• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Lime

When using pnach widescreen patches, do I have to change the aspect ratio manually with f6 or does it do it automatically? Does the patch turn when you change to 16:9 or will it also be on in 4:3 and thus warp the picture?

Make sure you have enabled cheats in PCSX2 and you have the correct region version of the game and it should automatically adjust to widescreen. You can see it in the log if it works.

coopolon

Make sure you have enabled cheats in PCSX2 and you have the correct region version of the game and it should automatically adjust to widescreen. You can see it in the log if it works.

Yup, thanks, I was running everything full screen right away so never thought to check the log, but it had all the info I needed there.

jediyoshi

When using pnach widescreen patches, do I have to change the aspect ratio manually with f6 or does it do it automatically?

You'd have to manually force it into a widescreen image through the emulator's options. As far as whether you need to use a game's built in widescreen function in conjunction with the patch, it's usually up in the air as to whatever the person who made the patch had in mind.

coopolon

Playing final fantasy x NTSC right now. Everything is pretty great except the audio is not syncing up with the lips. I don't think the lag is that significant because it is not very noticeable with other sounds, but it is really bothering me with the dialogue scenes, of which there are many.

The audio is actually behind the video so changing the latency won't help, I actually tried to decrease it as low as it would go which might have helped a little but the problem persists.

I am using spu2 x. Problem occurs with both xaudio2 and direct sound. Also occurs with both time stretch and no synchronizing mode. I turned on vsync but that didn't help, am getting a pretty consistent 60fps.

Edit: nevermind, I put the disc into my ps3 and the voices don't sync with the lips at all in the original game either. Heh, so many things I thought were just glitches of emulating are actually in this game, damn this game is soo wonky.

jediyoshi

Messing around more with patches, just noticed the persona games have character portrait fixes to them

pcsx2-2013-01-06-01-52tfud.jpg

pcsx2-2013-01-06-01-5jri1r.jpg

Drillow

Messing around more with patches, just noticed the persona games have character portrait fixes to them

[*img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-2013-01-06-01-52tfud.jpg[/img]
[*img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-2013-01-06-01-5jri1r.jpg[/img]

How do you fix them? Character portraits looks stretched to me :(

Dmax3901

Question: I have PCSX2 1.0.0, what are the best settings for Shadow of the Colossus? I'm having trouble getting it to run well and getting rid of the bloom/ghosting effect is proving difficult.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an easy way to have eyefinity support for games that have widescreen patches? Would be nice to be able to add this to any game.

Lime

http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-2013-01-06-01-52tfud.jpg[mg]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-2013-01-06-01-5jri1r.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Does this work on all character portraits or is it only some?

Dr Dogg

Question: I have PCSX2 1.0.0, what are the best settings for Shadow of the Colossus? I'm having trouble getting it to run well and getting rid of the bloom/ghosting effect is proving difficult.

Settings wise you don't really need to tinker with much as too much VU Cycle Stealing actually impacts performance or in the case of SotC it internally skips frames despite showing a solid 50/60 vfps. Smoothest settings I have found are EE set to 1 (default setting) VU set to 2 (any higher and animations get very choppy when post processing effects are present), Make sure MTVU is unchecked at this causes slow down for me and GDX set to directx9 at 3x native res. Sadly I can't check right now as I'm at work but it's fairly straightforward now.

Since ver 1.0.0 it's been a lot more stable experience playing SotC as I would occasional dip down to 20 rfps in scenes and areas, like the first opening field with heavy bloom where as now I settle for a compromise of a smooth 40-50 vfps. This is one of the few games that is really testing my hardware and instead of forking out £500 for a new mobo, cpu and memory to play a few games I can just pop in my PS2, albeit in blur-o-vision and kind of defeats the purpose of using PCSX2, I went and bough the HD collection for £12 in Blockbuster (and just like it was in South Park was a ghost town in there).

Is there an easy way to have eyefinity support for games that have widescreen patches? Would be nice to be able to add this to any game.

Most .elf patches just changed the display values to show past 4:3 and then amend the values with a hex editor so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to implement (granted a lot of trial and error to get the right values and size) but I think it would be game dependent if objects outside the normal display area would render. A lot of GameCube games have horrible pop in when using the built in widescreen hack that the object only displays when it comes into the original 4:3 frame.

R1CHO

Guys i think i have some kind of problem with the emulator and my gpu.

I have a 5770-1GB, i know that is not a very powerful card, but pcsx2 actually runs slower on hardware mode than on software mode :(

My cpu is a quad i5-3450 ivy bridge @ 3.1-3.5 ghz... so if i use software mode, i can run all the games that i have tried at full speed, usually it's not even that loaded, so if i unlock the framerate i can get more than 100 fps in some games.

BUT, when i enable the hardware mode (dx11 or dx9) with my gpu, to take advantace of higher internal resolutions, the framerate takes a hit... the gpu load goes to 100% and that is even using Native Resolution.

I have tried with different GSdx plugins, and obviously changing settins on PCSX2, but nothing.

Only game that runs smooth with Hardware acceleration is GoW... and it runs very well at 60 fps 4xnative resolution.

The others, a lot of the times with slowdowns. I have tried: GT4, Samurai Champloo, Way of the Samurai, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Rogue Galaxy...

Is this normal? Is the gpu that bad for the emulator?

Thanks in advantage.

jediyoshi

Does this work on all character portraits or is it only some?

Works on everything I've seen so far. I imagine whatever portrait pops into that space gets fixed fine. Only tiny problem I've noticed is that there's a little border on the top of the image if the game's running at a higher than native resolution.

Downloaded the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (SLES-55474) pnach file and while it enabled the widescreen fix, for some reason the FMV and portrait fixes are not working.

pcsx22013-01-1404-40-8huuq.png

pcsx22013-01-1404-38-giu0n.png

Is there something else I need to do beyond just dumping the pnach file in the cheats folder?

The fmv hack looks like it just stretches the image vertically. I can't decide whether this looks worse or not. I think i'd rather just remove that part of the cheat file and use the game/portrait fixes by themselves

normal:

widescreen fix:

edit - actually i'm an idiot and now I realize that the first one is the one thats messed up/squashed

Sanctuary

Finally got a true 1080p monitor that also just so happens to have 3D capabilities (not why I purchased it though, it was mainly to have a portable solution at 60hz for SSF4 AE that was not a TN panel and was also fast).

Currently finishing up DQ8 again, and am not doing anything special with it other than running it at 4x resolution. Screwing around with the 2D to 3D conversion also works surprisingly well. It's not needed at all, but the Viewmaster effect is pretty neat with that game.

strobogo

Banned
Does anyone play King of Colosseum II on this? If you do, is there anyway to get matches to play at 60fps? It usually runs 30-40 during game play, but 60 on menus and what not. It's not too big of a deal since you can change the match speed, which makes it pretty close to normal running level, but I was just wondering. I haven't had a computer that could handle PCSX2 so I'm still new to it.

luca_29_bg

guys someone know a revision where onimusha 3 works in hardware mode dx11 ? Pal version doesn't work on latest revisions, in dx11 playing more than 2x crash gsdx, and in dx9 there's no difference in resolution increase, seems always native!

:(

Redhood

Hey guys
been a longtime user of pcsx2
and I was wondering is there any fix for the black eyes in the Jak & daxter precursor legacy?

strobogo

Banned
If you're getting BSODs, the problem is not just with one particular game.

It's only for that game. It starts up, goes through all the opening videos perfectly. It locks up at the same spot loading the first mission and blue screens me. This is a completely clean and new hard drive that has no issues. No other game has done that, drive diagnostics shows no issues.

So far I've gotten kingdom hearts to run very smooth but for some odd reason the subtitles have weird lines coming out of certain letters does anyone know a possible fix for this

I want to replay SMT: Nocturne but noticed after playing 10+ minutes the emulator crashed and had to shut down.

Are there specific settings to run Nocturne?

And yes, I do have a physical copy of the game.

Right now I have it on dx9 hardware i tried dx11 hardware same text issue with the settings set to times 4

Forgot to add that the picture was 38mbs so I lowered the resolution and saved as a png

Green Yoshi

My graphics card is rather bad (Radeon HD 5570) but FF X, Kingdom Hearts and FF XII still works quite fine (Core3 2,9 Ghz, 6 GB RAM). Really impressed. Shadow of the Colossus only ran with 15 fps though, but I think that newer games are more demanding than early PS2 games.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
Does anyone have a working config for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? The game guide says it's completely playable, but every time I try to start the game, it completely locks up. I'm running rev. 5530, Gsdx 5464 (MSVC 16.00, SSE41), DX 11 Hardware, at 2x native.

My video card is a GTX 560 and I have 6 gigs of RAM.

I saw a comment somewhere that suggested running it only in Software mode, but if I do that, I only get like two frames per second. :/

Dr Dogg

How does SMT Nocturne run on this? Fully playable?

On earlier versions of PCSX I used to get some horrible bugs with shadows not stacking correctly and screwed up lighting. Haven't tried it in a while but I know there are some fixes and work arounds.

Jawmuncher

Playing some outbreak. Runs great but it randomly pauses. Anyone know of a fix for it?i am running from disc so that might be it.

Top Bottom