• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2012 (Dec 24 - Dec 30)

BadWolf

Guess Sony was smart in not playing their price drop card for the PS3 yet, it will be the last one they will do for quite a while after all. The PS3 sales held up regardless.

WiiU should be interesting to observe. It already has Mario and MH so its not like those two will be saving it like they did the 3DS and I doubt Nintendo will do the price drop thing again (I foresee a TON of backlash for doing it twice in a row with two systems). Nintendo can fall back on their old franchises only for so long, Mario is already feeling very overused imo. They should really consider introducing new IPs soon.

If the current performance of MH3G HD and the past performance of MHP3 HD didn't already indicate, "Wii U has MonHan!" Is not a plus for the system.

Edit: although that was kinda your point heheh

Yamauchi

Banned
Not that bad, honestly. Of course I'm probably older than most users here and remember the true failure of the N64's 5.5 million units in Japan.

Wii U in terms of: After 4 weeks, Wii U is where GCN was after 14.1 weeks (December 16, 2001), where Wii was after 3.3 weeks (December 19, 2006), where 3DS was after 2.6 weeks (March 10, 2011), where PS3 was after 13.1 weeks (February 5, 2007), and where PSV was after 16.8 weeks (April 7, 2012).
PSV

saichi

Told you it would go under 100k, I was just a week off...forgot it was Christmas last week. 76k is lower than I expected, I was thinking just barely under 100k, like 90k.

This is hilarious. It's proven again and again that you have no idea how Japanese market performs.

Alrus

Drops for almost everything as expected.

Wii U has nothing of note announced, I don't see it maintaining decent in the coming weeks...

Nice start for Fantasy Life, nice to see Level 5 see some small successes after almost all their games bombed in 2012... IE Go 2 doing a bit better than the first one is nice too, I expected it to do even worse. Should end up around 500k now.

There's good sarcasm and bad sarcasm. The above is horrendous sarcasm.

It's true though.

vareon

Sooo what about Fantasy Life? I guess this is the title that needs legs more than everything. If it's good, hopefully it'll get a lot of good word of mouth.

Man, I'm eating crow on Inazuma Eleven. I expected this franchise to be in the grave, and instead we're seeing signs of a rebound. If I was a fan of that franchise I would tell Level-5 to fuck off with three separate releases within a few weeks though.

Doesn't look like a rebound to me? The new Wii game tanked, the 3DS collection of 1-3 sold about as much as one could expect (which is not a whole lot) and Go 2...I mean it's doing fine, but only because we're expecting much less from this franchise these days.

Fantasy Life on the other hand looks pretty promising.

Doesn't look like a rebound to me? The new Wii game tanked, the 3DS collection of 1-3 sold about as much as one could expect (which is not a whole lot) and Go 2...I mean it's doing fine, but only because we're expecting much less from this franchise these days.

Fantasy Life on the other hand looks pretty promising.
I think any improvement for Go 2 is encouraging given how PLVAA and LBXW declined.

Laguna

Banned
Famitsu Sales: Week 53, 2012 (Dec 24 - Dec 30)
02. / 00. [3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5) {2012-12-27} - 134,008 / NEW

"To duckroll's defense, maybe it shipped like 60K copies."
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45832578&postcount=871
To duckroll's defense, maybe it shipped like 60K copies.

Decent start for a new IP but I think they won´t be quite happy if it doesn´t show any legs. It will be interesting to see what it did the following week.

Hero

3DS continues beast mode. Wii U needs some fucking software and some announcements of upcoming software. The absolute silence or lack of anything being released in the next few months is ridiculous.

Told you it would go under 100k, I was just a week off...forgot it was Christmas last week. 76k is lower than I expected, I was thinking just barely under 100k, like 90k.

Dude, the only person in this thread that believes the shit you ever say in the Japanese numbers thread is you. You have constantly and consistently made stupid, baseless predictions without knowing anything of the Japanese market and just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. You finally get one random result in correctly and say "Told you so." Even a fucking broken clock is right at least two times a day. Doesn't mean you know anything.

Nice job, Level-5.
To all people that criticized Hino and its management, well, these results speaks for itself. Even though the company is not completely ok, Fantasy Life is showing that it can still create a successful new IP, and Inazuma Eleven Go 2 is showing that its series doesn't necessarily decrease. Level-5 is going to stay on Nintendo platform more than ever.

I think any improvement for Go 2 is encouraging given how PLVAA and LBXW declined.

It's not a huge improvement so far. Go 2 is at 314,390 after three weeks whereas Go 1 sold 278,807 copies in the same time. Looks a bit more frontloaded now, but it's still a far cry from what these games used to do.
I'll agree that not showing any sign of further decline is an achievement for Level 5, though.

Spiegel

I seem to remember that the argument last year was that the drop in sales wasn't bad and the numbers for IE GO were good because the 3DS didn't have a big userbase.

Doing comparable numbers to the 2nd release of IE3 again doesn't seem good. But I'm all for anual sequels and bloated companies declining.

farnham

Banned
Nice job, Level-5.
To all people that criticized Hino and its management, well, these results speaks for itself. Even though the company is not completely ok, Fantasy Life is showing that it can still create a successful new IP, and Inazuma Eleven Go 2 is showing that its series doesn't necessarily decrease. Level-5 is going to stay on Nintendo platform more than ever.

Nintendo handhelds you mean. I dont think they will do much on wiiu.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I seem to remember that the argument last year was that the drop in sales wasn't bad and the numbers for IE GO were good because the 3DS didn't have a big userbase.

Doing comparable numbers to the 2nd release of IE3 again doesn't seem good. But I'm all for anual sequels and bloated companies declining.

IE hypetime is over, sales are good considering the popularity decline of the IP. They will sell around 500K, which is as much as Triple A title sell on consoles - i doubt they have higher expectations for the GO series. Time to adapt, next Pokemon game will also be a bomba compared to sales of the first generation on Gameboy.

Or did you really expect IE series to sell at least a million with annual releases till 2020 ? I doubt that...

Spiegel

IE hypetime is over, sales are good considering the popularity decline of the IP. They will sell around 500K, which is as much as Triple A title sell on consoles - i doubt they have higher expectations for the GO series. Time to adapt, next Pokemon game will also be a bomba compared to sales of the first generation on Gameboy.

Or did you really expect IE series to sell at least a million with annual releases till 2020 ? I doubt that...

No, just like market changes made Musou games to drop.

It was a jab at the 'userbase' argument that many people liked to use around this time last year.

Alrus

Well of course it's not great compared to IE2/3 but overall a game selling 500k copies is considered pretty good usually... Having a series that's selling those kind of number yearly is nothing to scoff at.

And I thought the argument for IE Go's massive drop compared to 3 was that (aside from general franchise fatigue) the public didn't really care about the new protagonist and story.

I'm not surprised to see NSMBU and Nintendo Land with some of the smallest drops this week. Even though there isn't much new software coming for Wii U, I think these two titles can sell hardware through word of mouth.

ksamedi

Yeah and I don't think Pikmin is a system mover anywhere but Japan right?
Wario and Wii fit U will mosr likely do good numbers. I really have no idea what to think of Pikmin. Maybe Nintendo's new found popularity in Japan will boost sales beyond the Gamecube games. Wonderfull 101 will probably bomb.

Nekki

Well, 3DS just won't stop, that's for sure. I'm surprised though we don't see more game announcements, the way it's selling (both hw and sw) nowadays. Weird.

Wii U is doing alright, not good nor great. The big problem is the future, and software releases. We'll see what happens from now on.

Fantasy Life and IE are doing quite well, looks like L-5 can rest for a bit. But they still make lots of bad business decisions, i think they should take some time out lol.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
good news for fantasy life.
about wiiu, once again:

Wii U in terms of: After 4 weeks, Wii U is where GCN was after 14.1 weeks (December 16, 2001), where Wii was after 3.3 weeks (December 19, 2006), where 3DS was after 2.6 weeks (March 10, 2011), where PS3 was after 13.1 weeks (February 5, 2007), and where PSV was after 16.8 weeks (April 7, 2012).

so, I agree that it's not a system able to sell crazy like the DS and the Wii back in the days, neither as good as the 3DS after the price cut (and in the short term, neither pre-cut as we can see), but calling the "desperate mode" and the "price cut" and so on now after these numbers for the Japanese market is too much, imho.

On Gaf everything seems to be just black or white (not talking about pokemon here :p )

those are average + numbers for the system, that obviously will need constant software to keep average + numbers. so, the next months will be tough because of the (actual) lack of games announced. but the actual numbers are not negative and it's clear that the system can sell with the right games (such as Mario of course, but also Land - so maybe also Wario and Fit will do something, or an HD port of MH. Maybe also the HD port of DQ could do something).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, 3DS just won't stop, that's for sure. I'm surprised though we don't see more game announcements, the way it's selling (both hw and sw) nowadays. Weird.

Wii U is doing alright, not good nor great. The big problem is the future, and software releases. We'll see what happens from now on.

Fantasy Life and IE are doing quite well, looks like L-5 can rest for a bit. But they still make lots of bad business decisions, i think they should take some time out lol.

We'll probably start seeing many new 3DS announcements in the next future. I mean, it's inevitable at this point: the console is selling godly amounts in Japan, and third party titles are selling great too.

RM8

I like NSMB2 but it's sad seeing it outsell 3D Land in the close future. And that's amazing for Fantasy Life, especially when Animal Crossing is right there owning Japan at the moment.

Fantasy Life is doind really well, it just might become a series!

We'll probably start seeing many new 3DS announcements in the next future. I mean, it's inevitable at this point: the console is selling godly amounts in Japan, and third party titles are selling great too.
Square-Enix is done fucking playing around, the only thing they can think about is DQ DQ DQ DQ DQ. And I bet BD2 is in development, taking more resources away from FFV and FFTA3!

Top Bottom