• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Be careful, though... first you have to check out previous codec packs installed and the settings for the media splitter and disable/remove dependencies to avoid conflicts. Also, you have to make sure of selecting and installing the now optional madshi's madVR renderer because KCP goes by default to EVR, as CCCP still does, practically neglecting any substantial difference between the two packages.

I....really don't know what you're talking about here.
Too technical.

Articalys

So apparently that new Lucky Star thing being teased was... an anime of a spin-off.
A wooden ema prayer plaque hung in offering at Washinomiya Shrine, the Tokyo area's oldest shrine and a real-life backdrop for the Lucky Star anime series, has announced that an anime adaptation of Kagami Yoshimizu's Lucky Star spinoff manga Miyakawa-ke no Kūfuku (The Miyakawa Family's Hunger) manga is in the works. The manga is based on the Lucky Star Moe Drill game and centers around big sister Hinata Miyakawa and little sister Hikage Miyakawa's poor daily life at home (due to Hinata's wasteful habits) and Hikage's life at elementary school.

/XX/

I....really don't know what you're talking about here.
Too technical.
I don't know much and I can't even use specific terms apart from some very well known names, someone like Unknown Soldier is certainly the knowledgeable one on these matters. Anyway, just be careful of installing right away anything before making sure you disabled previously installed codec packs and renderers you could have. If you don't know how to access settings managers of the media splitter, find what internal or external filters your preferred player uses.

I can't say more without knowing what you specifically use right now.

This Boy Can Fight Aliens end (kono danshi uchuujin to tatakaemasu)
tumblr_m62y0yUBqv1qco43wo3_500.jpg
tumblr_m3krlhfW9g1qg4i9go1_r1_500.gif

Best 30$ on an anime Ive ever spent so far. Really good story for the character interactions and kind of really liked the visuals and the character designs, was it all really done by only one person? Simply the story of an amnesiac boy (kakashi) who stumbles upon two characters in a task force to fight aliens (Shiro and Arikawa) has fun while continually getting more and more depressed as he lives with them and ponders his past. I liked how the bonds between them grew and nice moments of holding hands, a minor love triangle of sorts, and even sleeping together. Much of it was fun and lighthearted while then throwing bits to show the feelings of Kakashi as he did feel somewhat unneeded. Liked their time cooking together and just daily life. Really good climax and
so glad he returned to them
. Visually liked how there was a nice mix of words and such to add emphasis to what they were saying or how many of the environments looked fresh, certain kind of style thats hard to put into words.

The blu ray had other shorts, two with the same theme of exploring characters who were thinking of wanting the world too end. Sekaikei Sekairon seemed interesting and one of the characters definitely seemed as inspiration for Shiro, and Ra/Radio Noise Planet (a planet with only six people) which had the best music of the sorts but was kind of short and decent. My favorite of the shorts was Robotica Robotics, a really good story of sorts of what is love between Masa and his two robot sons Haru and Natsu who had previously been thrown out by some lady. It got really emotional and such but was filled with comedy and what not. Haru and Natsu so good. We need more bl anime.
tumblr_mdbdvvZu2C1r13stjo1_500.png
tumblr_mbwd8l39Xg1r13stjo1_500.png

Articalys

A new PV for Sunrise's idol series, Love Live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBk5ttrDjIk
Otonokizaka High School stands on the border of three cities: Akihabara–a pop culture mecca that's evolving by the minute; Kanda–a conservative, cultured city where history and tradition reign supreme; and Jinbo–a quiet area reserved for a more mature, sophisticated population. Amidst this culture clash, the school now faces closure due to the enrollment of fewer and fewer students.

With the school planning to close within three years, nine female students come together with one thing in mind—form a pop idol group to revive the school's popularity and keep it from shutting down. “In order to protect our beloved school, there's only one thing we can do...become pop stars!”

Their goal is simple: Become an overnight sensation and use their nationwide media exposure to promote their school and bring in a wave of new students to the ailing area. A simple but solid plan, they figure. Naturally, they're nervous and wonder if this plan can really succeed, but for better or worse their new journey has begun...

“All we can ask for is just a tiny bit of support from you. We truly believe that with your help, we can change the world around us. We will make our dreams come true!”

Aren't you already looking forward to the latest Soubi Yamamoto piece? This Boy, Picked Up A Merman's OVA is already out (http://www.konodan.com/merman/dvd):

映画『この男子、人魚ひろいました。』予告編 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQtJco3lrLI

Whoa really?, that looks awesome and it made me all teary eyed, hope Sentai picks that up!.

Novid

Banned
Sounds like the kind of thing that would get Chris Remo pretty pumped. In all honesty though, Space Bros is kind of awesome for that and I really do hope that inspires kids to get excited about space again. Lord knows that no-one else is really trying.

The reason why space bros is never gonna get picked up in the states for the very reason why its a good show. Maybe the movie will have some play in the Nasa circles and some of the other sci-geek ones (maybe TED, maybe Pax) but as for the series and the movie? Tough Beans. Yet another reason funi got to go.

DiGiKerot

The reason why space bros is never gonna get picked up in the states for the very reason why its a good show. Maybe the movie will have some play in the Nasa circles and some of the other sci-geek ones (maybe TED, maybe Pax) but as for the series and the movie? Tough Beans. Yet another reason funi got to go.

Sentai Filmworks have already licensed Space Brothers, by the way.

Kurita

They can rename it Space DudeBros in the USA.

wonzo

Banned
Sentai Filmworks have already licensed Space Brothers, by the way.
fucking lmao

A new PV for Sunrise's idol series, Love Live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBk5ttrDjIk
These character designs are pretty shit.

Also, a new 90-second Tamako Market PV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5To6OuBq72w
fyi this is the c83 one

Grzi

Okay, so I'm currently watching the second Berserk movie and I was actually enjoying it, much more than the first one that's for sure. Must be the extremely lowered expectations.
So here comes the battle for Doldrey, and god motherfucking damn, these IDIOTS changed my favorite moment :(((((((((((((((((((((
They destroyed the most perfect scene.
There's no Zodd, he doesn't throw his sword to Guts, Guts' sword doesn't break, he just beats the general and that's it, it sucks, it's boring, it's stupid, it lacks that impact of the original scene, that small touch of fantasy that made that battle special, it ruined the entire motherfucking film for me and now I don't even feel like finishing it. I don't get it, why would you do that, it doesn't make sense. Fuck this shit.

And I usually hate these types of rants, it just pissed me off so much.

Novid

Banned
Some strange thoughts about how they edit blu-rays for animation/anime.

I recently picked up both of the Platinum collections for the looney toons shorts - they had everything right but the aspet ratio (it was 4:3 safe for some stupid reason even though the shorts were done in 2K from the early 1940's onwards). This is the same problem the trekkies found out with Star Trek (TOS and TNG) - its 4:3 safe but the film was the same used on I Love Lucy (which can go widescreen in TOS case) and a fuckon of mid 1980's TV series (in TNG's) case.

I mean i loved the blu-ray but this a problem with a lot of animation/anime and some of the pre 1953 movies. I mean its a wonderful life has been poked, prodded, and still is in 4:3 for no good reason. Even CBS stated when they were making the TOS blu-rays that they did had extra info on the negivtives but it would show "too much of the set" which is bullshit ballfaced lie. Im just disspointed Jerry Beck and his squad spend so much work on this and they cant downconvert a 2K image to widescreen like they can do on a majority of the films... Anime has a bit of an excuse - but even when they have the original cells they cant even get it widescreen. I want to call it lazyness or lack of good video production but Sony Took 4 YEARS for Arabia and it came out perfect. Why not the same care if not the same time for these series?

duckroll

Okay, so I'm currently watching the second Berserk movie and I was actually enjoying it, much more than the first one that's for sure. Must be the extremely lowered expectations.
So here comes the battle for Doldrey, and god motherfucking damn, these IDIOTS changed my favorite moment :(((((((((((((((((((((
They destroyed the most perfect scene.
There's no Zodd, he doesn't throw his sword to Guts, Guts' sword doesn't break, he just beats the general and that's it, it sucks, it's boring, it's stupid, it lacks that impact of the original scene, that small touch of fantasy that made that battle special, it ruined the entire motherfucking film for me and now I don't even feel like finishing it. I don't get it, why would you do that, it doesn't make sense. Fuck this shit.

And I usually hate these types of rants, it just pissed me off so much.

Wow. That kinda sucks. That was a pretty major moment in the manga. Why did they remove it?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
# of doujin circles for each property:

2442 (-284) - Touhou
1014 (-112) - Tiger & Bunny
*900 (---) - Kuroko no Basuke
*744 (+254) - iDOLM@STER
*688 (-160) - Hetalia
*622 (-96) - Sengoku Basara
*514 (+50) - Vocaloid
*426 (-72) - Tennis no Ouji-sama
*424 (+132) - Magi
*414 (+12) - Precure
*400 (+6) - Fate
*346 (-82) - Uta no Prince-sama
*324 (+66) - Nintama Rantarou
*318 (-106) - Gintama
*272 (-8) - Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
*264 (-20) - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
*262 (-118) - Ribbon
*250 (-108) - Inazuma Eleven
*232 (-136) - Blue Exorcist
*230 (-44) - Tales of...
*208 (-54) - One Piece

So help me if
there's not a single NaoxAkane doujin from one of those groups...
Blood will be shed.

wonzo

Banned
Musashi Gundoh TV 7

gundoh7.jpg

This episode as usual started off with the exact same opening animation about a mysterious meteorite that crashes into earth and inexplicably starts to grow like a tree. This cataclysmic event seemingly leads to complete and utter destruction of civil order with countless wars being fought for some reason. What makes this opening different is that it's followed up with yet another recap of the events of the last recap episode but this time voiced by Yuu Kobayashi. It's only after the first ~ 5 minutes has passed that anything interesting actually happens.

gundoh7a.jpg
gundoh7b.jpg
gundoh7c.jpg

The first actual scene of the show starts off with the Lemon faced man (presumably the long cousin of a certain noble from Glass Fleet) who seems to get his sustinance not from food but by sapping the life out of young women turning them into old lady's in the process. Unphased by this, he sits back down on his quality tiger-skin rug and engages in conversation with his favourite underling who pops up out of absolutely nowhere.

gundoh7d.jpg

It's after this that it cuts to Musashi & Co as they mull over what to do next. Seemingly undisturbed by the truly woeful background art, the incredibly creepy blond guy with a thing for young boys and monkeys starts to recount the dangers of the legendary pistol Musashi now wields, the very same ones stored in the Gundoh master's arm. He talks of a former general who ended up turning on his fellow men in such shocking detail that it simply needs to be seen to be believed:

i1PiEi0jOpEuF.gif

iCuohchXEEtx6.gif

ibkiBs3Ju23UkW.gif

Shocking stuff really.

gundoh7e.jpg

It's after this brutal portrayal that everyone's favourite filthy gaijin returns with the greatest disguise to ever grace the world; man-jaw. Musashi, worried about her getting in the way decides to trick the stalking Yuushota into stopping her, he does of course by playing various party tricks until he gets a gun pulled on him. It's after this he hides using what can only be described as the single greatest stealth move a ninja has ever pulled.

gundoh7f.jpg

It's not long after this that a gvunshot echo's throughout the forrest of photoshopped trees alerting Musashi & Co to leg it onto the next city which of course is followed by a cut to the various shopping stall's gracing us with all their glory.

gundoh7g.jpg

Is it truly any wonder why the princess would run away from such a beautiful place. I really just don't get her at all. Oh well, it's best I follow her onto the next episode!

imO8nGKJpiLXp.gif

JCG

Wow. That kinda sucks. That was a pretty major moment in the manga. Why did they remove it?

Personally speaking, I never thought that moment was too important in the manga. It's mostly good for coolness points.

My guess would be that they realized having
their ugly green CG model of human Zodd from the first movie suddenly throwing a sword to Guts for no apparent reason
in that scene would just look plain bad without putting in more time and resources than it's worth. Or maybe they just wanted to remove all traces of fantasy from the second film, for whatever reason.

duckroll

Personally speaking I never thought that moment was too important in the manga. It's mostly good for coolness points.

My guess would be that they realized having
their ugly green CG model of human Zodd from the first movie suddenly throwing a sword to Guts for no apparent reason
in that scene would just look plain bad without putting in more time and resources than it's worth. Or maybe they just wanted to make the second film feel less fantasy-inclined, for whatever reason.

I feel that it was an important scene for the same reason Grzi mentioned.
It wasn't so much about story importance, rather than the tone it set. In the middle of a big battle between armies, it reminded everyone that the world in Berserk is not the normal world, but one where monsters and gods exist.

wonzo

Banned
Some strange thoughts about how they edit blu-rays for animation/anime.

I recently picked up both of the Platinum collections for the looney toons shorts - they had everything right but the aspet ratio (it was 4:3 safe for some stupid reason even though the shorts were done in 2K from the early 1940's onwards). This is the same problem the trekkies found out with Star Trek (TOS and TNG) - its 4:3 safe but the film was the same used on I Love Lucy (which can go widescreen in TOS case) and a fuckon of mid 1980's TV series (in TNG's) case.

I mean i loved the blu-ray but this a problem with a lot of animation/anime and some of the pre 1953 movies. I mean its a wonderful life has been poked, prodded, and still is in 4:3 for no good reason. Even CBS stated when they were making the TOS blu-rays that they did had extra info on the negivtives but it would show "too much of the set" which is bullshit ballfaced lie. Im just disspointed Jerry Beck and his squad spend so much work on this and they cant downconvert a 2K image to widescreen like they can do on a majority of the films... Anime has a bit of an excuse - but even when they have the original cells they cant even get it widescreen. I want to call it lazyness or lack of good video production but Sony Took 4 YEARS for Arabia and it came out perfect. Why not the same care if not the same time for these series?
It makes perfect sense to use the OAR of any production but the widescreen re-compositions should be included as an extra like the Japanese Future Boy Conan BD set.

See wonzo, that's so much better when you don't just embed your entire dropbox folder for that episode! :lol
True, I've learn't a very valuable lesson in articulating this show's terribleness to the masses. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bitchin' evil gun that I've gotta put in some dudes arm. I hope it doesn't corrupt him like everyone else who's ever come into contact with it.

ilhJKP6ROnGkn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom