• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD posts $473m Q4 loss, $1.18bn FY loss, stock goes up due to beat expectations

Odrion

Banned
Not too afraid, it's above expectations and every console manufacturer will be using them for the next eight or so years.

patapuf

I don't think the reason they are loosing money are graphic cards. Isn't it mostly because their CPU's don't sell ?

1-D_FTW

Nvidia isn't positioned much better than Intel when it comes to operating without competition. The reality is this: If you want to keep what remains of the mass market, pricing is your competition. If you go too high, you'll simply destroy what remains of the market.

lantus

Same reason other companies that put out great products have hard times, public perception of the brand goes a long way. When they are seen as the inferior route to go with compared to nvidia and Intel that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Same reason other companies that put out great products have hard times, public perception of the brand goes a long way. When they are seen as the inferior route to go with compared to nvidia and Intel that's just how the cookie crumbles.

They are the inferior route to Intel and nvidia though, especially on the CPU side where there's very little reason to consider an AMD CPU over an Intel one.

hwalker84

They tried to be both Nvidia and Intel, and failed at being better than either of them.

Nvidia makes better GPUs overall.
Intel makes better CPUs overall.

They fell behind in key areas at important tech shifts (like mobile).

I don't want AMD to die. Both Intel and Nvidia need some form of competitor to prevent them from getting lazier than they are already getting.

Essentially this.

They are the inferior route to Intel and nvidia though, especially on the CPU side where there's very little reason to consider an AMD CPU over an Intel one.

I wouldn't call their graphics division an "inferior route". The 7000 series has been performing damn well. Their CPUs though? Yeah, they're simply inferior.

Mario007

What chip designs does AMD do for mobile? Aren't they the ones that Apple, Samsung and Qualcomm go to for their chip designs?

What chip designs does AMD do for mobile? Aren't they the ones that Apple, Samsung and Qualcomm go to for their chip designs?
Qualcomm make their own graphics, Samsung uses ARM designed graphics and Apple is currently using nvidia in their macs and PowerVR in their iOS devices.

antitrop

Speak for yourself, I will never stick a nvidia card into my PC as long as MD is around and they are competitive.
Everyone always has their reasons, but for me I've never been able to switch out of Nvidia after experiencing AMD's horrible drivers. The last time I owned an AMD(/ATI) card was in 2005 and it was a nightmare.

Everyone always has their reasons, but for me I've never been able to switch out of Nvidia after experiencing AMD's horrible drivers. The last time I owned an AMD card was in 2005 and it was a nightmare.

I feel your pain, but believe me when I say Catalyst has gotten so much better since then.

derFeef

Everyone always has their reasons, but for me I've never been able to switch out of Nvidia after experiencing AMD's horrible drivers. The last time I owned an AMD card was in 2005 and it was a nightmare.

For sure, I am not going to convince anyone. Bad experience is bad experience.
But that's also 8 years ago :)

Seance

Banned
Yep, definitely one of the reasons. All their shitty CF GPUs, terrible drivers and poor game support turned me to Nvidia.

Oh god yes :(. Built my first PC a few months ago and opted for HD 7850 CF over a GTX670. What a fool I was. So much stuttering, so many incompatible games and then programs like ENB don't utilise CF.

kitch9

Banned
For sure, I am not going to convince anyone. Bad experience is bad experience.
But that's also 8 years ago :)

Isn't 2005 around the time Nvidia was burning cards to death by forgetting to tell the drivers to turn the fan on?

It was around then they used the wrong glue on a few million chips and they slowly burned themselves to death also....

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Oh god yes :(. Built my first PC a few months ago and opted for HD 7850 CF over a GTX670. What a fool I was. So much stuttering, so many incompatible games and then programs like ENB don't utilise CF.

CF on AMD cards is like taking two wild dogs and tying them together with a spiked lead.

My last 2 cards were an HD5850 and an HD7970, I've been happy with both for the most part but I have had a few issues (mainly HDMI audio issues). I'm not sure if I'd have had fewer issues if I went Nvidia but I do know I would probably have more tweaking options, especially when it comes to AA. That being said, I think they're still making some compelling graphics cards that I wouldn't be afraid to recommend to someone building a machine given their budget. I haven't run into the nightmare scenarios some others apparently have.

kitch9

Banned

Sli has similar problems.

Also never pick two slower cards over one quicker one of any type, its an exercise in frustration.

CF on AMD cards is like taking two wild dogs and tying them together with a spiked lead.

Can I get some more hyperbole with thems eggs?

Dual GPU's have issues full stop.

antitrop

I feel your pain, but believe me when I say Catalyst has gotten so much better since then.
I believe you 100%, but they lost me young. I just have no reason to go back anymore. I gave them a chance and I found more happiness with the competitor.

I believe you 100%, but they lost me young. I just have no reason to go back anymore. I gave them a chance and I found more happiness with the competitor.

No doubt. Believe me, I'm in no way trying to convince you. I was merely stating an opinion. No need for bickering among the PC master race.

Aren't stuttering and compatibility issues common problems for both SLI and Crossfire configurations? I've heard nothing, but good things about the 7800-7900 series of cards. This is part of why I just plan on upgrading from my 670 to another single card instead of doubling up when the time comes.

Aren't stuttering and compatibility issues common problems for both SLI and Crossfire configurations? I've heard nothing, but good things about the 7800-7900 series of cards. This is part of why I just plan on upgrading from my 670 to another single card instead of doubling up when the time comes.

They are. A lot of people assume it's only crossfire that does it for some reason.

Tenki

Maybe this is a noob question, but imagine that AMD goes out of business, but the chips for the consoles are already designed. What would MS/Sony/Nintendo do? Give the designs to another company that would make the chips?

Maybe this is a noob question, but imagine that AMD goes out of business, but the chips for the consoles are already designed. What would MS/Sony/Nintendo do? Give the designs to another company that would make the chips?

Another company will already make the chips. AMD is just working with them on the actual design.

everyone should be worried, you really dont want a market where intel and nvidia have 0 competition

This man knows what's up.

alcide

Banned
everyone should be worried, you really dont want a market where intel and nvidia have 0 competition

Hmmm.

Intel's starting to push into the GPU market with Intel® HD Graphics Enriches

Nvidia's starting to push into the CPU market with both their ARM processors and CUDA etc

Correct me if I'm wrong but they're both starting to encroach into each others market.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think the reason they are loosing money are graphic cards. Isn't it mostly because their CPU's don't sell ?

Pretty much. AMD, despite its best efforts, has never been able to bounce back from the lead Intel gained with Conroe/Core 2 Duo in 2006. AMD's processors are generally better for budget builds, but the enthusiast desktop and high-performance server markets are where the money is and Intel has had them tightly wrapped for the better part of a decade.

1-D_FTW

This man knows what's up.

It sucks, but this situation is occurring because the market isn't a thriving place. Whether they have competition or not, unless that keep it price competitive, the mass market will disappear and it won't matter how much the fringe lunatic are willing to spend on chips. That's what will keep pricing competitive. Or else they'll join AMD in the grave.

Nvidia sure as hell isn't cheaper. Total opposite. Better performing is debatable.

Intel has destroyed AMD in the processor space. There's no debate there.

The GTX 670 performs on par with the HD7970, better in some games, worse in others but they are roughly equivalent. In my country the 670 is $200 cheaper than the 7970.

antitrop

Going from an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE to an Intel i7-2600k was one of the best hardware upgrades I've ever made, in terms of performance. Specifically on CPU intensive games like The Witcher 2 and StarCraft II, as well as programs like XSplit.

No matter how hard I overclocked that 1100T, I just couldn't get any sort of respectable FPS in many, many games, despite having a top of the line GPU.

This was right before the Bulldozer chips came out, but I made the right choice. Every time I've ever had a piece of AMD hardware in my computer, I've just been itching to switch it out with a superior product.

Blinck

Sucks for them. On the other hand, I promised myself to never buy another AMD GPU ever again. I've been switching between AMD and Nvidia for many years, but now I will go Nvidia all the way.
Everytime I buy an ATI card I have hopes that they are now stable, but that is never the case. The last one I bought ( and still own) was an Ati 5850, and I've never had so many problems with a graphic card before, to the point where I have actually wasted a good amount of money in games that simply don't work with it. Never again..never again.

Cynar

My next notebook will be AMD, cannot allow this to happen. I'll recommend it to all my friends as well. The future could be a scary place.

Jin

The stuttering is less noticeable on a Nvidia card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-8.html

You can reduce the stuttering on a AMD card if you d/l the RadeonPro software and play around with it, but Nvidia seem to do it better on a hardware level with minimal fuss. There's a video I saw of BF3 showing the stuttering between Nvidia and AMD and the AMD was really bad. I'm at work so I can't link the video but try doing a search and see.

Sethos

Banned

No. Crossfire is very susceptible to microstuttering and I've experienced it first hand back in the olden days of the 4870X2 and the 5970 - It was horrible. Running an SLI setup right now and I have not seen a single shred of stuttering, everything is smooth as butter. Which mainly is because Nvidia cares and they employ technology to reduce stuttering.

I think all people who use an SLI setup from the last few years can attest to that.

bring back ATI.

That's the biggest casualty right there, if AMD ever goes under. I would hate to see ATi go down in flames with them. It's a shame that AMD can't find a foothold in the CPU market, they haven;t really had a successfully competing CPU since the Athlon/ Athlon 64 days. I know it has always been an uphill battle for AMD in this market, but they really can't find their target audience here.

derFeef

Jumped on Crossfire again in december after I swore I will never get any crossfire setup again because that 5970 was not the best. But those two 7970ghz editions serve me will, smooth as butter.

Proxy

Intel is just a really scummy company. When AMD was on top Intel made sure OEMs weren't purchasing their hardware. It's hard to compete with your competitors when you can't afford it because your competitors are royally screwing you over every chance they can get.

Top Bottom