• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA on Wii U: "What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come." [Up: Full Direct Quote]

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
From their investor q and a.

Thanks to iMax. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47097981&postcount=54

To avoid any confusion, I've just re-transcribed the Wii U quote from a recording of the investor call. Here it is in full:

Originally Posted by Electronic Arts:
Q: I know Nintendo came out today and was a little bit more cautious with their outlook for Wii U sales, doesn't sound like this is a platform you guys are really pursuing aggressively on. What does this really say about the consumers' willingness to adopt the next-gen consoles — we should have something new from Sony and Microsoft, so what does that say with Nintendo going through the early struggles on the Wii U?

A: So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen— what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come — and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.

To be clear on the Gen4 thing:
Originally Posted by Nirolak:
DICE defines generations based on when 3D came into being on consoles and EA followed.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is there any audio of this?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dafuq are they talking about? Gen 4? What are the other 3?

Weird, they mention the PS4/720 as the OTHER next-gen consoles, so that alone gives me the opposite understanding, so maybe them saying the gen hasn't come yet means they're waiting until after all have arrived?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So, they're saying Wii U is not next-gen?

People will be pissed.

antonz

Would be neat for the gaming press to grow a pair of testicles and actually ask EA about why their relationship with Nintendo went so cold so rapidly.

params7

Banned
At least John Rici started good..the caller slammed WiiU basically but John sweetened it with 'Never count Nintendo out' etc. But yeah, WiiU won't be getting the focus from EA.

wrowa

The complete lack of 3rd party interest is Nintendo's biggest problem. Wii U will have an ever harder time than the Wii in that regard.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What do they mean by Gen 4? I've heard them use that term a few times before and I don't get it. 4th 3D gen, maybe?

What the hell happened between EA and Nintendo? Surely there must be someone out there gossiping about it - no journos interested in trying to crack this one open?

Would be neat for the gaming press to grow a pair of testicles and actually ask EA about why their relationship with Nintendo went so cold so rapidly.

"We have a strong relationship with Nintendo." Is that really what you want to hear? Because that's all they'd say.

Skyzard

Banned
We see no correlation between Wii U sales and what we expect from other next-gen consoles, can't talk a lot about that though.

That's pretty telling. I still expect them to pump out some ports to the Wii U not too long from now.

Kandinsky

Quite sad that they're already excited and invested in 720/PS4 compared to the console that's already out, but you only have Nintendo to blame here, they're making the same damn mistakes they did with the Wii*.

*regarding third party support obsly.

dkeane

That would involve them getting off their lazy asses. In stead they'll just make more Nintendo is doomed articles. Why not ask EA about how they were on stage with Nintendo last E3. It's strange stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
Before the craziness and accusations begin, I am pretty sure the way they're describing gens is different from the traditional definition of 'whatever the newest iteration of a console' is.

I think he means the distinction as the differences in a generation where you have to build new engines and such... with Wii U, you can pretty much port your PS30 engines with modifications and be done with it. To get the most out of Orbis/Durango, you're going to have to build from scratch.

For a game company, the distinction would be very real and a total different ballpark in terms of investment.

So I won't expect NHL/NFL roster updates each year with 1 or 2 amazing new improvements like "physics engine" or "stick control"

I'm not going to see Dead Space 4 , 5 and 6?

Woe is me.

qko

Gen 1-3 were when arcade-style home consoles dominated the landscape. EA was never a fan of those times being a PC company. I never figured they hated those times so much that they pretended it never existed.

antonz

"We have a strong relationship with Nintendo." Is that really what you want to hear? Because that's all they'd say.

And any journalist worth their salt would continue to press and not be a lacky though I digress. Gaming Journalism is more about getting freebies than being a journalist

And any journalist worth their salt would continue to press and not be a lacky though I digress. Gaming Journalism is more about getting freebies than being a journalist

You really think that's what it is? EA would reserve the right to not comment, or give non-answers. Blaming the press is misguided.

Top Bottom