• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

People...

Sony just can't copy Microsoft's design. I think they have pattens and stuff on it. IIRC that the reason why the WiiU Pro controller's second stick is above the buttons.

and even so...wouldn't they want to differentiate themselves?

besides the dualshock design is iconic.

Better grips and triggers and it will be awesome.

Duffyside

Banned
People...

Sony just can't copy Microsoft's design. I think they have pattens and stuff on it. IIRC that the reason why the WiiU Pro controller's second stick is above the buttons.

and even so...wouldn't they want to differentiate themselves?

besides the dualshock design is iconic.

Better grips and triggers and it will be awesome.

Does the patent say "we take the Dreamcast controller and put another analog stick on it"?

UrbanRats

ps4-mockup-2.png

Took another stab trying to simplify things a bet and taking some other ideas from others (liked roboplato's select/start location!)

Small edit on the one kairu made:

mk7iJuW.png

No need for the touch pad boundaries, the texture should feel different.

Wow.. wow, these are perfect.
Give me Mista Koo's with kairu's stick and it's a deal.

jett

D-Member
The reason the sticks are in the upper position on the Wii U Pro controller is to match the same layout as the Wii U Gamepad, I imagine.

Does the patent say "we take the Dreamcast controller and put another analog stick on it"?

Dem patents.

Isn't there a controller that you can get for current consoles that allows you to swap out the position of the D-Pad and the analogue sticks?

I'd love to see something like that for the Orbis or the Durango.

I'm sure Sony will have something close to the design of the DualShock design but i prefer the Xbox 360's analogue stick positions. I don't have large hands and feel like my hands are stretched so to speak with the DS.

^ ... And it's shit expensive :(

true, and apparently, it's not even that amahzing :D

and i doubt Sony would include such a system. Can you imagine the confusion among the average consumer. Also dealing with repairs and spare parts...i just dont see it happening :D

Microsoft tried this a little with the rotating D-pad on the latest iteration of the 360 controller.

ps4-mockup-2.png

Took another stab trying to simplify things a bet and taking some other ideas from others (liked roboplato's select/start location!)
Holy shit that is amazing.

Concept WARS! :D

made minor improvements to my formula based on other ideas(industrial espionage!):
ds4_2.jpg

Start & Select are still touch buttons on the surface.

And i still believe they will NOT change the silhouette. It is already so recognizable.
Oh my goodness!
With bigger sticks:

dualshock4b5pu9x.jpg

I personally do hope it goes away, it's not ergonomic or aesthetically pleasing.

What in the entire hell is this?

Maximus.

ps4-mockup-2.png

Something like this would amazing. The controller needs an evolution, shouldnt look like the last 3 generations in terms of the overall shape.

Gilby

If they round the bottom of the handles more, fix the triggers, and for the love of all that's holy spread the analog sticks apart some more, I'll be happy.

Yes, they only miss one thing:
2 additional face buttons for Street Fighter orgasms

Yup, I want 6 buttons for fighters and other games that would benefit from it.

I did 2 layouts of the buttons in my mockup a few pages back.

Hey Kairu I hope you don't mind if I modify your design a bit.

Here is my idea of how the DS4 would look with 6 face buttons:

STRAIGHT BUTTONS
ZaP2AzU.png

CURVED BUTTONS
py4PiMR.png

I also added that chromed ring around the Stick, it just looks so swag! lol

The + and - buttons were used by Sony in the controller prototypes, so I think it would be nice to have them back.

I think EVERYONE has the form factor wrong.

I do not expect this controller to be shaped like a dual shock whatsoever. The ergonomics simply don't work for a touch screen.

I believe it will be designed similarly to the vita, but obviously with a larger area allocated to ergonomics and the size of the analog sticks.

I think this mock-up has it correct (without the screen, and perhaps only slightly smaller):

ERZouWz.jpg

What would the touch pad be fore specifically?

• Keyboard input. Sony has a technology were a touchpad can detect your finger hovering above it, and you'd have a keyboard on the screen which you'd use you located your finger and input the correct keys.

• Extra buttons, you could easily fit 8 extra buttons on a decent sized touchpad, you wouldn't actually see them on the controller but you'd know where to touch the pad to activate them.

• A 3th or 4th stick input. Just slide your finger around the pad and it acts like a stick or laptop mouse cursor. Would be great for map control, just imagine pinch to zoom, rotate, etc.

I think EVERYONE has the form factor wrong.

I do not expect this controller to be shaped like a dual shock whatsoever. The ergonomics simply don't work for a touch screen.

I believe it will be designed similarly to the vita, but obviously with a larger area allocated to ergonomics and the size of the analog sticks.

I think this mock-up has it correct (without the screen, and perhaps only slightly smaller):

ERZouWz.jpg

That's a really nice mock-up but I don't think it realistic at all. Sony isn't looking to make a WiiU.

Mista Koo

Made a new more polished mockup:

frrrDBil.png

(Larger version)

The touch pad is clickable, click anywhere for start click bottom left for select (similar to the Macbook's touch pad).
In my previous one it was supposedly a tappable touch pad (tap to click, doesn't actually click).

Give me Mista Koo's with kairu's stick and it's a deal.
While I prefer the Xbox's stick, I wanted to stick with the Playstation stick (stick pun unintended).

plainr_

ps4-mockup-2.png

If another traditional type DualShock controller comes out again, this is what it should look like. I like everything about this except for the concave sticks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If another traditional type DualShock controller comes out again, this is what it should look like. I like everything about this except for the concave sticks.

Yeah, that's definitely the best of the mock ups. I have no preference on concave or convex sticks myself so I'm fine either way.

Haunted

It's used for a lot of stuff like item switching and stuff and is nicer for menu navigation and fighting games.
Most games use it for weapons/item change or quick acces to inventory.
I'm not saying to leave the newly created space empty.

But the way many games do item switching (4 directions, single input) is based on the dpad, not the other way around.

Menu navigation is completely manageable with a stick and a single genre (2D fighting games) is not a good enough reason to keep old conventions around.

Top Bottom