• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ND Jan 23rd 2013) New Pikmin 3 Screenshots

Seeing this game makes me realize I'm going to be forced to buy a Wii U for my fiancee this year rather than buy a PS4 or next Xbox for myself. Bittersweet.

This game looks really good, and for those wondering about the low res textures, remember that these screenshots are close ups, during regular gameplay the camera won't be that close and things will look great. I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A couple of shots missing from the OP:
8407960485_7b00d9dc03_b_d.jpg
8409055320_1d740a41a4_b_d.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Absolutely in love with the screenshot idea. Just fits with the Pikmin franchise so well.

Guyz, something extremely important was glossed over.

Check out the new logo:

iLgvd7je0e1Yb.png

Orange Flowers! Means that more are coming aside from the Rock Pikmin and the flying pink Pikmin, the flying pink Pikmin were shown to have pink/purple flowers.

So what Pikmin could we see with Orange Flowers? :O

Guyz, something extremely important was glossed over.

Check out the new logo:

iLgvd7je0e1Yb.png

Orange Flowers! Means that more are coming aside from the Rock Pikmin and the flying pink Pikmin, the flying pink Pikmin were shown to have pink/purple flowers.

So what Pikmin could we see with Orange Flowers? :O

Sand Pikmin!

Maybe they're fruit Pikmin, who will be mistakenly sacrificed to the great Poko machine.

Also I want my Green Pikmin. Hopefully the flying ones will be called Pink Pikmin, they looked normal and not shaped like an object like the Rock Pikmin, they can fly as their special ability.

Vire

Textures still look like hot doo-doo.

:(

Man, really disappointing. Is it the system or just the team working on it not getting the most of the Wii-U?

Is there any reason to go back and play Pikmin 2 now that this is almost out? Only beat the first one.

pikmin 2 is superb. damn I loved it. go play it. The random dungeons and the upgrade mechanics is soooo addictive.

Man, really disappointing. Is it the system or just the team working on it not getting the most of the Wii-U?

this is probably a wii game they up-ported as they needed games for wiiU

Neiteio

Weird I can look at these screens and readily detect seams in the geometry and the blurry texture here and there, yet at the same time the whole image just looks so alive and lush and real, like I'm looking at magical lil' fuckers in my backyard. These Pikmin and Bulborbs feel like they have soul.

I have a feeling, though, that I won't really get pumped for this game until we see more about the campaign and finally get an official look at the pink Pikmin (and whatever bears an orange flower!).

Only on the ground, everywhere else they look great (look at the red bulborb).

But hot damn the color, lighting, and depth of field give off a near CG look to more than make up for it, I mean look at how icky and washed out the E3 shots look in comparison.

Weird I can look at these screens and readily detect seams in the geometry and the blurry texture here and there, yet at the same time the whole image just looks so alive and lush and real, like I'm looking at magical lil' fuckers in my backyard. These Pikmin and Bulborbs feel like they have soul.

Damn straight! :D Hell, for a game that started out on Wii, this is like a miracle, the only way they could've fixed the issues would've been to redo everything from scratch, and honestly, perhaps they could've knowing how long this has been in the oven, on Wii U alone it's been likely 2 years on it as it was confirmed at E3 2011. But they didn't know, they wanted it in the launch window, like by now.

Nilaul

Youll be playing it like an rts, zoomed out, with many characters on screen. So I dont think its disappointing. Your only gonna be zoomed in so much for the photo taking mode. I think its pretty good for an rts.

Vire

Youll be playing it like an rts, zoomed out, with many characters on screen. So I dont think its disappointing. Your only gonna be zoomed in so much for the photo taking mode. I think its pretty good for an rts.

I think my disappointment stems from that fact that I remember how good Pikmin 2 looked for it's time.

This doesn't look good for 2013.

ASIS

I just realized something, why is the "3" orange all of the sudden? Can we expect more unknown pikmin types? Because we already know rock and pink pikmin will have purple flowers.

EDIT: no I didn't read this thread throughly. I am late :(

I think my disappointment stems from that fact that I remember how good Pikmin 2 looked for it's time.

This doesn't look good for 2013.

At this point, they're better off releasing this game and working on Pikmin 4 from the ground up straight away. What else does this team have to busy itself with for the next few years anyway?

guek

Banned
You have to keep in mind, the game is usually pretty far zoomed out. This camera mode is just for shits and giggles. It looked pretty great when I saw it in person.

Technically impressive? Nah, far from it. but visually sound for sure.

Nilaul

You know it's very CPU/GPU heavy to have a perfectly smooth object in a game right? No console could pull it off while averaging more than 1fps.

Depends on how many characters you have on screen.

eon.jpg

This is from end of nations (2012), the models are still very quite low poly. Not expecting much. RTS seem to load the whole playing field at once, and process all events at once. So to expect CGI like models is well.. unrealistic.

Neiteio

GAHHH I'm LOVING these Bulborb pics! They get cuter everytime I look at them!

LOL, "Kate we need to go back!" Someone shop a beard on him!

Oh god this game will come out and all I will do is photograph Bulborbs. :-\

Neiteio

I want to play this game, but those screens are a bit underwhelming. Makes sense considering it started off as a Wii game.
It's an RTS, brah. Everything's out and about at once. Not a slow-loading corridor fest.

Plus, in normal gameplay you'll see everything from high up above, not to mention that when Bulborbs are about to eat you you won't have time to count the sides of its eyeballs! :O

DSN2K

game looks wonderful...specially the lighting, its got some form of softness to it what makes it look natural.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
That fucking Bulborb. It's seen some shit.

I think this is a good example of a game looking better than the sum of its parts. Like, it's clear the ground textures are kind of muddy, and the lack of AF is really obvious in picture mode. But when I look at the screens I see a really bright, colorful, and atmospheric game, and all of the low points sort of disappear. Idk, I think it's just the strong art direction that makes up for the technical shortcomings.

Top Bottom