• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

I judge anyone who stans 22.

That song is sorority fodder at its most BASIC. When Taylor Swift starts copying Hot Chelle Rae of all acts...ch...

22 is actually kind of grating, but I'm almost 22 so I can identify with it (although the lyrics are silly and cheesy). It's still catchy though.

The Holy Trinity of Red remains unbothered though. Red, State of Grace, and Holy Ground are some of her best. Stay x3 is my other favorite. I don't really use any of the others.

moulels

Paris Hilton's Stars Are Blind has more lyrical weight than anything in boRED tbh

tumblr_m3kqgkSzSP1qe2rrbo1_250.gif

royalan

To this day NOTHING compares to the utter shock I experienced when I was slayed by Stars Are Blind for the first time. I don't think ANYBODY was expecting PARIS HILTON'S first single to be good.

Fey

Banned
I was living it with California Gurls and Teenage Dream to the extent that I started feeling hyped for the album.

Oops.

ibxHiqsaXSbnXW.gif

i had the same reaction, i was actually planning to buy the album day 1.

then she released Not Like the Movies and Circle the Drain.

ibi6a6O3fNAE8v.png

Previous Entry: Songs 20-11

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10) PAPARAZZI (The Fame)

lady-gaga-paparazzi-music-video-500x500.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: The poster-child for Gaga’s general commentary on fame and its demons. Not only does it stand with Born This Way as the songs most consistent with Gaga’s purpose, but it’s also a song that I consider to be technically perfect in structure and sound. The Fame is the most uneven of Gaga’s albums, and understandably so, but Paparazzi stands tall as one of her most iconic, brilliant pop moments.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: The sweetly brutal chorus that’s scathingly sharp and absolutely perfect.

9) SPEECHLESS (The Fame Monster)

ladygagaspeechless.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: The most honest song that Gaga’s ever recorded. It has a certain wisdom and charm that’s hard to find in the rest of Gaga’s discography, and it’s the best showcase of Gaga’s ability to wreck a rock ‘n roll ballad like no other in modern pop.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: One of the most stunning verses that Lady Gaga has ever written. So powerful.

8) AMERICANO (Born This Way)

Lady+Gaga+++Americano+Final+Ver.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: If Americano’s production didn’t hold it back as much as it did, this song could have single-handedly elevated Lady Gaga to new artistic heights. To put it simply, Americano is one of the greatest missed opportunities that I’ve ever seen in pop music. The lyrics are powerful and transcendent. The chord progressions are timeless and iconic. If only Gaga stuck with the the goth-mariachi hybrid style that she delivered at the Monster Ball in Mexico, Americano would be number one on this list. But alas, its consolation prize is being one of her best songs, and one of the best pop records of the last five years.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: Instead of choosing one portion of the studio version, I’d rather defer you to the entirety of the avant-garde acoustic epic.

7) MARRY THE NIGHT (Born This Way)

lady-gaga-marry-the-night-cover-1318926013.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: A timeless anthem that, if originally sung by Springsteen or Houston, would be considered a monster classic. Unforgettable from start to finish, Gaga crafted a song that smoothly transitions from tender self-assurance to an epic, white-knuckled thrill ride. This is Gaga’s “Born To Run,” her “Don’t Stop Believing.” Blasting this in your car during a midnight drive on the highway is a thrill that no other pop song has come close to giving me. Ever.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: The song’s epic closer charges full-speed like a seizure set to song. Can you keep up?

6) SCHEIßE (Born This Way)

6080697658_b0b2186375.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: A pop song that only Lady Gaga can make, and a fully-realized entity from beginning to end. There aren’t many things in the world that are quite as fierce as Gaga’s faux-German haikus, and everything just works so energetically well in this song. The chord progressions in the verses and chorus makes us wonder how no one has crafted them before, and the post-chorus hook is an absolute monster. One of the strangest Gaga songs, and thus, one of the most important footnotes in her future legacy.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: A ferocious sledge-hammer of a hook, and the best part is that it’s complete gibberish.

5) POKER FACE (The Fame)

Poker+Face.png

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: Cool, sexy, fresh, and an absolutely glorious introduction to the world of Gaga. Not much more can be said about a song that’s received every possible piece of praise from the mainstream, except the fact that I listened to this song many many months before Just Dance emerged on the scene, and I remember thinking that the singer was a drag queen because of her name. I had no idea who Gaga was at that point (or what gender she was) but I had an overwhelming feeling that the world was going to very soon.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: I haven’t been giving Gaga’s verses much credit in this list, but everything about Poker Face’s first verse is epic. Once again, nobody delivers monotone hooks like our Lady.

4) YOU AND I (Born This Way)

0001418700_500.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: You and I is a perfect song. Whether or not the song resonates with any certain listener is irrelevant to the fact that this is a perfectly written, perfectly sung, perfectly executed record that will stand as one of Gaga’s most important songs in career hindsight. This is the one she will sing at her Lifetime Achievement Award performance (as it stands now) in 40 years, after all the dance songs, outrageous outfits, and controversial moments have come and gone. At the end of the day an artist is valued most for the substantial music they create; the songs that can resonate cohesively with as many varied types of listeners as possible. As far as I know, nothing out of Gaga’s discography is as accessible, friendly, or easy to love as You and I. A future fan favorite.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: The best chorus Lady Gaga has ever written. This will be hard to top.

SONG #3 COMING IN A FEW SHORT MINUTES. CAN YOU GUESS THE TOP 3?

ibi6a6O3fNAE8v.png

3) BAD ROMANCE (The Fame Monster)

Bad+Romance.png

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: Ferocity. A towering cacophony of triumph. A song that perfectly exemplifies how far pop music has come, and paves new alley-ways for where it could go next. Bad Romance is the titanium-plated epic that Poker Face and Judas aimed to be but didn’t quite pull off. Why? Because Bad Romance has the perfect element of unhinged danger and calculated catchy-ness, and while Judas and Poker Face did each respective characteristic supremely well, Bad Romance is just that rare kind of gem that can be anything it wants to be. Its chorus is muddled in sweet tragedy, the verses are threatening and cold. The random “walk walk, fashion baby” bridge is a perfect exemplar of Gaga’s character; a jack of all trades entertainer who will stop at nothing to make you get up and get loose. There’s no telling whether Bad Romance will remain Gaga’s magnum opus for much longer, especially on the heels of a new album that’s never sounded more thirsty for blood. What we can agree on, at least, is that there has never been another song that single-handedly created an icon at the end of its 4 minute, 54 second run.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: A delicious hook that finally unseats Michael’s iconic “ma ma se, ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa.”

Let me have it.

ibi6a6O3fNAE8v.png

2) BLOODY MARY (Born This Way)

lady+gaga+bloody+mary+17.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: An incredible masterpiece from start to finish; a jaded amalgam of torment, thrill and despair. Complex, spooky, tender, and untouchable. Bloody Mary is worth more even Gaga lets on, from its ground-breaking and epic production to the wrenching hair-raising vocals that tease and inspire the listener. This is one of the best modern pop epics. The genius is in its calculated melancholy, but it’s also in its transitions from demure spook to absolutely unhinged vehemence, and back again. The song celebrates Gaga’s artistic resourcefulness more than any other in her discography, from faint allusions to Gothic Medievalism to elegant and foreign-language accents that are there only because they can be. Absolutely nothing is integral in Bloody Mary, but by evaluating it in its entirety it’s impossible to imagine one portion without the rest. Alternating blazing, isolated synths with “GA GA” sung like Gregorian chants? What’s more brilliant than that? A great pop song has the ability to force a listener to not only forgive its strangest and most random moments, but also force the listener to take the strange and the random for granted, and accept it as norm. We’re very lucky to have an auteur in pop music who has the grit, talent and vision to make the strange, random and bizarre completely, implacably normal. And that’s the power of Gaga. This song IS Gaga.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: The run-up from the second verse to the end of the bridge contains the most epic pop moments of all time.

ibi6a6O3fNAE8v.png

1) THE EDGE OF GLORY (Born This Way)

294068092.jpg

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE: The greatest Lady Gaga song. Stefani wrote this in honor of her grandfather who passed, and I actually used this song quite a bit during the last few months of my grandmother’s life. Yes, there will always be a stronger, smarter, and more emotionally relevant song out there to help me during a trying time, but for one reason or another it was The Edge of Glory that hit me deep in my soul at the time of its release, and I’ve lost count of the amount of times I would blast the song in my car after a hospital visit, tears streaming down my face, trying my best to sing along. But The Edge of Glory isn’t a song about lost hope, or wallowing in tragedy. Rather, it’s about celebrating our triumphs, how far we’ve come, and how through all the pain we endure all we really need to do at the end of it all is dance and let it all go. This song holds a special place in my heart for giving me peace during a painful period of my life, and for that I am eternally grateful to Lady Gaga. Yes, there is always a song more preparedly apt for a pre-existing condition, but the most influential songs are those that you don’t expect. I feel so bulletproof when I listen to this song, and the special bond I share with it is something that I hope nobody else understands. It’s mine, and for that it deserves the top spot on this list.

MOST EPIC MOMENT: The Edge of Glory is a song best listened to in full.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTENDED EDITION: HONORABLE MENTIONS (SONGS 25-21)

25) EH, EH (NOTHING ELSE I CAN SAY) [The Fame]
24) LOVEGAME (The Fame)
23) TELEPHONE (The Fame Monster)
22) SO HAPPY I COULD DIE (The Fame Monster)
21) ELECTRIC CHAPEL (Born This Way)

cory64

20. SPEECHLESS
BORN THIS WAY (it's completely shitty but it bops because of its source material)
18. GOVERNMENT HOOKER
17. BEAUTIFUL DIRTY RICH
16. SCHEIßE
15. TEETH
14. SO HAPPY I COULD DIE
13. BOYS BOYS BOYS
12. BLOODY MARY
11. SUMMERBOY
10. ALEJANDRO
09. POKER FACE
08. MARRY THE NIGHT
07. TELEPHONE
06. HEAVY METAL LOVER
05. PAPARAZZI
04. DANCE IN THE DARK
03. THE EDGE OF GLORY
02. BAD ROMANCE
01. MONSTER

Bladenic

20. SPEECHLESS
BORN THIS WAY (it's completely shitty but it bops because of its source material)
18. GOVERNMENT HOOKER
17. BEAUTIFUL DIRTY RICH
16. SCHEIßE
15. TEETH
14. SO HAPPY I COULD DIE
13. BOYS BOYS BOYS
12. BLOODY MARY
11. SUMMERBOY
10. ALEJANDRO
09. POKER FACE
08. MARRY THE NIGHT
07. TELEPHONE