• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: All The Bravest Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Supervised and based on a concept by Tetsuya Nomura, the creative leads from the TWEWY team and multiple Kingdom Hearts portable titles have decided to make an iOS game.

What kind of quality do these people wish to create and associate their names with in 2013? Let's find out!

Reviews:

Pocket Gamer UK: 3/10
Modojo: 1.5/5
IGN: 2.5/10
TouchArcade: 1/5
AppSpy: 1/5

Excerpts:

Pocket Gamer said:
But here's the shard of ice at the heart of the game. You will die, repeatedly, and if you don't want to wait until your characters pop back to life you'll have to use a Golden Hourglass to bring them all back. These cost 69p for three.

Let's take a look at that. You couldn't have done anything differently in the fight, because you don't have any control over what happens. All you could have done is tap in a different order, but that wouldn't have made much difference.

The game is weighted such that in some battles your entire team will be wiped out while you look on in impotent dismay.

It's not like an arcade game, where skill and reflexes will get you through, where there's a chance that you'll succeed and move on to the next level. You are going to die no matter what, and when it happens you can either wait or pay up.
Modojo said:
A lot of negative words came to mind at the beginning of this review, and one particularly strong one that wasn't mentioned is insulting - this is a game packed with a Who's Who of Final Fantasy history, seemingly in order to extract as much money as possible from the most devoted long-term fans of the series, while offering very little in the way of enjoyable gameplay in return.

In 2013, as publishers finally begin to tread the waters of micro-transactions a little more carefully, and with a sensitive eye on the balance between player experience and profitability, *this* is how Square Enix chooses to reward that devotion, commitment and support of a franchise over all of these years. Depressing is a word too.
IGN said:
This is what makes All the Bravest such a bitter pill to swallow. This is a really cool core idea. More than 30 Final Fantasy character classes duking it out side-by-side, all at once, in fast-paced arcade-style turn-based battles? Awesome! All in FF VII’s dirty, grimy Midgar, rendered in stylized pixel-art? Yes, please! But instead we received a grind-heavy experience with no gameplay and an extremely greedy business model.

There is a small amount of stupid nostalgic fun to swiping your screen and seeing 30+ retro characters drawn from the entire Final Fantasy franchise jump into action. But due to its insulting in-game purchases and inexcusably mindless & repetitive gameplay, this is an very disappointing black mark on Square-Enix’s long-running franchise.
TouchArcade said:
I have no problems with games that are little more than fan service. If a developer releases a game that simply gives its loyal fans "more of what it wants," it's typically a win-win situation for most parties involved. Final Fantasy: All The Bravest, while featuring a lot of bits and pieces of nostalgia, is not fan service.

Such games typically give something back to its community in some form or fashion. FF:ATB instead wants to extort from its fan base, which is easily apparent in its lackluster presentation, non-existent "gameplay," and ridiculous IAP scheme. ATB was disappointing enough in the fact that it's not a real RPG, but it's downright appalling when you think about the fact that it's simply a cash-grab. For everyone but the most stalwart FF fans (and I implore even them): this trip down memory lane isn't worth it.
AppSpy said:
Seconds of gameplay, with potentially hours of waiting - this is freemium brought to its horrifying and expensive end point, squandering any potential All The Bravest has.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Meanwhile games like the US version of Type0 and Versus are nowhere to be seen. Make way for shit no one wants.

ff-fugum.jpg

Victrix

*beard*
This is the shitty, hateful version of Dissidia

Go get Duodecim and play that instead if you want some fun fan service with a shitload of content and awesome music

LuuKyK

Whatever, the game is actually pretty cool. And addictive. Not bad for an iOS game to kill time or something. Its not like other games on the appstore are much better...

Meanwhile games like the US version of Type0 and Versus are nowhere to be seen. Make way for shit no one wants.
Plus Bravely Default and Dragon Quest: Pirate Slime.

And they skipped over SaGa 2, SaGa 3 and The Nameless Games last gen, among others.

Square-Enix is a pretty much that stank liquid you find at the bottom of a garbage bin now.

Jinko

Guess they must be desperate to subsidise FFXIV whilst its servers are down :p

This is the kind of shit I expect of Namco not SE.

DJwest

No, the biggest problem in Final Fantasy All The Bravest is that when you die in battle—which will happen often, because battles are totally random and there's no way to heal, buff, target enemies, or do anything except swipe your finger up and down as your characters furiously attack—you have to either wait for your characters to revive (three minutes per character, or up to two hours), exit the battle and try again (pointless, since again, there's no strategy), or pay Square Enix real money to revive your party.
Let me repeat that: in order to make progress in the game you just spent $4 to buy, you have to pay more money to Square Enix.

Taken from a Kotaku article.

Square hates its fans

They know what we want, so they give us what we don't want :(

Edit: Watched the IGN video review. If your characters die, you only got 3 revives or else you have to pay .99 cents of real money to get more revives.

The marketing team behind this game must have been smoking that GOOD

Haunted

Fucking terrible.

On some level, I hope these guys are ashamed of what they've done here. A game made by businessmen, not creators or designers. How far Square-Enix Japan has fallen.

Whatever, the game is actually pretty cool. And addictive. Not bad for an iOS game to kill time or something. Its not like other games on the appstore are much better...
must resist avatar quote

Can't wait for the guy from the other thread to pop in here and try to defend this thing again.

Plus Bravely Default and Dragon Quest: Pirate Slime.

And they skipped over SaGa 2, SaGa 3 and The Nameless Games last gen, among others.

Square-Enix is a pretty much that stank liquid you find at the bottom of a garbage bin now.

Considering people either ignored or pirated most of their portable stuff last gen, it should be unsurprising that they'd embrace low-risk cash grabs like this in full force

Considering people either ignored or pirated most of their portable stuff last gen, it should be unsurprising that they'd embrace low-risk cash grabs like this in full force
But internet told me piracy doesn't hurt game sales, it helps them.

Who do I believe?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Such a pity...

I'm glad I didn't support this. In fact pretty much everything SE do these days I don't support. I happily voted with my wallet. As the old saying goes, AGAINST!

MRORANGE

I bought it and regret it.

I don't mind the monetizing, but the game has no depth at all, Angry Birds is harder than this game.

errrr...well I guess our definition of fun is different.

I love how IGN just starts straight off and tells you not to buy it.

You could go play Puzzle & Dragons instead, which FFATB based its entire business model off of. Except P&D has gameplay more than skin deep and as a result is actually fun to play.

Eusis

Wait, there's actually enough sources reviewing this game to compile a list for? I honestly thought most would just ignore it ever existed outside of editorial fodder, so I will be very fascinated seeing how many are going to completely and utterly eviscerate this "game."

Top Bottom