• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who max out brightness in every game they play

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
134457518766.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've never heard of anyone who still does this, but it was something we had to do back in the day when a little sunlight could make your TV screen impossible to see.

I've never heard of anyone who still does this, but it was something we had to do back in the day when a little sunlight could make your TV screen impossible to see.
That's still the case for me with my Panasonic plasma TV. I generally have to increase the brightness a few steps if I want to play during daytime in summer.

Do people do this?

The glare on my LCD during the day makes it really difficult to make out details, so I crank it a little bit. Once the sun sets I set it back to normal.

I do it (maybe not maxed, but pretty high) because otherwise many games are too dark, specifically when playing during daytime.
And my tv sucks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That's still the case for me with my Panasonic plasma TV. I generally have to increase the brightness a few steps if I want to play during daytime in summer.

The trick is to get some really thick, dark curtains to block out all light. Sunny days are the worst.

jaypah

Man, I rebought Burnout Revenge on GoD and some of the tracks are stupid dark in some spots. Still didn't adjust the brightness though. #Yolo

1-D_FTW

No idea. It's why I always scratch my head at the 3D haters who complain about "dark screens". I don't even have a 3D Vision 2 monitor, but in 3D mode the thing goes into torch mode and I've never had to adjust the in-game brightness for any game that has a utility. I guess some people just are used to everything glowing.

Durante

If stuff is too dark, you should adjust your display device not your game. In-game "brightness" settings are usually actually gamma settings, and will ruin your IQ.

Ultima_5

i don't go all out, but mine's pretty bright because my tv is near a window. It's nice having a well lite room. Especially in the wintertime when i don't get out much.

yovalord.png

Anteater

Some people does this when the game is too dark, even when it's suppose to, like survival horror. I've seen people who does previews and such do this for games that purposely limit your vision at night.

The trick is to get some really thick, dark curtains to block out all light. Sunny days are the worst.
I actually have such curtains, but it's usually easier to just turn up the brightness. For movies I'm willing to put more effort in so I can get better image quality.

Wii Tank

Excellent.

I used to game on a super old HDTV. Like so old it didn't even have HDMI ports. Over the years it gradually got darker and darker to the point that all of my games had to be on max brightness just to look playable. So I guess I was one of those guys. Also I find in some horror games they love to put the brightness so low that the game becomes frustrating. I get that horror games need darkness for mood and all that but back when I used to play those games at the recommended brightness I would miss key items because I just couldn't see them.

Aside from that though I never turn up the brightness because it usually makes the colors look worse

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I always crank it up a bit. Games are typically too dark. RE6 would be unplayable for me if I didn't adjust it.

If stuff is too dark, you should adjust your display device not your game. In-game "brightness" settings are usually actually gamma settings, and will ruin your IQ.

Hmmm, really? So I should turn the brightness on my TV up? Is that why some brightness sliders do nothing?

Let me tell you why, sonny! You whippersnappers don't know about the good ol days.

You see, in the 1990s games, first person shooters specifically, used to have very little in the way of lighting. So a game like quake would have some lighting effects but it was mostly done with texture work. So if you were playing online you had to jack the brightness to the max to see in dark hallways and whatnot. If you didn't do that you would get murdered.

I'm assuming that people still do it out of habit. I know I always kick it up a few notches even though it doesn't have the same effect anymore.

I tend to turn the brightness down in most games. It seems like, by default, most games seem to have a washed-out look with default settings. It really benefits games like Fallout Vegas and Metro 2033. Far Cry 3 is another one.

Anteater

I still don't get the ingame slider in most games. "Adjust so that you could barely see the logo on the left".

but I see the logo even at 0 brightness.

brumx

Alot of newer Xbox360 look weird they still have a long ways to go IMO. I kinda prefer the older gen games on DC and PS2 they where colorful and bright.

One of my friends used to turn on the brightness in The Suffering to the highest levels so he wouldn't get scared. It was funny.

In multiplayer games I'll usually set the brightness levels a few notches higher than required. It helps to spot enemies in darker spaces.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I like to see where I'm going? But I still adhere to the brightness test before games start if there is one. If that doesn't work well, I crank it.

Foshy

I still don't get the ingame slider in most games. "Adjust so that you could barely see the logo on the left".

This varies from TV to TV. Usually, I have to set the slider to 3/4 of max brightness to see the logos.

Damn, I was wondering why when you're asked to set up the brightness, I always have to crank it up in game to see the logo. I didn't realize I was better off just brightening the TV, although it seems kinda obvious now.

Thanks for the tip!

Neiteio

I always crank it up a bit. Games are typically too dark. RE6 would be unplayable for me if I didn't adjust it.
I really love RE6, and usually hate dialing up brightness, but yeah, that game practically requires it. I suppose if you had a very particular set you could play it at default brightness. Doesn't help that their brightness check is set against a bright background instead of the usual "recede into shadows," lol.

hmm.. Definitely don't experience this. When those screens first load, I never see them and usually have to adjust up to 'barely' see them.

Acrylic7

In Killzone 2 multiplayer I have to turn the brightness up.

I just recently found out that I had my tv on custom setting for years. I tried KZ2 online with my TV's standard settings on. Darkest shit ever.

Starting to think that's why I was kicking everyone's ass.

Top Bottom