• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

JudgeN

Can't really compare the 2 games when they are on 2 different generation of systems. I would think a better comparison would be FFXV on the PS4/720 to X on WiiU, but that's not the point of this thread.

It's great that the Wii U has a cool new game to look forward to, but let's not get ridiculous now. Square-Enix isn't the FFXIII saga, regardless of how much we want to think they are.

Metaroo

Square Enix has been crushingly disappointing this generation. X looks like exactly what I want in a video game. I wouldn't say that Monolith has them beat just yet, but Square has a lot of catching up to do.

fvng

X and Versus both look good. You're allowed to like more than one game simultaneously people

It's great that the Wii U has a cool new game to look forward to, but let's not get ridiculous now. Square-Enix isn't the FFXIII saga, regardless of how much we want to think they are.

They haven't got much more to show for themselves. (or at least nothing they seem interested in releasing in the West, anyway)

Mxrz

So, you can't just be hyped for a new game? Immediately it has to be a "This is better than theirs!" thing? Bleh. Its a small demo clip. Maybe wait until we get some real details about the game before declaring it superior to another companies work.

Can't really compare the 2 games when they are on 2 different generation of systems. I would think a better comparison would be FFXV on the PS4/720 to X on WiiU, but that's not the point of this thread.

or we could compare Xenoblade to FFXIII.

I don't know how most people would vote but my money is on Xenoblade.

Astery

I view it as Square Enix just fell to its grave themselves and never bother getting back up, other than you know, more Lightning.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

They made themselves that. Lets not even mention that because Versus XIII has been such a timewasting disaster the Kingdom Hearts series went the entire generation without 3.

The last question of your post and the question in the thread title are pretty much the opposite question, so any lazy-ass replies that are just "yup" or "nope" will be impossible to interpret. :-/

That said, this utterly blows Lightning Returns away in its look and scope, and it blows Versus XIII away by virtue of the fact that it actually exists.

Daaaammnnn that ether

Mono is definitely eating Square's lunch

Osorio93

Neo Member
SQUARE ENIX DOOMED XD
No , seriously, monolith software and mistwalker are better than the actual square enix
I miss you SquareSoft.....

Haunted

I imagine the Versus team running around with their hair on fire right now.

haha just kidding
there is no versus team, it's vapourware

X and Versus both look good. You're allowed to like more than one game simultaneously people

I think the point here is that X has more chances of coming out in the next two years than Versus, even though it has just been anounced compared to Versus' 6 years or so.

Not running over, flying over.

amekbv.gif

Simply.

Awesome.

Jarnet87

Anything that is an RPG looks better then what Sqenix is putting out. Whenever they have an opportunity to make things worse(SE), they do it with flawless precision.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Gohtza City in Lost Odyssey, if we prize actual interactivity over sheer size. Academia has next to nothing to actually do in it.

Size matters! Well, to me anyway. Academia itself was whatever when it comes to content, I just liked the city aesthetically and size wise. But yeah as far as 'things to do' it's pretty meh.

Really? :lol

X looks like XIV btw. And we've seen nothing of the new Versus, so I dont think its correct to judge for now.

Which XIV exactly? The abortion or the staggered revival?

Also, Versus is vaporware. If it ever turns up, it will have been years and years in the making.

Chev

And we've seen nothing of the new Versus

Which is a clear sign of a problem in itself. Versus was first teased with a CG trailer in 2006 and last shown two years ago with only tiny slivers of news since, while in comparison Monolith Soft just popped out a bone fide gameplay trailer out of nowhere as the very first announcement. This at the very least indicates a huge difference in priorities towards gameplay instead of fancy announcements that lead nowhere.

Then what it is nowadays?
All the Bravest, dohoho

So, you can't just be hyped for a new game? Immediately it has to be a "This is better than theirs!" thing? Bleh. Its a small demo clip. Maybe wait until we get some real details about the game before declaring it superior to another companies work.
it isn't so much a "This is better than theirs!" thing than a "this is how it should be done" thing. Here we are with something that seems to do everything Versus promises and then some, without the protracted development time. There's no reason versus should take that long, and unless it takes six more years to get X out, it hammers the point home.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is such a weird thread.

I don't see what this has to do with Square-Enix. I don't even see why S-E would give a shit in the first place.

Xenoblade sold like 1/5th of what 13-2 sold in Japan alone (let alone in other regions).

Versus probably doesn't exist too.

Mit-

I was honestly thinking Monster Hunter the entire time and was wondering if this was even going to be related to the 'Xeno' series. I was quite disappointed with the trailer until I saw the mech scene. The vehicles look pretty great but it still just looks like a Monster Hunter archetype game.

I doubt this will end up comparable to VersusXIII. And I don't mean in terms of quality, I just mean in terms of being two games similar enough to warrant comparison.

Also $20 that Versus sells way better than this game :V

Gartooth

If SquareEnix doesn't get their crap together next gen, I think it's over for them.

Even if their games are utter shit, they will endure for quite some time due to their acquisition of western developers to help them overseas while they rely on Dragon Quest to make ends meet back in Japan.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sooooo, mechs are just lying about the place in this game. Do they, like, grow from the ground? Are they really highly evolved types of gourd?

If it breaks down you can just eat its meloney goodness until help arrives.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I was honestly thinking Monster Hunter the entire time and was wondering if this was even going to be related to the 'Xeno' series.

I don't know why you would do that. The combat and interface look almost exactly like Xenoblade.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I don't see what this has to do with Square-Enix. I don't even see why S-E would give a shit in the first place.

Xenoblade sold like 1/5th of what 13-2 sold in Japan alone (let alone in other regions).

Dont destroy their delusions! Thats cruel.

Why are you talking about sales?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think most studios (Monolith included) are able to go from concept to stores shelves (and critical acclaim) faster than S-E will be able to upscale FFX. So yes, they just ran over S-E. But they weren't the first.

This time though, it had a familiar touch.

thefro

I was honestly thinking Monster Hunter the entire time and was wondering if this was even going to be related to the 'Xeno' series. I was quite disappointed with the trailer until I saw the mech scene. The vehicles look pretty great but it still just looks like a Monster Hunter archetype game.

It looks like it plays close to how Xenoblade plays. Seems like there will be optional co-op but it's not a MMO.

Sooooo, mechs are just lying about the place in this game. Do they, like, grow from the ground? Are they really highly evolved types of gourd?

If it breaks down you can just eat its meloney goodness until help arrives.

Maybe not, maybe they are were you park them :lol

Darryl

Banned

lol well it's one of their former employees who left to start a company and is pulling off higher rated products out at an even faster pace than they are. it'll matter to them regardless because this will definitely help them in the short-term by building an audience for their products.

Cwarrior

They ran over Square-Enix with Xenoblade.

This is just them backing over the corpse.

lol true,doesn't take a lot to run over square these days.

Developers like Monolith soft, Capcom(dragons dogma), From software(dark souls) and mistwalker(last story) are the ones pushing the genre forward.

Not it dosn't. And I played the alpha. X looks like it have a much bigger scale and seamless world. Of course XIV is a full fledged MMO with 100 characters on the screen at the same time...so is not really comparable.

My answer is yes. Looking at XIII-2 and then seeing X is like a shock revelation. SE is no longer the epitome of JRPG visuals.... X looks much better than any SE current gen game. Speak by itself how a mid range japanese developer managed to create a much better and espectacular engine...

The trailer shows little to nothing to judge it's seamlessness over. All we've seen is a relatively small island with basically no background other than a skybox. It's only slightly more impressive than the open area of FF13 near the end. Of course it looks better and performs better, but isn't that expected due to the WiiU being more powerful? Let's not jump the gun here.

We know extremely little about the game. For all we know it could be a mission based co-op game with little depth. It looks more like Lost Planet than Xenoblade right now to me.

I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it doesn't look great, because it does, but let's try to keep our wishful thinking to a minimum until they release more info.

All I need to be happy is Xenoblade with better graphics so I'm most likely satisfied.

lol well it's one of their former employees who left to start a company and is pulling off higher rated products out at an even faster pace than they are. it'll matter to them regardless because this will definitely help them in the short-term by building an audience for their products.

Xenoblade originally released in 2010.

Danj

Holy shit what is this game and why have I not heard about it? I love giant robots.

Is it seriously just called "X"? That's gonna make it hard to Google, anyone want to drop some links?

Top Bottom