• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

kizmah

Considering the drought I was surely going to buy this game. Though I never really loved Rayman before the demo made me change my mind. Well Ubi, you just changed my mind again. This kind of shitting on a (admittedly still small) userbase is not to be rewarded with my money. There will be plenty of other titles for Wii U come this fall.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
if you're looking for respect, you've got the wrong hobby.

name me 5 3rd party games on any system you like, i guarantee at least 3 of them had severe crunch time.
Everybody get crunch time. Getting crunch time and then being told that was a practical joke is not the norm in the industry.

Keep those blinders on, though.

The only person who losses out in this is the person who decides to not buy a good game.because of a delay. It wont affect Ubisoft in.the slightest .Just because the game was delayed for a pointless reason doesnt mean the game is now shit.

Nobody's suggesting it'll be a shit game. People are pissed off because Ubisoft delayed a game that was already finished at the last possible second. Which is a garbage move regardless of platform. It's a low class slap in the face to early adopters on a user base that already has a chip on their shoulder about how third parties treat them.

I severely doubt many folks care about the multi platform jump. It was probably inevitable and a sensible thing to do.

Will it sell better overall in the long run? Probably. But for me this is most likely now a wait until it's 20 bucks type of deal. September is always a busy month, and with GTAV and probably a big Nintendo release like that Zelda TW remake + Pokemon it's basically guaranteed to get lost in the shuffle. All of these titles are guaranteed to murder Legends in terms of sheer content. Nintendo's big Fall releases will get my dollar vote over this easily, and rightfully so.

I get the decision but in my case (and probably any early Wii U adopter's case) this is a shit sandwich, pure and simple.

Good god, what a dick move by the management. Poor devs.

I'll keep my pre -order for now but honestly depending on what else releases in the timeframe I might just get it later after all.

Spierek

I'm happy that the game is coming out on X360 and PS3, but that Ubisoft decision is just plain mad. It's a day goddamn zero purchase for me (I love that IP), but just as this guy says:

It's releasing in september with GTA V, Wind Waker HD and so much more. It will sink and nobody will care.

The game is going to bomb really hard, just like Rayman Origins did (and it's not a surprise, since it was released with AC: Revelations, Modern Warfare 3, Halo: CE Anniversary and Saints Row 3).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's to make the execs at Ubi feel better. That way when the game sells like shit they can say 'told you Wii-U owners don't buy shit, thank heavens we made it multi-plat!'.

It's actually a considerate gesture!

Heh. I'd think only a very mall minority would actually NOT buy the game just in spite.

But Wii U owners need games for the console now, maybe not so much so in september. I think you're also more inclined to buy game at full price when exclusive. When it goes multiplat, you know you'll get it for $10 somewhere if you just wait a while (It'll be on pc/steam eventually for certain).

I'm sorry about the devs, but that decision of Ubisoft will be fatal for the game. It's releasing in september with GTA V, Wind Waker HD and so much more. It will sink and nobody will care. Why don't release the Wii U version in february, Ubisoft? To release it at the same time as the other versions? So, what's with Assassins Creed 3? Why Ubisoft don't wait for the Wii U release then? Such a dirty corporation ...
If Nintendo wanted to be total dicks they could launch Yarn Yoshi day and date with Rayman.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I've not checked but even though scribblenauts has been delayed it's supposed to be on e shop now.

Just checked. It's there on the EU shop. You have to search for it though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Disrespect clients and a business partner for a small profit is a bad idea. Ubi may have underestimated the backlash.

Am I the only one smelling consequences for the devs now after going out speaking critically about their publisher?

in that position people normally don't speak out unless they are sick and tired of something and are ready to face consequences, good for them for having the courage to do so it the OP is true

spwolf

ubisoft is all about making money so I am not sure why are you guys surprised that they made a move to make more money.

obviously it sucks big time for early adopters

flattie

Well they have one hell of a way of showing it.

They released a brand new, exclusive IP with the console which made good use of the new controller. They also put out a decent version of AC3. This delay isn't good, I accept that, but they have provided and will likely continue to provide good support for the Wii U - which is more than most 3rd parties right now.

Conan-san

They released a brand new, exclusive IP with the console which made good use of the new controller. They also put out a decent version of AC3. This delay isn't good, I accept that, but they have provided and will likely continue to provide good support for the Wii U - which is more than most 3rd parties right now.
Saying and doing are two totally different things.

Zombie U? Great. That's the past, however.

ubisoft is all about making money so I am not sure why are you guys surprised that they made a move to make more money.
obviously it sucks big time for early adopters

Most of us are disappointed not surprised. Ubisoft obviously lied about releasing it now, there's RichIGN's misleading tweet which didn't help one bit and the actual announcement was terrible too. "Hey everyone, be happy the Wii-U is delayed because you all get to play!"
Especially when people have been looking forward to it for a long time and it was almost here that was a bit insulting. Would it have been too hard to find better wording after all, they've had months.

No one gives a tinker's cuss about the game going multiplatform, it's ubisoft. It was expected.

It's a business sure but some of the bosses need to work out some PR. There again it is Ubisoft. My bad for expecting any different.

Stupid move, Ubisoft.

PS360 userbase won't buy this game at the price will be in the market. They did not with Origins, which saw just a moderate success at 20 dollars. Wii U userbase is pissed off, hence it will flop also there.

Leonsito

Stupid move, Ubisoft.

PS360 userbase won't buy this game at the price will be in the market. They did not with Origins, which saw just a moderate success at 20 dollars. Wii U userbase is pissed off, hence it will flop also there.

Yep, WiiU owners were expecting for this game after a months drought and thanks to a great demo, now this game is moved over to months were there will be more games in the WiiU, and with everyone pissed off.

And the PS3/360 don't give a fuck about this, and in September there is GTAV and everyone will know about PS4/Xbox 720.

Great move Ubisoft, you killed Rayman Legends, doing it multiplatform is a good move, but why delay it 7 months?

Childish, petty and a sure way to alienate a 3rd party who has provided support and is vocal about continuing that support.

how do you know Nintendo had no September releases planned?

To them Rayman had no business in September because Nintendo was expecting it like everyone one with a Wii U on Feb. 26th.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would have probably snapped this up by virtue of it being one of three games I'm remotely interested in on the Wii U. The reality is that I won't give a shit about it by the time it comes out as so much other stuff will be available (not necessarily on Wii U).

I can see why it might make sense to market all versions in one go and build up some hype, but I think they will have missed out on a window of opportunity here.

AniHawk

Am I the only one smelling consequences for the devs now after going out speaking critically about their publisher?

10 years of ubisoft montpellier:

2003: work on beyond good & evil wraps. it ships on three separate days in 2003 for the three main consoles. no marketing strategy behind it whatsoever. when the game fails alongside sands of time, ubisoft chooses to save sands of time over beyond good & evil, promising that ancel would be able to make a sequel.

2005: peter jackson is impressed with beyond good & evil and requests michel ancel head up the king kong game based on the film. ancel/montpellier stops work on bge2 and makes king kong.

2006: rayman 4 is being prepared as wii game. however, in order to make launch date, ubisoft's top brass make the team turn it into a party game. the team is really seriously given the time to do what they want to do at this point.

2007-2008: bge2 development starts again, and a teaser is shown in 2008. game is being made with a small team.

2009: for some reason, ubisoft frameworks starts up instead and ancel returns to the rayman franchise to see it through. it's meant to demonstrate the ease of development, and the rayman origins game is meant to be an origin story for rayman as well as an episodic series of games. the team is also pulled apart to focus on rabbids go home and the adventures of tintin.

2010-2011: rayman slowly gets turned from a series of episodic games into one retail game. the original idea for the game as an origin story is completely ditched. the game comes out with a commercial in which kal penn berates the game for thirty seconds and is subsequently murdered. i am not joking. after being wished good luck on bge2 from ramirez from skies of arcadia, michel ancel winces and says, 'it will be a while...'

2012-2013: work starts on rayman legends as a wii u exclusive. they also help out with the development of zombi u. unable to meet the first release date, they set a second one in february and work their asses off to meet it. when they do, the release date is pushed back and they are made to make the game again, but with feeling.

basically, for the last ten years michel ancel has been trying to make a sequel to one game and ubisoft seems oblivious to this. 'oh you're not doing anything. make king kong/rayman party game/rabbids platformer game/tintin/etc'

I still think the signal i have to send out is to not buy the game.

I also think it will sell poorly in general now. The white collars fucked up.

Sorry devs. I really feel bad for you.

This is like walking into a store to buy an item after spending an hour to find an item that fits your needs you go to checkout but as the person at the register starts to help you pay for your item, two people walk into the store and the sales rep walks away from the register ignoring you and helps the two people find the item that fits them, this process takes over 3 hours until those two people are ready to be checked out.

Would you still buy your item from that store after being ignored with cash on hand standing at the register... waiting 3 hours?

Maybe it is because I have had experiences being treated this way... ignored in stores like my money was no good. But I feel Ubisoft made a major misstep here that some people feel is just good business.

flattie

To them Rayman had no business in September because Nintendo was expecting it like everyone one with a Wii U on Feb. 26th.

Yeah. Nice try.

The implication of that post was that Nintendo could release it as a retaliation - day and date, not that there is a chance their paths could cross.

ugoo18

If Nintendo does have some first party games planned for September (Planned before this entire thing of course) and they contribute to the smothering/strangulation of RML's sales on the WiiU i better not hear in some backhanded way how it could not compete with Nintendo's IP's from Ubisoft.

EDIT: Miiverse is possibly going to become very toxic to the success of the WiiU version of this game.

Mael

Well if it bombs at least we'll know who to blame...
From what I heard it wasn't the smoothest development ever for people at Montpellier either.
Kinda shitty how the devs were thrown to the wolves too.

Hero

I don't feel in danger of a ban, but if you don't think you can continue a conversation without personally insulting me, I would love to hear why.

It does seem strange that you made a snarky comment about my emotional investment in a game being delayed but don't think you can continue discussing it without risking breaking a rule. It's almost as if you spoke about my sensibilities without considering your own vehemence first.

Oh, hey.

That's one definition of irony.

It's what he does.

2003: work on beyond good & evil wraps. it ships on three separate days in 2003 for the three main consoles. no marketing strategy behind it whatsoever. when the game fails alongside sands of time, ubisoft chooses to save sands of time over beyond good & evil, promising that ancel would be able to make a sequel.

2005: peter jackson is impressed with beyond good & evil and requests michel ancel head up the king kong game based on the film. ancel/montpellier stops work on bge2 and makes king kong.

2006: rayman 4 is being prepared as wii game. however, in order to make launch date, ubisoft's top brass make the team turn it into a party game. the team is really seriously given the time to do what they want to do at this point.

2007-2008: bge2 development starts again, and a teaser is shown in 2008. game is being made with a small team.

2009: for some reason, ubisoft frameworks starts up instead and ancel returns to the rayman franchise to see it through. it's meant to demonstrate the ease of development, and the rayman origins game is meant to be an origin story for rayman as well as an episodic series of games. the team is also pulled apart to focus on rabbids go home and the adventures of tintin.

2010-2011: rayman slowly gets turned from a series of episodic games into one retail game. the original idea for the game as an origin story is completely ditched. the game comes out with a commercial in which kal penn berates the game for thirty seconds and is subsequently murdered. i am not joking. after being wished good luck on bge2 from ramirez from skies of arcadia, michel ancel winces and says, 'it will be a while...'

2012-2013: work starts on rayman legends as a wii u exclusive. they also help out with the development of zombi u. unable to meet the first release date, they set a second one in february and work their asses off to meet it. when they do, the release date is pushed back and they are made to make the game again, but with feeling.

basically, for the last ten years michel ancel has been trying to make a sequel to one game and ubisoft seems oblivious to this. 'oh you're not doing anything. make king kong/rayman party game/rabbids platformer game/tintin/etc'

Sums it up right here. Gotta feel bad for Ancel. Wonder if there's ever going to be a point where just says fuck it and tries to make a game from his own vision via Kickstarter.

Oh come on, Nintendo should now scrap any first-party September release by virtue of the fact that a former (timed) exclusive they helped market by making it the sole game in many Wii U demo kiosks has now been massively and artificially delayed so that it releases on the same day as hastily knocked out 360/PS3 ports. It would be terrible form for Nintendo to release anything of note a month either side!

Writing a story here and need to know what the last name of this dev is? It isn't Xavier Poix, as many outlets have misreported. Poix is following the marketing copy (as he should be, he's the marketing director of the place.)

Yeah. Nice try.

The implication of that post was that Nintendo could release it as a retaliation - day and date, not that there is a chance their paths could cross.

I was not implying anything about your reply to the person, I asked how do you know Nintendo does not already have plans set for September?

I see many possibilities where people will come out calling Nintendo petty during September if for some reason they have a 1st Party Title anywhere near Rayman.

So I don't really understand your nice try comment... what exactly was I trying?

It's what he does.

Sums it up right here. Gotta feel bad for Ancel. Wonder if there's ever going to be a point where just says fuck it and tries to make a game from his own vision via Kickstarter.

If he were really that bothered, we'd be speaking of his spell at Ubisoft in the past tense. Unless Ancel is of the opinion that there'd be no interest from any other publisher, I should think his current role is a cushy position that works well for him.

I just saw the update in the OP that this is true... smh

Oh come on, Nintendo should now scrap any first-party September release by virtue of the fact that a former (timed) exclusive they helped market by making it the sole game in many Wii U demo kiosks has now been massively and artificially delayed so that it releases on the same day as hastily knocked out 360/PS3 ports. It would be terrible form for Nintendo to release anything of note a month either side!

pretty much... :)

Neo C.

It isn't my first time to say that big publishers are the worst in this industry. They were shitty before, but in this era of AAA games they have too much power and abuse it regularly.

I really wish independent studios would get more strength, but even with the current DD trend I'm very, very pessimistic.

If he were really that bothered, we'd be speaking of his spell at Ubisoft in the past tense. Unless Ancel is of the opinion that there'd be no interest from any other publisher, I should think his current role is a cushy position that works well for him.
Doesn't Ubi own the IP though? Se he's kind of trapped there, unable to work on his favorite project.

beje

Banned

Looking at the whole timeline, it's really sad. BG&E was one of my favorite games from last gen... Nintendo is taking too much time to hire Ancel and set up an European studio for him.

flattie

I was not implying anything about your reply to the person, I asked how do you know Nintendo does not already have plans set for September?

I see many possibilities where people will come out calling Nintendo petty during September if for some reason they have a 1st Party Title anywhere near Rayman.

So I don't really understand your nice try comment... what exactly was I trying?

The implication was in the post I was replying to, not your response. The nice try comes from sounding like you were calling me out despite it being completely clear that the original poster was implying that Nintendo could chose to release in reaction to this turn of events. If I've misinterpreted your meaning, then my apologies.

I have no knowledge of Nintendo's unannounced schedules and I have no issue with the games being released at similar times as a result of this delay. My point was simply that it would be childish for Nintendo to release their game at the same time in an attempt to punish Ubisoft.

StayDead

Really shitty thing for Ubisoft to do not only for consumers but also for the dev team.

No reason why they shouldn't have released the Wii U version on time. Zero.

Doesn't Ubi own the IP though? Se he's kind of trapped there, unable to work on his favorite project.

That would be like a talented songwriter continually resigning with the same dictatorial record label that refuses to release the kind of album(s) he covets, because they don't think they're commercially viable.

If the musician really cares, he walks away at the next opportunity, even if that means leaving behind the publishing rights to much of his work because he signed a shitty contract in the first place. If he's still good, he has enough of an imagination to produce more great work without needing to create a scene for scene remake of the past.

Unless I hear otherwise from the man himself, I have to assume that Michel Ancel is more or less as comfortable and happy as someone like Miyamoto. He's been where he's been for an awfully long time and that's a rarity in big-studio gaming nowadays.

AzaK

Well it's a shitty move to the wiiU owner, but not supporting the publisher that seems to be supporting the wiiU the most may not be the best decision
Not really. You gotta vote against the move somehow and money talks. However, anyone boycotting needs to email Ubisoft and tell them otherwise it will just seem like less sakes 'because Nintendo'.

The implication was in the post I was replying to, not your response. The nice try comes from sounding like you were calling me out despite it being completely clear that the original poster was implying that Nintendo could chose to release in reaction to this turn of events. If I've misinterpreted your meaning, then my apologies.

I have no knowledge of Nintendo's unannounced schedules and I have no issue with the games being released at similar times as a result of this delay. My point was simply that it would be childish for Nintendo to release their game at the same time in an attempt to punish Ubisoft.

Pokemon X and Y is slated September for 3DS that is the only think that may keep Nintendo from putting a big home console title there but Nintendo has a long history of having most of its bigger releases in the last 4 months of the year.

With PS4 / nextBox possible Fall Launch, Nintendo would probably want to have something big for each of those months just to keep the Wii U from total death. Meaning they have no reason to hold back and make room for any 3rd party.

Lizardus

Ubisoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about delay culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like buying exclusives where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over for sales, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is Nintendudes, after reading this thread, is not going to want to buy any of Ubisoft's games ever again, nor will they play these games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Ubisoft has alienated an entire fanbase with this move.

Ubisoft , publicly apologize and release the game now or you can kiss your fans goodbye.

Top Bottom