• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Well, Xenoblade for Wii looked fantastic. They have great art direction, but while the game looks great, it doesn't take real long to make mostly open fields. Square, as slow as they have been, puts a lot of detail into their towns. Probably not enough to justify the wait, but FF13 looked fantastic. That game was linear though.

Ferulci

Not running over, flying over.

amekbv.gif
This.

This is such a weird thread.

I don't see what this has to do with Square-Enix. I don't even see why S-E would give a shit in the first place.

Xenoblade sold like 1/5th of what 13-2 sold in Japan alone (let alone in other regions).

Versus probably doesn't exist too.

You do have a point. Final Fantasy is the incumbent and they hold serve as far as the hearts of consumers.

Problem with this is that they are doing nothing with it. The wait between Final Fantasy games is a long, laboured exercise. Tons of promises and nothing to show for it for years on end. Meanwhile, a number of challengers have come in to usurp their throne. Square is ripe for losing their position.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I don't see what this has to do with Square-Enix. I don't even see why S-E would give a shit in the first place.

Xenoblade sold like 1/5th of what 13-2 sold in Japan alone (let alone in other regions).

I don't think sales are what people are talking about here.

Otherwise the thread title would be about Bethesda and Blizzard.

FLAguy954

Can't really compare the 2 games when they are on 2 different generation of systems. I would think a better comparison would be FFXV on the PS4/720 to X on WiiU, but that's not the point of this thread.

Or more accurately, a luminous engine game. Anyways, the fact that most here believe that X destroys all current gen jrpgs in fidelity = Wii U next gen confirmed.

JWong

Banned
I don't see why there is a need to involve Square-Enix. This game looks more like competition for Monster Hunter instead of Final Fantasy.

If this is exclusive to Wii U, then S-E has nothing to worried about since FF13 series will definitely be on top with sales.

amaron11

Banned
I don't see why there is a need to involve Square-Enix. This game looks more like competition for Monster Hunter instead of Final Fantasy.

If this is exclusive to Wii U, then S-E has nothing to worried about since FF13 series will definitely be on top with sales.

Boy bands sold millions upon millions of albums, but that doesn't mean their music was any good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why are you talking about sales?

Only brought it up because people are saying silly things like this game is going to kill off Square-Enix or that its over for them because of this game.

Monolith is a great developer and I'm sure this game will be great but I don't see what the relevance is to Square-Enix - when they manage to put out a compelling product with great quality (and this is what you can argue that they struggle at) then it obliterates everything else. What exactly does Monolith have to do with this?

LuuKyK

Expose them darkside!
devil.gif

But Versus exists.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm more impressed with what I've seen of Versus. It's just...I've seen as much with this game now as I have of Versus in 6 years.

Only brought it up because people are saying silly things like this game is going to kill off Square-Enix or that its over for them because of this game.

Monolith is a great developer and I'm sure this game will be great but I don't see what the relevance is to Square-Enix - when they manage to put out a compelling product with great quality (and this is what you can argue that they struggle at) then it obliterates everything else. What exactly does Monolith have to do with this?

My point was to compare both companies as software developers and the work they've made, not at sales or other criteria.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm more impressed with what I've seen of Versus. It's just...I've seen as much with this game now as I have of Versus in 6 years.

So you're more impressed with nothing? lol

In all seriousness, graphics and in gameplay, I'm more impressed with X than I am with that gameplay trailer from Versus a long while back. This trailer blows the Versus one out of the water.

nasos_333

For what we have seen in the last Nintendo Direct, X looks freaking awesome.

In just two or three years, Monolith has achieved to get the vibe of what many of us expected from FF Versus XIII.

The announcemente of Versus XIII back in 2006 was one of the most exciting news in all my gaming life.

A real time action RPG following the line of Final Fantasy games.

Now we are in 2013 and all we know of Versus XIII has diluted through time with a couple of videos and little scoops, while Monolith has brought a fresh real time action RPG, with Mecha fighting and giant monsters to slaughter. In HD.

Okay, it's been more than seven years sin the HD generation came to our homes, but seriously. Is there any other japanese developer that has made anything as impressing (in terms of depth of field and visuals) as 'X'?

Discuss.

I want to see the towns, art and adventure part first, right now i only see something like Monster Hunter, which are games i dont normally play

But if it is a proper RPG and the art in areas is not as generic as in the trailer, i will definitly get a WiiU for it

Seems i am extremely spoilt by the detail and variety in 2D art :)

Mxrz

it isn't so much a "This is better than theirs!" thing than a "this is how it should be done" thing. Here we are with something that seems to do everything Versus promises and then some, without the protracted development time. There's no reason versus should take that long, and unless it takes six more years to get X out, it hammers the point home.

Nothing about this reminded me anything of what's been shown of Versus. If anything this looked like a mix of Monster Hunter and Warhawk. With the pretty damn obvious chat box and ability timers in there, multiplayer looks to be an element, too.

Jumping the gun and saying "This is how it should be done, Square!!" comes off as childish any way you dress it up. There's just little overlap to be had beyond the superficial console/company warrior junk.

Well, Xenoblade for Wii looked fantastic. They have great art direction, but while the game looks great, it doesn't take real long to make mostly open fields. Square, as slow as they have been, puts a lot of detail into their towns. Probably not enough to justify the wait, but FF13 looked fantastic. That game was linear though.

Why are you even comparing fields to towns

Ezalc

They ran over Square-Enix with Xenoblade.

This is just them backing over the corpse.

This. Xenoblade was amazing and easily the best RPG of last gen. This game will just confirm two things: how great a developer Monolith Soft is and how far SE has fallen from it's former grace.

My point was to compare both companies as software developers and the work they've made, not at sales or other criteria.

In that case, personally speaking, Type-0 as a better game than Xenoblade.
SE has then provided multitudes of other titles as well in the past few years.

I'm not sure where this comparison really leads.
I like the fact that Monolith AND SE can make high-quality, convincing titles.

tokkun

What interests me about Versus is its aesthetic; that it seems to be set in a world that is near-modern and could possibly be somewhat more tied to reality in its characters and story.

Guys fighting dinosaurs in mechs is pretty much the polar opposite of that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In that case, personally speaking, Type-0 as a better game than Xenoblade.
SE has then provided multitudes of other titles as well in the past few years.

I'm not sure where this comparison really leads.

Are we going to compare portable development/game with a console one?

Why are you even comparing fields to towns

Because this thread was created in some way to discredit Square-Enix because they can't do HD games?

Xenoblade didn't feature towns that even close rivaled FF12's. And this Xenogears Trailer we got showed zero towns.

It's not hard to make HD fields and mountains. Square is clearly taking a lot of time to make their games.

Monolith proved themselves several times over with Xenoblade.

They are worthy of the hype with only a trailer as basis. Don't really see the need putting down SE in an comparison though. They have enough problems on their own, hur hur ;)

Did not know of the founders connection with SE , that is very cool.

I don't know how you can possibly be more impressed with Versus.

The trailer showed more and the concept seems more interesting to me...sure this looks awesome and better visually at the moment, but we have seen versus for over 2 years. That is a huge amount of time. If it still exists the visuals have probably been improved greatly. I am not wholly convinced it still exists though. To be honest, the environments in Versus look to have more local detail.

This looks much better than Lightning Returns though. Aesthetic Reminds me of Halo 4

Zoator

I think people are jumping the gun a little bit with HD towns and huge open worlds. Neither of those things were suggested in that trailer, and neither of those things were present in Xenoblade. This looks very, very much like HD Xenoblade with guns and mechs. That's not a bad thing, mind you -- Xenoblade was my favorite RPG of this generation. But I think there is a lot of blind optimism being thrown around about what this game will be.

Top Bottom