• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I feel like people defending the graphical changes don't quite understand the problem, or don't care about the art side of the game.

I'm staying mum until we see it in motion.

Then again, I never thought Wind Waker's artstyle was as charming as other people see it, although I don't dislike it.

Alcibiades

Hmm, thinking further I would not be at all upset by a full line of HD revamped GCN ports. I would definitely buy Pikmin, Maro Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, and just about any quality game if they were priced in the $29.99 range.

daxy

Wow, that looks a lot better! Hoping they change it during development.

Same here. Looks like home to me :')
Absolutely love The Wind Waker, in spite of some of its glaring issues. This still looks fine and I'll play the crap out of it. Perhaps because it's so near and dear to my heart that I'm taking this so badly, haha.

Pociask

So, stepping away from the graphics for a bit -

Seen a few suggestions that adding dungeons would take Nintendo too much time. I was under the assumption the dungeons were cut, not that no work was ever done on them. I assume a lot of the work for the cut dungeons is already done, and they just need to be fully fleshed out and refined.

In addition to some of the other suggestions made, I think they have to add Wiimote-Nunchuck control, so you can use that sweet pointer. Plus, instant co-op, as player 2 gets the Gamepad and the Tingle Tuner. Right?

f23a2269c1864f21af3e2c6.png
Thanks.

That second point is kinda vague and I hope they expand on that in the near future. Off-TV play is good
and should be standard for all Wii U games
but I don't see how useful Miiverse will be for people who've already played WW.

Seanspeed

Banned
Cool news. Never had a Gamecube and my Wii isn't backwards compatible so I never got to play this one. I'll buy a Wii U one day, so this will definitely be on my purchase list.

kitzkozan

I'm gonna take this HD revamp over the Virtual console re-release if there's even one. :p They will adjust the graphics anyway. What is interesting to me is that it's going to interact with the gamepad. In fact, this might actually be a better route than just re-releasing old gamecube games on the virtual console if properly priced. HD graphics + being able to play them off tv on the gamepad. :D

Holy fuck, this looks amazing. When I read the thread title I didn't really expect much, and planned to just stick with my original copy, but after seeing the video I'm gonna have to buy this for sure.

Pappasman

Yeah I'm a lil 50/50. On one hand it looks gorgeous in HD. On the other hand it looks to have weirdly dropped some of the vibrance and crisp cel shading that made the original so fun.

And that BLOOM EVERYWHERE (is that what it's called?) wtf, its supposed to look like a cartoon, get rid of that.

EDIT: That said, I'll be picking this us especially if they fix the crappy tri-quest and add in things that seemed to have been blatantly cut from the original (jabu jabu just handing you that jewel thing or w/e it was my memory is bad)

Ya, I'm thinking the same thing. Im a bit disappointed they lost the same cel shading as the original game, but I'm really excited to see this new version in motion. It looks fantastic.

Paracelsus

The game looks good but the lighting looks waaaaaaaay out of place in a cartoony game, it reminds me of 3D Dot Heroes which is not a good thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thanks.

That second point is kinda vague and I hope they expand on that in the near future. Off-TV play is good
and should be standard for all Wii U games
but I don't see how useful Miiverse will be for people who've already played WW.

How can it be standard if a game displays different things on the screens and both are required to be visible?

I'm guessing the adjustments will be focused on streamlining the experience (see OoT3D and the ironboots) rather than necessarily adding content.

daxy

Again, complaining about an updated art style of a game known for its art style isn't just "complaining about anything."

I have to agree here. It's also not the bloom as much as the new shaders and color scheme for me.

Tingle Tuner WiiPad seems interesting! Didn't think of that even. I never got to use that feature on the GCN.

Nyoro SF

Okay after calming down...

I don't mind the new art style, but I do think it is a bit harsher on the eyes than the original, which is a shame.

I'm much more interested in seeing if they add/redo temples, quests, games, islands, etc.

Poyunch

Too saturated and it looks pretty barren with just the textures being upressed. Thank God they're realizing the Zelda formula is stale. I lost all excitement for the series after Skyward Sword.

Hedja

Long distance shots look good but character models look off. Hopefully they fix that and replace the triforce quest with that dungeon they didn't finish.

Hypatia

Same here. Looks like home to me :')
Absolutely love The Wind Waker, in spite of some of its glaring issues. This still looks fine and I'll play the crap out of it. Perhaps because it's so near and dear to my heart that I'm taking this so badly, haha.

Yeah me too, the remakes already bought. I just love Wind Waker so any changes they make to it I'm going to be hyper critical about.

So, stepping away from the graphics for a bit -

Seen a few suggestions that adding dungeons would take Nintendo too much time. I was under the assumption the dungeons were cut, not that no work was ever done on them. I assume a lot of the work for the cut dungeons is already done, and they just need to be fully fleshed out and refined.

In addition to some of the other suggestions made, I think they have to add Wiimote-Nunchuck control, so you can use that sweet pointer. Plus, instant co-op, as player 2 gets the Gamepad and the Tingle Tuner. Right?

Adding dungeons could be a huge undertaking but it depends on how new they are, whether ot not they reuse assets and mechanics, how long they are etc.

Knowing Nintendo they'll probably cheap out and not bother but I don't see why adding at least one extra (or making Ganons tower longer) wouldn't be totally doable.

And yeah I'd love Wii pointer controls and Tingle Tuner gamepad. That'd be great.

Roo

How can it be standard if a game displays different things on the screens and both are required to be visible?

I'm guessing the adjustments will be focused on streamlining the experience (see OoT3D and the ironboots) rather than necessarily adding content.

imo, it should be for all the multiplatform games at least

Seems like they're offering up Wind Waker to hold us over till Zelda U, much in the same way they offered up Ocarina of Time to hold us over till Wind Waker.

Yeah - but this isn't a pre-order bonus like that OOT version was. Played already on Dolphin, and I too am not a fan of these artistic changes.

Not a system seller.

PKrockin

"Tune up the overall game experience" sounds far more like "add polish and improve the presentation of the same content" than "remove the Triforce piece hunt and add the cut dungeons".

You'd think if they actually planned to do that they would use words like "all-new content."

The best part about Triforce hunting was how I did the first half or 2/3rds or whatever of it spread out before the game asked me to, so by the time I actually had to do it, it was mostly the fighting areas and Ghost Ship so it felt really cool and not tedious at all.

Hypatia

The best part about Triforce hunting was how I did the first half or 2/3rds or whatever of it spread out before the game asked me to, so by the time I actually had to do it, it was mostly the fighting areas and Ghost Ship so it felt really cool and not tedious at all.

Pretty much why the Triforce quest has never bothered me.

Not that I wouldn't like them to add a couple of mini dungeons to it.

Good on them for putting this out in HD. It's not a system-pusher for me (I've played it loads, thank you), though it would be something I'd pick up if I had a WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom