• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2012 (Dec 24 - Dec 30)

extralite

Yeah, but a lot of people would die, you can't wish something like that.

FFV should be the next FF remake. I would want the art direction to be less chibi and more like FFT0. *waiting*

Yes, I'm not saying they should skip V, just that I personally would play VI again. And VII too, so they shouldn't stop at VI, if the remakes come at all.

And I don't think I'm the first to comment that a small scale remake of VII on a hardware like the 3DS would be a more realistic option anyway.

More realistically proportioned characters for V and following would be interesting to see also. I'd be fine with either.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I at least hope Nintendo is taking the seemingly failed launch of the Wii U to heart. There are so many things that they could have done better to support this launch. I'm not even saying anything about "Panic-Mode Nintendo." Rather, I want "good-business-sense Nintendo" that realizes how to market its products and plans accordingly.

The worst part is that I genuinely have loved my time with the Wii U, but because of how Nintendo has handled the past year with regards to this system it's looking like I will never get to play the wide selection of games that I want. Was hoping that I'd be able to use off-screen play for pretty much every major third-party release form here on out.

Phew good to be back. Holy crap at the 3DS trinity releasing next year. Wii U...well at least the 3DS will be doing fine for them.

BriBri

Phew good to be back. Holy crap at the 3DS trinity releasing next year. Wii U...well at least the 3DS will be doing fine for them.
Welcome back. And the new trinity! And to think there's probably a Zelda release and a Smash Bros. announcement/footage to hit this year too!

Drago

Sort of off topic but I'm really excited to see how the 3DS is going to perform in the West next year. Hopefully NOA and NOE will be smart enough to have 3DS XL Pokemon bundles both at release and for BF/Christmas, and combined with the Mario backlog, Animal Crossing, etc... (if NOA chooses to advertise that, marketing was terrible this year)

If that isn't going to help the 3DS sell well in the West, then nothing will. I expect that it's going to destroy everything next holiday, but you never know. 3DS really needs the boost.

Majmun

Pokemon X&Y are going to be released in october this year. That's 10 months away.

Nintendo should do the same with the WiiU and announce a few big U games for fall/winter 2013. People will get hyped over it. See the Pokemon announcement. People are talking about those games everywhere.
Don't know why they're so quiet regarding the U.

BriBri

Sort of off topic but I'm really excited to see how the 3DS is going to perform in the West next year. Hopefully NOA and NOE will be smart enough to have 3DS XL Pokemon bundles both at release and for BF/Christmas, and combined with the Mario backlog, Animal Crossing, etc... (if NOA chooses to advertise that, marketing was terrible this year)

If that isn't going to help the 3DS sell well in the West, then nothing will. I expect that it's going to destroy everything next holiday, but you never know. 3DS really needs the boost.
Equally off topic, but I wonder how much Pokémon X & Y and later Smash Bros. being on both systems will affect Wii U (actually in Japan too so still on topic!)?

Kacho

Gold Member

I was quite surprised that NSMB2 and Layton didn't drive sales more in the West. Sure they're helping, but there hasn't been that one title that really sets the charts on fire. Maybe New Leaf or X/Y will be the kick in the butt the 3DS needs.

Pokemon X&Y are going to be released in october this year. That's 10 months away.

Nintendo should do the same with the WiiU and announce a few big U games for fall/winter 2013. People will get hyped over it. See the Pokemon announcement. People are talking about those games everywhere.
Don't know why they're so quiet regarding the U.

It honestly makes zero sense the strategy they are taking with Wii U right now which honestly scares me into thinking that Nintendo is having some problems with their development teams right now and actually getting games out the door.
Maybe New Leaf or X/Y will be the kick in the butt the 3DS needs.

If Pokemon doesn't work its magic, Nintendo will just have to accept the current level of sales in the west which aren't god awful or anything, but less than what they expect from their handheld business.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I was quite surprised that NSMB2 and Layton didn't drive sales more in the West. Sure they're helping, but there hasn't been that one title that really sets the charts on fire. Maybe New Leaf or X/Y will be the kick in the butt the 3DS needs.

Maybe Layton is helping more than what charts show due to that Club Nintendo promotion in Europe.

And yeah, I hope NoA don't forget to do a Pokémon X/Y bundle with 3DS for BF13...

So, I was in Osaka yesterday and I have a couple of store photos/impressions to share, but I will do it once I get home from work.

In the mean time, what other titles are confirmed for 3DS in Japan for this year?

1. Dragon Quest XII (remake)
2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
3. Pokemon X & Y
4. Monster Hunter 4
5. Youkai Watch
6. Kaiou: King of Pirates
7. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
8. Friend Collection
9. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate
10. Ace Attorney 5
11. Professor Layton 6
12. Daigassa Brothers & The Band

BlackJace

It honestly makes zero sense the strategy they are taking with Wii U right now which honestly scares me into thinking that Nintendo is having some problems with their development teams right now and actually getting games out the door.

It's this insane cultural thing I think. As if remaining silent makes them more mysterious, as well as inspiring gamers to believe in a future deluge of games.

Iwata: "Oh man, just wait until we announce all of these Wii U games, it'll be great!"

Gamer, right about now (me included): "Lol wtf Nintendo has no fucking games for this thing"

It's such a stupid thing for them to be doing, announcements generate hype, of which the Wii U is about completely devoid of.

BriBri

So, I was in Osaka yesterday and I have a couple of store photos/impressions to share, but I will do it once I get home from work.

In the mean time, what other titles are confirmed for 3DS in Japan for this year?

1. Dragon Quest XII (remake)
2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
3. Pokemon X & Y
4. Monster Hunter 4
5. Youkai Watch
6. Kaiou: King of Pirates
7. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
8. Friend Collection
9. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate
10. Ace Attorney 5
11. Professor Layton 6
12. Daigassa Brothers & The Band
Gyrozetter, Dragon Ball Heroes, Super Robot Taisen UX, Doraemon, Guild02...

Oersted

Btw:
Regarding Wii U. The very first thing they should have done was saying "This is the successor of Wii". Plain simple, nothing further, just repeating it again and again. Not "look, different gameplay. Yeah we only got this kinda demo for it, called Nintendoland, but just imagine the possibilities."

Welcome back metalslimer :)

But which timezones do you guys live in? All this next year talking...

test_account

XP-39C²
It's this insane cultural thing I think. As if remaining silent makes them more mysterious, as well as inspiring gamers to believe in a future deluge of games.

Iwata: "Oh man, just wait until we announce all of these Wii U games, it'll be great!"

Gamer, right about now (me included): "Lol wtf Nintendo has no fucking games for this thing"

It's such a stupid thing for them to be doing, announcements generate hype, of which the Wii U is about completely devoid of.
I think it is more that they dont have too much to show right now. Nintendo did afterall announce/confirm games likes Pikmin 3, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 a long time before they get released, so i dont think this is a problem for Nintendo. On the other hand they didnt announce NintendoLand before 5-6 months before it's release. I think Nintendo are working on some games that they dont feel are ready enough to be shown just yet.

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

BlackJace

I think it is more that they dont have too much to show right now. Nintendo did afterall announce/confirm games likes Pikmin 3, Smash Bros, Baynoetta 2 and Wonderful 101 a long time before they get released, so i dont think this is a problem for Nintendo. On the other hand they didnt announce NintendoLand beofre 5-6 months before it's release. I think Nintendo are working on some games that they dont feel are ready enough to be shown just yet.

Possibly. It's just starting to look really bad, if not embarrassing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Possibly. It's just starting to look really bad, if not embarrassing.
Yeah, the upcoming drought is a bit weird, especially since Iwata said that they learned from the 3DS (or was that just about not launching with a killer app?). It could be what metalslimer said, that there are some developement problems, maybe these games were suppose to be released in the upcoming months, but then got delayed.

Btw:
Regarding Wii U. The very first thing they should have done was saying "This is the successor of Wii". Plain simple, nothing further, just repeating it again and again. Not "look, different gameplay. Yeah we only got this kinda demo for it, called Nintendoland, but just imagine the possibilities."

Welcome back metalslimer :)

But which timezones do you guys live in? All this next year talking...

lol, still hasn't hit me yet

This would be more believable if every other company in japan didn't behave the opposite. Obviously the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart, etc. are well under way so they definitely have more to show. This might all be premature and Nintendo might be waiting for investor meetings, etc. to talk about this stuff. if they go through January without announcing anything more I think that will be a serious sign that something is wrong. Then they you have Nintendo Europe whose desperately trying to believe the Wii U has a strong Q1.

donny2112

How far do you think they would go for the next price drop? $125 for 3DS and $150 for the XL?

Too much. The $80 drop was historic for a base $250 price. They're not dropping ~$50 on each next time. Maybe down to $150/$180. That'll do something, but it still needs to be lower. They just can't really get lower, right now, without bleeding too much.

urfe

Iwata is merely saying that fans have begun to expect that there will be a Nintendo Direct at the end of every even-numbered month. He wants fans to realize that there won't definitely be a Direct at the end of every even-numbered month due to various circumstances such as preparation of materials and timing for announcements. However, in the next (and final) Tweet he says they want to make this another exciting year in regards to "what's next" for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U by "directly" announcing things to fans through Nintendo Direct.

Thank-you.

Handed in my Master's Thesis yesterday. Fatigued doesn't begin to explain how I was feeling.

Will make sure I'm sure of my translations before I post them.

Fredrik

Yeah, the upcoming drought is a bit weird, especially since Iwata said that they learned from the 3DS (or was that just about not launching with a killer app?). It could be what metalslimer said, that there are some developement problems, maybe these games were suppose to be released in the upcoming months, but then got delayed.
They could just show some logos and people would feel much better. Showing nothing at all and no talk either is a bad move right now, they need to build some hype, show some teaser ads, anything, and before E3 and the next gen hype will silence just about everything they do. They need to get people to know the future as a WiiU owner is going to be just as good, if not better, as if you own any of the other consoles. They can't expect to sell this thing on word of mouth and launch software alone.

zroid

Banned
Top Publishers
(publisher - total sales - # of games)

01. Nintendo - 10,662,644 - 59
02. Namco Bandai Games - 8,338,396 - 121
03. Capcom - 4,797,625 - 64
04. Square Enix - 4,742,340 - 66
05. Konami - 3,461,120 - 73
06. SEGA - 2,195,911 - 44
07. Koei-Tecmo - 2,098,152 - 35
08. Level 5 - 2,014,590 - 16
09. SCEI - 1,609,407 - 46
10. Nintendo/Pokemon Co. - 1,217,783 - 10
11. Atlus Co. - 696,806 - 14
12. Spike - 654,222 - 19
13. Electronic Arts Victor - 564,253 - 32
14. Hudson - 499,050 - 19
15. Kadokawa Shoten - 459,362 - 15

Combined, Nintendo and TPC smash everything else by selling an average of 172k units per game released. Level-5 is the next best with 126k.

Rarity

Quite pleased to see Style Savvy still on the charts, even if it won't reach the lofty heights of its predecessor.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Using the PS3 launch numbers isnt really a good bar for success though.

What do you mean regarding the Vita discussion? There has been talk for nearly one year consistently about how bad it is selling.

I agree that PS3 debut was not good, but Wii U one is way better. I'm just talking about the debut, and I'm sure it will have big troubles in the next couple of months, remind.
It's simply that it debuted well: better than a lot of other previous systems, slighlty under the GREAT debut (at least for a home console) of the Wii (that was a great success in its first three years on the market in Japan), but people are already calling for the desperate mode and for the price cut.

While a lot of people still claims that Vita is doing bad but there's no need to panic because it will be ok simply with price cut and multiplatform PS3 ports.

Of course, and please note this, it's not that all Gaf is claiming both statements.

METROID Other M - 4,708 / 75,578

Poor Sakaguchi, and now that Animal Crossing is back on track, people will pay dust to Tomodachi Collection.

Well, it's in line with other Metroid releases in Japan, nothing so awful for the franchise over there...but I agree about TC.

The brand new Professor Layton is coming out on February 28th. 5,500 Yen

Could we hope to have our annual PAL release in autumn then? :D

hatchx

Banned

Well they have to make an announcement soonish to let us know when the Q1 releases are even coming out. Monster Hunter 3, Lego City Stories, Game and Wario, Wii Fit U, and Rayman Legends is a pretty strong Q1 for NA if they all end up making it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so it seems that for Famitsu last week (the next one that will be counted tomorrow) 3DS sold 305.690 pieces

I quote myself to say: in a couple of hours we should see the aformentioned sales for Famitsu about 3DS. A good increase from the previous week (266,790).
Should we expect all console to increase as the 3DS did for Famitsu, or was it a new availability of Animal Crossing to lead that console?
Will this be the first real Wii U struggling week, or there could still be a holiday final spin helping it to hold decently?

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree that PS3 debut was not good, but Wii U one is way better. I'm just talking about the debut, and I'm sure it will have big troubles in the next couple of months, remind.
It's simply that it debuted well: better than a lot of other previous systems, slighlty under the GREAT debut (at least for a home console) of the Wii (that was a great success in its first three years on the market in Japan), but people are already calling for the desperate mode and for the price cut.

While a lot of people still claims that Vita is doing bad but there's no need to panic because it will be ok simply with price cut and multiplatform PS3 ports.

Of course, and please note this, it's not that all Gaf is claiming both statements.
Sure, i just ment that saying that the WiiU is doing better than the PS3 launch doesnt necessarily mean too much in the long run. The WiiU launch itself was pretty good indeed, but much of the discussions have been more about the near future sales. I think is what people are referring to when they say "pricedrop!" etc.

I agree about Vita, but it was claimed earlier that the only discussions were about that the WiiU is doing bad and the it is too early to say the outcome for the Vita. Maybe there have been a few of those discussions lately, but there have been many discussion the other way around as well, that the WiiU would dominate in Japan and that there is no hope for the Vita. I just wanted to point that out in my reply earlier.

They could just show some logos and people would feel much better. Showing nothing at all and no talk either is a bad move right now, they need to build some hype, show some teaser ads, anything, and before E3 and the next gen hype will silence just about everything they do. They need to get people to know the future as a WiiU owner is going to be just as good, if not better, as if you own any of the other consoles. They can't expect to sell this thing on word of mouth and launch software alone.
Well they have to make an announcement soonish to let us know when the Q1 releases are even coming out. Monster Hunter 3, Lego City Stories, Game and Wario, Wii Fit U, and Rayman Legends is a pretty strong Q1 for NA if they all end up making it.
I think maybe the problem is that it is too early to show even a logo of something, especially if there is something new. For example, Nintendo did actually show off a small part of NintendoLand already in 2011 (that Mario Chase game), but it was shown as a tech demo at the time, so it was no problem showing it early then. Will people be excited if they only show a logo of for example WiiU Party? But i agree that they should announce some upcoming games soon.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If there is a Yoshis Land Wii U, I'dbe super excited just for the logo and it would be my number one most wanted just from that ;).

Nintendo really needs a big core game for Q1. New Yoshi's Island would do wonders. They really need to get out a big game every quarter if they're gonna go with the low power but gimmick controls strategy. They're not gonna sway third parties unless they have that big userbase. Downports with PS4/Durango is much more realistic than last gen with the Wii, its the best they can hope for in terms of third party support. If third parties get to a level where the existance of a Wii U port is justifiable financially, then there is no need to be actively seeking their support any longer, they will just go with the flow and come automatically.

So theoretically half an hour or so to go?
10 more minutes if.

Celine

I quote myself to say: in a couple of hours we should see the aformentioned sales for Famitsu about 3DS. A good increase from the previous week (266,790).
Should we expect all console to increase as the 3DS did for Famitsu, or was it a new availability of Animal Crossing to lead that console?
Will this be the first real Wii U struggling week, or there could still be a holiday final spin helping it to hold decently?
Since the period covered include the new year money gift there is a chance of an increase over the last week.

Not sure what expect from WiiU...
I guess it will hold or moderately increase.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
70k for Wii U, now this is really bad. Is Media Creat really dead?
EDIT: And Vita @30k, that's mighty impressive.

Celine

Famitsu: famitsu.com/news/201301/09027047.html

Media-Create: bankrupt.
lol

3DS:305,690台
Wii U:70,662台
PS3:64,834台
PSP:53,154台
Vita:31,082台
Wii:5,414台
Xbox 360:1,266台

urfe

I've been saying people are calling the WiiU in trouble too early.

No longer too early. Go ahead.

Nice sales for NSMBU though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nintendo really needs a big core game for Q1.

I thknk that it's almost sure that they could at maximum gave release dates for already announced games, for Q1 at this point.
We already entered the Q1, in fact.
So, they could just say when Game&Wario and FitU will hit the market, considering how both Pikmin and DQX (not Nintendo, but the only other title with a minimum of sales potantial up to now) are set for Spring (so, Q2)

Top Bottom