1 Year-Buy games and beat them immediately" :p

I mean, here's your escape clause:

Hate to break this to you Ledsen, but your escape clause is becoming the norm for you! You're already broken son!

It is, isn't it? It's way better than before, when new games went into the backlog, but I'm really not following the spirit of the challenge. Well, BOUT and ME3 will last me a good long while, so I'll be forced to stop escape clausing anyway. We've still got 12 months left, I've got time to prove myself :)

Also challenge-GAF is best GAF :)

NinjaBoiX

Just picked up Hitman Absolution, Far Cry 3, The Walking Dead and Halo 4. Just need Hitman/Ratchet/ZOE HD, AC3, SH: Downpour and a handful of Vita games, namely LBP, AC3L and Persona 4.

I'll never be able to do this challenge.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Anarchy Reigns is going to be my escape clause, then I'll go cold turkey on buying stuff until Black Friday 2013. That's my plan for this...

Bururian

I'm in. Other than Animal Crossing next year, which I really do want to play, There aren't really any games i want to purchase, and I have a ton of games I need to go through anyways.

The Mega Man games being on the 3DS eShop are exempt, since they're just ports, and I've played them a billion times before.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Preordered Fire Emblem which will be the first of my two (planned) escape clause games, the other being Ys when it gets announced and released eventually.

And I assume gifts given and received don't count. Got NSMBWU for Christmas and it's pretty fun, around halfway through world 3 with all the star coins collected so far.

Island

I'm in for Jan 1st. I do have a few games on my radar that I may break for.

Metal gear rising
SC 2
Last of us
GTA 5
Watch dogs
Remember me

Besides that I should be good. Though I am interested in how DLC is counted or micro transactions?

Save money! Play games!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I forgot about the XBLA ports of Virtual On and Virtua Striker. Would it be okay if I traded in some games to get a 1600 MS Point card for that?

Ledsen

Damn Book of Unwritten Tales is LONG! 12 hours in and the end isn't really in sight, and I've been powering through it at a fast clip without ever getting stuck (the puzzles are just the right difficulty I've found). Really enjoying it though, fantastic choice for anyone who likes classic adventure games but hasn't found stuff like Telltale as good as they hoped. A light-hearted fantasy epic with sometimes breathtakingly beautiful graphics, likeable characters, good voice acting and very proper pacing. I'm now officially a fan of King Art (the developer). Rest assured there will be a LTTP thread when I've at least started on the prequel.

Bururian

For the time being, I'm focusing everything I have on three games.

FTL, Fortune Street, and Rhythm Thief. everything else is fodder until I actually finish one of these. One of the Tour modes for Fortune Street, and once I can actually finish a game of FTL on easy mode. I'm getting destroyed on just the first half dozen sectors. Rhythm Thief is a standard game by the other two's standards.

Katzii

Week 4 Summary: December 30th 2012

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 0
Games started: 2
New games purchased: 0 (but I have received four games for Christmas)
Total spent on games since 01/12/2012: £15.71

As mentioned above, my game total went up by four over Christmas, as I received copies of Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion for the 3DS, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for the Wii U and 999 for the DS.

Thus far, I have started both of the 3DS games and have nearly completed Epic Mickey: I have beaten the game and seen the end credits, but there are a few more fetch quests to do before I can call it entirely complete. For a game that is getting a lot of grief, I have really had a good time with it and, despite my busy schedule, have put a good 13 hours into it thus far.

(I can see why people might have issues, but I personally have had a lot of fun)

I've done a few levels of Paper Mario, but will focus on this more once I'm done with Mickey. Since I loaned my Wii U to friends a couple of weeks ago, I cannot start Sonic Kart until the New Year, and I also want to have more time to dedicate to 999 before I begin it.

I did get to Level 4 of Lomax, but being busy has thrown a spanner in the works, as it were. Again, when the New Year comes and I hopefully have more time on my hands, I can chip away at that as well.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Max Payne 3, Lolipop Chainsaw, and a couple of Call of Duty games will start me off on this challenge. Wish me luck.

Spierek

A bit late but...

Week 8:
Games bought - 1
Games finished - 4
Backlog - still loads.
Now playing - Radiant Historia, Jamestown, PROTOTYPE 2

I've only had time for Radiant Historia this week, but I'm close to finishing it. Got to AH: Chapter 5 in 22h, I'll probably need another 8 to be done with it.

RpgN

Games Completed:

Velocity (minis/psp)
Canabalt (minis/psp)
Dead or Alive 4 (xbox 360)

Games Bought:

None.

Current Games Playing:

Ecco The Dolphin Defender of the Future (dreamcast)
Xenogears (ps1/psp)
Headhunter (dreamcast)
Breakquest (minis/psp)
Jetpack Joyride (minis/psp)

Even though Velocity is complete, I'm still playing the game trying to get all golds, perfect runs and find some secrets. I won't mention the game further though.

Canabalt is the highscore kind of game that doesn't end, however I played it a fair bit with some higher scores. It should be acknowledged that it has been played and a lot of enjoyment has been had out of it. Again, I'll continue to play with the game here and there but it won't be mentioned further.

All stories have been completed with all characters including Helena with DoA4.

I continued playing with Ecco the Dolphin yesterday and today, three chapters have been cleared. This concludes the second major story arc (out of 4). I've had a start on the third arc.

Wok

So, guys, I am not doing the challenge, but I am sharing with you the list of games I have finished in 2012.

ArwlC.png

Impossible with Dragon Quest X and possibly VII coming out this year.

I practically did it this last year I was unemployed. Only bought Code of Princess, Paper Mario, Devil Survivor 2 and some downloadable games but sold (or in the process of selling the physical media)

Rctdaemon

Count me in for this from 1/1/13 to 1/1/14. My escape clause is the same as the OP's, but I am also adding pledging to Kickstarter campaigns. I'm taking my Xbox and a stack of unopened games with me when I go back to my apartment and I have other, more concerning things that I need money for than games. With the new year 20 minutes away, I'm going to see if I can spend it clearing my pile of shame. Happy new year and godspeed, gentlemen; I'll see you in a week.

barugon

It's been a slow holiday season. I've been avoiding game purchases fairly well, with the exception being the THQ Humble Bundle (I consider that charity more than anything). All the same, I'm 85% done with Saints Row 3 and I'll admit that it's been well worth it. I'm also nearing completion of Halo 4, and while it's enjoyable enough, I'm fairly confident that it will be my last Halo purchase.

My backlog is shrinking a little slower than I'd hoped, but I'll see how it goes now that the holidays are done with. I did not receive (or want) any games for Christmas, which is probably the first time in 20+ years.

I'm about to start the Hector trilogy and hope to knock it out pretty quickly. It seems funny enough, but I kind of regret the purchase. Maybe it will surprise me.

BurningNad

I need to do this as well. I keep focusing on Smite and Natural Selection 2, two games that will never truly "end", yet I buy new games like crazy. I need to finish normal modes for quite a few games before I can strike them off my backlog list. Only exception is DmC, I'll probably get that day 1 if I can get a deal on it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I started Joy Ride Turbo last night. Collecting all the parts is probably going to take a guide or something. Otherwise, it's pretty fun.

I may start Midway Arcade Origins tonight and collect a few achievements.

Spierek

Week 9:
Games bought - 1
Games finished - 6
Backlog - right here.
Now playing - Radiant Historia, G-Senjou no Maou, PROTOTYPE 2

Finally finished L.A. Noire and Jamestown. I've also returned to G-Senjou no Maou after a 5-month long break and successfully resisted EVERY single Steam Sale, even the ridiculous -91% on Sleeping Dogs.

Katzii

Week 5 Summary: January 6th 2013

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 3
Games started: 3
New games purchased: 0
Total spent on games since 01/12/2012: £15.71

I managed to put an extra hour into Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion and complete everything it had to offer. I tried to attempt a retro weekend this weekend and beat the GBA version of Disney's Magical Quest 2 Starring Mickey & Minnie (which didn't impress me) and completed the Game Gear version of Cosmic Spacehead (shortly after which my Game Gear died off).

I also started my Wii U copy of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, although I am taking this game slowly and in bite-sized chunks, so it will take a while to complete.

Impossible, you guys are nuts.

I get a new ipad game every week or so. Not to mention XBLA, eShop on my new 3DS, GTA V, Bioshock, New Xbox, Destiny. Fuck, it would be impossible.

Ledsen

Finished TBOU, started ME3. My almost-loss has been averted. Phew. Participated in the Steam wish list thread, but declined to receive any games. Then after I gifted a game to Corto, he gifted me Krater out of the blue, lol. That's one game I'm definitely not taking any blame for getting :)

Also the OP should be completely updated. Please check if you're there or if I missed your post in which case I'll add you. Also tell me if you've already failed so I can strike you.

Only two fails so far seems unrealistic :p

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I really don't have much money beyond Anarchy Reigns, so I don't plan on failing this. I have bills to pay and I have to save up for my plans to move to Atlanta. No money for video games, gotta make do with what I have.

Booted up Midway Arcade Origins, and the achievements are harder than expected. They have to be acquired in a mode where you can't continue, making getting past the first area in Smash TV oh so hard. And 720 is almost unplayable. It was worth it, though, to have all these classics on one disc. Hopefully there's a sequel with some more classics- I could use a playable version of Hard Drivin' now.

zkylon

zkylewd
Alright so my haul from the Steam sale has been pretty huge, but I think I'm alright, as long as I get to it right away.

Let's see...

• FTL: like usually with roguelikes, eventually I got tired of losing. Gotten 10+ hours out of it and never beaten it, so I consider I got its money's worth.
  • RAGE: beaten, didn't love it, didn't hate it, it has wasted potential written all over the place. I'm doing some multiplayer on and off with a fellow gaffer.
  • Spec Ops: beaten twice, loved it. Wholeheartly recommend it to anyone who thinks games are capable of more than killing time.
  • Clash of Heroes: playing it at the moment, enjoying it a lot, but I always knew it was gonna be played in the in-betweens.
  • To The Moon: haven't touched it yet, will probably do it in one sitting on tuesday

The rest of them were just gifts.

RpgN

Games Completed:

Star Fox 3D (3DS)
Breakquest (Minis/PSP)

Games Bought:

Star Fox 3D

Star Fox came out of the blue. It was on sale in Holland for a pretty decent price, which is something that is pretty unusual with Nintendo published games. I took it knowing it was a very short game based on the impressions in Gaf. It turned out the game was even shorter than imagined, it was completed in around an hour and 20 minutes. There are alternative routes and high replay value in playing this game more often, so I'm going to play more of this in the future. Escape clause used and the game was dealt with swiftly thanks to its length.

Breakquest took longer to complete, it was an enjoyable minis, one that has me wanting to get the sequel eventually too.

Rctdaemon

I'm still in this. No games purchased and I'm almost finished with Rayman Origins. The final time attack is currently driving me crazy.

Edit: And done!
pos13-raymanorigins.jpg

The last world and secret level tested my mettle, but they're conquered! Despite some niggling issues, I still loved how the game looked and do not regret giving it my GOTY in 2011.

Keikaku

Turns out that my Aunt (Mom's younger sister) remembered that I like video games and gave me a $50 gift card for Gamestop. There is a caveat for gifts so here's my haul:

WII
De Blob
Kirby's Epic Yarn

Xbox 360
Vanquish

DS
Exit
Glory of Heracles

Kinda nuts that all that was only about $35 too. I still have $15 left on the card.

I also got Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition gifted to me over Steam by my roommate. I haven't spent a dime but I have so many more games now . . .

Ledsen

Turns out that my Aunt (Mom's younger sister) remembered that I like video games and gave me a $50 gift card for Gamestop. There is a caveat for gifts so here's my haul:

If one was a bit evil and perhaps mischievous, one could say that what she gifted you wasn't actually games but money, and you used that money to buy games when you could've saved it and used it to buy games only in accordance with the challenge... if one were evil, that is. Luckily we're all nice here ;)

Also if it's not obvious, I'm yanking your chain :)

Keikaku

If one was a bit evil and perhaps mischievous, one could say that what she gifted you wasn't actually games but money, and you used that money to buy games when you could've saved it and used it to buy games only in accordance with the challenge... if one were evil, that is. Luckily we're all nice here ;)

Also if it's not obvious, I'm yanking your chain :)
Maaaaaaan, it was a Gamestop gift card. I can't use that anywhere else lol

It was obvious :p

Spierek

First crisis, I've pre-ordered DmC (for PC). Gonna play it as soon as I get it, which will probably be on the 25th.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I used my escape clause today for Anarchy Reigns. It's going into my X360 as soon as I get home, and then no more games until Black Friday...

barugon

Turns out that my Aunt (Mom's younger sister) remembered that I like video games and gave me a $50 gift card for Gamestop.

I'm sitting on a $50 Best Buy gift card myself and can't decide how to use it. I never really buy anything but games from Best Buy and it's tempting to rationalize a purchase under the pretense that it was a gift. I suppose I could buy a couple of blu rays, but it's not as exciting. They sell Amazon gift cards, don't they? I wonder if you can buy a gift card with a gift card.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm sitting on a $50 Best Buy gift card myself and can't decide how to use it. I never really buy anything but games from Best Buy and it's tempting to rationalize a purchase under the pretense that it was a gift. I suppose I could buy a couple of blu rays, but it's not as exciting. They sell Amazon gift cards, don't they? I wonder if you can buy a gift card with a gift card.

I think it's possible to buy a gift card with a gift card, and yes, they do sell Amazon cards. (Kindle cards, to be specific, but they can be used for anything.)

can't do this. I will need to get some games.

and you need to support your industry by paying at least top dollar for the studios/franchises you care about.

you just gotta.

LAST OF US
GEARS JUDGEMENT

are both definite purchases so far.

barugon

I think it's possible to buy a gift card with a gift card, and yes, they do sell Amazon cards. (Kindle cards, to be specific, but they can be used for anything.)

Then my Best Buy gift card will fuel my board game addiction rather than my video game addiction. Word.

george_us

Just beat Mass Effect 3 today. Ending wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Now I'll be concentrating mainly on Atelier Meruru with sprinkles of Forza: Horizon, Borderlands 2, and Dragon's Dogma.

Top Bottom