• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is John Romero gearing up for a new project at Square Enix?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just caught this on Facebook. A few hours old, but I didn't see a thread about it. Any guesses?

okhxYUh.jpg

mcdoomington

Neo Member
My guess is it's another Loot Drop mobile game based on a SE IP - a deal similar to the Ghost Recon project they were working on with Ubi that got shitcanned.

fvng

I remember years ago in an interview in PC Gamer or CGW he said something like he wanted to make a game as emotionally powerful as FF6, then he said the opera scene in FF6 made him cry.

(Interview circa Daikatana)

Im up for it.

Keen, Wolf, Doom, and Quake werent awesome by accident.

I'd like to think him and Tom Hall helped with that.

I remember years ago in an interview in PC Gamer or CGW he said something like he wanted to make a game as emotionally powerful as FF6, then he said the opera scene in FF6 made him cry.

(Interview circa Daikatana)

I it didn't make me cry, but it definitely left a impression on me. I think it was the first time a game (especially in that era) could come across like that. I was ~13 at the time though.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Alternative theory: maybe he's trying to buy the rights to something he did that Square Enix owns for purposes of a Kickstarter?

I still wanna hear more about that too, J.E. Sawyer worked on and hated that game as well.

He and Romero made characters for a Gauntlet revival (a dragoon and an "actress," I guess like a Final Fantasy mime,) then Midway shit the bed and everything they came up with got cut from the final game. Damn shame, since I had followed previews of that game back then and liked what little of Gauntlet Legends I played on the PS2, and was waiting for it

Everyone looks like a bitch in the Final Fantasy games so this makes sense....lol

If they hired him to UN-bitch things now THAT would be special.

Romero: "Look, I know what a bitch looks like..."

Zarx

SE are always talking about how profitable their social/browser games are and John Romero works at a company that makes social/browser games. Is there any doubt what kind of game this is?

Top Bottom