• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Enter thread and first thing that stands out is Twin Snakes buffoonery. How that failure could even come up in this thread unless the cutscenes in Rising are as assfuckingly ridiculous as TSs were... astounds me.

abesimpson180.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Twin Snakes is a worse game if just for the absence of a tight direction. MGS isn't MGS2, and because the game wasn't totally redesign the MGS2 mechanics simply broke the experience in favour of the player.

But all that really does is make the game brokenly easy. It's bad, but it's still very much playable, and looks really good to boot.

Cutscene changes didn't bother me. 99% of the game is identical and accurate, and changes made to Mei Ling and Naomi were canonised via MGS4. Athletic Snake was dumb but whatever, it made for silly cheesy cinema, and all the cinematography was quite excellent.

People would remember Twin Snakes more fondly if it was handled internally at KojiPro, and not Silicon Knights, was more subtle in changes to the cinematography, and didn't have brokenly easy gameplay (aka: the game was totally redesigned to accommodate MGS2 mechanics).

EDIT: MGS also has a hugely recognisable and iconic legacy, so much so that really any changes made to the cinema and gameplay would probably be frowned upon. It's like Ocarina of Time: everybody barked for remakes, but nobody really wants the game "remade" at all, they just want a new coat of paint. Unless MGS was remade mechanic for mechanic, shot for shot, only a new engine with new modern assets, there would be vocal complaints I think. Hell, you'd probably still get them.

Am I the only one here who actually liked Chico from Peace Walker? Very few seem to share this sentiment :(

Chico was fine. I also didn't mind Paz, as stupidly cliché as her character was, and Kaz is amazing.

The cast of Peace Walker didn't really bother me (including the hilariously named Hot Coldman) so much as the direction of the plot and continued circle jerk around The Boss. The story is just dumb and stupid and not really memorable for any good reasons. And this is on top of having the weakest, bizarrely non Metal Gear-like gameplay in the series.

I said it in another thread, but for all the shit I give MGS4 at least it was a distinctly KojiPro game. The first two acts were really good, and though the rest of the game went to shit there was still that unmistakable MGS/Kojima touch to the experience. Even at it's worst, the parts I hated, were distinctly Metal Gear. Peace Walker is just a soulless experience and a poor vision for the franchise.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Those were awesome.

Some were neat

Then there's The Boss tapes.

The Boss died for our sins yes we get it Kojima

If there's anything that ruined the Metal Gear canon it's the creator's infatuation with that character.

or maybe it's the fanbase's

I disagree, look at all that amount of useless info they give you about shit you don't care!

Yo Huey she's a lesbian dude give up already why are you telling me this

Twin Snakes is a worse game if just for the absence of a tight direction. MGS isn't MGS2, and because the game wasn't totally redesign the MGS2 mechanics simply broke the experience in favour of the player.

But all that really does is make the game brokenly easy. It's bad, but it's still very much playable, and looks really good to boot.

Not really, the game looked (and ran) worst than MGS2.

Also character models were shit. Those were constantly reminding you that you were not playing a MGS game made by the MGS people.

MGS deserved better, way better than a C-grade studio behind it.

I said it in another thread, but for all the shit I give MGS4 at least it was a distinctly KojiPro game. The first two acts were really good, and though the rest of the game went to shit there was still that unmistakable MGS/Kojima touch to the experience. Even at it's worst, the parts I hated, were distinctly Metal Gear. Peace Walker is just a soulless experience and a poor vision for the franchise.

I have to agree on this.

Yeah, the MGS2 aiming mechanics in TS made the game pretty easy. I can't really argue with that. I was never a stickler for wanting a MGS1 shot-for-shot remake though, which is why TS > MGS1 in my book.

JPKellams

Can we talk about our game please? :) LOL.

BTW - cutscenes were written by KojiPro, directed by KojiPro, recorded by KojiPro, edited by KojiPro. We used our cutscene team to implement them since it was our engine/assets. Hope that clears that up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not really, the game looked (and ran) worst than MGS2.

Also character models were shit. Those were constantly reminding you that you were not playing a MGS game made by the MGS people.

MGS deserved better, way better than a C-grade studio behind it.

Eh, I disagree. Well, some character models (like Meryl and Otacon) looked poor, but I thought everything else was pretty spot on. Environments looked great too. Framerate was shit, yes.

I did recently play through it in Dolphin though, which cleaned up the image nicely, as well as the GCN framerate issues.

m2ark42.png

m47zjqx.png

m26nk8e.png

m2emuwr.png

m3h1ug7.png

Individual grunts looked good too.

m58aalh.png

EatChildren

BTW - cutscenes were written by KojiPro, directed by KojiPro, recorded by KojiPro, edited by KojiPro. We used our cutscene team to implement them since it was our engine/assets. Hope that clears that up.

Outside of "I just played the demo for the upteenth time and it was amazing", I unfortunately have nothing to contribute until I get my game.

Speaking of: Konami is apparently shipping EU copies with the Gray Fox skin code. Do you know if AU comes under that umbrella?

Arozay

Outside of "I just played the demo for the upteenth time and it was amazing", I unfortunately have nothing to contribute until I get my game.

Speaking of: Konami is apparently shipping EU copies with the Gray Fox skin code. Do you know if AU comes under that umbrella?

You're not ozgameshopping it?

burgerdog

So do we know for a fact if the missing effects from the wolf boss in the demo are the result of a bug? I'd prefer to go with the no tearing and superior cutscenes version(ps3), but if there are effects missing then it's a much harder choice.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Paid off my copy today in full. :)

Unfortunately the visit was to get my 25 bucks back from the CE preorder. :( Too poor

Can't wait. Cushion diving for enough towards the guide

Well at least Jett will get his wish after reading this

Probably not the answer he was looking for though

EatChildren

You're not ozgameshopping it?

I always have issues with ozgameshop's postage time, and I want to play this sooner rather than later. I don't really have any experience with their pre-orders though.

Eh, I disagree. Well, some character models (like Meryl and Otacon) looked poor, but I thought everything else was pretty spot on. Environments looked great too. Framerate was shit, yes.

I did recently play through it in Dolphin though, which cleaned up the image nicely, as well as the GCN framerate issues.

Well, I don't think we'll agree on this one. But I remember back in the day being surprised how bad some models looked.

Specially snake.

MhQRPhX.jpg

Some were ok like Raven or Ocelot but most of them? ugh.

But most of the game is already spoiled by trailers! there's nothing for speculate or talk! lol

Also I knew that the quality of the cutscenes were more akin to KP than PG
no offense

Mr. RHC

So Platinum Games has had no significant influence on cutscenes at all in this game even though the original story , bosses etc. of Rising were scrapped for more freedom in Revengeance? It is hard to believe Etsu Tamari had no back and forth with PG.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So Platinum Games has had no significant influence on cutscenes at all in this game even though the original story , bosses etc. of Rising were scrapped for more freedom in Revengeance? It is hard to believe Etsu Tamari had no back and forth with PG.

I don't know how much JP plans to tell you

but there's a really good interview on CVG in which the game's director and producer sort of explain what the situation was like on both sides

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/382290/interviews/interview-platinum-men/?page=1#top_banner

and also the Edge article linked earlier by a gaffer

http://www.edge-online.com/news/metal-gear-rising-kojipro-and-platinum-clash-all-time/

Gbraga

When the Bruce Lee costume DLC will come out?

deim0s

Release the OST already. ;)

jett

D-Member

Huh, that's interesting. They still remind me a lot of Vanquish's. :p

Are there going to be any nunchaku type of weapons?

rvy

Banned
Game needs costumes, make it DLC if you have to. MGS 2 Raiden would be nice. So would Olga's exoskeleton, or Raiden using Gray Fox's exoskeleton like in Substance.

Please.

Well I pre-ordered this. Can't say no to a platinum title and can't say no to third person hack and slash.

I just wish more gamers would embrace the platinum games so they had a bigger budget and more publisher support, and Bayo2 wouldn't be an exclusive...*sigh*

I'm starting to think that the script =/= story. When they say they "scrapped the script" I'm thinking now they were refering to the gameplay encounters and overall flow of the game from beginning to end, and when cutscenes occur. Where has the actual writing and story remained unchaged.

edit: nvm looks like I was wrong. PlatniumgameJP clarified that Kojipro just directed and produced the cutscenes(which means "writing them"), where as Tamari wrote the story in collaboration with Kojipro

Uraizen

Banned
So... do we know whether or not the gray fox costume will be made available after release for NA? Not just speculation, but a 100% confirmation? Last game I ordered from gamestop arrived busted and I would rather not deal with that again if I don't have to.

EatChildren

Old Snake DLC or bust.

Mechazawa

So... do we know whether or not the gray fox costume will be made available after release for NA? Not just speculation, but a 100% confirmation? Last game I ordered from gamestop arrived busted and I would rather not deal with that again if I don't have to.

Nope.

But you know Konami is gonna milk that sweet, sweet costume money. How else are we gonna get MGS4 Raiden?

Metal Gear - subjectively deep, subjectively cheezy (personally loved it all, even the hated Portable Ops and Snake's Revenge)

But anyway, what female characters are people expecting to play in this. MGS2 Olga? Mistral somehow? The only female I would've expected to be possibly playable for a Rising game was that female cyborg ninja from Yoji Shinkawa's concept art of MGSR, and that's by the wayside now.

JPKellams

Of course we worked on the story together, its a collaboration. No one, at any point, has claimed otherwise. If you are going to credit someone for writing the story, it is going to be Etsu Tamari. He put pen to paper and wrote it based on our agreed upon outlines. And if you are going to credit someone for directing the cutscenes, it is Mr. Kobayashi. BTW - They both have desks here at PlatinumGames. This is a video game with a ton of moving parts, tons of people working together, which is what collaboration is about.

If people on this board want to make it out to be some school project where the teacher forces you to work as a team, but you each just do your own separate parts and hope it comes together in the end, I'm certainly not going to let the facts stand in the way of anyone's opinion. Jeez.

rvy

Banned

DyeYung

Pretty redundant how ignorant fan boys say that this game tries to copy DmC when the original creative director of the Devil May Cry series (1-4) is now apart of Platnuim Games (who are developing this masterpiece of a hack-and-slash). Just another testament of how flawed fan-boyism really is.

wut

Who is the original creative director for DMC up to 4?

Top Bottom