• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
I am starting to like Nicki, and Super Bass is a great song.

...but lets not pretend she would be where she is now without her random, all over the place, styling that she has become known for.

Nicki isn't a one note artist, though. To say she is only famous for one thing, discredits the other aspects of her fame. Nicki is a talented lyricist, performer, and she is also smart. Sure we can throw in her crazy bits as a gimmick, but almost all artist have some kind of calling card that can be viewed as a gimmick.

You missed the part where Bey's husband did the same thing last year, if its fitting for Gaga than what is to Bey and Rihanna who have depended on Jay-Z

iMJGzJZYpBHNo.gif

I didn't miss it. It just means Gaga is only at Jay Z's level. And that's not bad, he's pretty popular.

Bey on the other hand:

Nicki isn't a one note artist, though. To say she is only famous for one thing, discredits the other aspects of her fame. Nicki is a talented lyricist, performer, and she is also smart. Sure we can throw in her crazy bits as a gimmick, but almost all artist have some kind of calling card that can be viewed as a gimmick.

Oh I am not taking anything away from the rest of it. NO artist is successful only because of their looks/styling.

Still. It is a very integral part to Nicki's success. More-so than any outside of Gaga and perhaps a few others imo. (not that its a bad thing.....pushing the boundaries with style is something I like)

I don't want my faves to be portrayed as trashy divas, or uneducated fools... like Beyonce and Rihanna. I think the fight, if shown in full, will be damaging to one or both of them, and I am not here for it. I need Nicki to capture America's heart, and get some new stans.
Agreed, sis. I will feel grave disappointment if Idol decides to pigeonhole these two successful black women as classless WorldStarHipHop rejects. Even worse than the racial component is the implication that even the most accomplished women just have some inability to cultivate positive, non-caustic relationships with other successful women.

I'm done with the show until Hollywood Week if they keep editing it to make it seem like Mariah's/Nicki's admittedly regrettable antics dominated each and every audition. I bet it was a tiny, tiny fraction.

Agreed, sis. I will feel grave disappointment if Idol decides to pigeonhole these two successful black women as classless WorldStarHipHop rejects. Even worse than the racial component is the implication that even the most accomplished women just have some inability to cultivate positive, non-caustic relationships with other successful women.

I'm done with the show until Hollywood Week if they keep editing it to make it seem like Mariah's/Nicki's admittedly regrettable antics dominated each and every audition. I bet it was a tiny, tiny fraction.

I kind of agree.

Though I never enjoyed auditions. I always jumped in during Hollywood until this year..... (watching them this year so I have something to talk about)

Also...during my absence I finally started to like Glassheart (the song...album is still meh). Played it so much recently

royalan

Haven't listened to it yet...wasn't too impressed by the two songs I heard and I've been waiting for the superior DK member to put out her music.

But I think I might crack and give Dawn a listen..........out of morbid curiosity.

botty

Banned
Haven't listened to it yet...wasn't too impressed by the two songs I heard and I've been waiting for the superior DK member to put out her music.

But I think I might crack and give Dawn a listen..........out of morbid curiosity.

I didn't enjoy it, though Northern Lights is kind of a bop.

ihtDRmgkakEuZ.png

@Royalan Do I bleach?

Your skin tone seems to match the 4 album cover more.

Sai-kun

Banned
Going to bed mad that I'm missing Jessie Ware's show here today. >:/ I had no idea she was even coming, since her original tour dates didn't list Chicago. Ugh.

Fey

Banned
I started today like everyone should begin their days - with Madonna.

Top 20 Madonna singles list coming your way tbh

it1FlcC7BQSEf.gif

godspoken

Going to bed mad that I'm missing Jessie Ware's show here today. >:/ I had no idea she was even coming, since her original tour dates didn't list Chicago. Ugh.
Ah, too bad. I saw her last Tuesday, and met her about an hour after the show ended. She is so sweet. Also, she hates encores for the same reason I do!

I've been getting into Jens Lekman recently.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

:( I have a bad feeling it's going to be a very long time, possibly years, before she plays a show in Seattle.

I started today like everyone should begin their days - with Madonna.

Top 20 Madonna singles list coming your way tbh

Agreed. Looking forward to the list even if I suspect it's going to make me angry, hah!

royalan

B-b-but I thought she was involved in a plot to steal Michael's money!?

I'm going to not think the worst here because they have been together for a while and seem really in love with each other....but DAMN! How much is this man worth that, even with a fast track prenup designed to protect his fortune, Janet would STILL walk away with 500 million!? AND he's fine!?

Where can I find a baller like that???

Someone should make a thread. I kinda want to read the ManGAF meltdowns.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
1 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)
2 Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
3 will.i.am - Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears)
4 The Lumineers - Ho Hey
5 Lil Wayne - Love Me (feat. Drake & Future)
6 Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie (feat. JAY Z)

ibdxWa4nEaSNaL.gif

1 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)
2 Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
3 will.i.am - Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears)
4 The Lumineers - Ho Hey
5 Lil Wayne - Love Me (feat. Drake & Future)
6 Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie (feat. JAY Z)

Dropping like a rock.

I can't wait for next weeks airplay charts as its AI falls apart with the payola wearing off.

Giving me dat MDNA "GMAYL" tease.

Fey

Banned
w5MKC9G.jpg

f2j8BZF.jpg

20. Borderline (Madonna, 1983)
Something in the way you love me won't let me be ...
The final single off Madonna's debut album, Borderline was the second song of Madonna's record-breaking 16 straight top 10 hits. A pure 80s pop-dance song whose lyrics dealt unfulfilled love, the song is regarded as one of Madonna's greatest classics.

c40p99n.jpg

19. Miles Away (Hard Candy, 2008)
I just woke up from a fuzzy dream ...
The final single off of Madonna's eleventh album, Hard Candy, Miles Away is an electronic ballad about long-distance relationships. The song was the clear highlight of Hard Candy, which was otherwise full of mediocre songs.

LibMd7l.jpg

18. Don't Tell Me (Music, 2000)
Don't tell me to stop ...
The second single off of Madonna's eight album, Don't Tell Me is Madonna's last second single that peaked in the top 10. An electronic song with elements from country songs, Don't Tell Me was a strange song to follow the lead single of the album, but its mix of genres and uniqueness makes it one of her best.

XsId4Xf.jpg

17. Into The Groove (Like a Virgin, 1984)
You can dance for inspiration ...
A song originally made for the movie Desperately Seeking Susan, Into The Groove is pop-dance song that was included on her second album. Lyrically, the song is about Madonna's love of dance and inviting a male to dance with her. Though it was ineligible to chart on the Hot 100, Billboard called it the best dance single of the 1980s.

ZPLc8y9.jpg

16. Open Your Heart (True Blue, 1986)
I see you on the street and you walk on by ...
Open Your Heart was the fourth single off of Madonna's widely successful third album. The pop-dance song reached the top of the Hot 100, and was one of the 16 songs in Madonna's top 10 streak.

rapLRbV.jpg

15. Hollywood (American Life, 2003)
Everybody comes to Hollywood ...
The second single off of Madonna's not-so-well-received ninth album, Hollywood is an electronic dance song with elements from folk-rock (similar to Don't Tell Me). The song and its music video deals with American life and culture. The song was performed at VMAs of 2003, where Madonna kissed Britney Spears and that other girl.

2LpeCKF.jpg

14. Take A Bow (Bedtime Stories, 1994)
Take a bow, the night is over ...
Take A Bow was the second single released off of Madonna's sixth album. The ballad features a more mature sound from Madonna, notably toned down compared to songs off her previous two albums. It opens with oriental strings and deals with saying goodbye to a lover. The song peaked at #1 for seven weeks - Madonna's longest reign at the top spot.

Jing0ZZ.jpg

13. Die Another Day (American Life, 2003)
I'm gonna wake up, yes and no ...
The theme song for the worst Bond movie ever, Die Another Day is sometimes criticized for being one of the worst Bond songs. Though the song may not be the best Bond song, it is one hell of a catchy song. Like the other songs on American Life (and her previous two albums) it is an electronic pop song.

KHu88mV.jpg

12. Live To Tell (True Blue, 1986)
I have a tale to tell ...
The lead single off of Madonna's third album, the song was used in Madonna's then-husband, Sean Penn's, movie At Close Range. The ballad peaked at #1 on the Hot 100 and displayed a much more mature sound and music video from Madonna. The song is still considered by many Madonna fans to be her best ballad.

abLGxEe.jpg

11. Drowned World/Substitute For Love (Ray of Light, 1998)
I traded fame for love without a second thought ...
The opening song to Madonna's seventh album and her Drowned World Tour, Drowned World/Substitute For Love is a simple ballad with very minimal electronic music. The lyrics deal with Madonna's desire and experience with fame.

Trigger

Louis is the Queen. I'm just starting to warm up more to Zayn lately. I blame all the promo Marius gives him.

RE: Suit & Tie

I'm just grateful he didn't give us a shitty dance track with a terrible breakdown as his comeback single.

icbuafztGe3bi.gif

EDIT- I'm percheD to see where my favorite songs from the Crone land.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
KATY PERFORMS AT THE KIDS INAUGURAL EVENT AT WASHINGTON CONVENTION CENTER

normal_9~81.jpg

normal_10~75.jpg

I cant make jokes due to my 1D stanning, but they basically write themselves
ibfwkOGsi8CiyX.gif

Louis is the Queen. I'm just starting to warm up more to Zayn lately. I blame all the promo Marius gives him.

RE: Suit & Tie

I'm just grateful he didn't give us a shitty dance track with a terrible breakdown as his comeback single.

icbuafztGe3bi.gif

Amen.

The one thing I will give JT is that he seems to be doing what he wants rather than obsessing about being the "next big thing" again. I can respect that
Despite the fact that I have liked very little of his music over the years.

Zayn: Zayn is very hot and cold for me. One day I see a pic and he is utterly flawless.....the next its a video and he looks kind of ratty. Plus his personality is relatively low key to begin with.

KATY PERFORMS AT THE KIDS INAUGURAL EVENT AT WASHINGTON CONVENTION CENTER

I cant make jokes due to my 1D stanning, but they basically write themselves

Do we have any information on what songs she performed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom