• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter -PS4 will feature "hyperrealistic games" and "render games at 240fps"

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
okay so here's the original bloomberg article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...update-in-push-to-keep-consoles-relevant.html

fucking weird. I know Pachter says some dumb shit but this is pretty incredible.

Yes, in fact, I said that the new processors would be "capable" of rendering at 240 frames per second. I didn't say "FPS", know what a frame is, and know that most movies are shot in 24 frames per second.

It is unlikely that anything will be made in higher resolution than 2 megapixel or run at faster than 60 frames per second, which is pretty realistic, but the new consoles are being built to last past the end of the 1080p display cycle. If we go to 4K display, which I believe is 8 megapixel, they may not have to run faster than 60 frames per second (and the size of game files clearly becomes an issue, regardless), but I believe that the processors can handle rendering faster than 60 frames per second.

You're free to disagree with me, perhaps we'll find out in a few weeks when Sony announces a new console. Although I agree that the viewing experience will not be materially improved at 240 frames per second, I'm pretty sure what I said is right, and that the new consoles will be capable of rendering at that speed.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone wants to play a game with 5000 independently controlled characters on screen, but I'm pretty sure the new processors will allow some number like that as well. It wouldn't make sense to build that into the game, but I was asked what the difference in processing power would be, and I replied "probably around four times as fast in terms of data as the current generation consoles." When the follow up was "what does 'four times as fast' mean?'", I replied with the faster frame rate or greater number of characters quote.

I'm still amazed that so many GAF members have to be assholes when commenting on things I say.

nbthedude

Patcher's comment seems to have done a good job of hitting the internet gold mine of riling up all factions of fanboys.

-Oblivious console dudes who don't know these kinds of fps already exist on modern PC games.

-PC gamers who laugh at the idea that the new consoles will be able to do what their modern PC's can do.

-Nintendo fanboys who insist the WiiU is next gen and have penis envy.

-Xbox fanboys who are mad at the very idea that Sony's console may be more powerful.

If only he could have found away to make Sony fanboys angry with some kind of subversive slam about how crappy their UI/Online is he would have hit the grand slam.

Emitan

Maybe he is taking optimization (faerie dust+secret sauce) into consideration. I am very much aware that these new consoles will likely not be quite as powerful as a current mid-range PC, but I'm just saying this statement isn't as crazy as people are making it to be.

Well this would make sense if developers were only developing games with 360/PS3 spec in mind, but then they wouldn't be putting them on the newest consoles.

nbthedude

Well this would make sense if developers were only developing games with 360/PS3 spec in mind, but then they wouldn't be putting them on the newest consoles.

Unless they are dual developing for both current gen and next gen, which is very likely to happen in the first wave of software just like it did last gen.

Dlacy13g

I personally love Pachter, and get a bit of a kick out of him trolling the fanboys. And for all the hate he gets....he sure as hell gets quoted and sought out by many in the industry. He has carved out a little side gig for himself and I say good for him.

Anteater

Thanks Pachter, this means we'll be stuck at 24fps noooo :(

I personally love Pachter, and get a bit of a kick out of him trolling the fanboys. And for all the hate he gets....he sure as hell gets quoted and sought out by many in the industry. He has carved out a little side gig for himself and I say good for him.

haha yeah, i remember he says something about "activision should've charged 20 bucks for map packs, fanboys would buy it", I was browsing another forum at the time and everyone were mad.

I'm sure he's pretty self conscious about the things he said.

Omega

Banned
It seriously bothers me that this guy somehow gets paid for this shit.

I would do this clown's job for 1/3rd of the price. It's a win/win for everyone. His employer saves money, and we don't have to keep hearing stupid fucking predictions anymore.

Will render at 240fps to give the 240fps feel to gameplay but will only display at 30fps. This is stop the games looking like Korean soap operas with bad animation and anyway the human eye cannot see more than 30fps you idiots.

Even though this is a myth, who cares what you can see? You can feel the difference between 30 and 60. It's pretty obvious.

Not all of us play games just to look at how pretty they are. Some of us do like to play games, even though 90% of games this gen removed the gameplay aspect..

TrutaS

This is what I would expect a saleswoman on a general supermarket to say about a new console. Not an "experienced" video-game analyst.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Yes, in fact, I said that the new processors would be "capable" of rendering at 240 frames per second. I didn't say "FPS", know what a frame is, and know that most movies are shot in 24 frames per second.

It is unlikely that anything will be made in higher resolution than 2 megapixel or run at faster than 60 frames per second, which is pretty realistic, but the new consoles are being built to last past the end of the 1080p display cycle. If we go to 4K display, which I believe is 8 megapixel, they may not have to run faster than 60 frames per second (and the size of game files clearly becomes an issue, regardless), but I believe that the processors can handle rendering faster than 60 frames per second.

You're free to disagree with me, perhaps we'll find out in a few weeks when Sony announces a new console. Although I agree that the viewing experience will not be materially improved at 240 frames per second, I'm pretty sure what I said is right, and that the new consoles will be capable of rendering at that speed.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone wants to play a game with 5000 independently controlled characters on screen, but I'm pretty sure the new processors will allow some number like that as well. It wouldn't make sense to build that into the game, but I was asked what the difference in processing power would be, and I replied "probably around four times as fast in terms of data as the current generation consoles." When the follow up was "what does 'four times as fast' mean?'", I replied with the faster frame rate or greater number of characters quote.

I'm still amazed that so many GAF members have to be assholes when commenting on things I say.

Genuine question: When you say stuff like this do you think "This'll probably be a GAF thread"?

Dr Dogg

I would do this clown's job for 1/3rd of the price. It's a win/win for everyone. His employer saves money, and we don't have to keep hearing stupid fucking predictions anymore.

I'll see your 1/3 and do it for a 1/4.

If I made wild guesses and presumptions in my job and was to be found wanting down the line I'd be sacked on the spot, no question.

Ostinatto

Real life runs at 24 fps

u9xyBiZ.gif

My 486 was technically capable of outputting 240 frames. What you're saying is pure nonsense.

And we have games that put out large amounts of characters in real time already. Why do you say people do not want that?

malyce

Will render at 240fps to give the 240fps feel to gameplay but will only display at 30fps. This is stop the games looking like Korean soap operas with bad animation and anyway the human eye cannot see more than 30fps you idiots.

Maybe your eye can't, because it takes eyes that can see well past 30fps to realize that we are not the idiots in this scenario.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
He's either doing this all on purpose to troll everyone, or worryingly some kind of dementia is kicking in.

Or, you know, could just be this:
KrQ1b5q.png

BibiMaghoo

Shiiiiiit. You a Gaf member?

I think the problem is not with stating four times the power. That's cool.
The problem is that stating that amount of characters and frames is significantly more than 4 times the power we have now, leading to a silly headline.

apana

Some guy in the Hobbit thread said the screen basically disappears at about 600-700 fps, or some number like that. Can most televisions display any frame rate?

Yeah, it's 24 fps not 30 fps. Real life runs at 24 fps, which is why movies are filmed in 24 fps (to look as realistic as possible).

So everyday is truly like a movie. What they said was true! Spontaneous musicals and destructive random action does happen!

Oh and good guys always win

sphinx

the piano man
Judging from his post a little above yours he is mostly amazed how gaffers have to be assholes when commenting on something he said.

lol this, some guys are so busy hating on pachter that they don't evern realize he is reading and posting.

Pachter you are a GAF-celeb, for better or worse, I hope you have a thick skin, popularity comes at a price and the internets is the worst place to be popular, stay strong.

Omega

Banned
If that actually is Pachter, I want to hear what went through his mind when he said that FUSE would sell 5 million.

That's an estimate I would like to hear some clarification on. 240FPS isn't impossible, but FUSE selling 5 million is.

pants

This post isnt helping your situation

Akkad

Banned

That's why he'll always be making more money than you. If somebody wants to pay him money to make predictions then more power to him.

legacyzero

Banned

YOUR Human eye, maybe.

Oh, Pachter... :p

Dlacy13g

lol this, some guys are so busy hating on pachter that they don't evern realize he is reading and posting.

Pachter you are a GAF-celeb, for better or worse, I hope you have a thick skin, popularity comes at a price and the internets is the worst place to be popular, stay strong.

^This

Omega

Banned
That's why he'll always be making more money than you. If somebody wants to pay him money to make predictions then more power to him.

I could make predictions to. At least mine would be in the realm of possibility.

I've been going on game forums since the beginning of this gen. I've seen hundreds of Pachter quotes. NONE of them were even close to being right.

Haunted

Chances this is a misquote or misunderstanding across a language divide?
I hope so.

Such a quote would show a deeply fundamental lack of understanding about how games and this industry works. Concerning, really.

edit: ah, the thread has moved fast. I can see where this comes from with an example for "4 times as fast".

ITT:

People don't read the posts and don't realise they are insulting a Gaf member that is posting in the same thread.
If that makes a difference, you're doing something wrong.

Sentenza

Yeah, it's 24 fps not 30 fps. Real life runs at 24 fps, which is why movies are filmed in 24 fps (to look as realistic as possible).
That's an outstanding post.
I just wish you weren't so blatantly trolling because that would make it even more amusing.

Ranger X

LOL, Patcher is smoking some REALLY good shit.

We will all be EXTREMELY LUCKY if games at 60fps even just become "a target".

Top Bottom