• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend on Steam : yes, it is ($15)

JoseJX

I hate to ask because it sounds like port begging, but since the Cave is (will be) ported to OSX and Linux and this is the same engine, will we eventually see OSX and Linux releases for Brutal Legend too?

Thanks for the PC release, this is awesome, double dipping after playing it on PS3.

I hate to ask because it sounds like port begging, but since the Cave is (will be) ported to OSX and Linux and this is the same engine, will we eventually see OSX and Linux releases for Brutal Legend too?

Thanks for the PC release, this is awesome, double dipping after playing it on PS3.

We can't promise anything, but I think you can look at our releases over the last couple years and see a consistent (if time-consuming) trend towards supporting as many personal computer platforms across our games as we can. It all costs time and money (otherwise all of our games would be on every platform by now!) but we're slowly trying to work towards a goal of heavily supporting open platforms. The better a game sells on one platform, the more likely we'll be able to fund the work to put it on yet another platform. I know that seems like a bit of a self-serving answer! But overall we do have an eye towards ever-growing platform support.

Gbraga

Loved it on the 360. I still don't understand the RTS complaints. I thought they were done really well, considering your playing with a controller. It was awesome, leading a Rock Army against the evil Doviculus. I thought it controlled well and looked great. It was awesome to command your troops to fight and then bust out the FACEMELTER. Bought, again. Along with the soundtrack for $18.74 it's a great deal. I never once played the multiplayer though so I can't speak for that. Was the DLC all MP? I honestly had no clue that it had DLC.

It's not nice to give you an RTS if you bought an action adventure game. I loved it, but it's very understandable that people hate it.

If it was a racing sim instead of the RTS we got, I'd be on the hate side as well.

sn00zer

Just as I do in every Brutal Legend thread

Brutal Legend 2- a game developed by Double Fine in conjunction with Vigil

It's not nice to give you an RTS if you bought an action adventure game. I loved it, but it's very understandable that people hate it.

If it was a racing sim instead of the RTS we got, I'd be on the hate side as well.

Right, I agree. But did they not show ANY footage of the overall RTS/command mode? I don't know myself. This game was not on my radar when it was released as I was working 70 hours a week during it's previews and demos.

BUT, you did get an action adventure game. You also got one that had some RTS stuff in it.

JoseJX

We can't promise anything, but I think you can look at our releases over the last couple years and see a consistent (if time-consuming) trend towards supporting as many personal computer platforms across our games as we can. It all costs time and money (otherwise all of our games would be on every platform by now!) but we're slowly trying to work towards a goal of heavily supporting open platforms. The better a game sells on one platform, the more likely we'll be able to fund the work to put it on yet another platform. I know that seems like a bit of a self-serving answer! But overall we do have an eye towards ever-growing platform support.

Thanks for the response! I was already in, but this just reinforces my decision. Double Fine are so awesome, thanks for the ports!

jett

D-Member
67910.jpg

The Brutal Legend game we deserve and need right now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If any PC gamers out there haven't played this and want to know what it is, easiest way to describe it is that it's the sequel to Sacrifice that we never got.

Well Sacrifice with a fucking bitching soundtrack and an awesome world to explore.

SparkTR

If any PC gamers out there haven't played this and want to know what it is, easiest way to describe it is that it's the sequel to Sacrifice that we never got.

Well Sacrifice with a fucking bitching soundtrack and an awesome world to explore.

Though the RTS sections are mindnumbingly simply and lack any depth (at least in SP), especially compared to Sacrifice. In my opinion the game stands on its atmosphere and soundtrack (also the DoubleFine charm is there), the rest of the game ranged from mediocre to okay. But those strong points go a long way and because of that I've already rebought it on Steam. I also want the chance to play a MP match since the community is pretty dead on consoles.

I just realized it is the first release of the game on PC!! One of those games that I missed for not having an HD console for any substantial time

Preordered as soon as I heard about it this was one of the games on my dream pc port list a long with Red Dead Redemption. Don't let me down Double Fine I freakin loved this game on 360.

Come on guys if everyone preorders a copy maybe we will get Brutal Legend 2!

scitek

I'm excited to finally get to play Brutal Legend, and the added features like SSAO, but I'm even more excited about the rest of that leaked list likely coming to fruition. (Halo.)

I get the bait-and-switch from marketing, DF has admitted that was a mistake but more on EA's part. I don't get the bait-and-switch when actually playing because to me, it felt like a natural evolution from hack-and-slash to being provided epic battles with more tools. I've always wanted FPSs to then evolve into RTSs seamlessly (which some games are now doing), and this was like that for a typical action game.

The RTS sections were like, "test your might" in all you've learned previously (tag-teaming, guitar solos, driving, enemy weaknesses) like a boss fight in Zelda. I have a feeling it's more people's distaste of RTSs as a concept as you can see in any "genres I won't try/can't get into" threads.

Played a couple matches and man, it is good to be back. Drowning Doom is as fun as ever, and I nearly forgot about all the great dialogue the units have whilst idling near them and teaming with them. Hopefully I'll be able to get some team battles together, never could get enough players to do it on Xbox.

Pre-Ordered with soundtrack.

Hopefully this isn't a fixed 30fps. Either way it will run WAY better than the console versions, I'm sure of it.

Tim Schafer, you now did it twice. This is the second time I pay twice for one of your awesome games (the first one being Psychonauts).
You can gladly have all my money.

derFeef

Wait what? I knew this had some kind of strategy elements, but really? Sacrifice was amazing.
(already pre-ordered btw.)

What is the MP like?

Wait what? I knew this had some kind of strategy elements, but really? Sacrifice was amazing.
(already pre-ordered btw.)

What is the MP like?

It's an RTS/Action/DOTA kind of hybrid where you capture nodes for "fans" (gold, really) and ultimately destroy the opponents base. There's a heavy focus on front lines combat and killing the enemy faction's champion for gank money. Each unit has a unique team up attack that can be game changing, so you will be flying between squads of units to team up with your frontliners, whilst trying to prevent your opponent from doing the same. On top of all this, each champion has several different guitar solos that work on cooldowns with varying effects from summoning a group of crazed motorcyclists around the player character, to block enemy building for a set period, to bringing a literal lead zeppelin down upon the enemies units. It's really frantic at times and a ton of fun.

Here's the video when you first start multiplayer that lays out the whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqx3Y8GDsg

Video uses xbox controller, but Brutal PC shows keyboard controls of course.

inky

The only thing I remember about Brutal Legend is it having a pretty cool intro video. Gameplay didn't grab me tho.

We'll see.

Mordeccai

When this game came out, I nearly shed tears that I wouldn't be able to buy it.

Now four years later we have come full circle as I am weeping profusely and clicking the add to cart button on steam. I have heard so much good about this game and I can't wait to play it!

Thank you for this port!!!

Krackatoa

I loved the game, but I feel it could have done far better if the narrative did one of these:

1. Unlock final skill (In this case,
    Stonehenge
    )
  2. All previous Battlefields become Contested by the enemy due to some relevant plot point.
  3. Player must go back and replay more difficult encounters in already established areas using full skill set (Some non-crucial but stat buffing unlocks should still be acquirable).
  4. Player finally comes to fight Final Boss.
  5. Game ends.

To me, this would have helped the pacing so much, and wouldn't have been such a resource draw in development (reused assets). Obviously they never got a chance to do this (and I'm sure they were pressed for time in development) but it would have stuffed a lot more content into the SP, while letting players mess around with some of the skills you don't acquire until much later.

I love this game, I love this setting. At $15, it's definitely worth the purchase.

Ledsen

I loved the game, but I feel it could have done far better if the narrative did one of these:

1. Unlock final skill (In this case,
    Stonehenge
    )
  2. All previous Battlefields become Contested by the enemy due to some relevant plot point.
  3. Player must go back and replay more difficult encounters in already established areas using full skill set (Some non-crucial but stat buffing unlocks should still be acquirable).
  4. Player finally comes to fight Final Boss.
  5. Game ends.

To me, this would have helped the pacing so much, and wouldn't have been such a resource draw in development (reused assets). Obviously they never got a chance to do this (and I'm sure they were pressed for time in development) but it would have stuffed a lot more content into the SP, while letting players mess around with some of the skills you don't acquire until much later.

I love this game, I love this setting. At $15, it's definitely worth the purchase.

Recycled content padding before the end? Noooooooooo thanks.

Krackatoa

Recycled content padding before the end? Noooooooooo thanks.

Have you played the game? It's disappointingly short, and by the time you get your neat skills, the game is over and there's nothing left for you to fight. The game would not be impacted in a negative way by giving players another, more challenging run in such sicknasty locales.

Ledsen

Have you played the game? It's disappointingly short, and by the time you get your neat skills, the game is over and there's nothing left for you to fight. The game would not be impacted in a negative way by giving players another, more challenging run in such sicknasty locales.

I have played the game, and thought the length was pretty much perfect, with some additional running around collecting stuff while listening to awesome music if you wanted to. Adding even more tedious RTS battles in the same arenas you already visited (if I understand you correctly) would've probably soured me on the game completely. The final few were already hard enough on normal.

Proven

I get the bait-and-switch from marketing, DF has admitted that was a mistake but more on EA's part. I don't get the bait-and-switch when actually playing because to me, it felt like a natural evolution from hack-and-slash to being provided epic battles with more tools. I've always wanted FPSs to then evolve into RTSs seamlessly (which some games are now doing), and this was like that for a typical action game.

The RTS sections were like, "test your might" in all you've learned previously (tag-teaming, guitar solos, driving, enemy weaknesses) like a boss fight in Zelda. I have a feeling it's more people's distaste of RTSs as a concept as you can see in any "genres I won't try/can't get into" threads.

This is why I loved it. The RTS mechanics were minimal and it was all about taking the mechanics from the beginning of the game and putting it on a larger stage. The multiplayer is almost exactly how I feel like a MOBA should play, with a 2v2 or 3v3 setting.

I have played the game, and thought the length was pretty much perfect, with some additional running around collecting stuff while listening to awesome music if you wanted to. Adding even more tedious RTS battles in the same arenas you already visited (if I understand you correctly) would've probably soured me on the game completely. The final few were already hard enough on normal.

This is also how I saw it. Despite the fact that it felt like they had to cut off an entire continent, they managed to finish the game with ample encouragement to explore without any fatigue growing in me.

MGrant

Played a fair bit of the beta last night. Looks great and runs smooth on a 560ti/2500k system, downsampled from 3840x2160 to 1080p. Only two graphical issues concern me:

1. Ophelia's ink/shadow effects aren't working yet, and her wings are a featureless black sheet.
2. The ice level has some really weird artifacts in the fog.

But I'm pretty sure both of these will be fixed along with some other great additions once it releases.

megalowho

Think I'm in for a double dip. Got stuck at one of the late game battles originally, always wanted to finish though. Game is fun just driving around collecting stuff, so much creativity on display.

This game has Jennifer Hale, so it's automatically awesome.

Waaaaaaaaait a sec... Jennifer Hale voices Ophelia? How in the hell didn't I notice this? o_O

I finished the game and it was the perfect length. Padded content can go to hell, frankly. And considering what most people (not counting myself, but still) loather were stage battles, I don't want to think what they'd have to say about having to do them again.

Dr Dogg

Sods fucking law! I go on holiday for a few days away from internet land and without thinking about the Steam release rumors or even if they were true that this would be released any time soon so went and picked up a copy on 360 on Tuesday. Well bugger it double dipped, in the space of 3 days no less.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The promise has become much more specific. We are committing to uncapping the framerate before the beta is over of this game. See this post:

http://www.doublefine.com/news/comments/bruetal_legend_now_rocking_your_face_on_pc/

We'll roll this into our other games over time. We can't give a specific date for that, but for Brütal Legend it is happening very soon. All of those other games run on the Brütal engine, so it'll be possible for real.

Well shit... pre-ordered, then!

Proven

I haven't had any time to play any of this at all.

I also wanted to ask if they were making any changes to matchmaking. Primarily, if it was possible to queue up for 2v2 games and the like without having to have a pre-made party.

Never really toyed with the multiplayer at all in the 360 version, but I'm really liking what I've played of the beta (though I've been sticking to bot practice matches so far). I do wish there was a way to find team games without needing a premade party. That would really help me feel more comfortable jumping into matches against other players. Still, loving it so far and I hope a community forms around the mp for this as that could be fun times.

Is anyone going to create a NeoGAF steam group to possibly get some 4v4's going?

Top Bottom