• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

Rikkun

Totally shitty move from Ubi.. Not that I wanted to buy it, and I have a WiiU.. I just hope for the ones who will wait for the game that the WiiU version won't be butchered just to let people buy the game on PS3 and 360 (it's crazy but they could sell 10x on those two platforms and nobody wants a bad port with slow downs etc.)

I surely won't buy the game at full price because September will be full of releases.. and I don't really care what Ubi thinks I think about shovelware and good games. Not Ubisoft.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
the outrage in this thread is hilarious, though. people take video game news so seriously
People were looking forward to a game just weeks from release and are now told they have to wait till September. Is it really so hard to understand why they are annoyed. Or are you saying you've never looked forward to anything ever?

kirby_fox

Banned
This is going to hurt sales.

Niche game going up against bigger titles in the same month? Just horribly dumb.

Was going to pick this up a little late after launch. Now it's launching in September when I doubt I'll have the cash to pick it up with everything else going on later this year? Yeah, Ubi sent the title to die.

Don't even care about port. I'd still buy it if it came out earlier because this time of year is quiet for games. Looks like I'll wait for it to hit $20 or less in a bargain bin.

day oneeeee <333

the outrage in this thread is hilarious, though. people take video game news so seriously

Or maybe people don't like being told repeatedly that a game is going to be an exclusive, and then told a concrete release date, and then 3 WEEKS before the game is released, to be told that it was all just a lie.

Also, people wanted to play the game. It looks amazing. It was my most anticipated Wii U game of the launch window. So yeah, I'm pretty angry.

Why would anyone interested in the game not buy it just because it got pushed back ? That doesn't help anyone.

I can't speak for others, but for myself, my schedule is much more open in the early part of this year compared to September through the end of the year, both in terms of working hours and in terms of other games that I want to play. February was essentially a perfect time for me to be able to pick up the game and have time to play and finish it, but with the delay until September, I really doubt I'll be able to fit it in at least until 2014. It sucks because I was really looking forward to playing through it with my fiancee over the next month or so.

Gleethor

Delaying the Wii U version for the sake of the other two is the worst part of all of this. You had a completely barren Q1 release window all to yourself and people dying for a new Wii U game would've lapped it up, but....September? Really?

Dude, why don't you calm down a bit.

They delayed the game. It sucks and I've been pretty pissed about this, but at the end of the day it's just a delay. If you really need some target for your anger, blame Nintendo for not getting shit out even with two years of preparation and not securing exclusives.

Blame Nintendo because Ubisoft can't keep promises?

OK

I am not supporting this company's product with my money. This was incredibly insulting and to think I will "just buy it anyway" is ridiculous. Ubisoft can go to hell.

Do you feel this strongly every time a game gets delayed? Imagine if this was the reaction to the recent GTA V news.

Sandfox

They delayed the game. It sucks and I've been pretty pissed about this, but at the end of the day it's just a delay. If you really need some target for your anger, blame Nintendo for not getting shit out even with two years of preparation and not securing exclusives.

I really don't think this is too big of a deal but the statement posted above kinda gives people a reason to be annoyed with Ubisoft.

Such as? I honestly can't come with examples of an exclusive game on a smaller install base doing terrible once it got ported on a bigger install base later on. Sure, it sometimes does worse, but terrible? Resident Evil code veronica did better on ps2 than on dreamcast for example. So did RE4 ps2 vs gamecube. http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Rayman 3, Grandia 2, JRPGS on Sega Saturn (pic one), and practically any niche title imaginable. Rayman isn't Resident Evil. I love how you mentioned Resident Evil Code Veronica, which sold significantly worse on the GameCube (Nintendo and higher install base) than the Dreamcast.

:-/

This includes 1.14 million copies sold for the Dreamcast and 1.4 million sold for the PlayStation 2.[39] Final tally, this includes the PS2 bargain bin pricing... The whole lifespan of the system. Considering all that, it's not a title you use to brag about. The Gamecube version isn't even mentioned. Less than 3 Million worldwide means less than .5 million for the Gamecube, and since that includes the PS3 and 360 re-release, probably less than that.

On a side note, if Nintendo fans are that irate about the decision. Maybe it'd be best to just cancel the Wii-U version. LOL

Well you're right. But as a matter of fact, wasn't Nintendo suppose to publish this game? They were putting money and effort to deliverit to us exclusively last year. And now the game is about one year late and isn't exlusive anymore.
This is clearly a dick move from Ubisoft, and I'm not gonna forgive them.

Anyway by september people will be waiting new gen for Sony/Microsoft and a lot -well some at least- of Nintendo games will be out. Itwill be aterrible timing for them.

StuBurns

Banned
It would have been very simple to either mention that there is "very interesting and potentially disappointing Wii U related news" in the initial tweet or when people followed it with obvious enthusiasm, it be mentioned then.

It wasn't.

I usually think people set themselves up for disappointment and put words in the media's mouth but IGN and Rich omitted that it was negative even when everyone waited with their positive anticipation.

It's not that difficult to understand.
No, not difficult, kind of embarrassing, and naive, but sure, simple enough.

Rikkun

Rayman Origins could be found two months after the EU release at ~20€.. with another September release they might end up the same way.
They also might be against a new Sonic game.. again
KuGsj.gif

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Rayman Origins could be found two months after the EU release at ~20€.. with another September release they might end up the same way.
They also might be against a new Sonic game.. again
KuGsj.gif

Sonic games are normally November so I think they'll dodge that.

Well you're right. But as a matter of fact, wasn't Nintendo suppose to publish this game? They were putting money and effort to deliverit to us exclusively last year. And now the game is about one year late and isn't exlusive anymore.
This is clearly a dick move from Ubisoft, and I'm not gonna forgive them.

Anyway by september people will be waiting new gen for Sony/Microsoft and a lot -well some at least- of Nintendo games will be out. Itwill be aterrible timing for them.

Nintendo was never the publisher, and we don't really know if they gave Ubi any money to secure exclusivity.

Or am I wrong?

I don't think this would be as much of an issue if the launch line-up wasn't so barren and disappointing.

This just in, all console launch windows are barren and disappointing.

No, not difficult, kind of embarrassing, and naive, but sure, simple enough.

I don't care about the news personally but Rich acting innocent in the matter when there is a simple way(a few words) you can keep peoples' expectations in check.....well, I don't feel sorry for him with the backlash.

He could have easily stopped the fire before it spread.

He didn't.

Likely intentionally.

jwk94

My lord, is the game getting delayed really that serious? You guys are swearing off a product that you would've bought in a few weeks just because it's been delayed a few months? Don't you have other games to play in the mean time?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's a business decision. How can you take it so personally?

It's pretty disappointing to people who were really looking forward to it on Wii U, totally understandable. But you're right: when the original sold nearly 2X on PS3/Xbox than Wii worldwide, and with no $$$ from Nintendo... it's a business decision. More people will get a chance to play it now, and the game will be more profitable. More smiles for everyone. That simple.

Lynd7

People are outraged because they are delaying the Wii U version just to wait for the ports. Completely understandable, why is that hard to understand?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My lord, is the game getting delayed really that serious? You guys are swearing off a product that you would've bought in a few weeks just because it's been delayed a few months? Don't you have other games to play in the mean time?

Pretty sure that's part of the problem.

?oe?oe

This is going to hurt sales.

Niche game going up against bigger titles in the same month? Just horribly dumb.

Was going to pick this up a little late after launch. Now it's launching in September when I doubt I'll have the cash to pick it up with everything else going on later this year? Yeah, Ubi sent the title to die.
I agree. Fair enough you announce it for 360/PS3. But delaying the Wii U version? They still could've soft launched the Wii U version as they were going to. And still advertise the Wii U version when the other versions come out and actually get extra Wii U sales in September when the userbase is bigger. 360/PS3 owners who will wait, will wait. We already know how many of them feel about Wii U.

Extra 7 months for a game that is complete is atrocious no matter how you spin it.

Ah. Is the exclusivity going to remain in Japan then?

It's pretty disappointing to people who were really looking forward to it on Wii U, totally understandable. But you're right: when the original sold nearly 2X on PS3/Xbox than Wii worldwide, and with no $$$ from Nintendo... it's a business decision. More people will get a chance to play it now, and the game will be more profitable. More smiles for everyone. That simple.

Or they could've released it for the Wii U this month and had Wii U owners AND 360/PS3 owners smiling. All they've done is added frowns to the mix.

Pretty sure that's part of the problem.

Well, Wii U owners have probably other games too play. But it is outrageous to see that the game is delayed for PS3 and X360.

And all for what? Strip down the game of it'S gamepad features so it can be downgraded on last gen hardware.

Ah. Is the exclusivity going to remain in Japan then?

That's not even the point. But I don't know, it's unclear.

I agree. Fair enough you announce it for 360/PS3. But delaying the Wii U version? They still could've soft launched the Wii U version as they were going to. And still advertise the Wii U version when the other versions come out and actually get extra Wii U sales in September when the userbase is bigger. 360/PS3 owners who will wait, will wait. We already know how many of them feel about Wii U.

This is much better than asking the Wii-U owners to wait. This is entertaining.

braves01

Banned
Rayman will be slaughtered at retail in September. Why not at least capitalize on the Wii U drought when the game is already near finish? As a Wii U owner with no huge desire for Rayman , I might've bought it in now, but in Sept. hell no. Next gen is right around the corner along with all the big fall releases.

Instro

It'll be good for the game in the end, as far as allowing everyone to play it without shelling out for a console, but its disappointing that its being delayed 6 months. I'm surprised they didn't just wait till after the WiiU version launched to do this though, it would have done pretty well with the current dead schedule on the platform. It faces much bigger competition later in the year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Here's a better translation for the Spanish impaired:

Err, that's pretty fucking cruel. Ubisoft effectively put them through crunch to get the game finished in time, then delayed it seven months after the crunch.

It'll be good for the game in the end, but its disappointing that its being delayed 6 months. I'm surprised they didn't just wait till after the WiiU version launched to do this though, it would have done pretty well with the current dead schedule on the platform. It faces much bigger competition later in the year.

Exactly! I bet the game will be more polished with more content as a result. The Wii-U will still have exclusive content. Unless...Ubisoft creates exclusive levels for the 360/PS3 versions only during this time.

I doubt that would happen. It's not like the game was cancelled for the Wii-U. A lot of overreacting.

I if i remember, it took 2 or 3 months for rayman origins to bomba to $20 then that June it was $10 at a best buy sale(bought it then)

and since i will busy with GTA V and zelda wind waker HD, not to mention other unannounced games.

so that being said, its sad but i might just have to wait to get this, it was perfect for this month cause i had no games for wii u, hell just release all 3 this month and i wouldnt care, i want to play it.

?oe?oe

This is much better than asking the Wii-U owners to wait. This is entertaining.
Eh? I work in Marketing. I understand why Ubisoft did this and I don't agree. And that was my reasoning. Will it pay off? Well, we'll find out later. It's not like it's massive seller, September is a bad month.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I can't speak for others, but for myself, my schedule is much more open in the early part of this year compared to September through the end of the year, both in terms of working hours and in terms of other games that I want to play. February was essentially a perfect time for me to be able to pick up the game and have time to play and finish it, but with the delay until September, I really doubt I'll be able to fit it in at least until 2014. It sucks because I was really looking forward to playing through it with my fiancee over the next month or so.

Yep. This is it for me.

A comparison: Gabriella's Ghostly Groove wasn't my most hyped game on 3DS, but during the barren launch spell, I would have definitely bought it. As it turned out, the game was delayed for some spurious reason, and when it did release - finally - it was up against better games like Mario 3D Land and MarioKart. As a result, I still haven't purchased GGG - it wasn't a deliberate decision - in fact, this is the first time I've thought of the game since then. In this business, timing's everything.

cloudyy

Rayman 3, Grandia 2, JRPGS on Sega Saturn (pic one), and practically any niche title imaginable. Rayman isn't Resident Evil. I love how you mentioned Resident Evil Code Veronica, which sold significantly worse on the GameCube (Nintendo and higher install base) than the Dreamcast.
They already had terrible sales to begin with though, and again, I'm talking about an exclusive title coming later to a bigger install base, don't remember Rayman 3 to be a timed exclusive on any system. Code Veronica on gamecube came 2 years after the PS2 version (the bigger install base).

Good for you. There's always someone who eats up everything I guess.

So he has more Wii U games than you and all of a sudden he just eats up everything?

Or is it that he disagreed with you, so you have to make a personal attack? Maybe he likes games a lot so he wants to, you know, buy more games.

big youth

realistically this will result in more sales

but a smarter decision, as others have already pointed out, would have been to release the Wii U version as planned, then release a special edition on PS3 and 360 in September. delaying the Wii U version makes little sense, and is clearly leaving a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Ha, Nintendo's situation with third parties is tragic at this point. But above that, I think the game is gonna suffer sales-wise from this decision. Sure, release it on PS3/360, but at least have the Wii U version now that it has all the spotlight to itself.

I now half-expect Sega announcing Bayonetta 2 for PS3/360 for Q4 2014 :p

They already had terrible sales to begin with though, and again, I'm talking about an exclusive title coming later to a bigger install base, don't remember Rayman 3 to be a timed exclusive on any system. Code Veronica on gamecube came 2 years after the PS2 version (the bigger install base).

Why are you ignoring the Gamecube port. (Bigger installbase and on a Nintendo Counsel)

Seems like a more accurate comparison when talking about a Nintendo Counsel? Also the game was on sale longer on the PS2 than the Dreamcast lifespan, and heavily push when it hit $19.99. So even the very limited games in your favor, don't really support your argument. Did I mention the Gamecube version?

Top Bottom